Fly Casual X-Wing Simulator

By s1ickrick, in X-Wing

8 hours ago, Sandrem said:

Hello everyone.

I am the author of this simulator.

I am big fan of X-Wing Miniatures Game, have big collection of all factions and regulary visit (and sometimes even win) local tournaments.

I created this simulator for casual solo play vs AI, it is free (no in-game purchases, ads etc) and open-source.

I hope that this simulator will increase popularity of the real game, and you will buy a lot of miniatures that you tried in it. I will be very unhappy if my game will replace real miniatures for someone - so, please, continue support business of FFG/LFL, they created awesome product!

I think that one day I will stop it's development due to request of licence owners, but I think that open-source code still will live in web, supported by another fans.

If I will not get that request in few neastest days, version 0.4.0 will be released on Friday, with new content, bugfixes, and new awesome squad builder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWMWvfp9zIc

Have fun and fly casual!

You rock, man. Appreciate the hard work. I tested out a bunch of new ships last night and will be going to spend some money at my local game store this weekend!

I love this program. I just got into X-wing about 6 months ago and this program has got me to buy a ton of ships I never would have until I flew them on here. Keep up the good work.

I tested it out last night and was impressed. :wub:

The animations, the models, the ease of use--very, very cool. A BIG thank you to all the contributors of this project.

I'll be patient, but boy, do I want to see some more upgrades.

Anyone know how/if you can change the location or type of the obstacles?

1 hour ago, Force Majeure said:

Anyone know how/if you can change the location or type of the obstacles?

No, this is not ready.

Tested out the first version, this is amazing! The graphics are fantastic, and I had a lot of fun! My current favorite play mode is playing as Soontir Fel against three or four Rookie Pilot X-Wings.

I'm really looking forward to seeing where this heads, and seeing when it'll include online play. I'm looking forward to playing this against my friends!

For future stuff, I'd like the ability to set up your ships at angles and control asteroid placement, and I would like to see more pilots and upgrades added. Finally, it's not a huge deal for me, but I imagine people who are less familiar with the cards would like to be able to see the card abilities when squadbuilding and playing. And going above 100 points would be nice. But those are all just little things - this is fantastic!

Network multiplayer is present, but it is on early stage of development, so be ready to encounter bugs.

You can change angles of ships during setup using keys Q/E, CTRL+Q/E, R

Check new squadbuilder - it shows card in full size.

Edited by Sandrem
31 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

I'd like the ability to set up your ships at angles and control asteroid placement, and I would like to see more pilots and upgrades added. Finally, it's not a huge deal for me, but I imagine people who are less familiar with the cards would like to be able to see the card abilities when squadbuilding and playing.

I just got version 0.4.0 up and running: Squad building is now much like you'd imagine. You select a faction by clicking on what looks like the back of a pilot card, then you have a stable of thumbnail pics of the different ships. Click on a particular ship and you then see the available pilots in card form. You then select your pilot and click on the card again to add the upgrades. These are shown as the cards as well. Overall very intuitive.

Regarding rotating ships, you can do that if you press the "Q" or "E" keys if you're using a computer. Not sure about tablets/phones though.

It's hard to believe how simple and beautiful this thing is. I'm tickled to see actual missiles firing and ships barrel rolling and the distortion from the engines. It's so good!

One thing I'd put on a wish list is to be able to both zoom out so see the whole board and to toggle the ship/pilot overlays on or off so I can see more of the board

** :ph34r: Ninja'd!**

Edited by Force Majeure
8 minutes ago, Force Majeure said:

One thing I'd put on a wish list is to be able to both zoom out so see the whole board and to toggle the ship/pilot overlays on or off so I can see more of the board

Maybe not exactly as you want, but you can try to switch to top-down view (СAPS LOCK) and play in this mode.

rSHqGhF.jpg

Edited by Sandrem

Hey, just a heads up, both Windows Defender and Norton Antivirus don't like this newest version. I was able to isolate it from the antivirus and run it just fine though, and it doesn't seem to be doing anything weird to my computer.

I really like all the new features, looking forward to this building up a big enough community that I can play online! One problem I see is an inability to save lists and/or import them from a squadbuilder. I'd also like it if eventually this gets ported to the Microsoft Store, etc. and gains the ability to automatically check for and install updates. Fantastic work though, this is awesome!

Keep up the good work! Cheers!

9 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

One problem I see is an inability to save lists and/or import them from a squadbuilder.

In squad builder, click on name of squad on top (that one with arrows up/down)

Problem with antiviruses is known - exe-file is too new, doesn't have good reputation in the web, so some antiviruses are suspicious.

https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/4bf1a69fdaf016c686248dccbaabbfebf01161d173a9a119a5623ecfdcb46772/detection

Edited by Sandrem

This looks great.

I would like to 2nd the request for HotAC campaign.

Is there a way to rotate the map while playing?

Right click and drag to change angle/rotate.

edit: (I'm just so flippin' sneaky, FM!)

Edited by nexttwelveexits
neener neener

Right-click and drag the the mouse while you hold down the button.

:ph34r: 'd again!

I got this popping up some how. I've had to quit and start a new game. Just twice so far, out of two games.

d4tBQUt.jpg

Edited by Force Majeure

Sandrem it is amazing. Keeps getting better. Is there a controls reference anywhere? I been looking but can’t find anything with all the hotkeys and such.

27 minutes ago, Force Majeure said:

I got this popping up some how. I've had to quit and start a new game. Just twice so far, out of two games.

d4tBQUt.jpg

Same on my 3rd try at finishing a game. Had it on 3.2 as well and always with certain ships - Star Wing, K Wing, maybe B wing (which I'm currently trying on 4.0)...

Been loving 3.2, very happy to see development. Big thank you to you, Sandrem.

First off, thank you thank you thank you!!! I used to use squad benchmark a lot before it stopped updating.

Secondarily, I installed on my android and I am also getting the red text command prompt and some bugginess. Is that to be expected on the platform?

1 hour ago, Force Majeure said:

Thank you for report. I will investigate, maybe hotfix will be released.

41 minutes ago, s1ickrick said:

Is there a controls reference anywhere?

No refence.

Q/E, CTRL+Q/E, R during setup
CTRL+A during planning phase (Swarm manager)
CTRL to see and select red maneuvers in maneuver selection window if ship is stressed
CAPS LOCK and ALT in any phase

5 minutes ago, Ohnoeszz said:

Secondarily, I installed on my android and I am also getting the red text command prompt and some bugginess. Is that to be expected on the platform?

Android build is just a way to show that app can work on Android too. I almost don't spend time to adapt controls or optimize it for this platform.
Please, report bugs (with screenshot of red text in console) on https://github.com/Sandrem/FlyCasual/issues
I will try to fix Android version too, but I am very limited in time - too many things...

Edited by Sandrem

^That was my assumption. It's a big project. I'm grateful for whatever you do with it.

Bug fix! Pairing advanced SLAM and push the limit seems to confuse the program. After SLAM, it will prompt for your "free action" (from Advanced SLAM). But then, after you take the action, it will prompt for Push the Limit #1 or Push the Limit #2. Either way, it will let you perform another action, but then it assigns TWO stress tokens, when it should only be one.

And yes, I discovered this playing around with advanced SLAM/PTL/advanced protons Vynder, what of it?

Edited by horsepire

A bug I'm running into while playing Whisper with Veteran Instincts, Fire Control System, Gunner, and Advanced Cloaking device.

At the end of the attack phase when you Attack (Miss) > Fire Control System > Gunner Attack > Whisper Focus > Advanced Cloak I get a red blob of text similar to what FM posted above. I have not found a way to hide the console once it comes up.

Also, how would we make Mods for this?

1 hour ago, DarthMixer said:

A bug I'm running into while playing ... with .... Gunner ...

Also, how would we make Mods for this?

Seems that Gunner is broken. Please, avoid it until hotfix is released. (You will see information about newer version in main menu).

Code is open-source, so you can create new cards if you have basic knowledge of programming. There is a lot of already added abilities, so some cards can be done almost by copy-paste =)
Also there is a simple wiki for developers: https://github.com/Sandrem/FlyCasual/wiki/Developer-Support
If anyone wants to help in development (add missing cards or add custom cards) - PM me, I will help with information.

Edited by Sandrem

@Sandrem I keep getting a red console error whenever I use the Tie/D feature of firing a primary weapon after a secondary one.

Edited by Jehan Menasis

How do you load and save squadrons? I cannot seem to find the button to do that.