Fly Casual X-Wing Simulator

By s1ickrick, in X-Wing

https://github.com/Sandrem/FlyCasual/releases

New FREE program for solo and online play, way easier than Vassal. It’s in its infancy stage but maybe with a little more support will finish quicker. It has 2D and 3D modes. Give it a try. It looks very promising.

9A25D72F-C513-4B29-BBDA-B3E471395C85.jpeg

Edited by s1ickrick

That looks so pretty, but I has no idea how to doos it.

Plz halp.

Download the zip file for your platform. Unzip it. Go to platform folder and find program and run it. No need to install anything.

28 minutes ago, s1ickrick said:

Download the zip file for your platform. Unzip it. Go to platform folder and find program and run it. No need to install anything.

Sauce of awesomeness! Can I run it on a tablet?

EDIT: I see the APK file now.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-install-apps-outside-of-google-play/

Edited by Boba Rick

Pretty sure the author did not want this posted on the FFG forums.

1 minute ago, Halyn said:

Pretty sure the author did not want this posted on the FFG forums.

Why not? He's not charging for it. All it does is increase awareness for the game and sell it, just like Vassel does.

Because he doesn't want a C&D?

Just now, Halyn said:

Because he doesn't want a C&D?

Maybe...... well, it hasn't happened to TableTop Simulator or Vassel yet.

Has anyone tried this yet?

It is no different than Squadron Benchmark. Just way prettier.

2 minutes ago, s1ickrick said:

this has gunboats in it

25 minutes ago, s1ickrick said:

Not quite. I can actually play this on my tablet - which is a big deal. And WAY prettier.

HOWEVER - Squadron Benchmark is web-based which is awesome.

This sort of fan made material really makes me proud of the X-Wing community!

FFG knows things like this in no way threatens physical sales, vessels and others just let people from across the world play each other.

Sadly until the mouse strips ea of their licence there's no hope for an official version that wouldn't be full of paywalls and microtransactions.

Can’t wait till the online is working and all the ships, pilots and upgrades are done. Be able to try out some new stuff before taking it to the FLGS.

well just downloaded it lets see if I can get it work. :)

Downloaded it. I can't get it to unpack. Tells me the archives may be damaged when I try.

10 hours ago, Boba Rick said:

Why not? He's not charging for it. All it does is increase awareness for the game and sell it, just like Vassel does.

Not charging for it, so it's OK? - Let me tell you that copyright laws are a bit mor complicated like that!

1 hour ago, Hannes Solo said:

Not charging for it, so it's OK? - Let me tell you that copyright laws are a bit mor complicated like that!

Vassal and TTS all breach copyright. Since they are first and more popular, they will get a C&D before this. Also, all Cards (upgrades and pilots) ARE NOT included in the app. Those are downloaded when the app is run.

Fly Causual is designed to be an easy to play digital version of x-wing. VASSAL and TTS are mods from generic board game sims and therefore are too complex in general.

Fly Casual is open source (Unity). If you want something in the game, please contribute with a pull request (I have). If not, the main dev has a patreon : https://www.patreon.com/Sandrem

FFG, the Mouse, etc absolutely could serve this up a C&D. Same with Vassal.

They don’t, however, because they recognize that this is currently doing them more good than harm. More exposure to the game drawing folks into it, and keeping folks who may only get to move physical ships around once in a while engaged enough to keep buying ships for when they can.

If they ever feel that it does hurt their sales, they’ll shut it down hard.

Edited by ScummyRebel

Besides all the C&D talk. What does everybody think of the simulator?

Just gave it a quick spin, I really like it, so far. Fun way to kill a lunch break. :)

Played a quick game. Is really good.I missed a few combat phases by hitting skip .. but that is just me being a chump

Just tried it out. It's really easy to use and I like it a lot. Still has some bugs (I think it let me do too many actions one turn because I somehow double stressed my OS-1 Vynder in one turn, and then it crashed when I did a green the next turn but didn't clear both stress tokens) and it doesn't have all the upgrade cards but it's really neat. I had just downloaded Vassal last week but was having a hard time getting into it and figuring it out. This is really, really easy.

This is SO good; fills in the gap left by Squadron Benchmark. Still lots of bugs and missing content, but the potential is there and I love testing out new builds against even a rudimentary AI.

Hello everyone.

I am the author of this simulator.

I am big fan of X-Wing Miniatures Game, have big collection of all factions and regulary visit (and sometimes even win) local tournaments.

I created this simulator for casual solo play vs AI, it is free (no in-game purchases, ads etc) and open-source.

I hope that this simulator will increase popularity of the real game, and you will buy a lot of miniatures that you tried in it. I will be very unhappy if my game will replace real miniatures for someone - so, please, continue support business of FFG/LFL, they created awesome product!

I think that one day I will stop it's development due to request of licence owners, but I think that open-source code still will live in web, supported by another fans.

If I will not get that request in few neastest days, version 0.4.0 will be released on Friday, with new content, bugfixes, and new awesome squad builder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWMWvfp9zIc

Have fun and fly casual!

6 hours ago, Sandrem said:

Hello everyone.

I am the author of this simulator.

I am big fan of X-Wing Miniatures Game, have big collection of all factions and regulary visit (and sometimes even win) local tournaments.

I created this simulator for casual solo play vs AI, it is free (no in-game purchases, ads etc) and open-source.

I hope that this simulator will increase popularity of the real game, and you will buy a lot of miniatures that you tried in it. I will be very unhappy if my game will replace real miniatures for someone - so, please, continue support business of FFG/LFL, they created awesome product!

I think that one day I will stop it's development due to request of licence owners, but I think that open-source code still will live in web, supported by another fans.

If I will not get that request in few neastest days, version 0.4.0 will be released on Friday, with new content, bugfixes, and new awesome squad builder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWMWvfp9zIc

Have fun and fly casual!

Superb work on that simulator ! Thanks for all the time and efforts you put into this.

BTW, why keep the 100 pts limit ? The AI isn't very bright (HotAC IA is made for loads of enemy ships against few humans), being able to fight a computer list above 100 pts would be really nice :)