Sorry About The Mess: Arena B

By Richardbuxton, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game

Yep I think in this matchups only my extrem woundthreshold in combination with the extrem high soak and cortosis makes me able to survive the first TD damage for the second I'll already need to get some stimpack into my veins.

And arrther as long as he don't lose his talisman will survive one TD with a maximum of 4 sucesses.

and even then there is the crit danger.

so those TDs are really one hitter in most cases

Edited by Nightone
1 hour ago, Nightone said:

Yep I think in this matchups only my extrem woundthreshold in combination with the extrem high soak and cortosis makes me able to survive the first TD damage for the second I'll already need to get some stimpack into my veins.

And arrther as long as he don't lose his talisman will survive one TD with a maximum of 4 sucesses.

and even then there is the crit danger.

so those TDs are really one hitter in most cases

Mind you we can't exactly complain, we both hit back really hard!

yes I know ^^

But you must acknowledge that it is a difference if you have to buy the potential of 10 damage (with no breach) for 100+ Exp or just buy 20 damage with breach for some credits ^^.

I just wanted to mention it for seasson 2 (otherwise it will become Thermal Rocket tag ^^)

I thought I accounted for all the setbacks for range, but I forgot your defense. Sorry!

Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed in the fight, as well... Sorry for taking the boring route. I was mostly interested to find out if the TD would really be a one-hit kill, and, alas, it is. :(

For future editions, we might want to impose a cap on weapons based on how much raw damage they can do. That said, Cheevil could have killed me in one blow last game if I hadn't had cortosis armor with his lightsaber combos, so it's difficult to balance.

Sorry again! Consider this a successful, if disappointing, experiment concluded.

56 minutes ago, Nightone said:

yes I know ^^

But you must acknowledge that it is a difference if you have to buy the potential of 10 damage (with no breach) for 100+ Exp or just buy 20 damage with breach for some credits ^^.

I just wanted to mention it for seasson 2 (otherwise it will become Thermal Rocket tag ^^)

To be fair, I did stat Pango out to be dangerous with ranged grenades. Getting access to True Aim and that Ranged (Light) dice pool was not cheap in XP! But I agree that the TD is kind of overpowered. I'm not sure how to balance that out with the fact that most lightsaber combatants can win in one hit, too, unless the opponent is wearing cortosis.

Edited by SavageBob
7 minutes ago, SavageBob said:

To be fair, I did stat Pango out to be dangerous with ranged grenades. Getting access to True Aim and that Ranged (Light) dice pool was not cheap in XP!

Of course! I would never doubt that! It is just the base Damage of the TD and shaped TD and it's breach that's to powerfull.

If got no problem with grenade with 10-15 damage as long as there is no breach on them. that way it is just pure damage that most players will be able to survive at least one hit of.

13 minutes ago, SavageBob said:

But I agree that the TD is kind of overpowered. I'm not sure how to balance that out with the fact that most lightsaber combatants can win in one hit, too, unless the opponent is wearing cortosis.

Free cortosis for everyone *party music* :D

or just deleting Breach X replacing with pierce 5
(that way Pierce would still be a player and cortosis woulb stay worth it's money)

I think that to prevent one shot kills free cortosis or banning all weapons with breach (or at least making breach much weaker) would be needed. Now since we can't ban lightsabers, I think we need to come up with some ruling that either prevents base damage above a certain threshold (18-20 probably), and makes breach weaker (like pierce 4/5), I personally like pierce 4, but that might be going too far.

Make breach an activated ability that costs advantage?

5 hours ago, Richardbuxton said:

Mind you we can't exactly complain, we both hit back really hard!

At least you got the chance to hit back ;)

4 hours ago, SavageBob said:

I thought I accounted for all the setbacks for range, but I forgot your defense. Sorry!

Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed in the fight, as well... Sorry for taking the boring route. I was mostly interested to find out if the TD would really be a one-hit kill, and, alas, it is. :(

For future editions, we might want to impose a cap on weapons based on how much raw damage they can do. That said, Cheevil could have killed me in one blow last game if I hadn't had cortosis armor with his lightsaber combos, so it's difficult to balance.

Sorry again! Consider this a successful, if disappointing, experiment concluded.

Yeah, the only way I'd be able to survive a hit from a TD (starting at 0 Wounds) is if the check resulted in a single Success, and no Triumphs or Advantage to activate the Blast quality :D even if I had Cortosis armor, you still would have wiped me out with that hit (19 wounds from the hit, +9 wounds from the blast). And I have a pretty high WT as it is! But having not built a Cortosis/soak machine like the Bulk, and not being able to Reflect damage, I just don't have the capacity for that kind of damage output. I built the character knowing that TDs were an option though, so I have only myself to blame!

It is hard to balance, I agree—this round of combats should give us a good indication of what kinds of weapon loadouts and character building options are just too powerful. My last fight with Arissa was imbalanced simply because of the range involved. I could have ended it with the opening skill check if I had used autofire. But eventually we closed in, because I realized how imbalanced it was. It turned out that getting into an engagement with a Makashi Duelist is not very wise, only worked for me because of how much damage my opening volley caused! She missed a crucial attack roll, which was just a fluke of the dice rolling, but if she'd have connected with it (or if I hadn't been able to activate the Concussive quality!) she would likely have easily dispatched me.

At any rate, I'd be interested in fighting Pango again at some point, if it was possible, but perhaps without the thermal detonator :) I would love the chance to try and deal with the glop grenade or the other stuff you put in his arsenal, @SavageBob .

16 hours ago, awayputurwpn said:

Yeah, the only way I'd be able to survive a hit from a TD (starting at 0 Wounds) is if the check resulted in a single Success, and no Triumphs or Advantage to activate the Blast quality :D even if I had Cortosis armor, you still would have wiped me out with that hit (19 wounds from the hit, +9 wounds from the blast

If the Initial tragen is hit with any grenade it suffer only the Main damage. Blast only affects other targets than the initial.

Only if the initial target is missed it will/can be affected by blast (at the cost of 3 advantages)

Blast is not like link or autofire. There is no second explosion. Blast is just to determine if others are hit as well.

Edited by Nightone
42 minutes ago, awayputurwpn said:

At any rate, I'd be interested in fighting Pango again at some point, if it was possible, but perhaps without the thermal detonator :) I would love the chance to try and deal with the glop grenade or the other stuff you put in his arsenal, @SavageBob .

I thought about that. Maybe an exhibition match with no TD allowed? I'm already planning to work the one-hit kill into the narrative for the next round to justify why I won't be using that particular tactic again, at least not for the first blow!

2 minutes ago, SavageBob said:

I thought about that. Maybe an exhibition match with no TD allowed?

For sure!

12 minutes ago, Nightone said:

If the Initial tragen is hit with any grenade it suffer only the Main damage. Blast only affects other targets than the initial.

Only if the initial target is missed it will can be affected by blast (at the cost of 3 advantages)

I forgot about that. I was indeed conflating the "Blast on a missed attack" rule with the normal rules on Blast.

Then I might have survived a round if I'd had Cortosis :) Provided he didn't roll some gruesome critical injury with that Vicious 4 rating...!

Edited by awayputurwpn

For anyone who's interested, @awayputurwpn and I have agreed to a no-TD rematch in an exhibition match. See Sorry About The Mess: Exhibition Match if you want to see the sparks fly and bombs burst!

Edited by SavageBob

@Darth Lectus I'll choose 1-50 if you'd like to roll the dice. I'm on a phone right now and will be at a computer in a few hours, so will do rolling then if you're not able to get to it in the meantime :)

12 hours ago, awayputurwpn said:

@Darth Lectus I'll choose 1-50 if you'd like to roll the dice. I'm on a phone right now and will be at a computer in a few hours, so will do rolling then if you're not able to get to it in the meantime :)

//Sorry, just popping in to say I won't get around to do it for another 12 hours or so. :( //

No problem, I'll roll the other stuff later tonight.

...or as soon as I could find my computer charger, lol. My 3-year-old had put it in her toy box.

Okay so venue is...

Picking the arena... : 1d25 6

The HANGER! Dun dun DAAAA

Any opinion for the narrative location here, @Darth Lectus ? Somewhere different from your last combat? Maybe a "dry dock" above Corellia or something? And I like I said before I'll go low on the "coin toss" whenever you get a chance to roll it.

Picking the starting range... : 1d100 32 = Short (crap!)

Determining Cool or Vigilance : 1d100 98 = le Vigilance

For the life of me I can't find the lists regarding Starting Range & Cool Vs. Vigilance. I tried forum search and tried manually searching the text of the main thread, but nothing. I have failed :(

Does anyone have a link to those? Thanks @SithArissa !

Edited by awayputurwpn
4 minutes ago, awayputurwpn said:

...or as soon as I could find my computer charger, lol. My 3-year-old had put it in her toy box.

Okay so venue is...

Picking the arena... : 1d25 6

The HANGER! Dun dun DAAAA

Any opinion for the narrative location here, @Darth Lectus ? Somewhere different from your last combat? Maybe a "dry dock" above Corellia or something?

Picking the starting range... : 1d100 32

Determining Cool or Vigilance : 1d100 98

For the life of me I can't find the lists regarding Starting Range & Cool Vs. Vigilance. I tried forum search and tried manually searching the text of the main thread, but nothing. I have failed :(

Does anyone have a link to those?

Destiny pool, including deciding which character will use DS and LS. Competitor 1 chooses if they want 1-50 or 51-100, Competitor 2 makes the roll. Whoever wins gets to choose DS or LS for the combat.

Starting Range, from Short to Long. 1-33= Short, 34-63= Medium, 64-99= Long, 100= reroll.

Initiative Skill to be used 1-50= Cool, 51-100= Vigilance.

@Darth Lectus Short range you can do this Cheevil!

Hey @Darth Lectus are you around?

//Terribly sorry, had an awful week at work and never really got around to use my PC. I hope this won't happen again but don't want to make promises.

Third Heat: Destiny usage : 1d100 92

This goes to me, so my choice is Light.

Third Heat: Destiny pool : 1eF 2 Light Side
f-ls-ls.png

My suggestion for the location is the following:

One of Cloud City's cargo loading platform. This is an open air circular platform, about long range in diameter. A YT-2400 freighter is docked here and the shipment it delivered is being unloaded. Repulsorlift sleds, hauler droids and organic personnel scurry about their business, while a health and safety crew are cleaning up some spilled fluid near the entrance of the platform. Here and there, a few cranes are installed to help with the moving of the heavier containers. How does this sound?

I'll wait with initiative until you agree or disagree with this and roll your Destiny (go ahead and roll Initiative as well).//

Edited by Darth Lectus

Third Heat: Initiative : 1eA+1eP 1 success, 2 advantage
a-a.png p-s-a.png

//Flipping a DP for the roll. Initiative is a tie, how do we decide on the breaker?//

Interesting. Reroll, same pools?