Sorry About The Mess: Exhibition Match

By SavageBob, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game

Round 2 of the Sorry about the Mess tournament pitted the demolitionmech PNG0-LIN ("Pango") against the Wookiee bounty hunter Grrwalryyhl . The match ended suddenly when the droid threw a thermal detonator, incapacitating the Wookiee in a single blast. That was boring, so this is a rematch. All elements of the original match have been carried over, including Destiny Point pool, initiative rolls, and setting. The only difference is that Pango has traded in the thermal detonator for 2,000 credits of new equipment.

The match takes place in the jungles of Ithor. This environment imposes the following mechanical impacts:

1. Dice pools for ranged combat include 1 setback per range band beyond engaged;
  2. Maneuvers to move cost 1 strain each. This cost is in addition to any other strain incurred from taking the maneuver.

Guapa was mad. As soon as the Hutt's fight team had recovered Pango from the forest floor, the demolitionmech's auditory sensors were overwhelmed with insults from the Hutt and his henchmen. "What a boring match!" they cried. "What a letdown!" they said. "I've got money riding on these matches," Guapa himself said. "Money from fans who want to see a battle, not a big boom that's over in a couple seconds!" Even worse, Guapa refused to let Pango see Turee, the Sullustan girl who had built him. "You didn't even get damaged, stupid droid. Why do you need to see her?"

Now, Pango was back on Ithor. Guapa had demanded a rematch, and he'd even had his henchmen heal up the Wookiee Grrwalryyhl, keeping the dazed and confused bounty hunter in a bacta tank and then depositing him back on the forest floor without even an explanation of what was going on. Even worse, Guapa had refused to replace Pango's thermal detonator—at least for now—having his techies replace it with a knockout grenade and some enhanced visual sensors that would help mitigate some of the difficulties of hurling grenades through a dense jungle.

Pango didn't want to be here. The jungles of Ithor were still too spooky. But there it was again: the unmistakable sound of Grrwalryyhl stirring in the distance, several meters away. Pango's vocabulator let out a low-pitched wine, and the droid prepared his first attack: a glop grenade.

Spending one maneuver to pull out a glop grenade to throw at medium range. @awayputurwpn flipped a Destiny Point to upgrade the attack, putting the difficulty at 1R+1P+4B. Pango's Enhanced Optics Suite removes 2 black dice for the environment, leaving only those from Grrwalryyhl's Ranged Defense. Pango will also suffer 2 Strain to aim, taking advantage of True Aim by doing so. Final dice pool is YYYYGBRPBB.

Glop grenade attack (Ranged (Light)) : 4eP+1eA+1eB+1eC+1eD+2eS 4 successes, 1 threat, 1 Triumph
p-s-s.png p-s-s.png p-s.png p-tr.png a-a.png b-a.png c-f-th.png d-th-th.png s-f.png s--.png

Wounds: 0/16

Strain: 2/15

Destiny: 1L/1D

@awayputurwpn , how do you want to spend that Threat? As for the Triumph, maybe the glop has disturbed a predatory insect hive, meaning you've got to contend not only with the ensnare, but also with a strain drain till you break free? The insect hive idea comes from the Environmental Setpieces document, and it's a nice combo with the glop! But I can find something else if you think it's too much.

Edited by SavageBob

That's brutal! Okay, the Threat will cause the insects to bother Pango as well, making him unable to aim until the end of his next turn.

I'll roll my Coordination check in a moment.

Here's the required Coordination check to keep breathing:

Coordination to avoid suffocation : 2eP+2eA+1eD 4 successes, 1 Triumph
p-tr.png p-s.png a-s-s.png a-s.png d-f.png

I can breath!

I'd like to use that Triumph to break free of the glop before it hardens, if that's cool with you?

14 hours ago, awayputurwpn said:

Here's the required Coordination check to keep breathing:

Coordination to avoid suffocation : 2eP+2eA+1eD 4 successes, 1 Triumph
p-tr.png p-s.png a-s-s.png a-s.png d-f.png

I can breath!

I'd like to use that Triumph to break free of the glop before it hardens, if that's cool with you?

Not being able to aim for just one threat seems harsh; it'd take 2 Threat to give me a black die, but this option takes away 1 Boost and my True Aim upgrade. Can you think of a lesser penalty?

And, yep, you break free. These dang glop grenades are next to useless! Second time they've failed me. :)

Most of the various charts just list "1 strain" for 1 Threat. But to fit with what you were planning: maybe aiming costs me 2 strain on my next turn? That makes it so I can still do it, but I'll have to pay a fairly substantial price for doing so.

2 hours ago, SavageBob said:

Most of the various charts just list "1 strain" for 1 Threat. But to fit with what you were planning: maybe aiming costs me 2 strain on my next turn? That makes it so I can still do it, but I'll have to pay a fairly substantial price for doing so.

I just pulled it right off the list on the jungle scene. Thought it was dually appropriate with the whole insect theme we had going on :)

Take a look at the top of the table on the jungle set piece and let me know what you think.

You can still use maneuvers and stuff, so it doesn't hamper you in any way—you could still draw two grenades or take cover or whatever. I think it's just situationally less convenient for Pango because it means he can't use True Aim for a round.

Edited by awayputurwpn
4 hours ago, SavageBob said:

And, yep, you break free. These dang glop grenades are next to useless! Second time they've failed me. :)

I suppose they would help more against people who don't have several ranks in Coordination :P

4 hours ago, awayputurwpn said:

I just pulled it right off the list on the jungle scene. Thought it was dually appropriate with the whole insect theme we had going on :)

Take a look at the top of the table on the jungle set piece and let me know what you think.

You can still use maneuvers and stuff, so it doesn't hamper you in any way—you could still draw two grenades or take cover or whatever. I think it's just situationally less convenient for Pango because it means he can't use True Aim for a round.

Ah, fair enough. Seems harsh for 1 Threat, but it is in the scenario notes.

2 hours ago, awayputurwpn said:

I suppose they would help more against people who don't have several ranks in Coordination :P

*Sigh.* Your turn!

Grrwalryyhl was hit with the object launched from the droid, and realized what it was as soon as it started to foam up. He rolled in the style of a wruushi artist, using the jungle underbrush to catch the bulk of the rapidly hardening foam. As he did so, he caught a face-full of stinging insects. No matter...he was used to the rigors of the jungle. He shrugged off the pain from the stings and stole through the underbrush. (1 maneuver, +2 strain for a second maneuver, +2 strain for using 2 maneuvers to moving, per the Jungle set piece)

Momentarily hidden from view, he crept closer to the droid through the tangled growths, and when he was close enough, he launched himself the last few meters towards his metallic opponent.

Grrwalryyhl spun like a tornado as he closed in on the droid, leveraging his momentum to slam into its chassis with a backhand strike.

Backhand shock gloves : 4eP+2eD+1eS 3 successes, 2 threat, 1 Triumph
p-s-s.png p--.png p-s-s.png p-tr.png d-th-th.png d-f.png s-f.png

That's 9 stun damage, and I'd like to use the Triumph to cause a critical injury:

Critical injury roll : 1d100 21

I'll suffer 2 strain to activate the Improved Precision Strike talent, and change the result to Hamstrung —the target loses his free maneuver until the end of the encounter.

I'll then flip a Destiny Point as an incidental to recover 4 strain with the Mind Over Matter talent.

That's 0 DP for me, 2 for @SavageBob . What did you want to do with the 2 Threat?

Edited by awayputurwpn

Who's brutal, then? :P Did you take your 2 strain from the insects? The set piece says "2 strain immediately, and 2 strain at the beginning of each combat round until they spend a maneuver to move." I at least get that "immediately" drain! :) And I think it should be 0 DP for you, 2 for me—we started with 2 dark. You flipped one to upgrade my glop attack, and flipped a second for Mind Over Matter.

As for the 2 Threat: Not sure what's kosher here. Maybe the force of your blow knocked me out of engaged, putting me at short range to you for my turn?

Also, my Soak reduces damage to 3 stun, right?

Edited by SavageBob
1 hour ago, SavageBob said:

Who's brutal, then? :P Did you take your 2 strain from the insects? The set piece says "2 strain immediately, and 2 strain at the beginning of each combat round until they spend a maneuver to move." I at least get that "immediately" drain! :) And I think it should be 0 DP for you, 2 for me—we started with 2 dark. You flipped one to upgrade my glop attack, and flipped a second for Mind Over Matter.

As for the 2 Threat: Not sure what's kosher here. Maybe the force of your blow knocked me out of engaged, putting me at short range to you for my turn?

Also, my Soak reduces damage to 3 stun, right?

Thanks for keeping me honest—I felt like I spent so much time making sure I had accounted for all the numbers, lol.

The +2 strain from the insects is supposed to happen at the beginning of every combat round—so if I hadn't moved, I would have suffered the strain at the top of the following round, right when your turn started. Really a fantastic combo with the glop grenade! You can't move, and you keep taking strain until you move.

Spending the 2 Threat to disengage us sounds great. That way no one is taking a move maneuver ;)

I think that makes it your turn!

Edited by awayputurwpn
42 minutes ago, awayputurwpn said:

The +2 strain from the insects is supposed to happen at the beginning of every combat round—so if I hadn't moved, I would have suffered the strain at the top of the following round, right when your turn started. Really a fantastic combo with the glop grenade! You can't move, and you keep taking strain until you move.

Spending the 2 Threat to disengage us sounds great. That way no one is taking a move maneuver ;)

I think that makes it your turn!

Per the environmental set piece, the insects still should have caused 2 strain immediately (when I selected the effect, not at the start of the combat round), so don't forget to account for that! That strain drain should be broken now, though.

The glop grenade exploded in a burst of goo, soaking the Wookiee's fur and beginning its instant hardening process. Pango's optical sensors even detected an unexpected benefit: a hive of angry insects, swarming the opponent! A few of the pesky bugs wandered over to the droid, as well, interfering with his aiming matrix as he swatted them away.

But Pango had to run a diagnostic check to see if his sensors were malfunctioning, because the Wookiee was moving! The bounty hunter got closer and then launched at the droid. How had the glop failed? Turee had promised it was a fluke the last time, but now, for the second time in a row, an opponent had escaped the foam before it could harden.

Pango's pain receptors ignited as the Wookiee struck him with a resounding clang. Even worse, the blow knocked the droid backward, tearing a crucial internal belt. Pango was relieved to find that he could still move, but every action strained his servos more than normal. Combined with the difficult terrain, the droid knew he couldn't survive a protracted fight with the savage Wookiee. He needed a big boom, and fast.

The droid's grasper arm readied an armor-piercing grenade. Then the droid released a secondary arm, not generally used for combat, to ready a second. Still plagued by insects, the droid couldn't aim. But the words of his master flashed through his memory: "You're the best grenadier on Nar Shadaa. Believe that." Both clawed arms reared back, and Pango threw the grenades.

OK, using 2 maneuvers to draw 2 armor-piercing grenades (costing me 4 strain). My optics suite lets me ignore the extra setback for being at Short range, leaving me with an increased difficulty of 2 purple + 2 black for your ranged defense. Can't aim, but can flip a Destiny Point! (Not even sure I should do that, but here goes.)

throwing 2 Armor-piercing grenades (Ranged (Light)) : 4eP+1eA+2eD+2eS 2 successes
p-s-a.png p-s.png p-s-s.png p--.png a-a.png d--.png d-th-th.png s-f.png s-f.png

That's enough to hit with one, but not both. Using Natural Marksman for a reroll on the roll that may cost me the match...

throwing 2 Armor-piercing grenades (Ranged (Light)) : 4eP+1eA+2eD+2eS 3 successes
p-s-s.png p-s-a.png p-s-a.png p-s.png a-s.png d-f-th.png d-f-f.png s-th.png s--.png

Dang. Well, that's 16 damage, with Pierce 3, so should be 13 wounds for you. Really needed that Advantage to activate the second grenade, but so it goes!

Strain: 9/15

Destiny: 1/1

Edited by SavageBob

Grrwalryyhl saw the grenades being launched and had only a second before they detonated. Again he dove into the brush, but not quick enough. The first grenade exploded a meter away and the shockwave sent him sprawling, but luckily for the Wookiee, the second one exploded harmlessly a ways off. Grrwalryyhl rolled again and came up punching, trying to bash the droid's chassis in, but he was met with incredible resistance. Whatever this droid was made of, it could sure take a beating.

Apparently, he wasn't going to be pulling any appendages off the droid anytime soon. He took a moment to breath, centering himself like a true Wookiee warrior.

Shield gauntlet attack! : 4eP+2eD+1eS 1 success, 1 advantage
p-s-a.png p-s.png p-a.png p-s.png d--.png d-f-f.png s-th.png

Free maneuver spent to engage (1 strain). That should be 6 stun damage minus soak :P and for the Advantage I will be recovering a strain. I'll also draw a stimpack as an incidental (from the military belt pouch) and suffer 2 strain for a second maneuver to use the stimpack and heal 5 wounds.

I'll also flip a DP at the beginning of your turn @SavageBob to heal 4 more strain with Mind Over Matter.

WT: 8/22

ST: 2/17

DP: 0/2

Edited by awayputurwpn

Well, that could have been a lot worse! No net damage, as I soak up the 6 stun.

Pango saw his grenades fly toward the Wookiee and explode, but only the first caught the assailant in its blast. Then the enemy was back upon him, bashing into the droid's side with a large shield. The blow triggered Pango's pain receptors, but it glanced off the droid's sloped chassis harmlessly. Pango's internal diagnostics didn't lie: the droid's drivetrain was severely stressed by the dense jungle vegetation and the snapped belt from the Wookiee's previous attack. Pango heard Turee's voice once more. Was he really the best grenadier on Nar Shadaa? Maybe. But maybe not on Ithor...

OK, it's now or never: 1 maneuver to draw my last armor-piercing grenade. Another maneuver to Aim (This costs me a total of 4 strain). I will also flip a Destiny Point for the attack. Ranged (Light) from Engaged range gives +1 difficulty. (Yikes.) Here goes nothing...

Armor-piercing grenade (Ranged (Light) from Engaged Range : 5eP+1eB+2eD+2eS 3 successes, 2 advantage
p-a-a.png p-s.png p-s.png p-a-a.png p-s.png b--.png d--.png d-th.png s--.png s-th.png

Oh, how the Triumphs elude me! That's 16 damage with Pierce 3, minus your soak. Just one more success would have been nice. :( I'll use the advantage to recover 2 Strain.

Strain: 7/15

Destiny: 1/1

Backhand Shock Glove Time! : 4eP+2eD+1eS 1 success, 3 advantage, 1 Triumph
p-a-a.png p-a-a.png p-tr.png p-s.png d-th.png d--.png s-f.png

Okay so I'll be using the Triumph to trigger a critical injury, and 2 of the 3 advantage to trigger the Concussive trait—I'll roll and narrate in a separate post.

Stunlock mode activated!

Not completly, the gloves are slow fireing 1. So pango will have one round staggered and then he can make an action before the stun mode can be used again... but it is at least anoying for the Pool little droid ^^

(Oh and also I'll suffer 2 strain to use the Martial Grace talent, adding +4 damage for a total of 11 stun damage minus soak)

Critical injury roll : 1d100+10 62 = Slightly Dazed.

I'll suffer 2 more strain to activate the Improved Precision Strike talent again, and change the result to Winded —until the end of the encounter, Pango cannot voluntarily suffer strain to activate any abilities or gain additional maneuvers. With that, I believe Pango is effectively shut down for a round, having lost his free maneuver previously, and now being Staggered for his next turn. I'll use my free maneuver to draw another stim pack.

This time, he was ready for it. The droid was smart, trying to angle the throw so that the Wookiee would act as a meat shield from the blast. But as the grenade was launched, Grrwalryyhl lunged for it, caught it, and slammed it down against the droid's chassis, with his shield gauntlet interposed between himself and the grenade.

The explosion seemed to rock the entire jungle. Grrwalryyhl stumbled back to his feet and shook his head to in an attempt clear the ringing. Then he stared in disbelief: the droid was still in one piece! Its armored shell seemed able to withstand nearly anything. Letting out a tired moan, the beleaguered Wookiee prepared to accept his fate...but then he noticed that the droid wasn't moving. There was internal whirring and clicking—probably had some self-repair modules—but it seems like some servomotors had become dislocated.

He steeled himself. He would need all his strength to take this machine down before it could rally.

WT: 21/22

ST: 6/17

DP: 1/1

@SavageBob let me know if you want to narrate or do anything in your turn...beside maneuvers or actions...

Edited by awayputurwpn
narration needed a little more love.

I really can't do anything! I have no free maneuvers due to Hamstrung, and now I can't voluntarily suffer strain to take maneuvers, so I can't even draw a weapon. With the staggered effect, I can't even hit you with my claw arm for an unarmed attack.

The blast hit the Wookiee hard, but it wasn't quite enough to take him down. Pango steeled himself for another blow from the bounty hunter's shock glove, which landed with a deafening clang. An alarm flashed in the droid's brain: a series of servomotors had come dislodged by the blow! Pango attempted to move, but his drivetrain and claw arms gave only sickening clicks, punctuated by puffs of smoke.

Well, Guapa the Hutt had gotten what he asked for.

Flipping a Destiny Point to upgrade your next check! Maybe on a despair something might save me, but if not, it's time to see the maker...

Strain: 12/15

Destiny: 2/0

Edited by SavageBob

1 maneuver to use the stimpack, healing 4 wounds.

Shield gauntlet smack : 4eP+1eC+1eD+1eS 4 successes, 2 threat
p--.png p-s-s.png p-s-s.png p-s-s.png c-f-th.png d-th.png s-f.png

Suffering 2 strain to activate Martial Grace again for +4 damage, just in case, that makes for 13 stun damage minus soak. I believe that puts Pango over his strain threshold?

2 hours ago, awayputurwpn said:

1 maneuver to use the stimpack, healing 4 wounds.

Shield gauntlet smack : 4eP+1eC+1eD+1eS 4 successes, 2 threat
p--.png p-s-s.png p-s-s.png p-s-s.png c-f-th.png d-th.png s-f.png

Suffering 2 strain to activate Martial Grace again for +4 damage, just in case, that makes for 13 stun damage minus soak. I believe that puts Pango over his strain threshold?

Gulp! Yep. Only you forgot to add a boost die for the fact that I attacked with a ranged weapon at engaged range, so the damage should probably be a bit higher. That red die was really my only hope—I'd've tried to trigger some sort of effect to damage you and at least cause a double KO. :)

Pango's servomotors whined in protest as he tried to do something, anything, to stave off the Wookiee's next assault. But the bounty hunter's precise blows had done their job, circumventing the droid's armor to damage the intricate circuitry underneath his chassis. Pity the blows hadn't taken out Pango's photoreceptors, since he could do nothing but watch helplessly as the Wookiee smashed into him one final time. Overwhelmed by the system strain, PNG0-LIN's droid brain went into emergency shutdown mode. With a last gasp of smoke, the droid went silent.

Great match, @awayputurwpn ! The dice certainly didn't go my way on a couple of occasions—bad glop grenade! bad two-weapon attack!—and the arena was quite harsh on a ranged fighter like Pango. But your surgical strikes and tactical use of advantage, triumph, and threat went the distance to dismantle poor Pango's repertoire of attacks bit by painful bit. Nice job!

4 hours ago, SithArissa said:

Stunlock mode activated!

See?

Oh yeah! I always forget that Boost die.

Well the dice definitely favored the Wookiee this match, which was fitting due to it being a jungle and all :)

I was initially considering staying at range and trying to hammer Pango with the repeating blaster, but I couldn't see that ending well at all :D especially with those armor piercing grenades. You had me beat at range, and I couldn't keep up with the strain cost of trying to stay out of your range, so really all I could do was close in and hope for some good attack rolls.

If you'd had the Quick Draw feat, I think perhaps the fight would've been over much sooner ;)

This fight also also made me wonder, are the normal penalties for attacking an engaged enemy with a Ranged weapon enough with a grenade? After this battle, I'm thinking in my home games I might treat it as attacking an engagement, and upgrade the check once, causing the grenade to hit the attacker and his target on a Success + Despair.

Thanks for taking some time out to do this, @SavageBob ! It was an edge-of-the-seat rematch.

1 hour ago, awayputurwpn said:

If you'd had the Quick Draw feat, I think perhaps the fight would've been over much sooner ;)

This fight also also made me wonder, are the normal penalties for attacking an engaged enemy with a Ranged weapon enough with a grenade? After this battle, I'm thinking in my home games I might treat it as attacking an engagement, and upgrade the check once, causing the grenade to hit the attacker and his target on a Success + Despair.

Thanks for taking some time out to do this, @SavageBob ! It was an edge-of-the-seat rematch.

Yeah, a Demolitionist/Gunslinger combo might very well be more effective than the Demolitionist/Mercenary Soldier I went with. Quick Draw, Improved Quick Draw, and two grenades per action? Youch.

I agree about the engaged grenade attack. It wouldn't have mattered for Pango, since he could've activated Selective Detonation for 1 Advantage. But it might make sense to at least upgrade such an attack to include a red die to reflect the possibility that the grenadier might be injured.

You can alway use three threat or a despair to activate the blast of an enemys grenade (no need to house rule that ^^) to hit him while he is engaged (or at short if it is the TD)

Great match you two, and really nice roleplaying. Poor Pango got shutdown hit by hit. It really was not yuour enviorment. (may be a Wayfarer rebuild as labyrint colloseum will do a better favor for you... Arissa awaits you ^^)