The Lost Realms - A Fan Expansion

By talismanisland, in Talisman Home Brews

Feel free to depower at will! Maybe you could pick up ONE object you pass on each turn.

The 'Peacock Dragon' needs to have 'When you roll a DIE...' added or you could be used with a Riding Horse!

If you can and want to use anything from my expansion The enchantress' cheap tricks from the Lucky 13th competition for special items I've no problem at all with that. Those are more like one-time procective items, but very useful in a tight spot - i.e. frog's eye prevents you from turning into a toad.

I like the idea of something to protect you from being toaded, I was thinking of an item you could discard when about to be toaded to choose another character to be toaded instead.

I'm not to sure about having spells in this expansion, as we'll have to print the 'cards' at home they won't match the other spell cards. Adventure cards don't matter so much as they'll be separate decks (like the Nether, Bridge & Tunnel POD decks)

I like the idea that the area is now infested with Goblins/Hobgoblins/Ogres personally, as the game doesn't have enough of these in my opinion.

...also some Orcs, Halflings and Satyrs would be nice.

I'm not to sure about having spells in this expansion, as we'll have to print the 'cards' at home they won't match the other spell cards. Adventure cards don't matter so much as they'll be separate decks (like the Nether, Bridge & Tunnel POD decks)

I agree. Also, places should be limited unless they can be deployed somewhere else.

Let me gather my thoughts over the weekend and I'll post something later.

I've had a fair bit of stuff to sort out, but I did manage to come up with a template to use rather than just recycle one.

tm99-template.jpg

I had previously posted an idea for this card, but for those that don't want to search for it:

PEACOCK DRAGON:

Follower

You may add up to three additional spaces for movement.

You may pick up any objects you encounter during movement.

I agree with Jon, sounds a bit too good. How about "After rolling the die for movement, you may end your movement in any space that has a faceup Object instead of moving your full movement allowance"?

I also think Spells should be avoided. Best to keep this in line with the other Realm expansion in this regard.

Let me gather my thoughts over the weekend and I'll post something later.

I've had a fair bit of stuff to sort out, but I did manage to come up with a template to use rather than just recycle one. tm99-template.jpg

I had previously posted an idea for this card, but for those that don't want to search for it:

PEACOCK DRAGON:

Follower

You may add up to three additional spaces for movement.

You may pick up any objects you encounter during movement.

I agree with Jon, sounds a bit too good. How about "After rolling the die for movement, you may end your movement in any space that has a faceup Object instead of moving your full movement allowance"?

I also think Spells should be avoided. Best to keep this in line with the other Realm expansion in this regard.

As for spells I think we've more than enough spells already. I agree they will only be a problem when printing the expansion.

Edit: as for the background ideas. I can go with any but I prefer the thought that the dwarves ancestral home has been overrun by orcs, goblins and perhaps giants.

Edited by Rigmaster

I would agree about the Peacock as my son was attacked by one on his first trip to a zoo!

I also agree about Spells. I was just thinking out loud whilst looking at the artwork.

I must say it's a rather tricky job finding artwork that you can use.

I've come up with a few duplicates of Uvatha's on my way, but have also weeded out some of those claiming to be under CC, that clearly were not as they were from published works. I guess it's a setting on DA that needs altering, much like how I bet not many people read the legal implications when they upload to BGG.

Anyway... I think it's going to be a case of finding the artwork and then coming up with a suitable effect for it, rather than the other way around. This is actually fine as it happens a fair bit of the time when there is unused artwork to be had. Semi-interesting fact #234448 - there is a card in The Cataclysm that has artwork that was trying to find a use for years... (No, I won't say what it is!)

As far as I know, we can use any of the artwork listed below (I've made a list for the credits) as the expansion will not be for sale, I will not be altering any of the artwork, merely displaying a portion of it in some cases.

Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported (CC BY-ND 3.0)
Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-SA 3.0)
Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported (CC BY-NC-ND 3.0)
Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0)
The (kind of) bad news is that it seems impossible to find decent "weapon/object" art that is under CC. The only one I might consider for Morak's Hammer is Mjolnir by shiprock, but it is rather similar to the Lightning Hammer that already exists in the game.
Would it be a terrible idea just to have the one legendary weapon, as per 3rd Edition? If it keeps returning to the Forge it would not be too OP, plus the Forge might offer other benefits should the Hammer already be gone.
As for the 20 cards to reuse from the game, I am happy if some of the Goblins from the Dungeon make a reappearance, plus some of the cards from my list (on page 2 I think). Does anyone have any suggestions from other expansions for cards that would be a good fit?

Of course, another option regarding artwork would be for us to do the artwork ourselves. I know we have several artists here, and I feel that it'd allow for more freedom when designing the expansion.

A third, and possibly better option given the lead time required for fresh artwork, is to make up some of the cards without artwork.

That way, people can either pop in whatever art they feel like (for home use only!) or wait until it's all been sorted out.

So, to keep it in line with other expansions, I would like to use 20 cards from existing expansions, 5 CC art cards with suitable descriptions, and 15 new cards that require artwork to be found or painted.

If we can get together the 15 pieces of art, then great, but if not it does not delay the expansion's development.

Do you have any examples of artwork to share?

Edited by talismanisland

I've made up a few cards that I will show as a blog post later today, but in the mean time I need a name for the "Legendary Stuff You Can Grab At The Forgotten Forge" deck... :)

I thought about just calling it the Legendary or Legends deck, but am not convinced enough yet!

Forged Relics?

(By the way, thank you so much for this! I can't tell you how badly I've been craving something to fill the three remaining gaps around the board!)

Artifact/Antiquity/Heirloom/Mythical/Fabled deck?

Not sure if any are better than Legend/Legendary. Maybe Artifact. Maybe Legendary Artifact.

Okay. I've made a "blog" post with some of the progress so far.

http://www.talismanisland.com/?page_id=6909

It would be useful now to have some suggestions for cards for the expansion.

Thanks for the input so far! :)

Not sure if any are better than Legend/Legendary. Maybe Artifact. Maybe Legendary Artifact.

I'm thinking either Forge deck or Artefact deck at the moment.

I'm thinking either Forge deck or Artefact deck at the moment.

I quite like the ring of Forge deck actually. That gets my vote.

I'm thinking about a potential "mechanic" that is unique to this set, but before I develop it further, I need a little clarification.

Is the intention to have a single "bridge" type deck of about 40-ish cards, or 2 separate decks of 20-ish cards each, one for the Highland side and one for the Woodlands side?

A single deck.

NB - It'll likely be 36 cards, plus 6 for the Forge deck.

Edited by talismanisland

Just to mention, I am thinking about mirroring the combat bonus to certain Enemies in the Realms. Possibly Enemy - Fae on the Woodland side, and something else on the Highland side, probably Enemy - Outlaws. I think the Highlands would be a good place for Outlaws to hang out!

Basically, you will have to draw "bridge" cards on each of the lower spaces as you pass through the Realms. You can of course opt to go "up" to the Village or Forge from the lower spaces, then out to the Woods on the main board after visiting the upper spaces.

I might use the original idea from the alpha of the Deep Realms in that you roll and draw "x" number of cards - 1/2: 3 Cards, 3/4: 2 Cards, 5/6: 1 Card.

Why not give the objects/followers some ligth fate / dark fate / unbound effect?

Like Powerstones example blue (trinket) ligth = can cross any water (storm river) dark = place flood land Terrain Card unbound= gain +1 craft

I have no objection to some of the new cards having Fate effects, though Terrain cards will not be featuring in this expansion.

Why not give the objects/followers some ligth fate / dark fate / unbound effect?

Like Powerstones example blue (trinket) ligth = can cross any water (storm river) dark = place flood land Terrain Card unbound= gain +1 craft

Fatebound effects would certainly tie it in nicely with the Woodlands.

Some thoughts:

1) Since the Outlaw sub-type is something being considered as a favored Enemy type for the Highland side, we should add 1 more to be balanced with the Fae. I would suggest scrapping Felclaw, and replacing them with the following:

Upland Ransomers

Enemy-Outlaw

Strength: 5

If you kill the Upland Ransomers, you may liberate one of their captives. Draw cards from either the Highland or Woodland deck until a Follower is revealed. You may take the Follower, and then discard all other remaining cards.

For the art, would it be possible to simply re-use current art for another card, like the Bandit or Rusthill Marauders?

2) Since I suggest scrapping Felclaw above, I think we could replace it with something that uses both Strength/Craft that utilizes the awesome Volcano Monster art:

Magma Demon

Enemy-Demon

Strength: 6/ Craft: 6

Any Weapon or Armour used in battle or psychic combat with the Magma Demon must be discarded after the combat is resolved.

3) Here is an idea for a Forge deck item, a Ring.

Adamantine Band

Magic Object-Trinket

You may discard the Band at any time a Spell has just been cast to negate the effects of the Spell, including the Command Spell.

4) Revising my earlier idea for movement in the Lost Realms Bridge spaces, perhaps have it be "At the beginning of your turn, you may choose to move to the Ravine/Thicket, or roll 1 die :

1-2) Encounter this space again.

3-4) Move to the other Bridge space.

5+) Move to the Forge/Elder Village."

5) I've been thinking about a unique mechanic that would be analogous to the Traps introduced in the Deep Realms. Going with the concept that the Lost Realms are confusing and labyrinthine, I've been thinking about a collection of Places with the sub-type of Trail. The idea would also tie in with a Follower and Object that apply to these Trails. As they are Places, I think the rules for the Bridge spaces would be the same as the Deep Realms Bridge spaces, whereby all cards on the space at the end of your turn are shuffled back into the Bridge deck. Functionally, they share similarities to cards like Cave; roll on a table, low roll is bad, higher roll is good type of idea. Here are my card propositions:

Cursed Trail

Place-Trail

See where it leads by rolling 1 die:

1-2) Move to the Cursed Glade

3-4) Lose all of your Light Fate

5) Gain 1 Dark Fate

6+) Replenish Dark Fate to your Fate Value

Precarious Trail

Place-Trail

1-2) Move to the Chasm

3-4) Outlaws! Lose all of your Gold

5) Gain 1 Gold

6+) Gain 3 Gold

Enchanted Pathway

Place-Trail

1-2) Move to the Mystic Glen

3-4) Attacked by a Fae Crone with a Craft of 4

5) Gain 1 Spell

6+) Replenish Light Fate to your Fate Value

Wandering Pathway

Place-Trail

1-2) Move to the Lost City

3-4) Attacked by an Outlaw Gang with a Strength of 4

5) Draw 1 random card from the Purchase deck

6+) Take an additional turn after this one

Game Trail

Place-Trail

1) Attacked by a Cave Bear with a Strength of 6

2-3) Attacked by a Pack of Wolves with a Strength of 3

4-5) Heal 1 Life

6+) Gain +1 Strength

Trail of the Dead

Place-Trail

1) Attacked by a Wraith with a Craft of 6

2-3) Attacked by a Ghost with a Craft of 3

4-5) Replenish 1 Fate

6+) Gain +1 Craft

Trail Guide

Follower

You may add up to +2 whenever you roll a die at a Trail.

Compass of the Wilds

Object

You may choose to ignore any Trail you encounter. You may add +1 to your result when you roll on a "Bridge" space for movement.

The above card suggestions mostly just list the game effects, but they could use some fluff text to explain certain results.

I really like the trails idea!

Since they are supposed to be forgotten places and hard to get to, cards like those really work (for me, at least). I'm also a fan of Strangers who drag you to different regions entirely. A Wood Nymph takes you deep into the Woodlands, a Goblin grabs you and drags you down into the Dungeon, etc.

If I remember correctly, there was a homebrew that had only four or five cards. Each was for the main Adventure deck, and each was a Stranger (or Event?) that carried you away to a different board.

I really like the trails idea!

Since they are supposed to be forgotten places and hard to get to, cards like those really work (for me, at least). I'm also a fan of Strangers who drag you to different regions entirely. A Wood Nymph takes you deep into the Woodlands, a Goblin grabs you and drags you down into the Dungeon, etc.

If I remember correctly, there was a homebrew that had only four or five cards. Each was for the main Adventure deck, and each was a Stranger (or Event?) that carried you away to a different board.

Thanks! I'm thinking that cruising around the Lost Realms should be anything but "straightforward" :)

Something else I'm thinking about currently is that the Forge deck rewards are nice one-shots, but Destinies are generally much stronger for the long-term comparatively. I think that if a roll chart is used to determine what reward you gain on the Forge/Elder Village spaces, it should be easier to get a Forge item than a Destiny. One thing I'm thinking for the Elder Village is to include the possibility of gaining a Path there instead of a Destiny, something along the lines of "Move to the adjacent Woods and draw a random Path." Moving them to another Region first forces the character to retain it until they can make their way to another Region to be able to discard it.