The Lost Realms - A Fan Expansion

By talismanisland, in Talisman Home Brews

Further to my musings in the other forum, I've set out some ideas on a page and would appreciate some input from anyone here.

tm99_table.jpg

http://www.talismanisland.com/?page_id=6886

I will update the page on Talisman Island as things progress.

Well, if it's the Lost Realms I wonder if the Lost City from the Highlands will play a part in it...

It's possible, but it's not necessary to link the two.

FANTASTIC

Very nice board.

The ancient dwarven forge could be something like the Tinker Forge from the dungeon. Maybe something like a clogged ridden massive steam-powered forge. The magical elders are a great idea to add nice fun effects like swapping characters or just swapping character cards (I'm thinking it would be good as an event). I can't read the text on the board very well are you thinking of having cards placed on them at the start of the game like Deep Realms?

Also, Creative Commons is their any artwork sites that deal with artwork just under Creative Commons and how do you find out if a piece of art is licenced as Creative Commons.

I agree on the box art from The Woodland would be a better choice for the Autumn Tree unless something else can be found.

So what really do we need to concentrate on right now, should I crunch some numbers and come up with a set of "let's say" 40 or so cards "text" only to brainstorm? or would an extra eye on CC artwork be a goer?

Maybe if we get a list of other like-minded gamers/players and give everyone a task maybe we will end up with a lot of ideas to work with.

Edited by Uvatha

It is a nice board and it looks like there is one entry point from either Wood or High - land side of things, and then a move up a space to go deeper. So this is different from the Deep Realms and I appreciate that if so.

It is a nice board and it looks like there is one entry point from either Wood or High - land side of things, and then a move up a space to go deeper. So this is different from the Deep Realms and I appreciate that if so.

I didn't see that :) .

Yes, I didn't want the expansion to be a mirror of The Deep Realms.

The entrance to each realm is from the Ravine and Thicket spaces. You can then either cross to the other side after encountering some cards (though not as perilous as the bridge deck) or navigate your way up to the forge or village.

I think it is better if you can only discover the forge from the Highland side and village from the Woodland side.

I was torn on the exit, but feel that popping out on the main board in the Woods space is a more fitting option, otherwise players might be tempted just to loop around for the goodies.

@Uvatha - this page gives some hints on looking for useable artwork - http://creative-commons.deviantart.com

As for the decks, about half of the cards will be cards taken from other expansions to aid theme. Some cards should be a pain, like Landslide or Narrow Path and others should be reasonably useful. I am sure there will be some precious stones to be had there!

Obviously static Places aren't really an option in order to help the deck flow.

Card text for existing cards is better if it does not need to be altered, which may discount some cards, though if the change is minimal it should be okay, like referring to a different space of similar.

The text on the board is not finalised and is only a placeholder. If necessary the text boxes can be widened, but it will be nice to keep any instructions to a minimum. As we have no printing costs to consider, we can have more rule sheets than would be usual.

In the 3rd Edition, you roll a die to try and find Morak's Hammer. I'd like maybe to add an attribute discard or similar to help boost this score.

I'm open to suggestions for the village side, though I am leaning towards utilising the Destiny deck, and/or character renewal. No more need to suicide your character at the Sentinel!

Note that the card titles are merely the titles of the art. They can really be anything, and have any effect, but it should be in keeping with the artwork. That's why I left the 'descriptions' so vague...

I'll post some more thoughts later. :)

I really like your ideas. I can't see how this will fail. :)

I would appreciate that the woodland themed cards should circle around the elves - Glade of dreams, Bowmaster, Windling path, Elven steed etc. Perhaps even the woodland side space could be called elven woods. Elven woods and elven village. Dwarfland and Dwarven mine. But maybe that just me and my interest in fantasy going out of line. ;)

I don't know how much time I've to spare but as I can't paint if my life depended on it I can help with the text. Either come up with my own but preferably to cards that already have a basic idea.

As for the lost city I have one idea though. We can add 2 cards, events - City of the Gods and City of the dead.

They should be opposites of each other. Possibly using the light/dark bound mechanic or just go with allignment.

City of the Gods

Stumbling through heavy undergrowth you pass through a portal and find yourself in the legendary City of the Gods.

LB: Gain 1 strength or 1 craft

DB: Lose 1 strength or 1 craft

UB and fateless are ignored.

Then move your character to lost city.

City of the dead

Seeking shelter in a cave you accidently find the entrance to the dreaded City of the dead.

DB: gain

LB: lose

UB and fat less no effect.

Then move your character to the lost city.

(...)

(...)

(...)

(...)

Why? Is there a good reason to deviate from the original fatebound rules?

(...)

(...)

(...)

(...)

Why? Is there a good reason to deviate from the original fatebound rules?

I do not think he is UB= Unbound LB= Lightbound DB= Darkbound and of course fateless is mentioned.

I think he means that fateless should use the 'bottom' effect of a card as per the rules.

Well, maybe I am. :)

Fateless really should have the lower option but as this was supposed to reflect upon the character's faith I choose to write as they were blessed or cursed if they're LB or DB otherwise they're just ignored.

Still, this was just an idea how to make the Lost city part of this expansion and the wording is only there so you can follow my thinking, and has to be rewritten if the idea is liked.

But hey, let's punish the unbelievers! :)

Edited by Rigmaster

I don't mind exceptions to be honest. We'll have to see if it all fits in with the theme etc once things are thrashed out.

Edited by talismanisland

I don't mind exceptions to be honest. We'll have to see if it all fits in with the theme etc once things are thrashed out.

You're calling the shots. Just let us know when you've figured things out and there's many of us willing to lend a hand.

Board artwork is exellent. Looks very "official" (probably because it's by the same artist as the official one ;) ). I would add some subtle dividers between the spaces. On the first glance it looks like one big rectangle not four smaller ones. Simple black lines a'la main board should do. I would also ditch the white line borders. Maybe it's just me but they look strange.

If you're willing to share the orginal artwork file I could work on it. I'm no artist but I can manage couple straight lines in GIMP :)

Edit:

I just noticed the exact same white borders on Deep Realms board. Still look strange but now I know where they came from :)

Edited by Felis

The board is just as is for now. I will be adding dividers etc.

The white lines are only to show how it would look as Realm cards instead of a board.

Edited by talismanisland

The board is just as is for now. I will be adding dividers etc.

The white lines are only to show how it would look as Realm cards instead of a board.

Oh. I see that now. Since we are not restricted with printing/packing concerns we could keep the board whole like in your mock-up photo instead cutting it in half like in Deep Realms. And the artwork is simply too nice to crop it :)

Btw, as I understand, there are only four spaces on this board, right?

This looks to be a fantastic addition! The artwork looks hand painted and is right up to par with what I have come to expect from Talisman additions. Fine work.

Now, not to the negative nanny in the room, this would appear to finish off the main board nicely. So barring some potential systems (like Talisman Forever; thanks Uvatha!) for moving or swapping boards around does this bring to an end the 4th edition revised?

With the material out there I think the fan base could present material for years but does the focus now move to expansions for the new main board?

So many questions.

An idea for Peacock Dragon:

Follower

You may move up to three additional spaces

You may pick up any object you pass in movement

I'd think that would be a nifty follower to have around!

In the 3rd Edition, you roll a die to try and find Morak's Hammer. I'd like maybe to add an attribute discard or similar to help boost this score.

Can someone clarify this Morak's Hammer rules I do not have 3rd and did not ever play with that rule.

tm99_karak-doom.jpg

Can someone clarify this Morak's Hammer rules I do not have 3rd and did not ever play with that rule.
:)

Morak's Hammer was a one-use weapon that gave you an extra 6 to your battle roll when you were in combat. It could only be found at the Karak Doom space. You had to roll a die and on a 5-6 you discovered the hammer. After one use it miraculously found its way back to Karak Doom. If you need any more info, just ask. :)

That's fantastic better put that in for sure :) .

That's why I want to add a number of 'legendary' items, that can be used only once before they return to the space.

Something that you obviously wouldn't want to waste, but could prove a great asset in certain circumstances.

A charm that allows you to open the Portal of Power maybe, something that gives you an emergency teleport perhaps.

By being recalled to the space, everyone gets a fair chance of getting hold of them.

That's why I want to add a number of 'legendary' items, that can be used only once before they return to the space.

Something that you obviously wouldn't want to waste, but could prove a great asset in certain circumstances.

A charm that allows you to open the Portal of Power maybe, something that gives you an emergency teleport perhaps.

By being recalled to the space, everyone gets a fair chance of getting hold of them.

That sounds really cool. How about one that makes another character lose a battle.