The Lost Realms - A Fan Expansion

By talismanisland, in Talisman Home Brews

Yes, that sort of thing. Not necessarily too powerful, but at the right time it could be game winning.

I'm thinking of a bad follower (Trying to think of a good name) in which you only have up to your starting values ( Strength, Craft, Fate, Gold and Life) while they are your Follower. You can only lose him/her by winning defeating three consecutive enemies in any combination of Battle or Psychic Combat.

EDIT: Stand-offs and Evading would count as defeats and would restart the cycle.

Edited by Quartzquiz

If you can and want to use anything from my expansion The enchantress' cheap tricks from the Lucky 13th competition for special items I've no problem at all with that. Those are more like one-time procective items, but very useful in a tight spot - i.e. frog's eye prevents you from turning into a toad.

Thanks! They'd have to be things that a smith could forge though.

True, but I bet a dwarf smith can forge a trinket with similar effects. :)

Thanks! They'd have to be things that a smith could forge though.

Too bad you "Smithy" expansion can't somehow be incorporated into this...

Ok, so just brainstorming a little here concerning the board spaces/movement in the Lost Realms.

Playing off the idea that the Forge/Village are "lost", they should be difficult to reach; not so much due to the difficulty of the cards themselves, but more so from the movement within the Realms. For the purposes of this example, I'm going to give working titles to the entry spaces that connect to the Ravine & Thicket. I'll call them "Forgotten Mountains" and "Wayward Forest" for placeholder names.

Forgotten Mountains/Wayward Forest

Draw 2 Cards

On your next turn, instead of moving normally, roll 1 die:

1. Move to the Crags/Forest.

2. Move to the Ravine/Thicket.

3-4. Encounter this space again.

5. Move to the Wayward Forest/Forgotten Mountains.

6. Move to the Forge/Village.

I would also suggest that the Rules include instructions to shuffle all cards on the space back into the corresponding Lost Realms deck, just like the Bridge deck. I would also suggest the same restrictions about Terrain cards, Spells, dragon tokens, etc. apply to the Lost Realms as they do the Deep Realms.

Ok, so just brainstorming a little here concerning the board spaces/movement in the Lost Realms.

Playing off the idea that the Forge/Village are "lost", they should be difficult to reach; not so much due to the difficulty of the cards themselves, but more so from the movement within the Realms. For the purposes of this example, I'm going to give working titles to the entry spaces that connect to the Ravine & Thicket. I'll call them "Forgotten Mountains" and "Wayward Forest" for placeholder names.

Forgotten Mountains/Wayward Forest

Draw 2 Cards

On your next turn, instead of moving normally, roll 1 die:

1. Move to the Crags/Forest.

2. Move to the Ravine/Thicket.

3-4. Encounter this space again.

5. Move to the Wayward Forest/Forgotten Mountains.

6. Move to the Forge/Village.

I would also suggest that the Rules include instructions to shuffle all cards on the space back into the corresponding Lost Realms deck, just like the Bridge deck. I would also suggest the same restrictions about Terrain cards, Spells, dragon tokens, etc. apply to the Lost Realms as they do the Deep Realms.

Yep, I'm liking this idea. 10 pts. It's clear that this board should be different to Deep Realms but in some regard the same. Thus the cards should be higher gain than loss- not a great deal higher but more of a reward if players move deeper. Also as for the "include instructions to shuffle all cards on the space back into the corresponding Lost Realms deck" can we add a rule for all decks in the game (unless otherwise saying so) that they all reshuffle back to create a new draw deck.

I don't know of any offhand, but if there are any second edition must have cards that are currently MIA this might be a good chance to incorporate them.

Cool, getting some time coming up so I can help out and make a few cards for approvement for the set. So one side is:

The “Woodland side” and is a hidden village where the Elder Faeries or Elves reside, they might grant you something mysterious, like a Destiny or a full complement of Spells or more.

And the other side is:

The "Highland side” and is a lost Dwarven Forge where old and ancient dwarven creations guard some interesting “legendary” items forged long ago.

I can see a bit a conflict happening between these two boarders, possibly being the reason why they have been hidden for so long like I kind of Woodlands Highlands cold war :) . This can play out in the deck. I also see elven scouts, guarding consucts, faerie traps and reenforced bunkers so players when entering automactically get an ongoing conflict feel.

Jon: Does any Creative Commons Licence matter? also with the artwork do you want the artist's name and website link per piece of art? also what card type should I use in Strange Eons?

Hoping I come up with something interesting for the community to mull over.

AOK I did 10 enemies and 3 “legendary” items. I found finding the artwork the hardest thing. The 10 enemies are for the path deck I figure that 10 enemies and then 10-15 other cards would end up with around 20ish. Given that the path spaces would be like the Deep Realms Bridge spaces.

I made Pixies, Faries, and Clockwork Constructs the main features. I've included all my sourced art I found all under the Creative Commons Licence and my Strange Eons card files as well.

Card Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wswvdjhg5gvbxcu/Lost%20Realm%20Cards.png?dl=0

Folder Link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y51baehie2041am/AADN8e-UFP1lvAAfaYEIbLEoa?dl=0

Some nice ideas there which should fit nicely.

I noticed that in using the Highland template you have highlighted an error with the Talisman plugin, which I have now fixed.

http://www.talismanisland.com/_se3/

Note that I've also recently added Ifrit cards to the mix, but they are currently (and will likely only be) Adventure cards. It will take too much work to make versions for all of the other deck types. There is also a Fireproof icon available in standard Adventure cards.

You have also highlighted the problem with generic searches for CC artwork as I think some of those you have used are definitely not under CC. The Hammer for instance is taken from the Mage Wars game, so that cannot be used.

Some of the artwork I already found will substitute nicely though, even if the cards need a new name.

Constructs are a feature of the Dungeon and, although they fit with the dwarven forge theme, they were actually made by the Tinkers. I'll have a think about that though.

Don't forget that there will be some enemies used that already exist in the Highland/Woodland decks, so we might not need as many new ones.

Constructs are a feature of the Dungeon and, although they fit with the dwarven forge theme, they were actually made by the Tinkers. I'll have a think about that though.

So instead of Constructs, they should be Machines? Or something else.

I'm not sure yet. I'll look through the Woodland and Highland decks later and choose a few Enemies that will be good to use.

It may be that there are too many to use for a 'standard' PoD-type deck, but I wouldn't discount the possibility of an expansion for both Lost and Deep Realms in future.

Here is a list of cards from The Highland and The Woodland that I think would work well enough with this expansion -

Highland:

Landslide - Event

Felclaw - Enemy C6/S6 (probably change to Animal)

Roc - Enemy S5

Thundercrest - Enemy S4

Harpy - Enemy C4

Stormwing - Enemy C4 (probably change to Animal)

Mountain Lion - Enemy S3

Mountain Goat - Enemy S2

Falconer - Enemy C3 (change to Bandit)

Wind Rider - S2

Wildlander - Follower

Trailblazer - Follower (but remove Highland limitation)

Beastmaster - Follower

Possibly -

Opal - Object/Trinket

Emerald - Object/Trinket

Ruby - Object/Trinket

Diamond - Object/Trinket

Woodland:

Faerie Trod - Event

Transformed - Event (perhaps hinting at what awaits in the Elven Village)

Dryad - Stranger

Wyrdling - Enemy S6/C6

Red Cap - Enemy S4

Sidhe - Enemy C4

Totem Bear - Enemy C3

Boggart - Enemy C3

Forest Goat - Enemy S2

Puca - Enemy S1

Kelpie - Follower

Piskie Companion - Follower

Bear in mind that this is not a definite list and I will consider any suggestions made. I just think a broad spread of Enemies and other cards would help to tie the expansions together, along with the 20 or so new cards.

Here are some scattered shower thoughts I've had concerning this project:

1) I've been thinking about the background fluff for the Lost Realms. I like the concept that the dwarves and elves/fae had an ongoing conflict in the distant past, because when have those groups ever got along well, right? The border between them was long contested until the elves/fae finally struck a fatal blow against the dwarves, leaving them weakened and other forces stormed in and ravaged the mountains surrounding the Forge. This forced the dwarves to abandon the region as it was overrun by some naughty monsters and became lost. I like the idea that the area is now infested with Goblins/Hobgoblins/Ogres personally, as the game doesn't have enough of these in my opinion.

Shortly after the mountains were overrun and the dwarves were smashed, the elven/fae village became cutoff from the rest of the Talisman world when the Woodlands were hidden by the magics of Oberon and Titania, leaving them to their own devices for the past 1000+ years. They have since been fending off the intrusions of the invaders from the West, and trying to keep out wandering Spirits and Undead from the nearby Graveyard.

2) I like the idea that the Forge side is heavy on Strength Enemies, while the Lost Village side is heavy on Craft Enemies. Furthering the idea for background fluff in point #1, I think we could utilize some Trap Events as holdovers from the previously mentioned conflict.

3) For the Forge and Lost Village spaces, I'm thinking a simple roll table similar to the karak doom space, but a little different.

Forge space

Roll 1 die and add your Strength to the result:

2-7 Choose an Object from the Purchase deck

8-11 Gain +1 Strength

12+ draw a random Legendary Object

Lost Village space

Roll 1 die and add your Craft to the result:

2-7 Gain 1 Spell, if your Craft allows it

8-11 Gain +1 Craft

12+ draw a random destiny

4) The Volcano Monster must be used, it is awesome!

5) An idea for "Regenerating Him": Event where a player can Heal Lives at the cost of 1 Fate per Life healed.

*Edit: Maybe better yet is to be able to exchange Lives for Fate and vice versa, similar to the Magician from the base set.

6) An idea for "The Journey": Event where the player can select the result of their movement table roll on their next Turn, if my previous suggestion from post #32 were to be used.

7) I think it would be fun if we could bump into the "Compleat Adventurer" on the Forge side. Maybe make him an Event where you roll on a table, where he may attack you, join as a Follower, and some other effects, ala the Lone dwarf in the dungeon expansion.

Edited by sanityismyvanity

Here are some scattered shower thoughts I've had concerning this project:

1) I've been thinking about the background fluff for the Lost Realms. I like the concept that the dwarves and elves/fae had an ongoing conflict in the distant past, because when have those groups ever got along well, right? The border between them was long contested until the elves/fae finally struck a fatal blow against the dwarves, leaving them weakened and other forces stormed in and ravaged the mountains surrounding the Forge. This forced the dwarves to abandon the region as it was overrun by some naughty monsters and became lost. I like the idea that the area is now infested with Goblins/Hobgoblins/Ogres personally, as the game doesn't have enough of these in my opinion.

Shortly after the mountains were overrun and the dwarves were smashed, the elven/fae village became cutoff from the rest of the Talisman world when the Woodlands were hidden by the magics of Oberon and Titania, leaving them to their own devices for the past 1000+ years. They have since been fending off the intrusions of the invaders from the West, and trying to keep out wandering Spirits and Undead from the nearby Graveyard.

I like that idea like what Smaug did to the Dwarves in LOTR.

Why not Twist a Little bit (Confrontation TT)

How a about cursed Dwarves like mid-Nor

"The Dwarves of Tir-Nâ-Bor thought they were protected. No mortal force could ever launch an assault on their fortress. In this they were right. But the curse that hit them was not of this world and the enemy came from within. How did this really begin? Why didn’t the Lords of the Dwarves take the disappearances more seriously? There are as many questions as there are regrets. But evil has been done, and this insidious gangrene now haunts the Dwarfish people, for those that have disappeared have now returned. But they are not the same… Someone or something has taken possession of their bodies and of their souls. All they have become is puppets, pawns subjugated to a demonic will. Why did this entity choose the Dwarves? And more importantly, what or who is it really? One name is sometimes whispered… the Despot. And so the menace has been named and its lair is known. Its in the Chasm of Mid-Nor that the possessed Dwarves lie in waiting for their time to come. But it may already be too late. Maybe the subjugation of the Dwarves is just a step in the preparation of the arrival of the Despots real servants. Who knows what ghastly creatures are preparing themselves to surge from the depths of the chasm?"

and

Devourer of Vile Tis Half Elves thats allies with Wolves thats folloes a dark god.

"The Devourers were originally the wolfen Pack of the Moaning Moon. When Vile-Tis, the Beast, was cast out of the heavens by the gods, he landed in the center of their sacred circle. The god of slaughter then revealed to the pack a horrible truth about the gods – their god Yllia didn’t love them, and their savage nature was not a gift, but a curse. Blessed with the Beast’s consciousness, Vile-Tis’ disciples went forth across Aarklash…"

Miniatures where amazing so enough ideas for enemies, Magic items, spells you can get here. The Company going bankrupt so i don´t know how protected the fluff of the TT still is.

Here is a list of cards from The Highland and The Woodland that I think would work well enough with this expansion -

Highland:

Landslide - Event

Roc - Enemy S5

Thundercrest - Enemy S4

Harpy - Enemy C4

Mountain Lion - Enemy S3

Mountain Goat - Enemy S2

Wind Rider - S2

Wildlander - Follower

Beastmaster - Follower

Possibly -

Opal - Object/Trinket

Emerald - Object/Trinket

Ruby - Object/Trinket

Diamond - Object/Trinket

Woodland:

Faerie Trod - Event

Dryad - Stranger

Wyrdling - Enemy S6/C6

Red Cap - Enemy S4

Sidhe - Enemy C4

Totem Bear - Enemy C3

Boggart - Enemy C3

Forest Goat - Enemy S2

Puca - Enemy S1

Kelpie - Follower

Bear in mind that this is not a definite list and I will consider any suggestions made. I just think a broad spread of Enemies and other cards would help to tie the expansions together, along with the 20 or so new cards.

I personally think if half the deck is made up of stuff from other expansions it would negate the feel of having a new expansion. If half the bridge deck was old stuff I would have felt taken when I opened it up.

Well, if you check there are 12 reused cards in the Bridge deck and 8 in the Tunnel deck, meaning exactly half are recycled.

Edited by talismanisland

Man, it did not seem like it. lol

Highland:

Landslide - Event

Roc - Enemy S5

Thundercrest - Enemy S4

Harpy - Enemy C4

Mountain Lion - Enemy S3

Mountain Goat - Enemy S2

Wind Rider - S2

Wildlander - Follower

Beastmaster - Follower

Possibly -

Opal - Object/Trinket

Emerald - Object/Trinket

Ruby - Object/Trinket

Diamond - Object/Trinket

Woodland:

Faerie Trod - Event

Dryad - Stranger

Wyrdling - Enemy S6/C6

Red Cap - Enemy S4

Sidhe - Enemy C4

Totem Bear - Enemy C3

Boggart - Enemy C3

Forest Goat - Enemy S2

Puca - Enemy S1

Kelpie - Follower

I personally think if half the deck is made up of stuff from other expansions it would negate the feel of having a new expansion. If half the bridge deck was old stuff I would have felt taken when I opened it up.

Well, if you check there are 12 reused cards in the Bridge deck and 8 in the Tunnel deck, meaning exactly half are recycled.

Man, it did not seem like it. lol

Got to love this forum sometimes :) .

So to recap:

Jon : Should we come up with the 20 or so cards as "ideas" for you to mull over. And let you source the artwork because I can think of lots of cards (the artwork is the thing that stuffs me up).

Also, do you need help deciding on what cards from other expansions should be included into the decks?

Edited by Uvatha

Let me gather my thoughts over the weekend and I'll post something later.

I've had a fair bit of stuff to sort out, but I did manage to come up with a template to use rather than just recycle one.

tm99-template.jpg

Let me gather my thoughts over the weekend and I'll post something later.

I've had a fair bit of stuff to sort out, but I did manage to come up with a template to use rather than just recycle one.

tm99-template.jpg

I had previously posted an idea for this card, but for those that don't want to search for it:

PEACOCK DRAGON:

Follower

You may add up to three additional spaces for movement.

You may pick up any objects you encounter during movement.

Edited by Quartzquiz

It's on the front page Qq :)

It's possible that it might be a little too useful, but I'm thinking about it!