Rate this Character out of 10: The Doomsayer?

By kain7th, in Talisman

Alchemist 8.5

Amazon 6.5

Ancient Oak 7

Arcane Scion 7

Assassin 9

Black Knight 5.5

Bounty Hunter 9.5

Cat Burglar 6

Chivalric Knight 5

Cleric 7

Conjurer 5

Dark Cultist 6

Dervish 6.5

Doomsayer 5.5

Dragon Hunter 4.5

Dragon Priestess 3

Dragon Rider 5

Dread Knight 1.5

Druid 6.5

Dwarf 5.5

Elementalist 4.5

Elf 4

Fire Wizard 6

Ghoul 3

Gladiator 4.5

Grave Robber 4

Gypsy 6

Highlander 4.5

Jin Blooded 6.5

Knight 5

Leprechaun 8

Leywalker 4

Magus 3.5

Merchant 5

Minotaur 4.5

Minstrel 4

Monk 2.5

Mutant 6.5

Necromancer 5.5

Nomad 4.5

Ogre Chieftain 7

Philosopher 5

Priest 2

Prophetess 6

Rogue 4.5

Sage 6.5

Scavenger 4

Scout 5.5

Sorceress 5

Spider Queen 3.5

Sprite 4.5

Spy 5

Swashbuckler 5

Tavern Maid 5.5

Thief 4.5

Tinkerer 6.5

Totem Warrior 6

Troll 6

Valkyrie 5.5

Vampire Hunter 5

Vampiress 5

Warlock 7.5

Warlord 6

Warrior 5.5

Wizard 6.5

I have the doomsayer at a 5.5. A fun character that pretty much has an endless supply of fate which means you will be choosing to reroll a lot; a nice bonus. Also, you will usually have a full complement of spells, so can cycle through them pretty quickly. However the special ability to draw an additional card on a lot of turns (around 60%) is really nothing more than a gamble so unless you are behind(or just crazy) this does not get used much. With the abilities above the character can be broken if they get Luna, the Scribe or even the spellbook. Our group has put a halt to these combos but running the game as is can lead to abuse....

He's a good character for sure, if you just keep track of when to draw cards. I don't really like him though as he focuses on too many things. I would have preferred an extra fate ability instead of the spell one which seems out of place with the character. But as written I give him a 6, with woodlands a 7.

" I don't really like him though as he focuses on too many things."

This. I find that the characters whose abilities force me to pay close attention to the game---to the types of cards I'm drawing, to the types of cards everyone else is drawing---make the game a little less enjoyable.

But, yeah, he's a good character. There are lots of enemies in the deck, lots of opportunities to use this guy's abilities. I like that he starts out with 7 total base strength/craft.

I love how the doomsayer's abilities tie into the flavor of his character.

Edited by Jenna

" Our group has put a halt to these combos but running the game as is can lead to abuse...."

I like those games that seem impossible. It's all the more awesome on the occasions when the invincible one loses.

good stats, endless fate, occasional spells and extra draws?

paying a little attention to the game is not a great hardship tbh...

9,5/10

In a 4 player game anyway. closer to 7 or 8 in a 2 player game since fate and spell gain becomes much less.

Edited by Rawsugar