Rate this Character out of 10: The Gypsy

By kain7th, in Talisman

If other spell casters are playing she really changes the dynamic of the game as they think twice before casting a spell since she can steal it. She has solid fate but only a St2.

I would give her a solid 6.

Her event ability is one of the more useful once and, as Jediknightamoeba said: if other spellcasters are in the game she can be a real game changer.

I'll give her a strong 7.

As was mentioned previously, if there are no other spell casters in the game then one of her special abilities is useless. This is why players should choose their characters secretly, but then not reveal them until everyone has chosen. If I the Gypsy was one of my options, but then I saw that there were no spell casters, I would drop her (and vice versa). If I don't know who else is going to be playing then I have to make the decision if I want to take that chance or not.

But when there are other spell casters, then the others must weigh if they want to cast a certain spell at a certain time. If the Gypsy is full up on spells, then fire away. If she has an open slot, then maybe I'd think twice before casting Craft or Strength or Mesmerism, etc. Simply her presence in the game affects how others play out their turns. That is huge.

But the ability to avoid events is pretty big. There are some big ones that can be somewhat devastating. In fact, if she chooses not to encounter them then they stay on the board for some other character to potentially have to face.

I'll give her an average rating of 7, with a high of 8 (with other spell casters) and a low of 6 (without other spell casters).

But the ability to avoid events is pretty big. There are some big ones that can be somewhat devastating. In fact, if she chooses not to encounter them then they stay on the board for some other character to potentially have to face.

I would say this is wrong. She can choose not to be affected by an event but not to skip the encounter entirely. So the card goes to the discard pile.

This also means she that if she draws events like blizzard and storm she's unaffected but other potential targets aren't. But if she draws closeup shops or Armageddon (or Ragnarok...? Can't remember which - the event when all cards disappear...) she can do nothing about it as they affect the board and not her.

I would say this is wrong. She can choose not to be affected by an event but not to skip the encounter entirely. So the card goes to the discard pile.

This also means she that if she draws events like blizzard and storm she's unaffected but other potential targets aren't. But if she draws closeup shops or Armageddon (or Ragnarok...? Can't remember which - the event when all cards disappear...) she can do nothing about it as they affect the board and not her.

I'm just going off of my recollection of what the D.E. does, which I never found to be inconsistent. (To be fair, I haven't played the Gypsy in a while, so I can't confirm if it still does this--or even if my memory is incorrect of what the D.E. does.)

On events that affect other players, the event still happens, but it doesn't affect the Gypsy.

On events that don't affect the characters, the event still happens.

But I thought that if the event could affect the Gypsy and only the Gypsy and she chose not to let it affect her that the event stayed on the board until it did affect someone. I'm open to correction on this one. Again, I don't remember 100%.

average of 5-7 depending how characters are chosen and playgroup preferenes (7 if choosing between 3 cards and ppl favor casters),

Pr game 8-10 depending on number of spellcaster, 2 if no spellcasters

I'm just going off of my recollection of what the D.E. does, which I never found to be inconsistent. (To be fair, I haven't played the Gypsy in a while, so I can't confirm if it still does this--or even if my memory is incorrect of what the D.E. does.)

On events that affect other players, the event still happens, but it doesn't affect the Gypsy.

On events that don't affect the characters, the event still happens.

But I thought that if the event could affect the Gypsy and only the Gypsy and she chose not to let it affect her that the event stayed on the board until it did affect someone. I'm open to correction on this one. Again, I don't remember 100%.

Choosing to be unaffected by an Event, doesn't stop the Event from occurring; it is discarded once encountered (not all Events - Blizzard remains). I have asked Nomad Games to correct this, including players with the Astrolabe.

Edited by talismanamsilat

A strong 7. It's fun making other players think twice about casting spells.

6/10. Gets stomped by characters like the Troll, but is the Warlock's nemesis.