Rogue Dakotan's Painted Miniatures

By Rogue Dakotan, in Imperial Assault Painting and Modification

interesting. But i'm sticking with Citadel. It's what 99% of my collection is and makes it much easier to follow along with @Sorastro ;)

Hmm. I'm almost done with Captain Terro, but I wanna take a cue from Sorastro and do something a bit out of the ordinary for my other Dewback Rider.

Since I live in Arizona, i've been looking through all the different species of lizards that live in the state for inspiration and I can't settle on one.

These are all options currently:

GAMWIS-Babb-2008.jpg

UTASTA-M.jpg

ASPPAI-06a.jpg

SCECLA-2004.jpg

SCECLA-10.jpg

This one i'd do a gradient of bright blue to dark gray.

I really like the idea of having some blue on the lizard.

SCEMAG-09.jpg

This one just looks so cool though. And doing a gradient of green/blue up to a dark brown, picking out random scales in yellow and orange sounds really cool.

COPTEX-WWells-08.jpg

HOLELE-F-07e.jpg

This one seems much simpler. Just orange and brown which would probably look good.

DMOcpNgV4AA33QH.jpg

DMOcrAKUMAE4TJK.jpg

The bright blue one look great but I think the one with random yellow and orange mix with blue/green belly look even better. Go with that one!

I really like the guy on top, but it could be difficult to get that stripey pattern to turn out really well. Beyond that, I think the one with the bright blue -> green/yellow -> brown gradient with all the orange scales would look super cool. If you don't use it, I might need to steal that image for myself :D

yeah I agree.

I think i'm going to have to go with this guy for inspiration:

SCEMAG-09.jpg

the plan is to just use Sorastro's gradient method from the dewback video and I guess go from Blue/Green, to Yellow, to tan/brown?

DN4127sV4AEwZ8Q.jpg

DN415CXUIAAC4dc.jpg

DN418yqV4AAKw_5.jpg

eh

It is more yellow than I thought it would be. First I thought it could need to be toned down a bit with brown but actually I only think the legs could do with a darker color (the same as on the back). The legs of the real lizard above, that you choose for inspiration, have the same colour on the back as on the legs despite being closer to the stomach. A small detail but I think it would look better with it.

The overall transition of colours looks great and I will definitely try this when I get so far as to buy I Dewback

It makes it easy to distinguish them quickly in games, that's for sure.

I am given over to the impression that you did not paint gaming miniatures prior to Imperial Assault. Is that correct? If so, do you plan on only painting Star Wars subject matter?

43 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

I am given over to the impression that you did not paint gaming miniatures prior to Imperial Assault. Is that correct? If so, do you plan on only painting Star Wars subject matter?

I did a small number of X-Wing ships as my first first attempt at mini painting.

My first ever:

wOLVBJz.jpg

Then I started IA which was the first real go at painting. So yeah I technically did a couple X-Wing things, but IA is really what got me into mini painting.

I want to paint other stuff, but I'm always falling behind on IA, and soon I'll also have Legion, so it'll probably be mostly Star Wars stuff for me.

The only non-Star Wars things I've painted is the entire base set of Mice and Mystics

On 11/6/2017 at 11:03 AM, RogueLieutenant said:

I did a small number of X-Wing ships as my first first attempt at mini painting.

My first ever:

wOLVBJz.jpg

Then I started IA which was the first real go at painting. So yeah I technically did a couple X-Wing things, but IA is really what got me into mini painting.

I want to paint other stuff, but I'm always falling behind on IA, and soon I'll also have Legion, so it'll probably be mostly Star Wars stuff for me.

The only non-Star Wars things I've painted is the entire base set of Mice and Mystics

If you paint for many years, you will find that GW has a tendency to re-do their paint line every 5 years or so, and you will be unable to replace old paints when you want to. This finally got me to get a color wheel, study a modicum of color theory, and get to where I could mix almost exact replicas of various colors. If you don't have one a $3 color wheel from any art store will be the best investment you can make. It seems like you are new to minis but not new to art though, so you probably already have one.

This was really handy for my Echo Base Troopers. I got more than one pack of them and they are the bedrock of my IA forces. However I decided I did not, in my heart of hearts, want them to look just like ESB. I wanted them to look like my beloved childhood metal Kenner guys from the Hoth Ion Cannon toy. So I got a near-mint one of those toys off ebay, and held his uniform up to my color wheel, and did some figuring-it-out. It was a lot more rewarding than my original plan of going off ESB screenshots. Which the various Kenner toys notoriously usually did not match the exact look of the movies! (To mach their vests/boots, use an equivalent of the old Citadel Snakebite Leather with a drop of red. Their uniforms were a warm off-white similar to old Bleached Bone, though I used a cool white for their gloves to break things up).

I played Mice & Mystics once. It looked really really fast to paint. It would be a good starter for anyone considering the hobby.

Although some days, I look at my massive painting backlog, and think I should throw in the towel and switch to oil based glossy enamels. Just paint all my guys to look like 1940's toy soldiers.

DOem3YeVwAAI2Zn.jpg

DOem5PDU8AAlBTb.jpg

DOkZpwbVQAElhsc.jpg DOkZr2vVQAAQqLC.jpg

Great work! I like the look you gave those two heroes. :)

DPC72CHUEAASF3w.jpg

DPC75IxVoAAO7Vz.jpg

DPC7SdYUIAUF2Rl.jpg

DPC7VWiU8AA3KM3.jpg

Since Hera is in my Regionals list I had to get her painted up. (can't be showing up to a tournament with unpainted minis now can I?)

I'm pleased with how she turned out. Though it was hard to get a decent picture for some reason.

DPb8fRKU8AA0TI7.jpg DPb8cmVUQAA-Wl5.jpg DPb8WJPV4AEKnvQ.jpg

DPb8YmsUQAESZzN.jpg

DPTIvcvXUAAFzxv.jpg DPTIsGBXcAAN-eA.jpg

4 hours ago, RogueLieutenant said:

DPTIvcvXUAAFzxv.jpg DPTIsGBXcAAN-eA.jpg

Ha! Yes! Loving it

DPmaQZoUEAALXUq.jpg DPmaOciUQAAWEKX.jpg

Great blue colour!

DQLWVWjVQAA2rws.jpg

The team that got me into top 8 at regionals this year!

Hey I actually painted something.

DSqVrNBVAAAFsyp.jpg

DS1L2F_VAAAEcPX.jpg

DS1L6eAVAAAKZQv.jpg

DS1beUAVAAEibd_.jpg

I just painted Sorin about as fast as I could lol. I don't imagine I'll be getting him on the table much if any so I wasn't as concerned with his quality.