Rogue Dakotan's Painted Miniatures

By Rogue Dakotan, in Imperial Assault Painting and Modification

Yeah that's right.

I finally got around to painting General Weiss. AT-ST is almost done too but not quite. Look forward to that soon.

C2bMzQNVQAEPyRd.jpg

C2bM1fcUkAEUeu7.jpg C2bM2l_VQAAWgb9.jpg

I decided to keep Weiss's rig relatively clean, as i figure he's the guy who wouldn't let it get all muddy and stuff.

You can't really see it here, but there's green dots on his binoculars on the outside, and the inside of it has sort of a green glow.

Finished my AT-ST. First time trying any base scenery. Mostly because I bought the mud texture before realizing what it was for and didn't want to waste it.

C2ldjSzVIAAoADB.jpg

C2ldsyxUcAAtRRV.jpg

C2ldlmIUQAAiHHg.jpg

That looks really good RL. I screwed up on mine and didn't mold the texture properly I kind of just slopped it on, then I went a bit heavy on the dry brush. It still looks good and the tufts cover a lot of it but it definitely doesn't look as realistic as yours. Very nice.

What did you use to sculpt it like that? Also where did you get that awesome paint holder for all your citadel pods?

I just used and old brush and slopped on the mud texture... nothing special.

The paint holder is a nail polish display stand I found on Amazon.

Finished painting my ugnaughts!

I wanted to make them all a bit different, so each has a different colored apron, different hair color, and different droid arm color amongst other things. Used some Typhus Corrosion that I had bought for the AT-STs to toss some grime on their aprons.

C3J2cgHVcAAKX8H.jpg

C3J2dsXUoAE698-.jpg

C3J2e28UkAAulNg.jpg

I made a custom two player dice tray. Also works good as a tournament tray for carrying figures and cards around in. Started out as sort of an experiment but I'm happy with the results. :)

C3YH51hUEAAD7Gi.jpg

C3YH7_ZVcAAyp7C.jpg

(In other news, if anyone has one blue, and one black regionals dice for trade, let me know...)

C3ouBDoUYAANgTw.jpg

These guys were annoying to paint. They didn't turn out as good as my other stuff I don't think.

Royal Guard Champion.

I tried my hand at adding some blood drip to his blade as well.

C4ByNexVUAAGqau.jpg

C4ByOPiVUAAgsB7.jpg

C4ByPE_VYAA3Nxc.jpg

C9Vpp2AVwAAJ27h.jpg

Upgraded some lightsabers.

Where in the world did you find those acrylic rods?

Whenever I found a suitable translucent rod, it would cost more than the expansion and I would have to buy 6 ft of it and in one color only! So I said, "Forget it!"

For real. Those are great. I've tried about 4 different methods for light sabers and still haven't found an effect I'm happy with. Feel free to share your source..and method!

Side note: I've thought it would be awesome to recast OB1 in clear or blue/green acrylic to be his force ghost! I just don't have the know-how (or the time/money/drive) not sure which.

Thanks for the link!

I don't know if this is practical-- I'm sure its possible --but I'd like to try and make the lightsaber glow, using these rods and mini LEDs.

http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/

Then again... maybe not!

Edited by Force Majeure

Mostly done with my Rancor. Still working on the base, which I'm not sure if it'll look good or not... We'll see. I'm still new at doing scenic bases.

C-E-FUrUAAAYn0J.jpg

C-E-GBxUMAAFFra.jpg

41 minutes ago, Cusm said:

Are those the same size as Lego Lightsabers?

Not sure. I suppose I could compare when I get home (which I'll forget) but I'm pretty sure they're thinner than lego ones.

Thanks. I saw someone post that 1/16 is the size wanted, but I have no idea what size the Lego one is and my son has a ton of those so I figured it would be different.

Finished my Rancor!

I did my best to do a scenic base. Made with real Tattooine rocks! (Or close enough. I picked up some rocks outside in Arizona, where some tattooine stuff was filmed.)

C-TOGOZUQAAVQLb.jpg

C-TOHbmVwAAC85u.jpg

C-TOIh0VoAADeBo.jpg

For what it's worth, *I* steal transparent lightsabers from old Wizards of the Coast minis. The minis themselves are dirt cheap, so you should have no problem getting the colors you want.

2 hours ago, TheOnlyTrout said:

For what it's worth, *I* steal transparent lightsabers from old Wizards of the Coast minis. The minis themselves are dirt cheap, so you should have no problem getting the colors you want.

I have a buttload of them that just sit in a box, but I'm still too attached to them to cut them up. For now.

in any case, their sabers can still get a bit droopy, whereas these rods I bought are solid.

On ‎14‎.‎04‎.‎2017 at 5:15 AM, RogueLieutenant said:

Upgraded some lightsabers.

Wow! Looks great! What was you blade made with?

I'd like to suggest that you use a white background for your photos, paper or poster-board works just fine.

This would allow us to see your awesome paint job, without the distraction behind.

C_IDsbeVYAAYzCx.jpg

C_IDtckUMAAcyta.jpg