Character Artwork Thread

By verdantsf, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

The first one has darker shadings. Otherwise, the two images are identical. Same pose, same weapon, same armor.

Edited by ShadoWarrior

Those last two pictures look completely identical to me.

Can someone help me understand what the differences are?

Looks the same, just with a different render. It looks cool, but the rifle should pop more, so a different shade on it, or thicker lines on the gun would be great to separate the gun from the character and don`t stress the eye to do it. Nice character though :)

Edited by RodianClone

Our very first in-game PC wedding - and it's a cross-species, cross-faction one.

This pair are so sweet. The players even wrote the character's wedding vows and everything.

Our game can get very dark and grindhouse, so I've come to enjoy the sappy moments and the Lawful-Good characters like these.

The bride is a human diplomat, and the groom is a Mirialan Guardian (and now I want her shoes :(

I do not want to presume, but are most of the characters in your group female? Just an observation from your portfolio where most of the work (which is very good) has female characters.

I do not want to presume, but are most of the characters in your group female? Just an observation from your portfolio where most of the work (which is very good) has female characters.

No, not female.

SUPER HOT FEMALE. ;)

There are some guys among the PCs, but more girls than guys.

And while it's natural players will want to play good-looking characters (most movie heroes are easy on the eye after all) I make sure they play them as fully-rounded characters. The wedding scene above was the culmination of a year of play, and the pair actually had a few differences to resolve. I wanted the picture to convey that rather than just 'OMG hawt lezbyans!!!!'

(and not that's a bad thing, but we also do 'normal' SW stuff. Those stormtroopers aren't gonna shoot themselves.)

Edited by Maelora

And while it's natural players will want to play good-looking characters (most movie heroes are easy on the eye after all) I make sure they play them as fully-rounded characters. The wedding scene above was the culmination of a year of play, and the pair actually had a few differences to resolve. I wanted the picture to convey that rather than just 'OMG hawn lezbyans!!!!'

(and not that's a bad thing, but we do 'normal' SW stuff like shooting stormtroopers too!)

I don’t think I could ever play in your game. I’d be way too … distracted … by the artwork of the “hawn lezbyans”.

Then I’m sure I’d get shot while I was distracted.

Of course, the entire point of the woman in the red dress is to distract you so that you don’t notice the Agent. ;)

I don’t think I could ever play in your game. I’d be way too … distracted … by the artwork of the “hawn lezbyans”.

Then I’m sure I’d get shot while I was distracted.

Heh, I know I sometimes give that impression... But there are only three couples, across 20-odd characters. And they're not constantly wearing Slave Leia outfits and making out. That's kind of hard to do when you're supposed to be shooting stormtroopers.

So not too distracting! :)

This actually started out as a Star Wars group. Then the client changed his mind because his players wanted a more realistic style. I really liked the sketch, but I couldn`t finish it without getting paid, so I changed the characters into reptiles.

The original species made it work and I got to say I`m happy with the result :)

Set to cook

set_to_cook_by_slapsticky-da5k9g4.jpg

Feel free to come up with the story here!

Edited by RodianClone

I so need to get some nice "hero shots" of our group done. But, at an average of $30-40 that I've seen for commissions and a total of 10 characters who'd need to be done, it's going to have to remain a, "someday" thing.

"Have everyone get their own," you say. That would be a good idea, but what I've got in mind would be a nice surprise for the players (a character/campaign info folder/binder for each, with custom cover in the FFG book style).

I so need to get some nice "hero shots" of our group done. But, at an average of $30-40 that I've seen for commissions and a total of 10 characters who'd need to be done, it's going to have to remain a, "someday" thing.

"Have everyone get their own," you say. That would be a good idea, but what I've got in mind would be a nice surprise for the players (a character/campaign info folder/binder for each, with custom cover in the FFG book style).

If your players trust you than ask for the money for really vague reasons? I mean, it sort of ruins the whole "gift" aspect (unless you're of the mindset that the monetary part isn't the gift and it's the work you've done to bring the whole binder together). Tell them it's for something really cool for the campaign - you've put the work in, but you need to fundraise for it. Make sure to stress that it will be a lovely surprise and benefits everyone.

Another NPC in my game.. One of the player`s sister. Qatana Tarkin, the ISB agent out to get her brother.

special_agent_qatana_tarkin_by_slapstick

If your players trust you than ask for the money for really vague reasons? I mean, it sort of ruins the whole "gift" aspect (unless you're of the mindset that the monetary part isn't the gift and it's the work you've done to bring the whole binder together). Tell them it's for something really cool for the campaign - you've put the work in, but you need to fundraise for it. Make sure to stress that it will be a lovely surprise and benefits everyone.

Definitely something to consider. Might be a little more manageable if I can find an artist who might be willing to cut me a bit of a break since I'll be getting 10. (Three will end up coming out of my pocket anyway: mine, my wife's and our son's.)

Nytwyng, I use a few artists who give discounts for several orders.

Check out somewhere like DeviantArt. Despite the name, most artists are perfectly Safe For Work and there's loads of super-talented people willing to do commissions for reasonable rates.

Nytwyng, I use a few artists who give discounts for several orders.

Check out somewhere like DeviantArt. Despite the name, most artists are perfectly Safe For Work and there's loads of super-talented people willing to do commissions for reasonable rates.

I'm quite familiar with DA. That's where I'm calculating the average from. ;-)

When my GM gets around to starting (and writing!) his campaign, I'm going to want to get at least a sweet headshot of my character and maybe one for my fiance!

New PC, independent biotic-enhanced assassin like Thane Krios from Mass Effect, Jayla Raen:

maleora69_sale3_by_avionetca_by_maelora6

Another new one, belonging to a dear friend here who wanted something more demure and less cleavage-y (it's a word!)

maleora69_sal_5_by_avionetca-da6hoif.jpg

The togruta is called Kemna, and the little flowering cactus is called Auna :) They're both so sweet!

Edited by Maelora

Eeeee~

And yes, the cactus is a character. 'She's' a very important character, in fact. It's a long (somewhat adorable!) story...

Edited by Absol197

And yes, the cactus is a character. 'She's' a very important character, in fact. It's a long (somewhat adorable!) story...

When do you think FFG will release stats for the cactus?

Ugh, I bet we get stats for ugly flowers before we see stats for 'pretty' flowers! It's just not fair on people who want to play attractive plants!

(But srsly, she's a combination Mentor and Holocron in terms of stats. Because she's kinda more vulnerable than most, being a little plant and everything... In terms of character, she's a fun sidekick with a unique perspective!)

Edited by Maelora

I predict a release with the stats by June 31, 20F9! Bank on it!

Is that a baby Neti? Maybe only a few hundred years old?

Nope! Just a cactus! Maybe four or five years old!

EDIT: Oh great. I'm supposed to be asleep right now, but you got me wondering how long cacti live, so now I'm trolling through Wikipedia at near midnight making sure I've got it right!

It might be my Brain forcing me to do this, but I blame you!

EDIT 2: Okay okay, we're good now. Different species have different lifespans, but they tend to be long-lived and grow very slowly. Auna could conceivably be as old as Kemna and still be that small...

...What? Stop looking at me like that, I'm not crazy...O_o

Edited by Absol197

Thread "derailment" by cactus. That is both a new and adorable experience. Seriously, though, this might be one of my favorite threads on the whole site.

Hey now, I wouldn't call it a "derailment," the train was simply going faster than the construction crews!

Besides, Auna is a very nice cactus...

Edited by Absol197