Character Artwork Thread

By verdantsf, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

You do have to work at it, but you can't deny some people do start out more artistically inclined than others and that's fine. You can still get good (git gud) regardless but chances are you started with other inclinations. For example I could barely draw a stick man at age (2)5 but I was always very analytical. But I am going to try to draw, if only for my rpg groups.

Talent without hard work equals poor art.

Hard work without talent equals, at best, mediocre art.

I mean, I could be wrong, but that's the way I see it. This is more or less true depending on what you replace "art" with. Even those not naturally gifted at martial arts can learn to defend themselves effectively with hard work and some determination, but the very best are both dedicated and gifted. Hard work boosts cardio and makes one a pretty decent runner, but only hard work and talent creates an Olympic runner. Or even a high school state medalist. I can never sing or play the violin because I'm tone deaf - which, admittedly, is not the same as not being talented. And art is something that requires real talent to be very adept at... yes, talent and hard work, but the human eye tends to reject things that are even a bit out of proportion.

No one isn't saying you great artists don't work hard. They're saying that it isn't enough, by itself. Some people can't draw and wish they could - simple as that.

I went through a couple of years of art school, and there are valid points to both sides of this. I couldn't draw for kriff when I first started, but doing the assignments every day really improved my hand and my eye. Now that I don't do it every day (because playing Overwatch and watching LotR engage my dumb lizard brain more) I'm super rusty. The true talent comes in when you draw from imagination. Translating the ideas in your head to the paper is incredibly difficult, and is really the main barrier to any art. Art is communication, and the ability to communicate your ideas well in your chosen medium is what makes a good artist. You can NOT get to that point without keeping up the constant, monotonous, mindful practice though. The ability to communicate those ideas does not exist until you've had that practice. This has turned into a bit of a ramble haha

Speaking as someone with zero artistic talent whose taken art classes their entire life, talent is a HUGE key to success. I can't draw a circle without it looking like I drew it during an earthquake. I've gotten better, slightly.

Sure, if I spent my ENTIRE life studying art, I might be good but that's not practical.

Some people have a gift, some do not. Anyone with a gift is blessed that way.

Less debate whether drawing ability is more natural talent or practice, more awesome character drawings please. :)

Less debate whether drawing ability is more natural talent or practice, more awesome character drawings please. :)

Agreed! I want to ooo and awe at gorgeous art that you wonderful people have created!

3b05c436855925.572b8a86508dc.jpg

08512836855925.572b8a8650215.jpg

978ea636855925.572b8a864fc8b.jpg

a0ace836855925.572f7c41a73c5.jpg

To cool the debate that I started (Sorry for that), I present to you: HK-51
This rusty bucket is an Assasin Droid disguised as a Protocoll Droid and with 3668 years by far the oldest member of the group, however he needs quite a few repairs and updates to work at peak efficency again

hk_51_by_wastelandengie-da9l0eo.jpg

Another quick sketch done by my wife of her current character Ahzoth. He's a Sith pureblood who recently found out he was descended from Naga Sadow. The entirety of the campaign has been about separating himself from the Sith and Jedi and following his own path, whatever that means to him.

13265981_10100527536965022_7484715558443

Reminder: She is currently open for commissions. I'll try and find a commission pricing outline outline that isn't a Facebook post (for those of you who do not use Facebook).

Edited by kaosoe

Literally what I was about to say. :P Unfortunately I have no new photo edits to contribute nor can I afford commissions, sooo... *prods people who possess character art*

Some good contributions thusfar.

*prods people who possess character art*

Ouch. And I just came out of hospital :(

Anyway, want more cheesecake?

More pin-ups really, as usual I don't think it's too extreme but if it is, let me know and I'll take 'em down.

These are a series by comic artist John Becaro. All the outfits are from Knights of the Old Republic MMO.

Firstly, this is Isabella 'Dixie Belle' Wilder, the new Sheriff of Scoundrel's Luck, since the former Sheriff Solo is now at home nursing his injuries, being looked after by his wife Brea and his young twins:

dixie_by_john_becaro_by_maelora69-d9qa89

(Ms Wilder, 45, from newly-liberated Coruscant, modelling the 'Showoff's Casual' outfit)

Next up is the Captain of the Krayt Fang, gambler and intergalactic jewel thief, Ardanna Cynn, toting her Sakiyan D29 Repulsor, colloquially known as the 'Lightning Gun':

cynn_by_john_becaro_by_maelora69-da8coro

(Ms Cynn, 25, from Ryloth, models the 'Daring Rogue' outfit)

Finally, here's the Chiss mercenary, Reya, who likes messing with people's minds and causing big explosions:

reya_john_becaro_by_maelora69-da9qcyr.jp

(Ms Der'ey'ath, 27, from Csilla, models the 'Expert Fighter' outfit)

Edited by Maelora

As usual, Marcy has the best cheesecake :) !

Also, I really hope you're feeling better. Gotta say, I've been worried for you. I would give you a big hug, but if being poked still hurts, I'll hold off until you've recovered more...

Also:

(Ms Wilder, 45, from newly-liberated Coruscant, modelling the 'Showoff's Casual' outfit)

Edited by Absol197

That's alot of cheesecake!.. :P :D

Edited by RodianClone

As usual, Marcy has the best cheesecake :) !

Also, I really hope you're feeling better. Gotta say, I've been worried for you. I would give you a big hug, but if being pile still hurts, I'll hold off until you've recovered more...

Aww, thanks Phee! I am responding as we speak, hope to get a new Auna one done soon too!

Your Age team finally got Coruscant? Wow, go them!

(seriously off-topic!)

No, that was the 'scum and villainy' faction, believe it or not. Xizor and Savan have been working at that for years, and finally pulled the trigger, inflicting wounds on the Empire that might prove fatal. It left the Imperials as scattered enclaves on various continents and all the cities in open revolt. Emperor Tarkin isn't from Coruscant, so he doesn't care so much about humanity's birthplace. It doesn't overly weaken the Empire in practical terms - but in propaganda terms the Imperium being kicked off Coruscant (by aliens!) is huge. The Shadow Collective can now negotiate with the Jedi for access to their old areas. They are unlikely to be able to hold it... but right now, right at this moment, they have incredible bargaining power. (The Alliance doesn't care much about Coruscant either, aside from those few humans who are ex-Old Republic).

At this point, our Galactic Civil War has split along Empire vs Shadow Collective and Jedi vs Alliance lines. With the Alliance and Shadow Collective guardedly watching each other's backs, for now. It's probably incorrect to even talk of a united Empire at this point - they have mostly split into various sub-factions and many Imperials have just gone pirate, setting themselves up as warlords and raiders. The 'First Order' (the pro-Jedi faction) have officially declared war on the rest of the Imperial factions and are hoping to become part of the Confederacy (the Jedi see them as a bunch of idiots who might make useful cannon fodder...). The Emperor sits in his busted super-weapon, giving orders to fleets that have long since been wiped out by the Mandolorians or Quix Ulnar's pirate forces. It has that 'last days of Hitler in his Berlin bunker' feel to it. Unless somehow the Death Star comes back online, then all bets are off...

(This is also just what Lucas Lars wants and has been quietly working towards; the Shadow Collective goes legit, absorbing the Corporate Sector. The Jedi reclaim their old centres of control, absorbing the Imperial remnants and declaring a New Republic, which recognises the rights and independence of Corporate and Alliance space. And everyone finally stops shooting at each other. While he dislikes the Jedi, he's enough of a realist to know they would have to be central to any peace talks. And he'd sooner see them shackled to protecting a New Republic than fighting the other Force traditions in wars of conquest.).

Edited by Maelora

Ooh, awesome! Of course, this means a hypothetical sudden surge of power in the Alderaani graveyard would be of very keen interest to His Ignoble Majesty, wouldn't it?

Ó_Ò'

But, uh, there's no reason to think that that's going to...

I mean, that would be so incredibly...

The odds on that are astronomical, right? Right?

I'm just asking. For a friend, you see. Well, two friends, actually...

...SO! Art! Let's do more art! I don't have any Star Wars art unfortunately, but the one thing I do have to share is this:

mensharr_hessarrain_by_3shades-d4x27eb.j

Hmm...the image is a lot smaller than I remember it being...

EDIT: Hey, there we go! Helps if I copy the FULL url, not just the one for the thumbnail version!

That's my favorite character I've ever played, Mensharr Hessarrain, an anthropomorphic cat. Like I said, not Star Wars, but I want to share here in more ways than just being a member of the peanut galley, so there you go, that's all I got!

Edited by Absol197

Oh he's soooo cool! Just like I imagined him! :)

We shall move the off-topic stuff off here now I'm posting again! :) Sorry everyone :)

*takes the hint*</offtopic>

<ontopic>

You know, continuing my fascination with Signature Abilities that those who frequent the F&D forum might be familiar with, something that might be cool to do is a series of pictures for each signature ability. Sort of like a gallery of action shots of the most awesome techniques that each career can wield.

Any of our local artistes want to take a whack at it?

Edited by Absol197

*takes the hint*</offtopic>

<ontopic>

You know, continuing my fascination with Signature Abilities that those who visit the F&D forum might be familiar with, something that might be cool to do is a series of pictures for each signature ability. Sort of like a gallery of action shots of the most awesome techniques that each career can wield.

That would be cool. I'd actually like to see FFG 'iconics', not so much canon characters, but in-game examples of what a career can look like. I recall previous SW games actually had these popping up in the rules.

Here's a UPDATED picture of that 6 years old picture of my character.

This picture was commissioned to me by Pete, my friend. It's way more bulkier than what I previously wanted, but this actually looks really cool. So it doesn't matter. :)

Idea is to have a environmental suit on the character, and the armor pieces just fit that idea better than just having a bodysuit like before. At any rate, I'm really happy with this work.

Here's more of Pete's art if you guys are interested:

http://peter83.deviantart.com/

https://www.patreon.com/Peterpunk

reed_by_peter83-daa00j2.jpg

That is extremely cool. It has an almost CGI look to it but appears most definitely drawn or painted which is really impressive.

That is extremely cool. It has an almost CGI look to it but appears most definitely drawn or painted which is really impressive.

Yeah my friend has always been crazy talented. We used to draw comics together when we were little :)

I'm glad you like it!

Yeah my friend has always been crazy talented. We used to draw comics together when we were little :)

I'm glad you like it!

Yes, that is cool! Has he mixed in some photo bashing? Love that technique.

The thing that bugs me about this picture is that it looks like he has only one arm.

I’m pretty sure the other arm is just hidden by the body, but with a slight change of the angle of the viewer, or by a slight change in body position, both arms would be clearly visible.

But maybe that’s just me.

The thing that bugs me about this picture is that it looks like he has only one arm.

I’m pretty sure the other arm is just hidden by the body, but with a slight change of the angle of the viewer, or by a slight change in body position, both arms would be clearly visible.

But maybe that’s just me.

You can clearly see his thumb and the Lightsabre end there. And his shoulder is there. :)

but yeah, didn't notice anything like that in the picture. I think it's pretty clear where and what position the hand is there.