Homebrew Characters Thread

By Rogue Dakotan, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

It's just for fun (I haven't actually put any on the table yet), but I like brewing up custome characters for Imperial Assault, most of whom are inspired by existing miniatures from Star Wars Miniatures (WOTC) in my collection.

So if you've cooked up any custom character cards share them here!

I figured I'd design characters that are almost 100% guaranteed NOT to be made in this game. So I'm not going to bother with Lando or Bossk etc since we'll certainly see them eventually.

Cad Bane

Scum & Villainy

Hunter

+Evade, Mobile, ~weaken, ~stun ~focus

Dual Wield: Immediately after performing an attack, you may make a second attack. Limit once per round.

Cunning: While defending, apply +1 Block to the defense results for each Evade result.

Health: 8
Speed: 6

Defense: W

Attack: ranged: BY

282017.jpg

Gonk Droid

Scum & Villainy

Droid

+Block

Power Surge : ACTION Choose an adjacent friendly figure who has not yet activated. If that figure performs a RANGED attack this round, he may replace one of his attack dice with a RED die. When attacking, adjacent figures may replace one die in their attack pool with a red die.

Self Destruct: At the end of a round, you may roll 1 red die. Each adjacent figure and object suffers DAMAGE equal to the DAMAGE results. Then you are defeated.

Non-Combatant: You may not attack

Health: 4
Speed: 2
Defense: B
Attack: --

un18.jpg

Edited by RogueLieutenant

Black Sun Vigo

Leader

~: +1 Accuracy, +1 damage

~: Focus

->Dual Wield: Perform 2 (ranged) attacks using a blue die and a yellow die. Each attack must target different figures. Apply -2 accuracy to each attack.

Fear the Boss: Allied [scum] figures within 3 spaces may take one strain to add +~ to their attack results.

Health 8

Speed 5

Defense W

Attack BGY (using both pistols on one target)

You know, I was thinking about starting one of these myself.

Ahsoka Tanno (who is probably in the more likely realm than Cad Bane but I like this concept for her)

Rebel Co-ordinator

Cost: 12

Leader-Force User-Brawler

S: +1d, S: Recover 1, S: Gain 1 movement point

Overload

Assault

Lucky

Health: 12

Speed: 4

Melee Attack: GGY

Nightsister Huntress (Elite version will be added in the future):

Cost: 6/3

Group Size: 2

Hunter

S: +1 acc, +1d, S: Bleed

Sadism: When attacking a target with 1 or more harmful conditions add +1d to the attack results.

Health: 4

Speed: 5

Ranged Attack: GG

Edit: Reduce huntress health by 1 as the felt they were a bit beefy.

Edited by Norgrath

I like the idea of using surges to get an extra movement point. :D

If we ever get a Rebels expansion Ahsoka will be a must include with that.

Mace Windu will probably never be made for IA, but here is something in the ballpark of what I'd like to see if he were.

Mace Windu

16 pts (Rebel?)

Brawler, Force User

Main Stats:

Health: 15

Defense: White Black

Attack: Red Green Yellow

Surge Abilities:

1 Block

Pierce 3

~+2 Dmg

~Weaken

Special Abilities:

Assault: You can perform multiple attacks each activation

Shattering Blow: When you declare an attack, you may discard 1 Command card from your hand to choose and remove 1 die from the target's defense pool.

A purely offensive beast. Shattering Blow is meant to represent his Shatterpoint thing in the books; it's also a really cool ability that I figured would work well with Assault.

Rancor

Brawler, Creature

Massive, ~Stun & weaken, ~+3 Damage, Reach

<Special Action> Brutality

<Special Action> Grapple: Choose one adjacent small hostile figure. That figure cannot voluntarily leave it's space. The next time you move, the figure is dropped and suffers two damage and two strain. Otherwise, it must hit with an attack against you to escape. You may attack a figure that is grappled.

Frightening Presence: When enemy figures enter a space within 2 spaces of you, the movement point cost is +1.

HP: 16 Defense:BB Attack: RRY

Command Card:
Feast
Any Creature
Cost 2, limit 1

After you perform an attack that defeats an enemy figure, you may Recover 4.

Edited by Engine25

Gamorrean Warrior

Brawler, Guardian

Cost 8 Reinforcement Cost 4

2 Figures

Brawler

~:Bleed ~:Focus

Protector

HP: 7, Speed 4, Defense: B, Attack: RY

Gamorrean Warrior

Brawler

Cost 12 Reinforcement Cost 6

2 Figures

Brawler, Guardian

Bleed, Pierce 2, ~:Cleave 1, ~:Focus

Protector

Brothers in Arms: When an enemy figure declares you as the target of an attack, another figure in your group within 3 spaces of you or the attacker may interrupt to move 3 spaces and perform an attack against that figure.

HP: 10, Speed 4, Defense: B, Attack: RY

Kind of a scummy take on the royal guard

Edited by Engine25

Phase III Dark Trooper

Empire

Droid - Heavy Weapon

Massive, Blast 1 Damage, ~stun, ~Pierce 2 ~2Damage

Epic Arsenal: Your attack pool consists of any combination of 3 attack dice. You may not roll more than 2 dice of a single color.

Shock Armor: When defending, if the attacker is within 2 spaces, apply +1Block to your defense.

Health: 14

Defense: BB

Attack: Ranged: ???

30725.jpg

Phase 0 Dark Trooper

Empire

Trooper

Blast 1 Damage, ~Stun, ~Weaken, +2Accuracy

Arc Caster: Enemies effected by your blast damage, are also effected by any surge effects you applied to the attack.

ACTION: Jump Jets: Place your figure in an empty space within 5 spaces.

Health: 6

Speed 4:

Attack: Ranged GY

fo31.jpg

edited to add accuracy

Mara Jade - Emperor's Hand

Empire

Spy

Force User

Brawler

13 deployment cost

3Rvo5jg.jpg

-:Focus, -: +2 damage, -: +2 movement points

Strike from the Shadows: Whenever this figure declares a melee attack, if the defending figure did not have line of sight to this figure at the beginning of activation, remove 1 die from the defending figure's defense pool.

Blaster: Perform a ranged attack using 1 blue and 1 yellow die.

Foresight: While defending, you may reroll 1 defense die.

Health: 10

Speed: 6

Attack: melee RGY

(EDITED: Removed 3 health, reduced threat cost by 2.Replaced Lucky with Foresight.)

Edited by patrickmahan

I'm gonna give some feedback here as I think it's an important part of design (hope no-one minds):

General:

• Cost things, it gives a good indication of where you’re heading with a character, worst case some arsehole like me tells you they’re too strong/too weak.
  • It might be awkward but having abilities with different names but the same effect is not a good thing, consider changing them slightly.

Cad Bane:

• Free evade with cunning is too much for someone who otherwise looks in the 7-ish range.
  • Dual wield with a weak attack is cool.

Gonk Droid:

• I like the explosion on death but I don’t see it triggering on purpose.
  • A passive buff might be better than an action since you’re so slow.

Black Sun Vigo:

• The accuracy on dual wield is too painful; it can easily leave you missing adjacent enemies.
  • I don’t like strain as a cost except for heroes, maybe buff him in other areas to increase his cost (to maybe 10).

Mace Windu:

• With three attack die and shatterpoint pierce 3 base seems nonsensical, I don’t like it even if it’s meant to need a surge.
  • Assault is a bit awkward given that he’s melee and has no way to move and attack.
  • You call him purely offensive but he’s tankier than anyone save Vader (that’s not inherently a problem).

Rancor:

• Is the skin of a rancor so tough to have that many defense die? Possibly more health and drop one? Oh right, Grapple.
  • How fast do you want it to be?
  • The wording of Grapple needs to be deal damage not hit.
  • Grapple feels like it needs the complexity of an RPG to really work.

Gammerorean Guards:

• I love brothers in arms but it can cause issues with LOS (this may have been your intent but I don’t like it), I’d rather it happen after the attack resolves.
  • Cleave 1 is meh. At 12 points they can easily have 2.
  • The regular versions feel terrible when compared to Royal guards, give them brothers in arms and make them 10 maybe.

Phase III Dark Trooper:

• Are these guys really big enough for Massive? The ones in Force Unleashed certainly aren’t but I don’t remember what phase they were.
  • Without bonus accuracy or good surges I think these guys are using RRB virtually every attack.

Phase 0 Dark Trooper:

• These guys desperately need accuracy, as it is they won’t be able to reliably shoot anyone non-adjacent and with blast that’s awful.

Mara Jade:

• I’d like her to be cheaper and weaker to emphasise Strike from the Shadows and her nature as an assassin.

that's some awesome feedback! Thanks Norgrath!

I'm gonna give some feedback here as I think it's an important part of design (hope no-one minds):

Rancor:

• Is the skin of a rancor so tough to have that many defense die? Possibly more health and drop one? Oh right, Grapple.
  • How fast do you want it to be?
  • The wording of Grapple needs to be deal damage not hit.
  • Grapple feels like it needs the complexity of an RPG to really work.

Grapple is too complicated and should be removed. 1 surge for weaken and stun is too much. Give him -:cleave 2 and remove stun and weaken, a Rancor doesn't play with his food. 1 surge for +3 damage is too much, make it -:+2 damage.

Remove frightening presence, if Darth Vader doesn't scare people I don't think a rancor would. Plus it makes it too difficult for melee figures who would already be at a huge disadvantage against the rancor. Remove 1 black dice and set its hp to 18. Also, give it stampede and replace Brutality with Trample. Give it 4 speed, the idea is that the Rancor can really mess stuff up in melee, especially in a group of enemy figures, so to counter the rancor you have to run and gun.. Give it a cost of 14, the same as an AT-ST and a melee focused alternative to it.

Phase III Dark Trooper:

• Are these guys really big enough for Massive? The ones in Force Unleashed certainly aren’t but I don’t remember what phase they were.
  • Without bonus accuracy or good surges I think these guys are using RRB virtually every attack.

The dark troopers from Force Unleash are an alternative Phase 2. There were only 1 to 3 Phase 3 dark troopers in existence, therefore I'd make it a unique villain card. Phase 3 Dark troopers aren't big enough for massive they are only 2.8 meters in height, at most they'd take up 4 tiles. The Dark trooper phase 3 has rockets and grenade launchers, I'd give him blast 3 at the cost of 2 surges. Try to keep only 4 innate and surge abilities per figure, as the game currently has it. I would get rid of the stun surge in place of an auto +2 accuracy. Stun plus blast would be far too game changing. Give it the targeting computer ability from the at-st and probe droid. Make it's cost at 16 and boost its hp to 15. Phase 3's were incredibly expensive to make, this also makes it a more solo alternative to General Weiss who is more group focused.

Phase 0 Dark Trooper:

• These guys desperately need accuracy, as it is they won’t be able to reliably shoot anyone non-adjacent and with blast that’s awful.

Make blast 1 automatic and give them BG with -:pierce 1 and -:+2 accuracy. Remove stun and weaken and arc caster. Make them cost 6 and have 5 health. This is all for regular deployment card.

Mara Jade:

• I’d like her to be cheaper and weaker to emphasise Strike from the Shadows and her nature as an assassin.

The idea is that she is an alternative to Royal Guard Champion. The RGC is more targeted to be a villian that gets in the heat of battle and stays there with his better armor and brutality, and not to mention Executor. Mara Jade is a villian more focused on single target hit and run attacks. But perhaps I do need to make Strike from the Shadows more mandatory than just a bonus.

EDIT: I've changed her a little. She is now a hit and run alternative to Boba Fett. Instead of nerfing her attack to make strike from the shadows mandatory, I instead nerfed her HP to make hit and run tactics more about survival. I was considering mobile, but decided that would make catching up to her too difficult.

Edited by patrickmahan

Vader doesn't have a Droid trait and he is also a cyborg.

When I end up playing with the Phase III it's going to be with the old WOTC mini, which take sup four spaces.

For phase 0, I figured jump jets matched his movement in BF2 better, since it's sort of a one blast jump and then you have to wait for it to recharge. so you couldn't use it twice in a row in one turn.

Vader doesn't have a Droid trait and he is also a cyborg.

When I end up playing with the Phase III it's going to be with the old WOTC mini, which take sup four spaces.

For phase 0, I figured jump jets matched his movement in BF2 better, since it's sort of a one blast jump and then you have to wait for it to recharge. so you couldn't use it twice in a row in one turn.

Fair enough. You should still remove stun and weaken though, AoE stun and weaken is far too OP for a 'cheap' unit.

Edited by patrickmahan

Bossk

Deployment Cost: 12

Defence: 1 Black Die

Movement: 4

HP: 12

Attack: Blue Green Yellow

Abilities

Ferocious(variation of relentless): When attacking a figure within 3 spaces, that figure suffers two strain.

One Step ahead: Units with Staggered are not allowed to use abilities.

Surge 1: +1 damage

Surge 2: Recover 2

Surge 3: Stagger

Automatic +2 Accuracy

Well, what do you think?

Edited version

Stagger: This figure cannot use surge abilities. ACTION: Discard this condition.

Edited by HK47

Aurra Sing

Cost: 12

Defence: One Black Die

Attack: Blue Blue Red

Surge 1: +2 Damage

Surge 2: Pierce 1

Surge 3: +1 Strain

Forsight: You may reroll one Defence die.

Counter attack: When attacked in melee, after that attack was resolved, perform an attack with 1 red die.

Priority Target: You can trace line of sight through figures.

Give me your thoughts in the comments below!

Note: Edited version

Edited by HK47

Scout Troopers (X2) (Nonelite)

Cost: 6

Health: 5

Attack: Blue Blue/Red Yellow

Auto +1 Accuracy

Surge 1: +1 damage

Surge 2: Pierce 1

Surge 3: Recover 1

Combat Knife: When in melee, attack using the second set of dice.

Scout Troopers (X2) (Elite)

Cost: 9

Health: 6

Attack: Blue Blue/ Red Green

Auto +3 Accuracy

Surge 1: +2 damage

Surge 2: Pierce 2

Surge 3: Recover 2

Ultrafine Combat Knife: When in melee, attack using the second set of dice.

Camoflage: If you are 4 or more spaces away, Enemy figures cannot trace line of sight to you.

Edited by HK47

Bossk:

• You still can't track the source of strain, possibly give him a new condition (staggered maybe) in place of his strain surge.
  • His DPT is pretty bad, I'd say just give him BGY attack dice and shuffle some stuff around.

Aura Sing:

• I don't know why she has all this melee defense stuff.
  • She could honestly cost less and do more damage and still be fine.
  • Speed?

Scout Troopers:

• Why do they have blast, extra accuracy and habitat: Forest? Only one of these things makes sense and it's not necessary.
  • Aren't there multiple grenade command cards and abilities? I don't like it on these guys, especially not one this reliable.
  • As an alternate ability maybe give them a knife ability (green die damage to someone adjacent) and 5 speed so they can either snipe or stab.

Elite Nightsister Huntress

9/5

Group Size: 2

Hunter

S: +2 acc, +2d, s: Bleed

Sadism

Night Blinding: Targets with harmful status do not have line of sight to you, you do not block line of sight for these figures.

Health: 7

Ranged Attack: GG

I'm not sure Night Blinding is at all fair but I thought it was interesting.

Concept for a Gen'dai Villain (Campaign/Skirmish Versions):

Cost: 8 (it's this low because of the downside to battle madness)

Hunter, Brawler

+1 Acc, S: +2d, S: Pierce 1, bleed

Regenerate: When this figure activates you may (spend 2 threat/discard one command card from the top of your deck) for him to recover 2D.

Battle Madness: After you resolve an attack, if the target figure was defeated, you become focused. At the end of your activation, if you did not perform an attack, you become stunned.

Ranged Attack: GR

Thanks for the feedback Norgath! How about these Edited versions?

I posted my version of the Phase 0 Dark Troopers a few months back:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/138107-jump-troopers-custom-unit-battlefront-ii-dark-troopers

My designs are really squishy and more disposable. They hit hard but have little health.

I'd increase the regular deployment card to 6 threat. That makes them equal to a stormtrooper squad which are much more abundant. Hence why you get 3 stormtroopers and only 2 dark troopers. Consider giving them a weak +1 accuracy surge option on the regular and elite, in game the lightning did become longer the more you charged it up.

- Imperial Sentinel

(Unique Villain)

Empire

Guardian

Brawler

12 deployment cost

T6l2t4Q.jpg

+1 block +1 anti-surge, reach, -cleave 2, -pierce 2

Imposing: Non-friendly figures may not pass-through this figure.

Protector: While a friendly figure is defending, and you are adjacent to the targeted space, apply +1 block to the defense results. Limit 1 "Protector" ability used per attack.

Foresight: While defending, you may reroll 1 defense die.

Health: 18

Speed: 3

Attack: melee RY

Edited by patrickmahan

Thanks for the feedback Norgath! How about these Edited versions?

I still don't think any of these guys need auto accuracy. Also the knife works better as a special action ala Luke's saber strike. Other than that it's good (imo anyway).