XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

By FTS Gecko, in X-Wing

Yeah, heavy rockets benefited greatly from a high speed carrier like the missile boat or defended because they carried some of that speed over when launched but slowed (in space, somehow) after launching. I blew up lots of big ships with heavy rockets and even the big slow space bombs by unloading them at their door step at full throttle. Fun times. I miss being able to edit that game and make totally new missions, I haven't figured out if that's possible in the GOG version yet.

It is.

The only real difference is a couple of mission bugs (attack on koensayr factory in XVT as the imperials is incompletable) and different default install directory.

Speaking of which: has anyone been able to beat the attack on koensayr factory in GOG XvT???

The one where you have to protect 3 assault trans against waves of Z-95s, but they never actually dock?

Edited by DariusAPB

The biggest problem with the Xg-1 Starwing is the name.

If it were the TIE Starwing. . .

The biggest problem with the Xg-1 Starwing is the name.

If it were the TIE Starwing. . .

While Sienar were grandiloquent with their names (Avenger, Defender, Hunter, Punisher, Phantom...), Cygnus were quite literal with their "it has what it says in the can"-names. Lambda(-shaped) shuttle, Gun boat, Missile boat, Delta(-shaped) Shuttle, etc.

Even though it was created much later, the TIE Hunter pretty much does everything the Gunboat does. Shields, hyperdrive, 2 lasers, 2 ions, warhead launchers. It even has S-Foils.

Only real difference is that the Hunter carries torpedoes, instead of a ton of missiles.

The TIE Hunter would most likely have a 5 straight while the fastest the Gunboat can go is a red 4. Plus I bet the Hunter would get boost and BR. Basically an interceptor with a canon spot and 2 attack. Those Pointy s-foils make no sense, they don't even close all the way!

If I was in charge of remaking Star Wars: TIE Fighter, I would totally replace the Gunboat with the TIE Hunter, and the Missile Boat with the TIE Oppressor.

Edited by DarthEnderX

If I was in charge of remaking Star Wars: TIE Fighter, I would totally replaces the Gunboat with the TIE Hunter, and the Missile Boat with the TIE Oppressor.

I think I just puked in my mouth.

And were did the Clawcraft appear?

The Hand of Thrawn books. So like 20 years after Yavin. And it's not even really an Imperial ship.

OMG I will say this once more, but you are getting annoying: IT'S NOT A BLOODY IMP SHIP! IT'S S&V

Only real difference is that the Hunter carries torpedoes, instead of a ton of missiles.

And that the xg1 starwing gunboat it's MUCH cooler than a TIE

I would sell my soul to the dark side for a assault gunboat and missile boat lol would bring back so many good tie fighter memories

The Hand of Thrawn books. So like 20 years after Yavin. And it's not even really an Imperial ship.

OMG I will say this once more, but you are getting annoying: IT'S NOT A BLOODY IMP SHIP! IT'S S&V

In this case I predict for X-Wing it will released ...................... never?

In this case I predict for X-Wing it will released ...................... never?

Funny I can say the same thing for the Gunboat........

the designers have already mentioned the gunboat as being a good candidate for a future wave...

You are funny

You are funny

I'm not sure with what tone you're making that statement.

It could also carry heavy rockets (probably what Proton Rockets are supposed to be) space bombs (maybe proton bombs)

The basic 4 warheads types in TIE Fighter were all pretty much the same. Each one was just slower, but dealt more damage than the previous one. Missiles>Torpedoes>Rockets>Bombs.

So the Space Bombs were just like REALLY slow, REALLY powerful Missiles.

Whereas, this game's Proton Rockets seem like a dumb fire weapon. Since they don't require a lockon, and do more damage the more maneuverable your ship is.

The bombs eventually stopped. Actually... I don't think they waited that long to stop.

I remember playing a couple missions where you're supposed to attack a space station and I'd bring bombs. Launch them about 13 clicks out and then go dogfighting. And then wonder where my bombs were and why the space station was still at 100%. Eventually, I played around with the simulator a bit and found that the bombs just stopped a short distance away from where you deploy them. And then eventually their failsafe cuts in and they blow up. I do think that I blew up or badly damaged a pursuing fighter one time by deploying a pair of bombs and then zooming on ahead.

I think I just puked in my mouth.

I think *I* just puked in your mouth.

And that the xg1 starwing gunboat it's MUCH cooler than a TIE

Nothing is cooler than a TIE.

Sienar, when comissioned to design a small fighter with lasers, ions, missiles, shields and hyperdrive, gave us the Tie Defender.

Cygnus, when given the same comission, gave us the Gunboat.

They're practically sister ships.

Sienar, when comissioned to design a small fighter with lasers, ions, missiles, shields and hyperdrive, gave us the Tie Defender.

So the TIE Defender is the F-22 and the Gunboat is the F/A-18E/F?

:P

If I was in charge of remaking Star Wars: TIE Fighter, I would totally replace the Gunboat with the TIE Hunter, and the Missile Boat with the TIE Oppressor.

Probably we all have nostalgic reasons to prefer an EU ship over others. In my case, my best gaming memories come from the X-Wing and TIE Fighter sims, where the Assault Gunboat was prominent.

However, without wanting to make you feel attacked, that statement of yours makes no sense.

In the TIE Fighter storyline, traitor Grand Admiral Zaarin was in charge of the development of future superfighters for the Empire. He controlled the design teams and operations of Sienar Fleet Systems. He had so much power over Sienar, that once he had control over most of Sienar's TIE Defender factories, he sabotaged the rest of the Empire's TIE Avenger production facilities, depriving the Emperor from having a superfighter that could come close to his (and by the way giving a convenient in-lore explanation of why no TIE Avenger was seen at all in the Battle of Endor).

Instead of throwing everything in their hands against Zaarin, as was all the plan of Palpatine and Vader could think of, it was vice admiral Thrawn who had the idea of using a competing contractor of Sienar, Cygnus Spaceworks, to secretly develop a superfighter that would specifically counter the TIE Defender.

That is why the TIE Hunter and TIE Oppressor would make absolutely no sense in all of this.

The TIE Oppressor was barely a rival for rebel fighters like the X-Wing or A-Wing. One TIE Defender would eat a whole squadron of TIE Oppressors for breakfast. Even if it had proven a rival, Zaarin would have arranged them wiped out, as he did with the TIE Avengers, as he has almost absolute control over Sienar.

The TIE Hunter was a X-Wing-wannabe with ion cannons. I don't know the rationale behind it's design, but I find it atrocious. Not only it looks like a partially disassembled TIE Interceptor; it makes no sense that in a reduced fuselage compared to an ordinary TIE Fighter, they managed to squish in ion cannons, proton torpedoes, hyperdrive, and shield generator. Where? Look at it! The TIE Advanced needed that extra flat piece of fuselage behind the main cockpit to make room the shields, hyperdrive and warhead launchers. And on top of that, the TIE Hunter is listed as the fastest TIE. Of course, why not!

The Oppressor and the Hunter are clearly two examples of those ships that make no sense at all, have no purpose, but are there because of "cool".

That doesn't mean they are equivalent.

The TIE Defender is a superexpensive, superfast, super overpowered superfighter.

The Starwing is, from the creators of the alabaster spacecow, the obsidian spacegoat!

Edited by Azrapse

In my case, my best gaming memories come from the X-Wing and TIE Fighter sims, where the Assault Gunboat was prominent.

Mine too. But even at the time I thought the Gunboat and Missile Boat were thematically unsuited to the game.

develop a superfighter that would specifically counter the TIE Defender.

Which it does by holding them with a Tractor Beam while shooting lots of Advanced Concussion Missiles at them. Something the Oppressor could easily do.

The TIE Hunter was a X-Wing-wannabe with ion cannons

Well, considering the only reason the Gunboat was even in the game was so you'd have something to disable ships with, that's really the only thing it needs to be a suitable replacement. It just also happens to have everything ELSE that made the ship unique as well.

it makes no sense that in a reduced fuselage compared to an ordinary TIE Fighter, they managed to squish in ion cannons, proton torpedoes, hyperdrive, and shield generator. Where? Look at it!

This argument might have some merit if you weren't simultaneously defending the Missile Boat, which by no stretch of the imagination should be able to carry EIGHTY missiles on a fighter that size.

The Oppressor and the Hunter are clearly two examples of those ships that make no sense at all, have no purpose, but are there because of "cool".

They only serve no purpose BECAUSE those other two ships are there. Without the Gunboat and Missile Boat they serve the exact SAME purposes those other ships do. The Hunter as the ship with shields, hyperdrive and ion cannons. The Oppressor as the ship that carries a bunch of missiles.

Edited by DarthEnderX

Give the TIE Avenger chin-mounted ion cannons. Bam! Problem solved.

Apart from the lack of a Starwing.

In my case, my best gaming memories come from the X-Wing and TIE Fighter sims, where the Assault Gunboat was prominent.

Mine too. But even at the time I thought the Gunboat and Missile Boat were thematically unsuited to the game.

I don't see why the Gunboat is thematically unsuited. The Empire didn't only use a single contractor. The star destroyers are from Kuat, the disposable swarmy fighter from Sienar, the shuttles from Cygnus, the stormtrooper transports are from other manufacturers. It feels boring if there is a TIE Everything for every role the Empire needs to fulfill. And even more when the TIE ship designs start to become silly.

it makes no sense that in a reduced fuselage compared to an ordinary TIE Fighter, they managed to squish in ion cannons, proton torpedoes, hyperdrive, and shield generator. Where? Look at it!

This argument might have some merit if you weren't simultaneously defending the Missile Boat, which by no stretch of the imagination should be able to carry EIGHTY missiles on a fighter that size.

The Missile Boat in undefensible. It is clearly a god mode ship to have fun pushing the limits of the game engine. The Missileboat-killer would have been what? A mini Death Star? If the Missile Boat ever reaches this game, I hope it is in its final waves, and as an Epic only ship. Even better if it doesn't ever come to this game, because the Missile Boat was no longer about dogfighting, but more like a game of laser-tag followed by an insta-kill.

They only serve no purpose BECAUSE those other two ships are there. Without the Gunboat and Missile Boat they serve the exact SAME purposes those other ships do. The Hunter as the ship with shields, hyperdrive and ion cannons. The Oppressor as the ship that carries a bunch of missiles.

The TIE Hunter is stepped over by the TIE Defender. Fast, shielded, 4 lasers, 2 ions, dogfighter. They fill exactly the same role. The Gunboat is not that at all, but a slow, sturdy, unexpensive craft. It's supposed to be a mix between an Y-Wing and a Lambda Shuttle. That is nothing at all like the TIE Hunter.

In general, I think ordnance doesn't fit this game in its 100 deathmatch usual gameplay. And I think it's a good thing.

Dogfighting has more gameplay depth than locking a ship from kilometers away and sending them missiles until it pops. For me that was clear in XvT, where the whole game was about missile spamming, and you needed to have multiple craft per pilot, with multiple respawns, with chaff and flares, for the game to be even half fun. In X-Wing and TIE Fighter you had 1 craft and 1 life, no chaff or flares, and they were awesome. If FFG isn't fixing ordnance is because there is nothing to fix. Make ordnance more powerful, and the whole game will turn into missile spamming.

Edited by Azrapse

The TIE Hunter is stepped over by the TIE Defender. Fast, shielded, 4 lasers, 2 ions, dogfighter.\

Sure, but that rightly isn't introduced until late in the game.

Until then, you need something to capture enemy ships with. And that something needs to have solar panels and ion engines in an amount found between 1 and 3.

I have preferred to see a gunboat over *anything* the next wave has to offer.

Its got a good background in the star wars universe, its right for the era and have visual/aesthetic ties with the lambda.

I personally think it is a crying shame we've not had it yet.