XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

By FTS Gecko, in X-Wing

I really wanted this ship instead of the punisher. they seem to fit the same role a lot. I think the op got things right in the initial post. it's not overpowered or undercosted. The dial seems about right to me too. should fly like a y-wing. I think 2 agility with 7-8 total hull points is probably too good, and I think 1 agility feels right. I'd give it 2 missle slots and 2 torp slots in the hope that we will have some good ordnance 1 day. I like the Idea of a BTL-like title as well, though it might be OP with mangler or HLC.

Like the punisher, it's strength should really be in it's payload, so like the bomber and the punisher, it's a ship that is really waiting for good ordnance to fire. Love the ship, really hope we see it. I think bringing out the punisher over this was a mistake, and I think the two compete for the same role with the bomber.

Kudos to the OP for striking a good balance from the beginning.

The Gunboat's a Y-wing-like strike craft and the TIE punisher's a heavy bomber like the K-wing. Not really the same role.

I think the red 2-hard turns are a bit much; it's not supposed to be worse than the Y-Wing, but a compromise between Y-Wing slowness with X-Wing maneuverability. Those should be white. 3-banks and 3-hards should be red. I'd give it a red 4-forward and a red 5-k-turn. I wish FFG would have made SLAM do something differently--perhaps something closer to what it actually is--so that it would make sense to have it on the ship it was supposed to actually go on (granted, it made its debut with the Missile Boat but I hope we don't see that ship in this game, especially since we have the TIE Revolver in this role).

So, in lieu of a proper SLAM, I'd give it some kind of tractor beam. Something akin to, "When you declare an attack, if the defender has 4 hull or less, you may receive 1 stress to cause the defender to suffer 1 stress and reduce the defender's agility by 1 for the rest of the round." Perhaps it'll be an upgrade for a new slot that comes with the Gunboat, so it'll cost 3 points or so. You could also include an upgrade that puts on a Jamming Beam ("As long as you maintain a target lock on an enemy ship, that ship cannot perform actions listed on their action bar." perhaps 5 points, or else dumb it down by limiting its range) or a Pressor Field Beam ("Action: Choose one friendly or enemy ship with hull 4 or less in your firing arc at Range 1-2. You may force that ship to perform a barrel roll as a manuever in a direction away from this ship. Then receive 1 stress and roll an attack die. On a [hit], suffer 1 damage.") Might be OP, but is limited by range, firing arc, and can be adjusted in its point cost. Imagine the possibilities...

I like the vital stats of your proposal here, Gecko. I would likely change one missile icon for a torpedo icon instead (since we know they could carry either), but I think the rest is pretty reasonable. The cost might be a smidge low. I suspect they would come in at 21 or 22 points instead in this configuration.

If they do ever print the Gunboat, I think it would be the perfect time to add in the tractor beam weapon as a modification of some kind (usable by the Gunboat, Defender, and Avenger, of course).

I would likely change one missile icon for a torpedo icon instead (since we know they could carry either)

That's because in the game that introduced it, anything could carry any warhead it wanted.

But that's now how this game works. This game adheres more towards a ships standard loadout. And for the Assault Gunboat, that's only missiles.

Two missile slots is appropriate.

Edited by DarthEnderX

I would likely change one missile icon for a torpedo icon instead (since we know they could carry either)

That's because in the game that introduced it, anything could carry any warhead it wanted.

But that's now how this game works. This game adheres more towards a ships standard loadout. And for the Assault Gunboat, that's only missiles.

Yeah, missiles make more sense lore-wise, but without a Torpedo slot it can't take Extra Munitions. I think Extra Munitions paired with Concussion Missiles and Munitions Failsafe sounds pretty good to me.

I really wanted this ship instead of the punisher. they seem to fit the same role a lot. I think the op got things right in the initial post. it's not overpowered or undercosted. The dial seems about right to me too. should fly like a y-wing. I think 2 agility with 7-8 total hull points is probably too good, and I think 1 agility feels right. I'd give it 2 missle slots and 2 torp slots in the hope that we will have some good ordnance 1 day. I like the Idea of a BTL-like title as well, though it might be OP with mangler or HLC.

Like the punisher, it's strength should really be in it's payload, so like the bomber and the punisher, it's a ship that is really waiting for good ordnance to fire. Love the ship, really hope we see it. I think bringing out the punisher over this was a mistake, and I think the two compete for the same role with the bomber.

Kudos to the OP for striking a good balance from the beginning.

Thanks, but I'm having a real hard time justfying the Cannon Upgrade slot. Haviong an Ion slot makes sense thematically & canonically, but Mangler/HLC/Autoblasters etc doesn't. It's loadout was pretty standard - two laser cannons, two ion cannons. I'm not 100% sold on the Systems Upgrade slot, either, although that's much less of an issue.

The Y-Wing's BTL-A4 title opens up the possibilities though. A similar upgrade card (Modification? Title?) that lets you perform a second, 2 dice Ion attack IF your first attack hits might fill the spot perfectly.

Now you could make that ability a Gunboat only Title, but technically you could use it as a universal Modification - something like If you have an Ion Cannon equipped, you may make a Secondary Weapon attack following a successful Primary Weapon attack, opening the ability up to Defenders, B-Wings, Lambdas, Firesprays, (non-Outrider) YT-2400's... Aggressors... but would that be too powerful (especially if it was available to the ships with Systems Upgrade slots?)

Or you could make the ability a Systems Upgrade - (Linked Fire System) - again, useful and fluffy for B-Wings, Lambdas, Aggressors, and would prevent combining it with Fire Control Systems...

....and I'm off on a tangent.

Yeah, missiles make more sense lore-wise, but without a Torpedo slot it can't take Extra Munitions. I think Extra Munitions paired with Concussion Missiles and Munitions Failsafe sounds pretty good to me.

To be honest, that sounds like the kind of load out a Missile Boat would enjoy. SLAM action, Systems Upgrade slot (with Tractor Beam System), two Missile Slots and two Torpedo slots. Things go boom.

Edited by FTS Gecko

Extra munitions not being a Modification was a huge miss, IMO.

Extra munitions not being a Modification was a huge miss, IMO.

Not having the option to run both Extra Munitions and Munitions Failsafe would be a mistake. Neither of them is really that amazing but together they can keep you using munitions a majority of the game and that's a good thing.

Thanks, but I'm having a real hard time justfying the Cannon Upgrade slot. Haviong an Ion slot makes sense thematically & canonically, but Mangler/HLC/Autoblasters etc doesn't. It's loadout was pretty standard - two laser cannons, two ion cannons. .

Yeah, but that's not really your problem.

Those other cannons don't make any more sense on the Defender either, but it can still take them.

FFG decided to do Ion Cannons that way, it's their problem.

It is if I'm attempting to homebrew rules, like on page 1 of the thread ;)

Edited by FTS Gecko

It is if I'm attempting to homebrew rules, like on page 1 of the thread ;)

Because of the way X-Wing upgrades work, a cannon slot makes the most sense.

Just give it three missile slots and one torpedo slot. It was nicknamed the missile boat, after-all, and the model sports huge missile racks... this way it'll be the best missile platform available, while still leaving the TIE Bomber a niche (torpedoes).

I definitely agree on attack 2 and defense 2. Ion cannons are a must, so the cannon option is fine.

She shouldn't be as sturdy as the B-Wing, however... perhaps 3 hull and 3 shields? This would make the Lambda a better HLC platform, and wouldn't make the TIE Bomber look too ugly at the comparison.

Such a ship (3 hull, 3 shields, 2 dodge) would look a bit like an X-Wing with stronger shields, but focused on missiles.

I think 7 total HP is too much for the gunboat, I think 3/3 is more accurate - it was only slightly beefier than the xwing. Also, imo the in-game niche of the Assault Gunboat would be a cheap cannon platform, therefore the generic shouldn't cost more than 18 imo so you could field 4 with HLC.

Also, in the video game, it was relatively maneuverable - better than the ywing anyway.

Gunboat:

2/1/4/4

Actions: Target Lock, Focus, SLAM, Tractor Beam

Upgrades, Missiles, Torpedoes, System, Cannon

Tractor Beam action:

... ehm ....

How about if ....

... nevermind

Well, in Star Wars: TIE Fighter, the Tractor Beam kinda worked the way being Ioned works in this game. i.e. the target can only flight straight.

And then the Jamming Beam made it so the ship you used the beam on couldn't shoot at you with Turrets. So it would be, like, uh, "Targeted ship can't fire at your ship from outside of it's front arc" or something like that.

Edited by DarthEnderX

Gunboat:

2/1/4/4

Actions: Target Lock, Focus, SLAM, Tractor Beam

Upgrades, Missiles, Torpedoes, System, Cannon

Tractor Beam action:

... ehm ....

How about if ....

... nevermind

Did the Assault Gunboat have the SLAM drive and Tractor Beam anyway? I thought it was the Missile Boat that had the SLAM drive, and the TIE Advanced and (original) Defender that had the Tractor Beam.

In the gmes all the starfighter Tractor Beam did really was make it easier to get a bead on your targetted ship. Maybe it could work as a Sytems Upgrade in a similar way to Latts Razzi and the TIE Advanced Advence Targetting Computer - so long as you maintain a target lock on an enemy ship, that ship's Defence Dice are reduced by one

Did the Assault Gunboat have the SLAM drive and Tractor Beam anyway? I thought it was the Missile Boat that had the SLAM drive, and the TIE Advanced and (original) Defender that had the Tractor Beam.

The Missile Boat was the ship with the SLAM drive, yes.

As for the beams, I believe they become available as the campaign progresses, and once they do, you can put them onto any ship that you fly.

I think though, that you don't fly the Assault Gunboat at any point after unlocking the Tractor Beam, so you never have the chance to use it on a Gunboat. I could be misremembering though.

Ah yes it was the Missileboat with the SLAM.

Funny enough that the SLAM now is 'rebel'.

If the Gunboat don't get a tractor beam in any way then we'll never see beams in X-Wing.

Edited by TheRealStarkiller

I was quite surprised that the Raider didn't get some kind of tractor beam action mechanic. The Empire's capital ships are pretty well known for them...

Extra Munitions are fine in the torpedo slot: makes sure only dedicated bombers can field them.

They should make an Extra Munition for the missile slot too, however.

I was quite surprised that the Raider didn't get some kind of tractor beam action mechanic. The Empire's capital ships are pretty well known for them...

I think FFG has been trying to get tractor beams to work but they haven't found the right mechanic yet. It would have to be different enough from ion tokens, but possibly not through a secondary weapon. What would 'tractor tokens' do to a ship? Force a white stop maneuver? How long would the tractor last? As long as the huge ship keeps using energy to sustain it? Could the Huge ship 'pull' the target ship closer using the one straight (or other) template, and would it take an action? Things can get complicated quick, and we haven't touched on if the ship that is caught can still attack, use action, or attempt to break free of the beam.

Definately a step or two a away from the fast passed nature of the game now.

The traktor beams of small ships work different then the capital ship ones

Well, the Raider doesn't have any kind of hangar to pull tractored ships into.

Indeed. On huge ships, they're for capturing a ship and pull it in.

The starfighter Tractor Beam from SW:TF is more just for slowing other fighters down so they can be easily shot.

A way to do those in this game might be something like " A ship caught in this beam can only select green maneuvers on it's dial".

Edited by DarthEnderX

Well, the Raider doesn't have any kind of hangar to pull tractored ships into.

Indeed. On huge ships, they're for capturing a ship and pull it in.

The starfighter Tractor Beam from SW:TF is more just for slowing other fighters down so they can be easily shot.

A way to do those in this game might be something like " A ship caught in this beam can only select green maneuvers on it's dial".

Or perhaps you could lower the enemy's agility by one for each hit.