XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

By FTS Gecko, in X-Wing

The Hunter is ultra-dumb. It's 'Tie Intercepting-er'. It doesn't fit with the established look and just seems flimsy. Better it be an Avenger, which it basically is identical to anyway (ordinance, 4 lasers, hyperdrive).

Better it be an Avenger, which it basically is identical to anyway (ordinance, 4 lasers, hyperdrive).

TIE Hunters carry Torpedoes, not Missiles. And they have 2 Lasers and 2 Ion Cannons.

they're also irrelevant and extraneous and less interesting than the Assault Gunboat in terms of what they would add to the game.

Well, we'll get both eventually. So I ain't worried about it. Would be nice if Gunboat fans didn't always have to be dicks though.

I like the Tie Oppressor, but it would be not easy to bring its key feature into X-Wing:

The Tie Oppressor could fire 3 Missiles at a timr where all others only could fire 2 at a time (so speaking of Star Wars Galaxies: Jump to Lightspeed)

It had strong shields but max speed and agility was much lower then you would expect from a Tie.

So how you would bring this into the game?

B-Wingish dial with 2 attack and +1 die for all missile types?

Oh and a torp slot of course for Extra Munition.

2/2/3/4

Missile, Torp

Title: +1 die for ordnance

Edit: Double post

Edited by DarthEnderX

Well, given that nothing in XW:TMG can shoot even two missiles at a time, even though they all have two launchers, I don't really think the Oppressor would have the ability to shoot 3.

If they hadn't screwed up the TIE Bomber and made it carry a ridiculous amount of ordinance in the first place, then the Oppressor could have been unique just by having multiple Missile slots.

As it is, it'll just have to settle for that, plus slightly different stats from other ships.

It should have been:

Bomber - 1 Torpedo, 1 Bomb

Punisher - 2 Torpedoes, 2 Bombs

Oppressor - 2 Missiles

Missile Boat - 4 Missiles

Edited by DarthEnderX

Well, given that nothing in XW:TMG can shoot even two missiles at a time, even though they all have two launchers, I don't really think the Oppressor would have the ability to shoot 3.

If they hadn't screwed up the TIE Bomber and made it carry a ridiculous amount of ordinance in the first place, then the Oppressor could have been unique just by having multiple Missile slots.

As it is, it'll just have to settle for that, plus slightly different stats from other ships.

It should have been:

Bomber - 1 Torpedo, 1 Bomb

Punisher - 2 Torpedoes, 2 Bombs

Oppressor - 2 Missiles

Missile Boat - 4 Missiles

If the Oppressir could fire more missiles than other ships, them make a Title for it that allows it to attack twice with missile secondary weapons.

If you look at the cards each missile and torp upgrade actually shows multiple warheads being fired, usually two. I guess that means each attack fires both proton torpedo tubes for x-wings and such.

I would still like to see the A-wing being capable of a Missile Volley Attack that allows you to fire twice (three times) with a missile but at one less attack die. This would represent what the A-wings were doing when they blew up the radar tower of the Executor and brought down he bridge deflector shield. Both of those A-wings shot at least six missiles each in like one second.

Of course you could make the argument that they used cluster missiles and not concussion missiles. Oh well.

I have preferred to see a gunboat over *anything* the next wave has to offer.

Its got a good background in the star wars universe, its right for the era and have visual/aesthetic ties with the lambda.

I personally think it is a crying shame we've not had it yet.

I agree with this, and I humbly request that Gecko post another XG-1 pic on this thread.

Delivered (eventually!)

32.jpg

If I was in charge of remaking Star Wars: TIE Fighter, I would totally replace the Gunboat with the TIE Hunter, and the Missile Boat with the TIE Oppressor.

Gah. Then I'm extremely glad you're not.

There's a metric crapton of reasons that I simply cannot wait to see an FFG Assault Gunboat, most of which have been covered by a multitude of posters in this thread - I love the design and look of the ship, it's extensive and well established history and background fluff, it's capabilities, it's role...

...but one of the things I love most is that it's an Imperial snubfighter, and it's not a TIE.

Don't get me wrong. TIE's are great. I've always liked the TIE Fighter, the Bomber, the Interceptor, the Advanced, Avenger and Defender... but at some point down the road taking a ball cockpit and copy/pasting extra wings, weapons and abilities onto it starts to become a very tired, very uninspiring and very boring way of doing things. The TIE Punisher is very close to jumping the shark, and as much as I want to drop Cluster Bombs with Emon or find out how a Twin Ion Engine card can help out my Defenders, I doubt I'll be getting one because if I want to fly a multi-hulled TIE ordnance carrier, I'll fly the TIE Bombers I bought previously.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - there's much more to the Imperial Navy than Seinar Fleet Systems TIE series. While I can appreciate the Imperial forces having a very distinct look and style in the X-Wing Miniatures Game, there's still some room for aesthetic diversity.

Edited by FTS Gecko

Quick! Somebody name another Imperial starfighter that can take off from and land at rough and unprepared advance airfield sites.

EEENK . Too late.

Gunboats are built to run with Decimators: They have hyperdrives, they have ion cannons (to disable starships so the VT-49s can board them), and they have the ability to land and take off from rough, unprepared landing sites. And they have the speed and maneuverability to drive off or destroy enemy fighters.

The gunboat fills a role that the Empire needs to have filled and it fills a role that no other fighter in Imperial inventory can (except for the missile boat - and the retired ARC-170 and Y-wing).

I have seen several different opinions/references on how many missiles the Assault Gunboat carries form 20 to 80 but shouldnt it be a multiple of 12 considering the 12 tubes on th hull. 24 or 36 is still a respectable number

...There's a metric crapton of reasons that I simply cannot wait to see an FFG Assault Gunboat, most of which have been covered by a multitude of posters in this thread - I love the design and look of the ship...

Don't get me wrong. TIE's are great. I've always liked the TIE Fighter, the Bomber, the Interceptor, the Advanced, Avenger and Defender... but at some point down the road taking a ball cockpit and copy/pasting extra wings, weapons and abilities onto it starts to become a very tired, very uninspiring and very boring way of doing things.

This! +1000

I'm ambivalent about the XG-1, but I'd really like to see a Skipray Blastboat. Aside from being cool-looking and heavily armed, it could legitimately work in all three factions.

Then I'm extremely glad you're not.

Or AM I...?

Quick! Somebody name another Imperial starfighter that can take off from and land at rough and unprepared advance airfield sites.

A. Probably all of them?

B. We have a lot of rough, unprepared advanced airfield sites in this space combat game?

shouldnt it be a multiple of 12 considering the 12 tubes on th hull. 24 or 36 is still a respectable number

Should. But it's not.

Remember, again, that in the game this ship was introduced in, you could load any kind of warheads you wanted into a ships launchers. And it carried different amounts depending on which warhead you chose. But the game model never changed to reflect this.

The "12 tubes" is in line with it's torpedo loadout. Which was 12. But it's standard loadout according to the lore is missile. Of which it could carry 16 in the game.

Edited by DarthEnderX

Personally, I'd rather not have the TIE Hunter. It's even uglier than the K-wing and looks like a 4-year-old's scribblings. Visually, compared to a TIE Interceptor, it's like a stick figure version of a human being. The TIE Oppressor is the same way, except it's more like a little kid was let loose in the model kit box, took a TIE Advanced fuselage, slathered model glue on it, and then rolled it in Star Wars parts. Neither design is anything approaching elegant.

The Assault Gunboat is a sleeker, deadlier version of the Lambda-class and has a stronger design than either the TIE Hunter or the Oppressor. I feared Assault Gunboats, because they had heavy shielding, plenty of weapons, and were very maneuverable despite being slower than an X-wing. And their ion cannons were nothing to sniff at either.

As far as beam weapons, I propose they work like they did in the game. Instead of it being a cannon, it projects a field at range 1-2 that automatically affects anything in your firing arc.

Then I'm extremely glad you're not.

Or AM I...?

A. Probably all of them?

B. We have a lot of rough, unprepared advanced airfield sites in this space combat game?

shouldnt it be a multiple of 12 considering the 12 tubes on th hull. 24 or 36 is still a respectable number

Should. But it's not.

Remember, again, that in the game this ship was introduced in, you could load any kind of warheads you wanted into a ships launchers. And it carried different amounts depending on which warhead you chose. But the game model never changed to reflect this.

The "12 tubes" is in line with it's torpedo loadout. Which was 12. But it's standard loadout according to the lore is missile. Of which it could carry 16 in the game.

I've always been bothered with the dipictions showing the Gunboat with just 6 missiles tubes in each pod. It's always been depicted as such, which means either the gunboats carry torpedoes more frequently than shown in the lore or it only carries 12 missiles. Some early depictions show three or four other missiles/tubes above the cockpit but below the ion cannons. This might be where the missing warheads come from, though that weapons bay is not shown on later pictures.

It's possible the warheads are fired from the top or bottom of the ordinance pods instead of the front, but I think the origisnal intention is for the gunboat to launch missiles out of the front of the pods.

Anyway, two missile upgrade slots is all we need in this game.

A. Probably all of them?

A- How do you land a TIE Interceptor? How do you dismount it? How do you mount it? TIEs pretty much require specialized equipment to recover and launch them. Equipment that is bulky and difficult to transport in the field. Equipment that is only needed at a minimum to support a fighter like the X-Wing, A-Wing, StarWing, &c.

B- It's called flavor or fluff. Without which there is no game.

I've always been bothered with the dipictions showing the Gunboat with just 6 missiles tubes in each pod. It's always been depicted as such, which means either the gunboats carry torpedoes more frequently than shown in the lore or it only carries 12 missiles.

Or it simply means that all subsequent depictions are modeled after the first depiction to actually show the tubes. Which was the X-Wing Alliance depiction.

A- How do you land a TIE Interceptor? How do you dismount it? How do you mount it? TIEs pretty much require specialized equipment to recover and launch them. Equipment that is bulky and difficult to transport in the field.

So then this isn't a picture of a TIE Fighter just landed on a rocky, grassy piece of land then?

TIE Fighters aren't airplanes. They land the same way every other space ship lands. By flying straight down with their crazy sci-fi thrusters until they touch the ground.

Edited by DarthEnderX

Visually, compared to a TIE Interceptor, it's like a stick figure version of a human being. The TIE Oppressor is the same way, except it's more like a little kid was let loose in the model kit box, took a TIE Advanced fuselage, slathered model glue on it, and then rolled it in Star Wars parts.

It's not pleasant to get hot tea sprayed out from one's nose. And even less pleasant to have to clean the mess from one's keyboard.

I hope you feel ashamed for what you just did to me.

It's possible the warheads are fired from the top or bottom of the ordinance pods instead of the front, but I think the origisnal intention is for the gunboat to launch missiles out of the front of the pods.

Anyway, two missile upgrade slots is all we need in this game.

I wouldn't find it odd that the Gunboat would require replacing the two frontal warhead pods to accommodate different payloads. The usual double 6-pod model would represent just one configuration.

It would make sense for a quick response fighter to be able to quickly refit it for every particular mission with the most appropriate warhead type by just exchanging an easily replaceable standard external magazine component with another.

Also, being a model made by a third party contractor, it would totally fit their business model if they provided many different accessories and spare parts and components and pieces that the Empire has to use and replace often.

A. Probably all of them?

A- How do you land a TIE Interceptor? How do you dismount it? How do you mount it? TIEs pretty much require specialized equipment to recover and launch them. Equipment that is bulky and difficult to transport in the field. Equipment that is only needed at a minimum to support a fighter like the X-Wing, A-Wing, StarWing, &c.

B- It's called flavor or fluff. Without which there is no game.

To be fair, in the new Rebels cartoon, the TIE Fighters are usually parked on their side panels just on the floor. However, it must be a nightmare to refuel and repair those TIEs without proper cranes and equipment.

If I don't remember wrong, the TIEs seem to have some kind of minielevator. At least the TIE Phantom showed one in the Rebel Assault 2 cutscenes. It is more like a retractile platform.

You can see it around 33:30 in this video.

https://youtu.be/zrnuGT5KxnU?t=33m39s

It makes sense, however, that in a Star Destroyer TIEs (and also the Gunboats) were parked on a mobile rack for better storage and faster launching.

Edited by Azrapse

It makes sense, however, that in a Star Destroyer TIEs (and also the Gunboats) were parked on a mobile rack for better storage and faster launching...

...yep, good ol' Star Destroyer combat launches

GUNhanger.jpg

I have preferred to see a gunboat over *anything* the next wave has to offer.

Its got a good background in the star wars universe, its right for the era and have visual/aesthetic ties with the lambda.

I personally think it is a crying shame we've not had it yet.

I agree with this, and I humbly request that Gecko post another XG-1 pic on this thread.

Delivered (eventually!)

32.jpg

Thanks man, Gunboat love.

And I actually think that the TIE punisher looks kinda silly, and the GUN or MIS would have been a better choice repeatedly. The K-wing and Egg box were certainly close to the bottom of the barrel for selection. I'll admit that they've both grown on me a little, but the Gunboat... It's the first Imperial ship that I ever actually had to worry about in X-wing, and i've flown so many Gunboat / Avenger sorties... well. 4 joysticks. XvT claimed 4 joysticks from overuse. I had stronger wrists than faptau after that game.

The only thing the TIE Punisher delivers better than the Gunboat is bombs - and what with the Cluster Bombs, Conner Net and Ion Bombs, Wave 7 appears to be a very bomb-centric wave.

I honestly can't see myself buying any more new TIE variants, with the possible exception of a TIE Avenger should we ever see one released (still waiting for that Beam Weapon mechanic, after all). I think too many TIE variants really dilutes the theme of the Imperial forces, and I'd much rather use my existing TIE Bombers in the role the TIE Punisher is apparently intended to fill.

Gunboats, however - if they dropped in at the X-Wing/B-Wing price bracket with missiles and ion weaponry, then yeah, I could easily see myself picking up 3 or 4.

I think too many TIE variants really dilutes the theme of the Imperial forces

That's essentially what the Gunboat does.

TIEs ARE the theme of Imperial starfighter forces. Adding a bunch of ships that aren't TIEs are what causes dilution of that theme.

That's essentially what the Gunboat does.

TIEs ARE the theme of Imperial starfighter forces. Adding a bunch of ships that aren't TIEs are what causes dilution of that theme.

Nope - exactly the opposite, in fact. Introducing one or two small-based Imperial ships which do not follow the standard TIE series Imperial theme offers an aesthetic contrast for Imperial players - one which is almost completely lacking in the faction at the moment.

Adding obscure, almost unknown and unnecessary TIE series ship after obscure, almost unknown and unnecessary TIE series ship does nothing but dilute the Imperial theme and stretch the Imperial aesthetic to breaking point. As said previously, the TIE Punisher is already bordering on jumping the shark. Imperials need more contrasting options, not conflicting ones.