XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

By FTS Gecko, in X-Wing

I have preferred to see a gunboat over *anything* the next wave has to offer.

Its got a good background in the star wars universe, its right for the era and have visual/aesthetic ties with the lambda.

I personally think it is a crying shame we've not had it yet.

I agree with this, and I humbly request that Gecko post another XG-1 pic on this thread.

Rakaydos, on 22 Jun 2015 - 10:32 PM, said: snapback.png

Sienar, when comissioned to design a small fighter with lasers, ions, missiles, shields and hyperdrive, gave us the Tie Defender.

Cygnus, when given the same comission, gave us the Gunboat.

They're practically sister ships.

Nope!

I'd kinda give it you with the avenger, maybe, kinda,ish but no - in that they were often partnered.

The XG-1 was in service before Yavin as an interdiction and patrol ship, capable of atmospheric combat and long range patrol. By interdiction I mean in it's correct military term, obviously it doesn't have GWGs.

The TIE Advanced X-1 saw use 1 year before yavin and after, leading to the development of: The TIE Avenger after the battle of Hoth.(2-3 years after yavin?)

The defender was created between 3-15 months after, based on the Advanced X6 if I recall.

If the Defender is the F-22 then the Advanced is an F15, the Gunboat is more of an Apache gunship, and the TIE Interceptor is a Sabre Jet. (though in canon it seems that the interceptor and bomber are based off X1 prototypes too, which contradicts x-wing somewhat).

Defender could do everything the XG-1 can do, only better and faster with the exception of it still didn't as far as I know have onboard life support - making the XG-1 a better scout/patrol at atmoship. It's the next generation. Now, in later games the Defender was (thankfully) reimagined, acting more like the XG-1 did(in the absence of the XG-1). The XG-1 was relatively rare due to it's costs. The Defender yeah, barely a few dozen ever made by non-zaarin forces. Avengers didn't get much more.

Assault Gunboat:

Excellent multi-role craft. The first general deployment Imperial fighter designed with shielding and a hyperdrive. The "Assault Gunboat" is a cross between an assault shuttle and heavy fighter. These ships carry a formidable amount of weaponry for their size, and include both atmospheric travel features and a hyperdrive generator.

... just because

TIE Advanced X1 was deployed at least 4 years before Yavin. The v1 was also 5 years. The Advanced TIE program has been going on for quite some time, and produced quite a few fighters, but only the Interceptor as a production model came out of the program with numbers enough to be anywhere near as common as the Fighter.

The Avenger (or TIE Advanced production model) was fielded 3 years after Yavin (right after Hoth). The Defender Prototyoe was the X7, while the production model was listed as TIE/D, the same as the TIE Droid (very strange). X2 through x6 are a little sketchy but I think the X2 was supposed to be a less capable X1 without the extended fan tail, while the x3 was an interceptor prototype without the four wing guns. The avenger may have been the X4 in its prototype stage. The TIE Aggressor may have been the X5 or X 6 but it's never been stated in the lore.

I wonder if the V38 that was later modified to produced the Phantom TIE) was also an offshoot of the TIE Advanced line, beginning with the V1 from Lothal Shipyards. More than likely the V38 was a separate line altogether, unless there were 38 models of TIEs in less than 10 years that we only see two of.

Right, because of SW Rebels Vaders T/A appears much sooner than was originally canonized.

Duh <slaps forehead>

The V38... Eh, you know what? Maybe the V3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 were scrapped in development pre-prototype phase,the 9 was a concept prototype that was scrapped because it didn't compete with the V15, which was scrapped due to serious flaws...

When I am playing Space engineers, and working on a fighter I designate it by it's type, and mark.

So my Raptor MKIV is the 4th iteration/modification of my Raptor class starfighter.

MK2 and 3 never saw use apart from on the drawing board, before thinking - no this isn't efficient. Wasn't even built. Maybe that's what happened with a few dozen TIE Variants

I'd add that maybe the V38 was a limited production gunship made for a certain objective, and that model was revisited because it had what was useful for a phantom prototype.

Edited by DariusAPB

The Missile Boat is Overpowered Godfighter +1, because that's what it had to be to counter the Overpowered Godfighter the TIE defender was before the EU nerfed it from what was a 60 - 90pt ship to a 30pt ship. Its replacement in X-Wing looks to be the TIE punisher for the extreme ordnance carrier role. As for the Oppressor, not keen on it as it stands. Galaxies made a lot of nice things but it dropped the ball on its TIE variants.

As for Assault Gunboat versus TIE hunter, that one I'm giving to the Gunboat. The Hunter's literally a TIE X-wing. It's not a TIE raptor and that's just about all it's got going for it.

The "modified V38 assault fighter" is Rebel Assault 2 trying to sound technical: it's obviously a TIE. I wouldn't read too much into that.

Yeah I never liked the hunter, The aggressor was interesting. Oppressor.... nah never liked it either.

SWG dropped the ball on how TIE's operate full stop. I am still upset to this day that they only released atmo combat and TIE Defenders after it was dead.

SWG did do POB's well (the big ships).

While I don't really want to see the missile boat due to it's rarity It's probably less rare than a Trilon aggressor so .. yeah, a version could be made that is compatible with x-wing. Not that the TIE Punisher isn't in that role.

Edited by DariusAPB

The Missile Boat is Overpowered Godfighter +1, because that's what it had to be to counter the Overpowered Godfighter the TIE defender was before the EU nerfed it from what was a 60 - 90pt ship to a 30pt ship. Its replacement in X-Wing looks to be the TIE punisher for the extreme ordnance carrier role. As for the Oppressor, not keen on it as it stands. Galaxies made a lot of nice things but it dropped the ball on its TIE variants.

As for Assault Gunboat versus TIE hunter, that one I'm giving to the Gunboat. The Hunter's literally a TIE X-wing. It's not a TIE raptor and that's just about all it's got going for it.

The "modified V38 assault fighter" is Rebel Assault 2 trying to sound technical: it's obviously a TIE. I wouldn't read too much into that.

No standard TIE cockpit on it, boarding ramp on central surface, space enough for a gunner, the front viewport looks like it came from a CEC freighter. The body is chunky and square. The only thing TIE about it is the wings, being made from the pointy bits from Interceptor wings. I mean they are literally the same, look at the little plastic ships! Dunno why they mounted them directly on the spaceframe and not on spars like the Defender.

While I don't really want to see the missile boat due to it's rarity It's probably less rare than a Trilon aggressor so .. yeah, a version could be made that is compatible with x-wing. Not that the TIE Punisher isn't in that role.

I rather have a Missile Boat that is close to the lore, than a look alike that has only the name.

But that means, that I rather don't have the Missile Boat at all.

You mention its rarity. There were really few of them. I don't think there were made even more than a full squadron. During the Tie Fighter game campaign, the envoy of the Emperor mentions that a single Missile Boat was more expensive than the whole star destroyed that carried it.

I don't even think its cost would fit in a 300 points Epic battle here.

Edited by Azrapse

I rather have a Missile Boat that is close to the lore, than a look alike that has only the name.

But that means, that I rather don't have the Missile Boat at all.

You mention its rarity. There were really few of them. I don't think there were made even more than a full squadron. During the Tie Fighter game campaign, the envoy of the Emperor mentions that a single Missile Boat was more expensive than the whole star destroyed that carried it.

I don't even think its cost would fit in a 300 points Epic battle here.

What, there's no way it was that expensive. There were probably less than 10 missile boats ever made, but the. How many Phantoms ever saw combat before they were all blowed up? And, how many x1s? There's a lot of rare and super rare fighters for the empire that have gotten minis already, so that shouldn't be a reason to not make something. However they will never release a ship that actually conforms to the missile boat that appears in TIE fighter, mostly because ordinance does not work the same.

However they will never release a ship that actually conforms to the missile boat that appears in TIE fighter, mostly because ordinance does not work the same.

I mean, they COULD make the Missile Boat just have, like, 10 Missile slots. But it'd be a huge waste of points to fill them all, because you'd NEVER get to shoot all of them.

Considering that what, like two rebels blew up every last Phantom in existence at one base, I don't think 'rarity' is a blocker for being included in X-Wing. There's almost certainly more Missile Boats than Phantoms.

Even with the Punisher, the M-Boat would be distinct: Instead of a big, slower, bigger bomber, it'd be a nimbler, lighter bomber.Like some sort of Ordinance Interceptor. With SLAM and no Bombs.

So perhaps

ATK1

DEF2

Hull4

Shield3

2x Missile Slot

1x Torp Slot

1x System Slot (MAYBE).

Actions: Boost, Focus, Target Lock, SLAM.

Done. Very different. If we had good ordinance plus that extra ammo torp upgrade, then it'd be quite the unique ship.

Edited by Killionaire

In Star Wars Rebels Season 2:

When Vader takes out his TIE Advanced for the first time, it is definitely way ahead of its time.

No standard TIE cockpit on it, boarding ramp on central surface, space enough for a gunner, the front viewport looks like it came from a CEC freighter. The body is chunky and square. The only thing TIE about it is the wings, being made from the pointy bits from Interceptor wings. I mean they are literally the same, look at the little plastic ships! Dunno why they mounted them directly on the spaceframe and not on spars like the Defender.

A standard ball cockpit wouldn't seat two. It looks like an expanded TIE window to me, although I can see the YT similarity.

The important part is that those are TIE wing arrays, which only Sienar does: it's built with Sienar's technology. Why would it not be a TIE? The current supplementary material (designating it as a TIE/ph) I think fits far better than treating it as an existing commercial fighter that they stuck a cloak on.

However they will never release a ship that actually conforms to the missile boat that appears in TIE fighter, mostly because ordinance does not work the same.

Ordnance. It's neither pronounced nor spelled like ordinance, which comes from ordain and is a form of law.

Its got a good background in the star wars universe, its right for the era and have visual/aesthetic ties with the lambda.

It actually only appears in one source (RPG sourcebooks excluded), on par with the Kihraxz (Galaxies) and TIE punisher (Advanced TIE bomber/TIE interdictor in Galactic Battlegrounds). It's behind the TIE phantom which is a pretty obscure ship.

The Hound's Tooth is well established much like the Z-95 Headhunter and TIE defender (which are as established as it gets without being in a film).

Edited by Blue Five

An extended TIE pod like the starboard pod of a Bomber would be my logical choice for a two seater tie design, but then it would look as phallic as the Scimitar Assault Bomber.

I guess it can be a TIE, but the commonality of systems and parts doesn't come through as readily as most other TIE designs. The Phantom would probably have been a nightmare to maintain with its mostly unique design, and even more so with the exotic cloaking device. I would have figured a design like a cross between the TIE advanced (or avenger) and the Bomber's cockpit would have been easier to maintain and have enough room for extra crew and the cloak. But it probably wouldn't have looked so alien and menacing.

Star Wars aethestics very rarely focused on practicality. That being said, it's probably got the guts of a TIE interceptor, with the bulkier size to accommodate the cloak. That, and the ship you've described (a TIE Experimental M4 with the TIE advanced's rear fuselage) wouldn't, as you said, be particularly original. The phantom's one of the very few original TIE designs that truly works aesthetically. The others look like minor permutations, just plain wrong, or both.

V38 makes a lot of sense. The Glock 17 is called the model 17 because it was Glock's 17th design. And that was just a handgun! A starfighter is much, much more complicated, so 37 preceding variant models is probably pretty realistic.

V38 makes a lot of sense. The Glock 17 is called the model 17 because it was Glock's 17th design. And that was just a handgun! A starfighter is much, much more complicated, so 37 preceding variant models is probably pretty realistic.

Well, we do have the T-65 which was proceeded by the T-16 and T-47 in the OT, although only the X-wing was an actual starfighter, the others being air speeders. The T-70 from episode 7 is obviously a further advancement of that line and is even called an X-wing in official material. In the EU/legends there's even more models in the T-xx line, all made by Incom. I know of the T-14, which was an airspeeder very similar to the T-16. I don't know if there was a T-15 or if it was skipped of even if it was an airspeeder. I also don't know if there were 4 models of x-wings between the OT and the sequels, but one would think that in 30 years there is plenty of room for such things.

So I wonder. If the v1 and v38 really were repeated, or if the v1 and X1 were always designated prototype lines and X11 and higher and v11 and higher were production models (or just the v line). At any rate, does this have anything to do with X-wing minis? Nope.

Sorry for the digression

Star Wars aethestics very rarely focused on practicality. That being said, it's probably got the guts of a TIE interceptor, with the bulkier size to accommodate the cloak. That, and the ship you've described (a TIE Experimental M4 with the TIE advanced's rear fuselage) wouldn't, as you said, be particularly original. The phantom's one of the very few original TIE designs that truly works aesthetically. The others look like minor permutations, just plain wrong, or both.

It works aesthetically as it's based off of the original imperial shuttle concept art apparently.

It actually only appears in one source (RPG sourcebooks excluded), on par with the Kihraxz (Galaxies) and TIE punisher (Advanced TIE bomber/TIE interdictor in Galactic Battlegrounds). It's behind the TIE phantom which is a pretty obscure ship.

The Hound's Tooth is well established much like the Z-95 Headhunter and TIE defender (which are as established as it gets without being in a film).

I kinda hate that you are mostly right here. The assault gunboat doesn't appear much outside of the X-wing series, with even the DX-9 Stormtrooper Transport appearing in jedi knight - Mysteries of the sith.

Of course I REALLY want an x-wing DX-9 stormtrooper transport.

THIS SAID: Said XG-1 did appear in all of the x-wing games, being used a LOT, including in cutscenes where it did ground attack stuff. Also, it's got a cult fanbase following. (Arguably more so than the Avenger, which has seen even less use than the XG-1 ). Additionally the Assault gunboat was mentioned in a few novels.

Edit: The XG-1 was also in Mysteries of the Sith, putting it's appearences AHEAD of the Phantom by 3 games (albeit in the same series) and in 2 game series.

As I had mentioned in another thread, the XG-1 and DX9, BFF-1. TIE Defender, Avenger, Phantom are examples of ships from the golden age of Star Wars Fanon/Video games - that of the early to late 90s pre prequels. Of all of these only the Defender REALLLY took off, (having it's own micro machine toy, don't think the Phantom had this, also appeared in by far the most games).

Edited by DariusAPB

Possible Imperial ship for Wave 8:

XG-1 | Tie Aggressor | Tie Avenger

Any of them would make me happy.

Aggressor, Oppressor, Hunter, Avenger.

Oppressor and Hunter ... would be difficult to ... design to fill a blank spot

I-7 Howlrunner and A-9 vigilance

Oh and the space tug.

Oppressor and Hunter ... would be difficult to ... design to fill a blank spot

Then don't do that. Just add them because TIEs.

The oppressor never really fit IMO because of the pre-existing TIE Defender and Assault Gunboat.

The Hunter... sorry, it looks dumb - but that said I never did play the later Rogue squadron games.

I kinda want them to go against EU canon and not put shields on the TIE Hunter. That way, it really is like a budget TIE Defender.

Make sure to give it Ion Torpedoes though.

Edited by DarthEnderX