XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

By FTS Gecko, in X-Wing

3 hours ago, Gupa-nupa said:

So... What's it gunna take to get a reprint of these for 2.0. I really want access to these, the TIE Bomber, and the Lambda shuttle. Any theories on when (if at all) were gunna get these!

I guess FGG wants to reprint first all the fan favorite and more popular ships, as they did with the Jumpmaster, Hound's Tooth, Decimator, Ghost, Scyk, Z-95...

Sorry for the sarcasm. I just can't understand certain decisions...

It would make sense that for the Galactic Empire, FFG wanted to bring out first new canon stuff like the TIE heavy from Solo, since they would sell it both to veterans and newcomers.
But at this point I wouldn't really be surprised that the next batch of reprints for the Empire were the TIE Punisher and TIE Aggressor...

On 6/10/2020 at 2:05 AM, Azrapse said:

I guess FGG wants to reprint first all the fan favorite and more popular ships, as they did with the Jumpmaster, Hound's Tooth, Decimator, Ghost, Scyk, Z-95...

Sorry for the sarcasm. I just can't understand certain decisions...

It would make sense that for the Galactic Empire, FFG wanted to bring out first new canon stuff like the TIE heavy from Solo, since they would sell it both to veterans and newcomers.
But at this point I wouldn't really be surprised that the next batch of reprints for the Empire were the TIE Punisher and TIE Aggressor...

Have they reprinted ANY of the old “Legends” ships in 2.0? I’m betting they don’t plan to; the cross-marketing options are very limited, and I’m sure Disney wants them to optimize their marketing opportunities.

I suppose the Jumpmaster 5000 is one of the few Legends ships to make it into 2.0. So it’s possible we’ll see some more, but I wouldn’t hold my breath for TIE Punishers, TIE Aggressors, E-Wings, or anything like that... including Assault Gunboats.

3 hours ago, Cpt ObVus said:

Have they reprinted ANY of the old “Legends” ships in 2.0? I’m betting they don’t plan to; the cross-marketing options are very limited, and I’m sure Disney wants them to optimize their marketing opportunities.

I suppose the Jumpmaster 5000 is one of the few Legends ships to make it into 2.0. So it’s possible we’ll see some more, but I wouldn’t hold my breath for TIE Punishers, TIE Aggressors, E-Wings, or anything like that... including Assault Gunboats.

In that list all save for the Ghost were Expanded Universe ships.
The Jumpmaster and Hound's Tooth were from comics (even when I think the Hound's Tooth appeared in Clone Wars at some point).
The Decimator, Scyk and Z-95 are from videogames (even when a totally differently looking Z-95 appeared in Clone Wars at some point).

Ships like the TIE Defender were Legends up until the moment they appeared in Rebels, with a slightly different design. But FFG's re-released model is still like the Legends/First Edition one, so we could almost count it as Legends ship.

The things is that at the pace Disney has been re-canonizing ships in different media, it barely matters whether as ship is currently Legends-only or not. Anytime it could appear in any canon comic, novel, or series, and bam, it's canon.

For example, the Alpha-class Starwing XG-1 is mentioned in a canon book called Star Wars: The Rebel Files, as an Imperial ship captured by the Alliance and lost during the Battle of Endor.
And the E-wing appeared in the background in a canon comic.

Edited by Azrapse
7 hours ago, Azrapse said:

In that list all save for the Ghost were Expanded Universe ships.
The Jumpmaster and Hound's Tooth were from comics (even when I think the Hound's Tooth appeared in Clone Wars at some point).
The Decimator, Scyk and Z-95 are from videogames (even when a totally differently looking Z-95 appeared in Clone Wars at some point).

Ships like the TIE Defender were Legends up until the moment they appeared in Rebels, with a slightly different design. But FFG's re-released model is still like the Legends/First Edition one, so we could almost count it as Legends ship.

The things is that at the pace Disney has been re-canonizing ships in different media, it barely matters whether as ship is currently Legends-only or not. Anytime it could appear in any canon comic, novel, or series, and bam, it's canon.

For example, the Alpha-class Starwing XG-1 is mentioned in a canon book called Star Wars: The Rebel Files, as an Imperial ship captured by the Alliance and lost during the Battle of Endor.
And the E-wing appeared in the background in a canon comic.

I get all that, but it’s not like Disney has been re-canonizing things at lightning speed. They’ve owned Star Wars for five years now, and a substantial portion of the old ships we’re talking about are still not canon. I also feel like there’s probably more profit to be made for FFG by printing new ships (Resistance Y-Wings, Droid Tri-Fighters, that sort of thing) than there is in selling us reprints of 2.0 E-Wings, which half the player base already has in multiple.

I wish they were bringing it all forward with reprints, and I hope they find a way to do that (and I really hope they buff the K-Wing when they do, that thing needs help!), I’m just saying I think it’s unlikely.

Pondering how to equip a couple of AGs flying with Soontir Fel (and a TIE/IN wingman). Previously, i've found Nu/XG-1/Autoblasters to be one of the most cost-efficient things to fly, but i can't fit practically more ships yet need to spend points. Or more specifically, adding a ship is possible but aesthetically displeasing as i don't have enough cardboard bases for additional Nu-Gunboats or Saber-TIE/INs.

So perhaps i could add passive sensors and some missiles for longer range shooting? But if so, which missile? Mag-pulses offer nice range and effectiveness for OK cost, homing missiles don't seem too bad on paper (though i've never seen them really work, for or against me). APTs seem to overlap too much with autoblasters to be truly worth it. Proton torpedoes are an option, i'll just fly the TIE/INs with fewer upgrades, but i worry about the expense.

Alternatively i could fly them as pure missile boats but those never seem to truly work out, either becoming expensive wrecks, rolling badly, or ending with massive amount of unspent ordnance.

20 hours ago, Woorloog said:

Pondering how to equip a couple of AGs flying with Soontir Fel (and a TIE/IN wingman). Previously, i've found Nu/XG-1/Autoblasters to be one of the most cost-efficient things to fly, but i can't fit practically more ships yet need to spend points. Or more specifically, adding a ship is possible but aesthetically displeasing as i don't have enough cardboard bases for additional Nu-Gunboats or Saber-TIE/INs...

What I would do is take a basic Soontir / Gunboat list and roll it back from there.

So:

Soontir Fel / Predator

Nu Squadron Pilot - OS-1, Passive Sensors, Proton Torpedoes x 3

...seems solid enough. Three tough, hard hitting Gunboats to head the line while the Baron skulks behind them, waiting to pounce on a wounded target. That's 199 points IIRC.

So, from there, you'd drop one of the Gunboats and see what you can fit in.

Personally I'd try to squeeze Turr Phenirr in, because his ability is phenomenal fun and exactly how an Interceptor should want to play.

Edited by FTS Gecko

Might also switch one Gunboat from Proton Torpedoes to Diamond Boron Missiles. Nearly as good against a single ship, but with some nice splash potential, while giving an extra few points Soontir's bid. Not mandatory, but not bad.

There's also another oddball option: Proton Torpedoes, Passive Sensors, and XG-1/Autoblasters. Expensive, not as good as cranking torpedoes every turn, but potentially a useful hybrid. Opening-round Torpedoes for punch, with a solid backup of Autoblasters for when you reload or SLAM.

I'm not sure off the top off my head exactly how the list Tetris works out, but Soontir, DBM, and 2 ABS/Proton fits, IIRC.

21 hours ago, Woorloog said:

Pondering how to equip a couple of AGs flying with Soontir Fel (and a TIE/IN wingman). Previously, i've found Nu/XG-1/Autoblasters to be one of the most cost-efficient things to fly, but i can't fit practically more ships yet need to spend points. Or more specifically, adding a ship is possible but aesthetically displeasing as i don't have enough cardboard bases for additional Nu-Gunboats or Saber-TIE/INs.

So perhaps i could add passive sensors and some missiles for longer range shooting? But if so, which missile? Mag-pulses offer nice range and effectiveness for OK cost, homing missiles don't seem too bad on paper (though i've never seen them really work, for or against me). APTs seem to overlap too much with autoblasters to be truly worth it. Proton torpedoes are an option, i'll just fly the TIE/INs with fewer upgrades, but i worry about the expense.

Alternatively i could fly them as pure missile boats but those never seem to truly work out, either becoming expensive wrecks, rolling badly, or ending with massive amount of unspent ordnance.

I’ve generally found that the pain of lining up Autoblasters makes them little better than the StarWing primary. Maybe that’s just me. I do want to try the Autoblasters setup someday, but as for Ordnance builds, I’ve had good luck with:

Major Vynder

Diamond-Boron Missiles

Advanced Proton Torpedoes

Fire-Control System

Advanced SLAM

Os-1 Arsenal Loadout

59 points, covers all your ranges, super fun to fly. I would think that a setup basically similar to this would work on one of the generic frames, but I would swap Fire-Control System for Passive Sensors in order to help the low-initiative guys get locks consistently.

8 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

Nu Squadron Pilot - OS-1, Passive Sensors, Proton Torpedoes x 3

Actually interesting, but i only have two Nu bases. I do have three Gunship models but the conversion kit contents alone are a bit limiting here. (I also have only two passive sensors cards but since i play with my brother, we ignore that and just add charges to ships who lack a card they have, but ship bases and cards are a bit more big deal for us.) Wish the Gunboat would get a reprint soon, i'd like to get another.

As for ordnance-Vynder, i like that but i've played that so often i'm kinda bored with it. Usually i've used it with both PTs and APTs, i only got Diamond-Borons relatively recently, definitively an interesting option for Vynder.

Currently thinking of 2x Nu with Plasma Torps, Passive Sensors, XG-1s, Autoblasters for 47 points each. I expect i'll face Rebels most likely, with prequel factions possible though less likely, and shields are always an issue when dealing with Rebels.
Interceptors carry TarComps, and Soontir has Swarm Tactics as well. I wouldn't mind flying Turr Phennir but i want to keep a bid, and i've got exactly 6 points left. Unfortunately there's a lack of good options for 3-5 points... EDIT Good modifications at that range that is. Uncertain what would be a good talent for Soontir's wingman.

Edited by Woorloog

Does anyone ever use ion torpedoes? 4 dice at range 2-3 is attractive. Sure, damage isn't great, but hits are likely and ionized targets could be easy prey on the next turn.

42 minutes ago, Woorloog said:

Does anyone ever use ion torpedoes? 4 dice at range 2-3 is attractive. Sure, damage isn't great, but hits are likely and ionized targets could be easy prey on the next turn.

I’ve come around to appreciating Ion Missiles on Vultures for exactly those reasons (more or less). Haven’t tried the torps on a Gunboat but the principle seems legit—you’re rolling more dice than you otherwise could’ve, and denying the extra green at R3. Tokens are gravy.

Spiking damage is appealing, though. And you’re already spending a bit on the Gunboat chassis, so it’s gotta either inflict or enable enough damage to justify your investment. Ions can do that but it’s hard to put out enough of them to be a consistent part of your strategy unless you do it en masse .

1 hour ago, Woorloog said:

Actually interesting, but i only have two Nu bases. I do have three Gunship models but the conversion kit contents alone are a bit limiting here. (I also have only two passive sensors cards but since i play with my brother, we ignore that and just add charges to ships who lack a card they have, but ship bases and cards are a bit more big deal for us.)

I'm a big fan of using a few upside-down ship cards or upgrade cards when numbers aren't enough.

1 hour ago, Woorloog said:

I keep meaning to try them (on Gunboats or on Redline). They should be pretty consistent at pushing a single damage, and the control is nice. However, there's just so much stuff in the game that it's hard to get to some stuff which is only kinda interesting.

If there's an issue with Ion Torpedoes, it's that an Ion Torp gunboat is probably up around 41 points or more. 44 with XG-1, Autoblasters, Ion Torp, Passive Sensors, so you're looking probably at a 4-ship list. I've loved Ion weapons like the Cannon (and I think the missiles are good on Vultures), but pretty much only in 5+ ship lists. And the 5 ship list with Ion I've liked best has also brought Fenn Rau, and he can be a damage machine.

So with Ion Torp gunboats, maybe the way to go is to only bring two.

• Nu (XG-1, Autoblasters, Ion Torp, Passive Sensors) 44
  • Nu (XG-1, Autoblasters, Ion Torp, Passive Sensors) 44
  • Soontir (Predator) 55
  • Duchess (Predator, Fifth Brother) 55

Two folks who should hopefully have consistent Ion control, plus some punish for ionized moves, plus two aces who can toss out some solid damage. I dunno.

Ended up playing with two Nus with XG-1, Autoblasters, Plasma Torps, Passive Sensors; Saber Squadron Ace with TarComp and Intimidation; and Soontir Fel with TarCom and Swarm Tactics. My opponent (my brother) flew Leia with Han gunner and Mag Pulses, Ezra Bridger TIE/LN, and Garven Dreis (don't recall exact upgrades).

Plasma torpedoes worked well, stripping shields from the YT-1300 on the first round and almost getting it to half points. Didn't really get any more use out of them but no matter, Autoblasters worked well couple of times.
Saber Squadron Ace fired once (thanks to Swarm Tactics) and got nuked, i flew it and Soontir a bit stupidly straight at the enemy. Soontir did well though he fell to to a lucky shot from Ezra at the very end of the match (one hit vs triple blanks). Indeed, i would've won if not for that ridiculous luck.

Definitively like these Nu-boats. Think i'll try them with Ion Torpedoes next time, though i'll need to come with some other friendlies. Definitively need a Gunboat or two for even more Gunboat mayhem.

On 6/16/2020 at 10:15 AM, Woorloog said:

Not on Gunboats (I've put them on Wedge before, because I got so sick of only dealing 1-2 damage with his Proton Torpedoes that I decided I might as well save some points).

On the Gunboats, for the same price you can get an Ion Cannon, and while it's worse at range 3, it doesn't require you to announce your target ahead of time and doesn't have a dead zone at range 1, so I think that it's a little better overall.

12 hours ago, DR4CO said:

On the Gunboats, for the same price you can get an Ion Cannon, and while it's worse at range 3, it doesn't require you to announce your target ahead of time and doesn't have a dead zone at range 1, so I think that it's a little better overall.

The way I see it, it's spending 3 points (Passive Sensors) for a bonus attack die (4 vs 3). I'm not sure it's better, but figure it could use a little experimentation.

Edited by theBitterFig

Did anyone watch the Star Wars: Squadrons gameplay reveal presentation?

During the interview with Motive's Creative Director Ian Fraser, we find out he's a big fan of the X-Wing PC games (I mean, who wasn't?), and we're shown some artwork he made as a kid, including this little beauty:

swsag.jpg.4e962d3285136a97f81d8f7e12fadc0d.jpg

Yes, that's a Gunboat on the X-Wing's display! Yet another example of the enduring appeal of our five-winged Imperial saviour.

Time stamp in the video is 2:35.

@Odanan you need to tweet this guy and ask him about his Gunboat love! 😁

2 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

We all need, brother.

This thing dropped down to Page 5... no wonder someone started a different Gunboat thread.

BRING BACK THE’BOAT!
BRING BACK THE’BOAT!
BRING BACK THE’BOAT!

On 7/24/2020 at 8:48 PM, theBitterFig said:

This thing dropped down to Page 5... no wonder someone started a different Gunboat thread.

The threads are many, for we are Legion.

This wasn't the first. It won't be the last 😂

Gunboats! (and Missile boats!)

(rendering not final)

26 minutes ago, Odanan said:

Gunboats! (and Missile boats!)

(rendering not final)

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyum!

That is looking pretty sweet!

More please @Odanan 😁

On 6/22/2020 at 1:02 AM, FTS Gecko said:

On 6/22/2020 at 1:05 AM, Odanan said:

We all need, brother.

Just show me where to aim my Tweet and I shall bring out the account that I do absolutely nothing with to make it happen! (I only ask for directions due to not being particular Twitter savvy and preferring not to inundate some poor other Ian Fraser with questions about our 5-winged Saviour (I need to use that more often!))