XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

By FTS Gecko, in X-Wing

God d**n gorgeous.

On 3/19/2020 at 8:28 PM, All Shields Forward said:

Fractalsponge had his Starwings in the Essential Guide to Warfare before Disney bought the license, so until FFG released their model, his version *was* the canon interpretation.

And now it still is, because FFG's version is a straight copy/paste of FractalSponge's. It matches even the particular shape of the solar panels.

I want one. But I’m not paying $112 for it.

Seems like it filled a good niche for the Empire. Why wouldn’t they give it the 2.0verhaul?

2 minutes ago, Cpt ObVus said:

Seems like it filled a good niche for the Empire. Why wouldn’t they give it the 2.0verhaul?

I was crazy enough to buy 4 of them when they came out, and now I don't regret doing it. :D

FFG has stopped reediting old ships into 2.0, at least temporarily, because they weren't selling well. But in my opinion, it's just because they chose to reedit a strange selection of useless or unpopular ships.

16 hours ago, Cpt ObVus said:

Obvious answer is they haven't got around to it yet. There's a LOT of ships still to make the transition to 2nd Edition.

For the Empire, the TIE Fighters, Advanced, Advanced Prototype, Interceptor, Bomber, Striker, Defender, Reaper and Lambda were/are all higher up the food chain as they're all canon, between the films and Rebels.

The Big Gun TIE from Solo might even could me out before a Gunboat re-release

Then it'll be between the Gunboat, TIE Punisher and TIE Aggressor...

Sweet as it is, the Gunboat took a long time to arrive in 1st Edition, it'll probably take a long time to be reprinted for 2nd.

Hopefully not quite as long, though...

So, are these things good as one-ofs in a list with other TIEs/big ships, like Reapers, Lambdas, or VT-49s? I went hunting for them, as a fan of the old X-Wing computer games, and managed to acquire one for a far more reasonable sum than I’d been finding elsewhere, but there was only one available. Wondering how best to use it...

I have 2 Gunboats, still unopened, which i would be willing to sell and ship worldwide for a fair price.

If someone is interested just leave me a message, i'm located in Europe.

Edited by BankTheTank
7 hours ago, Cpt ObVus said:

So, are these things good as one-ofs in a list with other TIEs/big ships, like Reapers, Lambdas, or VT-49s? I went hunting for them, as a fan of the old X-Wing computer games, and managed to acquire one for a far more reasonable sum than I’d been finding elsewhere, but there was only one available. Wondering how best to use it...

It's a reasonable ship as a one-of. Heck, it's probably *best* as a one-of ship, but folks like flying squads of them.

Best pilot is probably Major Vynder with OS-1, Proton and Advanced Proton Torpedoes, Fire Control System, Advanced SLAM. You can crank out a torpedo each turn at any range, and keep reloading. He's great when flown with Colonel Jendon in the Lambda for long-range Locks, ideally also with Emperor Palpatine for force, and Vader is great as the 3rd ship.

However, applying the same principles to a generic also works. OS-1, Passive Sensors (FCS synergizes better with OS-1, since you can crank Torps or Missiles out every round while reloading, but Init 2-3 Gunboats have a lot harder of a type to get Locks, so Passive Sensors), maybe Advanced SLAM (it's not vital... Passive Sensors can't be used with Advanced SLAM), and choice of munitions.

I kinda think Diamond Boron Missiles is a great piece for a single gunboat, since you can use it against a single target for "almost" a 4 dice attack (use the second charge to add a die), or it'll work to potentially splash some damage against a group. It's also cheap. OS-1/Passive/DBM on a Nu is only 41 points, and probably fits along just about anything in Imperials.

XG-1 Cannon Gunboats are something that just hasn't really seemed to work out. They can be fun enough, but just haven't been wicked successful. I'm inclined to think going only for a cannon (Ion or Autoblasters) and Advanced SLAM is probably the best, but there's also potential to mix ordnance and Cannon. Ion Cannon with Advanced Proton Torpedoes, or Autoblasters with a range 2-3 missile or Torpedo (Ion Torps? Regular?). As I say, it hasn't really worked out. Overall, an OS-1 filler is probably better.

Edited by theBitterFig

WARNING: THIS IS PROBABLY (CERTAINLY) NOT TOURNAMENT VIABLE!

I honestly think that Nu Squad pilots with auto blasters and advanced slam are a hoot. At 39 points, they are fun in the same way that CLT Jedi nights are; they can be just about anywhere, they are relatively survivable, they can spike damage when you line up those bullseyes, and, most importantly, they are super fun. I agree that passive sensors and adv proton torps (or really any munition) is probably better, but this is fun, especially en masse.

I still didn't find a satisfactory Gunboat squad in 2nd edition as in 1st edition... 😞

1 hour ago, urbanyeti said:

WARNING: THIS IS PROBABLY (CERTAINLY) NOT TOURNAMENT VIABLE!

I honestly think that Nu Squad pilots with auto blasters and advanced slam are a hoot. At 39 points, they are fun in the same way that CLT Jedi nights are; they can be just about anywhere, they are relatively survivable, they can spike damage when you line up those bullseyes, and, most importantly, they are super fun. I agree that passive sensors and adv proton torps (or really any munition) is probably better, but this is fun, especially en masse.

Hrm... Mix and match? Three Autoblasters, two Ion Torpedo/Passive Sensor. Those 4-dice attacks potentially line things up for the ABS ones, and a good way for a ship which can't turn around to keep some positional advantage on ships which *can* turn around might be to use Torpedoes.

Only question: OS-1 or XG-1 and Jamming Beam on the Passive/Ion Torp ones?

1 hour ago, theBitterFig said:

Hrm... Mix and match? Three Autoblasters, two Ion Torpedo/Passive Sensor. Those 4-dice attacks potentially line things up for the ABS ones, and a good way for a ship which can't turn around to keep some positional advantage on ships which *can* turn around might be to use Torpedoes.

Only question: OS-1 or XG-1 and Jamming Beam on the Passive/Ion Torp ones?

I would argue xg-1 jamming because I can't really see OS-1 without fire control system. I like the utility of xg-1. I have never fielded ion torps. Are they good? I have long been a proponent of rhos with autoblasters/xg-1/adv pro torps/passive sensors/marksmenship/ but that same list build could sub in the ion torps at no additional cost.

I have finally gotten Vynder on the table a few times, using the Ordnance Configuration, FCS, ASLAM, DBMs, and APTs.

He’s been absolutely dynamite. Most recently I set him up with a Homing Missiles 5Bro and a pretty bare bones Colonel Vessery. Vessery ducks and weaves in and out of combat, taking potshots when he can, while the others attack with their ordnance from afar and peel away when they get pressured. Everyone is fast enough to get out when they need to, or chase down enemies who decided to give chase to a wingman. Lots of good synergy.

I imagine Vader might be an even better pick than Vessery, but I’ve really come to love open activation orders (everyone here is i4), and I wanted to give the TIE/D some more table time anyway.

Now I’ve got to find a way to use both of the two Gunboats I’ve procured.

Edited by Cpt ObVus
8 hours ago, urbanyeti said:

I would argue xg-1 jamming because I can't really see OS-1 without fire control system. I like the utility of xg-1. I have never fielded ion torps. Are they good? I have long been a proponent of rhos with autoblasters/xg-1/adv pro torps/passive sensors/marksmenship/ but that same list build could sub in the ion torps at no additional cost.

I feel like Ion Torps could be sneaky-good. I know Ion Cannons are fine, and the Torps get extra dice. OS-1 might not be terrible, but I think it needs Advanced SLAM. Then it opens up the SLAM-Lock as an option, instead of just PS for locks, but then the thing moves up into a different price bracket.

APT and Autoblasters seems odd to me; seems like going for two different weapons that want only close range is going to leave one unused.

36 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

I feel like Ion Torps could be sneaky-good. I know Ion Cannons are fine, and the Torps get extra dice. OS-1 might not be terrible, but I think it needs Advanced SLAM. Then it opens up the SLAM-Lock as an option, instead of just PS for locks, but then the thing moves up into a different price bracket.

APT and Autoblasters seems odd to me; seems like going for two different weapons that want only close range is going to leave one unused.

I'm a huge proponent of the APT/Autoblasters combo. They don't compete in my mind. The purpose of APT and passive are all about creating a no-fly-zone threat area. Auto blasters are cool when you can line up that range 1 bullseye shot, sure, and there are times I rather roll 4 dice and save the APT (like if I'm attacking a low agility target at low health), but more than anything, the autoblaster (for the low, low price of 3 points) effectively gives you your primary attack on SLAM or reload. It's cheaper than ion cannon (which I like, but the effect often feels like the cologne from "Anchor Man": "60% of the time, it works every time").

16 hours ago, Odanan said:

I still didn't find a satisfactory Gunboat squad in 2nd edition as in 1st edition... 😞

not sure on upgrades exactly but strategy-wise three of them with Soontir seems like a good way to go to achieve the same sort of win conditions that the two+kylo did in first edition.

30 minutes ago, Kyle Ren said:

not sure on upgrades exactly but strategy-wise three of them with Soontir seems like a good way to go to achieve the same sort of win conditions that the two+kylo did in first edition.

I'm a simple man.

I used to play with 4x Nus with Mangler, Long Range Scanners and Linked Battery in 1st edition.

12 minutes ago, Odanan said:

I'm a simple man.

I used to play with 4x Nus with Mangler, Long Range Scanners and Linked Battery in 1st edition.

I flew the same squad lol

I wonder if autoblaster boats would feel similar?

https://raithos.github.io/?f=Galactic Empire&d=v8ZsZ200Z167XW13W14WWWY164XWWWW144W232Y164XWWWW144W232Y164XWWWW144W232Y164XWWWW144W232&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

It sure seems like the squad just got better in second edition...

@FFG Brian —respectfully requesting BRING BACK GUNBOAT !

GUNBOAT 2020

THE CANDIDATE WE NEED

NOT THE ONE THAT WE DESERVE

45 minutes ago, Kyle Ren said:

I flew the same squad lol

I wonder if autoblaster boats would feel similar?

https://raithos.github.io/?f=Galactic Empire&d=v8ZsZ200Z167XW13W14WWWY164XWWWW144W232Y164XWWWW144W232Y164XWWWW144W232Y164XWWWW144W232&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

It sure seems like the squad just got better in second edition...

I am very into the auto baster. In a lot of ways it reduces the disarm token into nothing as you can slam and still basically have your primary. I also really like the bullseyes bonus that comes with it. flown in a group, it's pretty easy to get people caught in the cross fire. It is the most like 1.0 mangler cannons but with the added bonus that you can now slam and shot within range 2.

22 minutes ago, urbanyeti said:

I am very into the auto baster. In a lot of ways it reduces the disarm token into nothing as you can slam and still basically have your primary. I also really like the bullseyes bonus that comes with it. flown in a group, it's pretty easy to get people caught in the cross fire. It is the most like 1.0 mangler cannons but with the added bonus that you can now slam and shot within range 2.

I think I could be into the Autoblaster, but not alongside the Advanced Proton Torpedoes. Like @theBitterFig said, it’s two effects that both want range one. It seems like I’d want the backup option to be something that I can use at longer range, in case I can’t get into range one.

1 hour ago, CoffeeMinion said:

@FFG Brian —respectfully requesting BRING BACK GUNBOAT !

With folding wings!!!

My list which I currently test at TTS:

Soontir Fel (53)
Outmaneuver (6)
Targeting Computer (3)
Afterburners (6)

“Whisper” (57)
Juke (7)
Fire-Control System (2)
Fifth Brother (11)
Targeting Computer (3)

Major Vynder (41)
Marksmanship (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
Advanced SLAM (3)
Xg-1 Assault Configuration (0)
Autoblasters (3)
Total: 198

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

Here, the star wing is the one who delivers the bait but hits extremly hard if coming from the back - the undeniable crit is a nightmare for every ace...

So... What's it gunna take to get a reprint of these for 2.0. I really want access to these, the TIE Bomber, and the Lambda shuttle. Any theories on when (if at all) were gunna get these!

3 hours ago, Gupa-nupa said:

So... What's it gunna take to get a reprint of these for 2.0.

Speaking cynically, probably an appearance in one of the new pieces of media.