Starfighter Creation Thread

By LibrariaNPC, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

And now the final ship of my Old Republic run!

Davaab -type Starfighter

(Old Republic)

250px-Mandfight.JPG

Hull type: Starfighter

Ship Class: Davaab -type starfighter

Manufacturer: Mandalorian Neo-Crusader War Forges

Hyperdrive: Class 2

Navcomp: Yes

Sensor Range: Short

Ship's Complement: Pilot; Gunner

Encumbrance Capacity: 8

Passenger Capacity: 0

Consumables: 1 week

Cost/Rarity: 150,000 credits (80,000 uses)/8 ® (5 in Mandalorian space)

Customization Hard Points: 3

Silhouette: 3

Speed: 4

Handling: +1

Defense: 1/1

Armor: 3

Hull Threshold: 10

System Threshold: 8

Weapons:

Forward firing Medium Laser Cannon (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [Close])

Forward firing Concussion Missile Launcher (Concussion Missile Launcher (Fire Arc ; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [short]; Breach 4, Blast 4, Guided 3, Limited Ammo 3, Slow-Firing 1)

Creation note: for a Mandalorian ship that is supposed to protect capital ships, there isn’t much going for this. I decided to give it decent hull for a fighter and went lower on the armor compared to bombers.

I also gave it a few extra points of Customization, as apparently many Crusaders were modifying this craft as it is a badge of honor.

I added the concussion missile launcher after hearing from a friend who has the Knights of the Old Republic guide from Saga Edition. It makes it a bit beefier, but still something that is a bit lacking.

Seriously. Everything in this thread should be collected as a PDF. It would be a great snapshot of LibrariaNPC's effort at this point in time, even if they get overwritten by official stats in the future.

And honestly. . .that's it. That's all I have to date. That's everything I made starfighter-wise in the past two weeks.

Well, I do have some stats for a few ships from the films, like the Delta-7 Aethersprite, the Actis-class Interceptor, the V-Wing, ARC-170, and the N-1 Naboo Starfighter, but I think those are well overdone. If anyone would like to see my take, I'd be glad to post them.

I may get around to statting up some of the random Uglies, but with how random they are, I don't know if it's worthwhile just yet.

The rest of the starfighters that I have interest in are either New Republic or Legacy era, as without knowing what AoR has in store fighter wise to do comparisons for, I'm not certain if it'll be worth trying to stat the TwinTail or the Predator starfighters just yet.

I'll still take requests and post others that I see, but I may start working on some of the Jedi/Force rules, the Phantasy Star conversion, or possibly Freighters in the meantime.

Oh, and I do plan on taking all 35 (!) of these ships once I get more feedback on them and putting them into a GDoc/pdf, so if anyone would want to help to make it "pretty," I'd be game to work with them!

M3-A Scyk

Forward Firing Medium Laser Cannon (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [Close])

Wookiepedia shows this as having 2 cannons. Was this just an oversite? I think I'd laugh at any fighter with 1 gun.

Also just a small nit pick here, instead of using numbers I think it helps to use names: Twin, Triple, Quad, etc.

And although FFG do the redundant FORWARD/AFT laser pewpew etc, the Forward-firing is a bit much and wordy, the fire arcs tell already give you that info. Sorry, I'm OCD :)

I do like specific location mounted info for use in a critical or storytelling, such as; chin, belly, wingtip, rear, etc

Continuing the MandalMotors theme with the G1-M4-C Dunelizard!

G1-M4-C Dunelizard

250px-Dunelizard-SWG.jpg

Ship Class: G1-M4-C Dunelizard fighter

Manufacturer: MandalMotors

Navcomp: Equipped

Ship's Complement: Pilot; Co-pilot (Astromech in the Type II variant)

Encumbrance Capacity: 12

Consumables: 2 weeks

Cost/Rarity: 115,000 credits (55,000 used)/5

Handling: +2

System Threshold: 9

Weapons:

2 Forward Firing Medium Laser Cannons (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [Close]; Linked 1)

The Dunelizard appears in the Long Arm of the Hutt adventure.

The "official" stats differ in

Hull Threshold: 8

System Strain: 7

Good work! :)

Why don't you make a pdf?

M3-A Scyk

Forward Firing Medium Laser Cannon (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [Close])

Wookiepedia shows this as having 2 cannons. Was this just an oversite? I think I'd laugh at any fighter with 1 gun.

Also just a small nit pick here, instead of using numbers I think it helps to use names: Twin, Triple, Quad, etc.

And although FFG do the redundant FORWARD/AFT laser pewpew etc, the Forward-firing is a bit much and wordy, the fire arcs tell already give you that info. Sorry, I'm OCD :)

I do like specific location mounted info for use in a critical or storytelling, such as; chin, belly, wingtip, rear, etc

I think that was a mistake, as I think I saw that the weapons were often swapped out, and it seemed like it was only swapped out for a single weapon. I can make that fix when I'm back at the office with the files open.

One of my goals is to clean up these at some point soon by adding an "Era" section (Old Republic, Rise of the Empire, etc), so people have a general idea of the timeline in question. I also wanted to change the "Forward Firing" to location-specific at some point, but I was more concerned with getting the overall stats written down.

As for the names, that's something I was a bit lazy on, as the names were really just fancy ways of saying the generics; Triple Laser Cannons were Light Laser Cannons, for example, which makes me shake my head a bit, especially since there are "Double Laser Cannons" our there that are supposed to have more of a punch than a Z-95, but a Z-95 has a Triple, so. . .

Conversions get weird. . .I decided to save myself the headache and, for the most part, stick with the names in the book.

Sound fair?

Continuing the MandalMotors theme with the G1-M4-C Dunelizard!

G1-M4-C Dunelizard

250px-Dunelizard-SWG.jpg

Ship Class: G1-M4-C Dunelizard fighter

Manufacturer: MandalMotors

Ship's Complement: Pilot; Co-pilot (Astromech in the Type II variant)

Encumbrance Capacity: 12

Consumables: 2 weeks

Cost/Rarity: 115,000 credits (55,000 used)/5

Weapons:

2 Forward Firing Medium Laser Cannons (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [Close]; Linked 1)

The Dunelizard appears in the Long Arm of the Hutt adventure.

The "official" stats differ in

System Strain: 7

Interesting since it's supposed to be a heavy fighter with some modifications available to it.

Knowing that, I wonder if the Kimogila is too powerful, then. . .

Good work! :)

Why don't you make a pdf?

That's a goal at some point, but I'm still cleaning up the ships first (as you can tell with some of the suggestions). Once I finish cleanup, I may consider it, but if I make it, it won't look pretty. If you or someone you know can make a better looking document, I'm all ears for working on it.

Like any mad scientist, I can't stop working on something this awesome, even when I finish up my docket.

Besides the couple of requests I've gotten via messages for non-fighters (they are inspiring me to make a freighter/miscellaneous ship thread, though), I was sent a request for a "Tri-Fighter" from the EU. This is what I cooked up.

Clutch Fighter (Ugly)

aka: tri-fighter

Ship Class: Ugly

Manufacturer: None (Moff Leonia Tavira and the Invids)

Hyperdrive: None

Navcomp: None

Ship's Complement: Pilot

Encumbrance Capacity: 6

Consumables: 1 day

Cost/Rarity: 45,000 credits/5

Customization Hard Points: 1

Speed: 5

Defense: 1/0

Armor: 2

Hull Threshold: 6

System Threshold: 6

Weapons:

2 Chin Mounted Medium Laser Cannons ( Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [Close]; Linked 1)

1 Wing Mounted Light Ion Cannon (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 5; Critical 4; Range [Close]; Ion)

Creator’s Note: The ship is supposedly slightly slower than an X-Wing but more maneuverable. I thought making it the same speed (as the Speed in this game is small enough that “slightly” doesn’t warrant a one point difference) but slightly less maneuverable than a TIE (due to shields and the fact that Uglies tend to be a bit wonky) would balance things out.

I wouldn’t be against raiding the Handling to a +3 to put it on-par with a TIE, but I thought it made it a bit too much.

Edited by LibrariaNPC

Thank you for the thread! I'm very glad to see you stat up the Scyk, Dunelizard and Kimogila. A couple of my players and I played Star Wars: Galaxies and those were used by Hutts. I have fond memories of tooling around in my Kimo. Anyway, have you considered working out the rest of the fighters from that game? They fit perfectly in the EotE timeframe.

http://swg.wikia.com/wiki/Freelance_ship

I wouldnt bother with the havoc as it is a unique ship. The rihkxyrk was a cool looking fighter in empire at war.

Thank you for the thread! I'm very glad to see you stat up the Scyk, Dunelizard and Kimogila. A couple of my players and I played Star Wars: Galaxies and those were used by Hutts. I have fond memories of tooling around in my Kimo. Anyway, have you considered working out the rest of the fighters from that game? They fit perfectly in the EotE timeframe.

http://swg.wikia.com/wiki/Freelance_ship

I never did play Galaxies due to lack of time and a computer that could handle it, but a friend of mine has some similar fond memories and loved the fact I statted up the Syck and the others.

I'll see what else I can find on some of these and get statting. You may see at least one, if not more, posted tomorrow, and if time permits, all o the fighters by the end of the week.

I may get started on my own freighter collection this week as well, so if that comes to pass, I may add the Vigo Gunship and any other freighter listed there.

I wouldnt bother with the havoc as it is a unique ship. The rihkxyrk was a cool looking fighter in empire at war.

I don't think that's worth stopping the statting process over, honestly. I statted up the Preybird and Drexl starfighters, after all, and they were very limited (only 2 Preybirds) or had their designs stolen for illegal production (the Drexl). Who's to say some other crimelord didn't steal the plans and start secretly producing them for their own empire?

Would be a fun twist to a game, honestly, as the players find out their boss is really preparing for a large scale war, and (s)he may be worse than the Galactic Empire. . .

It is just my personal philosophy to keep unique ships/items/people out of my game

Especially in a printed book, having stats for a unique ship such as the havoc or the Millenium Falcon is a wast of space. Space that could have been used for ships that the players could reliably have access to. Different strokes and all. I'd rather have more fighters that are generic than a single ship that I have to build an entire campaign for.

Just my request. I am really liking the fighter stats you've done.

Just my request. I am really liking the fighter stats you've done.

Thanks for the words of praise there. I'm glad to know people are enjoying it and trusting me to stat up their requests.

It is just my personal philosophy to keep unique ships/items/people out of my game

Especially in a printed book, having stats for a unique ship such as the havoc or the Millenium Falcon is a wast of space. Space that could have been used for ships that the players could reliably have access to. Different strokes and all. I'd rather have more fighters that are generic than a single ship that I have to build an entire campaign for.

As for unique ships, I always find them to be a mixed bag. Some of them are only unique because there is only one out there, and others are "unique" because they appeared once before being rehashed into something else (like the Virago leading to the StarVipers). I see the Havoc falling into the latter rather than the former category, which is why I'll consider adding it to the docket.

But unique ships like the Falcon, Outrider, Guri's Stinger, etc, are not worth statting up in a book for the exact reason you said: they take up space that could be used for a ship that someone could really use. The only use for statting unique ships or characters within the book is to give an example as to what can be done using the rules, basically saying "This is what X is capable of, and yes, you can do it too!"

The problem with that is everyone wants to do it.

And the cycle goes on. . .which is why I'm not statting any modified ships like the Sharp Spiral or the Soulless One in this list. I'll leave that to everyone's preference while I just provide the "stock" versions.

Edited by LibrariaNPC

Alright, it took a little while for me to catch up with life (job hunting + working full time + preparing for game sessions == time sink), but I finally got around to statting up those fighters.

As a note, I sidestepped the Gunships. I think they would be better in a Frieghter category as they are more like Skiprays than anything. I'll add them to my ever-growing Freighter list and get to them eventually. . .

Anyway, first up:The Ixiyen -class Fast Attack Craft!

Ixiyen- class Fast Attack Craft

250px-TransGal.JPG

Ship Class: Ixiyen ­-class Fast Attack Craft

Manufacturer: TransGalMeg Industries

Hyperdrive: Class 1

Encumbrance Capacity: 6

Cost/Rarity: 180,000 credits (40,000 used)/5 ®

Customization Hard Points: 2

Weapons:

2 Wing-Mounted Medium Laser Cannons ( Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [Close]; Linked 1)

1 Nose Mounted Concussion Missile Launcher (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [short]; Breach 4, Blast 4, Guided 3, Limited Ammo 5, Slow-Firing 1)

Kihraxz Assault Fighter

250px-Kihraxz.jpg

Ship Class: Kihraxz assault fighter

Encumbrance Capacity: 10

Consumables: 2 days

Cost/Rarity: 70,000 credits (40,000 used)/4

Customization Hard Points: 5

Speed: 6

System Threshold: 8

Weapons:

2 wing mounted light blaster cannons ( Fire Arc Forward; Damage 4; Critical 4; Range [Close]; Linked 1)

1 Nose mounted concussion missile launcher ( Fire Arc ; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [short]; Breach 4, Blast 4, Guided 3, Limited Ammo 5, Slow-Firing 1)

Note: I disagree with making this ship a Restricted Vessel, and have done away with it due to the lack of armaments. If you feel it should be restricted, then make it so.

Additionally, a common variant of this craft,t he Vaksai, is nothing more than a heavily modified version put together by Black Sun. Here are the changes for a Vaksai :

250px-Vaksai-.jpg

Hyperdrive: Class 1

Cost/Rarity: 185,000 credits (115,000 used)/8 ®

Hull Threshold: 9

Weapons: Upgrade light blaster cannons to Medium Laser Cannons (Fire Arc ; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [Close]; Linked 1)

Notes: The cockpit acts as an escape pod, allowing the pilot to eject without needing a sealed suit.

I know there isn’t a modification for increased Hull Trauma/System Strain yet, but I see that happening with the cargo hit, customization reduction, and armor increase without a loss in handling.

Rihkxyrk Assault Fighter

250px-RihkxyrkAssaultFighter-SWG.jpg

Ship Class: Rihkxyrk Assault Fighter (also known as the Rihkxyrk Attack Ship)

Encumbrance Capacity: 7

Consumables: 1 day

Cost/Rarity: 240,000 credits (150,000 used)/5 ®

Handling: 0

Armor: 4

Hull Threshold: 14

System Threshold: 10

Weapons:

3 Wing and Fore-mounted medium laser cannons ( Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [Close]; Linked 2)

Fore-mounted concussion missile launcher ( Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [short]; Breach 4, Blast 4, Guided 3, Limited Ammo 10, Slow-Firing 1)

Note: I statted this up as a slightly more rugged Y-Wing with slightly less heavy armament (concussion missiles vs proton torpedoes). If you find it overkill, I can dumb it down a bit, but with the descriptions, it seems to need the more rugged feel portrayed here.

Edited by LibrariaNPC

And now the final one from the requests: The Scurrg H-6 Prototype Bomber (the ship that would become known as the Havoc )

Scurrg H-6 Prototype Bomber

250px-HavocStarfighter-SWGMB.jpg

Hull type: Starfighter/Bomber

Ship Class: Scurrg H-6

Manufacturer: Nubian Design Collective

Hyperdrive: Class 1 (Class 10 backup)

Ship's Complement: Pilot; Gunner; Navigator

Encumbrance Capacity: 25

Consumables: 2 Weeks

Cost/Rarity: 150,000 credits/8 ®

Hull Threshold: 13

Weapons:

6 Wing-mounted medium laser cannons ( Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [Close]; Linked 5)

1 dorsal mounted automated twin laser cannon turret ( Fire Arc Turret; Damage 5; Critical 3; Range [Close]; Linked 1)

1 Prototype Bomblet Generator ( Fire Arc Dorsal; Damage 7; Critical 3; Range [short]; Breach 4, Blast 4, Slow-Firing 1)

Note: The Bomblet Generator is a prototype device that uses the energy of the main generator to create unstable “bombs” made of pure energy.

When used, take 3 setback dice when targeting a moving target smaller than Silhouette 6.

On a Despair, the bombs may possibly explode within the vehicle (if you want to be cruel, that is).

The generator does not have a Limited Ammo quality as it generates its own ammunition at the rate of 1 bomblet per minute (about 10 rounds). It can hold a maximum of 10 bomblets at a time.

It was one of the heaviest armed and armored starfighters of the Rebellion era . [1]

The ship's tight defenses led to many Rihkxyrk pilots having a high sense of confidence in their own abilities as well as that of their ships, after surviving undamaged in many heavy conflicts

I dont think 3 armor or 1/1 defense really does it justice, just going by what wookiepedia is saying. I'm not familiar with it myself, but I'm bias to any HEAVY attack craft! EoE seems a bit lacking in the nuances of fighter stats.

Maybe also give it Durable (2) talent or something? Also I've been stating out my heavy fighters with HEAVY laser canons (7 dmg) but keeping the range as CLOSE, to differentiate them from average fighters.

It was one of the heaviest armed and armored starfighters of the Rebellion era . [1]

The ship's tight defenses led to many Rihkxyrk pilots having a high sense of confidence in their own abilities as well as that of their ships, after surviving undamaged in many heavy conflicts

I dont think 3 armor or 1/1 defense really does it justice, just going by what wookiepedia is saying. I'm not familiar with it myself, but I'm bias to any HEAVY attack craft! EoE seems a bit lacking in the nuances of fighter stats.

Maybe also give it Durable (2) talent or something? Also I've been stating out my heavy fighters with HEAVY laser canons (7 dmg) but keeping the range as CLOSE, to differentiate them from average fighters.

I'm wary of giving it better armor considering how people reacted when I gave the E-Wing armor 4, so I don't know how well that'll go. Besides, Armor 4 seems to be better suited for larger ships that can carry it.

I also don't have the stats for a B-Wing on hand, which is arguably the heaviest fighter used by the Alliance. I would assume it would be a bit better than what I have here, but I don't know by how much. Perhaps better shields (2/1, perhaps) due to the Mon Calimari design, but similar hull?

My concern with giving starships character talents is that it opens up a can of worms of always adding to it.

And I agree, EotE is lacking in the nuances of starship stats as a whole, not just for starfighters.

Personally, though, I saw the ship as a heavier version of a Y-Wing, which is why it has the stats it does. If someone would share the stats of a B-Wing with me, I would prefer to base it from that, but I have a sinking feeling that it's pretty close, as much higher in the Hull section would make it skirt closer to the freighters.

As for your comment on the weaponry, I may keep that into consideration. I was doing that quite often in my original writeups, but I felt that it was too overkill considering that freighters couldn't do it. . .with the exception of the D5-Mantis, that is.

Still, valid argument that I may consider with all of the heavies.

Edited by LibrariaNPC

During a conversation, a friend of mine made a note that the B-Wing does have a "Heavy Laser Cannon" listed in the AoR Beta, but the damage is that of a Medium Laser Cannon. I checked the AoR Beta Updates, and saw nothing about the B-Wing listed, which makes me wonder if it is called a "heavy" cannon but statted as a medium on purpose, or if it was some sort of mistake on their part.

For the time being, I'll stick with leaving the heavy starfighters with medium cannons, unless someone wishes to shed some light here or offer more opinions.

Edited by LibrariaNPC

Any other random requests or input here?

Best thing I've been trying to do ship related lately is to try to figure out what to do about Uglies, and it's not going horribly well besides just randomly making each individual one on the docket. Some guidelines would be nice, as there have been some Uglies with better firepower than military ships, and some that are just as or more manueverable but tend to be lacking elsewhere.

I think I need to ponder on this one a bit more. . .

But if there are other fighters, let me know! I think I got many of the obscure ones here, and I finished my stats for the Actis Eta-2 Interceptor, ARC-170, V-Wing and the Naboo N-1 Starfighter if anyone is curious on my take on those.

Otherwise, I'll try to start freighters in between paperwork here. . .

Well, since there's been a sudden lack of responses, I'm going to add a few more to see if that will provoke some feedback.

Delta-7 Aethersprite -class light interceptor

250px-Jedi_Starfighter_EpII.png

Ship Class: Delta-7 Aethersprite­ -class light interceptor

Manufacturer: Kuat Systems Engineering

Hyperdrive: None (Class 1 Booster Ring)

Navcomp: Integrated Astromech

Sensor Range: Medium

Ship's Complement: Pilot; integrated astromech droid

Cost/Rarity: 180,000 credits (145,000 credits used)/8 ®

Weapons:

2 “Wing” Mounted Light Laser Cannons (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 5; Critical 3; Range [Close]; Linked 1)

Forward Mounted Concussion Missile Launcher (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [short]; Breach 4, Blast 4, Guided 3, Limited Ammo 12, Slow-Firing 1)

Creator's Note: I was debating on putting the speed up to 5, but from what I was reading, it isn't as fast as a TIE fighter, so it didn't make sense to do so. Instead, I made it almost as manueverable, as the ship does have that going for it.

Edited by LibrariaNPC