Starfighter Creation Thread

By LibrariaNPC, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

I was debating on this one, but the name just said it needed to be done: the Dianoga-class starfighter!

Dianoga-class assault starfighter

250px-Dianogafighter.jpg

Hull type: Starfighter

Ship Class: Dianoga-class assault starfighter

Manufacturer: Koensayr Manufacturing

Hyperdrive: Class 2

Navcomp: Equipped

Sensor Range: Short

Ship's Complement: Pilot

Encumbrance Capacity: 10

Passenger Capacity: 0

Consumables: 3 days

Cost/Rarity: 45,000 credits (12,000 used)/4 ®

Customization Hard Points: 1

Silhouette: 3

Speed: 4

Handling: -1

Defense: 1/1

Armor: 3

Hull Threshold: 12

System Threshold: 8

Weapons:

4 Forward Firing Heavy Laser Cannons (Fire Arc ; Damage 7; Critical 3; Range [short]; Linked 3)

Forward Firing Light Ion Cannon (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 4; Range [short]; Ion)

I'll be stopping here for the evening. I have a few more typed up but I don't have the time to post them with proper formatting/images at the moment.

If all goes well, sometime LATE tonight or early tomorrow evening, I'll have the following posted:

TL-118 Starhammer

M3-A Scyk

G1-M4-C Dunelizard

M12 Kimoglia

And, if I have time after that, you'll see what I did with some fighters from the Old Republic, such as:

Sith Fighter

Star Saber XC-01 starfighter

S-100 Stinger-class starfighter

Aurek -class Tactical Strikefighter

Davaab- type starfighter

I hope you are all enjoying this so far!

For anyone who remembers, General Greivous used one of these. . .which Obi-Wan "borrowed" during Order 66.

Belbullab-22

two rapid-fire triple laser cannons

Are you sure you dont want to do something unique for this one like LINKED auto-blasters or even Light lasers with autofire?

Also, have you attempted to stat out any of the heavier weapons as depicted in the X-wing/Tie Fighter series such as heavy rockets or the Proton Bombs?

Here was my attempt at Bomb. I added the setback to represent the slow speed, perhaps even an upgrade is needed? So its easier to hit LARGE slow targets, but maneuverable craft could even outrun it

1 Proton-Bomb launcher (Fire Arc; Damage 12; Critical 2; Range [short]; Breach 8, Blast 8, Limited Ammo 2, Slow-Firing 2)**

**Receives bbb penalty to attacks & takes 1 round to traverse a range band to SHORT

Edited by Diggles

Helix -class Light Interceptor

Creator's Note : Not going to lie, this one was rather fun. It's basically a freighter (with about half of the cargo space of a YT-1300) that is supposed to be as capable as a fighter.

I'm not certain if +2 Manueverability was "overkill" for a freigter, but I figured it should be better than a YT-2400 if it's being mistaken as a starfighter. . .

Yes +2 maneuver is very much overkill for a silhouette with FREIGHTER hull. Yes its armed with likely intentional to be used offensively, but even the Firespray only has 0 maneuver, and its a PATROL craft with 1/2 the encumbrance you gave this one. I reduced my writeup to -1.

I also reduced Hull/strain to 17/13 to be more inline of an in-between of the Firespray & Skipray.

Shouldn't the E-Wing Starfighter have armour 3 instead of 4 ?

Love the Dianaga fighter, completely forgot how cool it looked. By the way, for the defender, what changes if any, would you make for the older atl interceptor?

For anyone who remembers, General Greivous used one of these. . .which Obi-Wan "borrowed" during Order 66.

Belbullab-22

two rapid-fire triple laser cannons

Are you sure you dont want to do something unique for this one like LINKED auto-blasters or even Light lasers with autofire?

Also, have you attempted to stat out any of the heavier weapons as depicted in the X-wing/Tie Fighter series such as heavy rockets or the Proton Bombs?

Here was my attempt at Bomb. I added the setback to represent the slow speed, perhaps even an upgrade is needed? So its easier to hit LARGE slow targets, but maneuverable craft could even outrun it

1 Proton-Bomb launcher (Fire Arc; Damage 12; Critical 2; Range [short]; Breach 8, Blast 8, Limited Ammo 2, Slow-Firing 2)**

**Receives bbb penalty to attacks & takes 1 round to traverse a range band to SHORT

For the Belbullab-22, I was statting the stock ship, not the Soulless One which Greivous used. I think I left it enough hard points to bring it pretty close to that degree of insanity.

As for the other weapons, I didn't get to that just yet, as they are pretty much alternatives. I may do that after I finish the ships themselves; alternate weapon systems crop up very often on some of these ships, but they aren't stock, which was the goal for this thread.

If it helps, here are the notes I have scribbled on this:

Rockets are based off of Concussion Missiles, ditch guided, add a bigger Damage and/or Breach.

Bombs are Proton Torpedos without Guided and a penalty to hit anything other than a stationary target or a Silhouette 5 target.

"Advanced" versions of the weapon get bonuses based on the advancement: better Damage, better Breach, better Critical, or even better Guided qualities.

Helix -class Light Interceptor

Creator's Note : Not going to lie, this one was rather fun. It's basically a freighter (with about half of the cargo space of a YT-1300) that is supposed to be as capable as a fighter.

I'm not certain if +2 Manueverability was "overkill" for a freigter, but I figured it should be better than a YT-2400 if it's being mistaken as a starfighter. . .

Yes +2 maneuver is very much overkill for a silhouette with FREIGHTER hull. Yes its armed with likely intentional to be used offensively, but even the Firespray only has 0 maneuver, and its a PATROL craft with 1/2 the encumbrance you gave this one. I reduced my writeup to -1.

I also reduced Hull/strain to 17/13 to be more inline of an in-between of the Firespray & Skipray.

I still think it should have at least a 0, it not a +1 Manueverability, as it's supposed to be a freighter with fighter-like capabilities.

As foir the Hull/System Strain, I think you're right. I think I was looking at the YT-2400 when I was putting that one together; it definitely needs to take a downward hit.

Since I'm leaning more toward having the +1 Manuever, perhaps changing it to 17/12 there; it's hull probably isn't as good as the YT-2400 or the Blastboat (which is essentially a capital ship killer) but better than the Firespray.

Think that's a good comprimise?

That I'm still debating on. I heard that the X-Wing in the Beta has Armor 5, which is WAY overkill. My guess was it would be a 3 (tied with the X-95) or a 4 (a slight improvement). As the E-Wing is supposedly a better craft all around, I was guessing it would have Armor 4.

Do you think it would remain as Armor 3 and just have the Hull/System of a bomber, like the Y-Wing?

Love the Dianaga fighter, completely forgot how cool it looked. By the way, for the defender, what changes if any, would you make for the older atl interceptor?

The Dianoga fighter was just fun to consider as it is such a beast of a fighter at a fraction of the cost. . .just don't get hit too hard!

As for the ATL, I would cut the shields, reduce the armor to 1 (maybe 2 if you're feeling REALLY generous), Speed 4, Handling +2, Hull 6, System Strain 7, Max Altitude 250km, and change the weapons from lasers to blasters (and that's if it came stock that way).

There really isn't much written about the ATL as an airspeeder, so I'm going by guesswork and using the current combat speeders we see as examples.

By special request, here's the Defender Starfighter!

Defender Starfighter

250px-DefenderStarfighter-TDS.jpg

I'm itchin to run the Darkstryder Campaign sometime soon, so I've been kicking this one around myself.

Easy stuff:

It's a two seater one pilot, one gunner/copilot.. I guess they are both really good friends, Ewoks, or really friendly Ewoks, because there ain't much room in this thing...also I think I just invented a character: Overly friendly Ewok Pilot with a poor grasp on the concept of personal space....

The original had idiotically good maneuverability in Space, so Speed 5 and Handling 3 sounds perfect, good call.

I would follow the original concept though, and make it's handling only 1 in Atmo (those S-foils fold up in atmo mode, so you lose those nice maneuvering thrusters)

I'd make the HP lower. I know you don't have AoR so to let you know the A-wing has only one.

The 180Degree thing is neat, but I'd leave that as fluff. What you've got there doesn't actually work within the game system RAW.

Hard stuff:

Ok these are the things I've been bangin my head against the desk over, it's a really tough call, and I have no really good solutions myself.

Defenses, Armor, and Thresholds....

D6 stats for reference:

Awing:

Hull 2D+2

Shields: 1D

Defender:

Hull 2D+2

Shields 1D

AoR Beta:

A-wing:

Def 1/-/-/0

Armor 2

HT 6

SS 6

This whole issue is a mess...

Off hand I'd assume that the Defender were intended to be roughly the same on a durability level, but the craft don't really compare well... in D6 they also had the same space maneuverability, and defenses worked differently... the A-wing has a targeting jammer but in FFG it's not all that useful in a fighter to fighter engagement (and actually the Defender as a Sil2 naturally has the same bonus the targeting jammer gives), where it did give a leg up in D6... The defenders two crew is valuable in both systems...

Then you've got the issue that people have already noticed in the AoR forums... one good hit from a TIE on the A-wing and it's out of action. That's no fun... Now with a two man crew the Defender does have better odds... but it's still a pretty dicey ride, and unlike the A-wing it doesn't have the sensors and missiles with range to allow it to fire first...

I dunno, you leave it low and you meet the same objectives, but the plane is just this side of a deathtrap. You boost it and it becomes survivable, but then it's not the fragile thing only the brave, skilled, and insane were willing to fly.... Maybe FFG will update the A-wing down the road and make this hand wringing moot... It's just a really hard call...

That I'm still debating on. I heard that the X-Wing in the Beta has Armor 5, which is WAY overkill. My guess was it would be a 3 (tied with the X-95) or a 4 (a slight improvement). As the E-Wing is supposedly a better craft all around, I was guessing it would have Armor 4.

Do you think it would remain as Armor 3 and just have the Hull/System of a bomber, like the Y-Wing?

The errata of AoR has already corrected the X-Wing to Armour: 3

You can check in the AoR webpage

The errata of AoR has already corrected the X-Wing to Armour: 3

You can check in the AoR webpage

Ah-ha, noted. I'll change it back to Armor 3, then.

Still agree with the Hull/System Strain being at those levels, and the shields being better? Again, guessing that's higher than the X-Wing, which is supposedly the point of the creation of the E-Wing.

I'm itchin to run the Darkstryder Campaign sometime soon, so I've been kicking this one around myself.

Easy stuff:

It's a two seater one pilot, one gunner/copilot.. I guess they are both really good friends, Ewoks, or really friendly Ewoks, because there ain't much room in this thing...also I think I just invented a character: Overly friendly Ewok Pilot with a poor grasp on the concept of personal space....

The original had idiotically good maneuverability in Space, so Speed 5 and Handling 3 sounds perfect, good call.

I would follow the original concept though, and make it's handling only 1 in Atmo (those S-foils fold up in atmo mode, so you lose those nice maneuvering thrusters)

I'd make the HP lower. I know you don't have AoR so to let you know the A-wing has only one.

The 180Degree thing is neat, but I'd leave that as fluff. What you've got there doesn't actually work within the game system RAW.

Hard stuff:

Ok these are the things I've been bangin my head against the desk over, it's a really tough call, and I have no really good solutions myself.

Defenses, Armor, and Thresholds....

D6 stats for reference:

Awing:

Hull 2D+2

Shields: 1D

Defender:

Hull 2D+2

Shields 1D

AoR Beta:

A-wing:

Def 1/-/-/0

Armor 2

HT 6

SS 6

This whole issue is a mess...

Off hand I'd assume that the Defender were intended to be roughly the same on a durability level, but the craft don't really compare well... in D6 they also had the same space maneuverability, and defenses worked differently... the A-wing has a targeting jammer but in FFG it's not all that useful in a fighter to fighter engagement (and actually the Defender as a Sil2 naturally has the same bonus the targeting jammer gives), where it did give a leg up in D6... The defenders two crew is valuable in both systems...

Then you've got the issue that people have already noticed in the AoR forums... one good hit from a TIE on the A-wing and it's out of action. That's no fun... Now with a two man crew the Defender does have better odds... but it's still a pretty dicey ride, and unlike the A-wing it doesn't have the sensors and missiles with range to allow it to fire first...

I dunno, you leave it low and you meet the same objectives, but the plane is just this side of a deathtrap. You boost it and it becomes survivable, but then it's not the fragile thing only the brave, skilled, and insane were willing to fly.... Maybe FFG will update the A-wing down the road and make this hand wringing moot... It's just a really hard call...

I completely forgot about the gunner there. I guess it just didn't make any sense to me as I was looking at it.

I fished out some notes from the Rancor Pit regarding the various ships and went looking at the Defender after you mentioned it and will be making those changes. That said, I don't always think a direct conversion is the way to go, so I went with what I did. I dunno, sometimes I think the stats from one game don't always translate to the other; for example, WEG's version used Hull to denote durability and armor, and shields were added to that mess. I use it to help with certain things, but it's not my only stop as it leads to the same head-desking that you are speaking of.

Now that THAT'S been said, I'm making a few tweaks; I'm adding the gunner, reducing handling in the atmosphere/with the brackets up to +1, and changing the shields from 1/1 to 1/0 (as the Z-95 has shields of 1D in the WEG version, so it would only be fair for it to match).

I set the HP to 3 as, in canon, some people have gotten their hands on the ship and tweaked them with hyperdrives, heavier weaponry, and I can guess better shields. I can see reducing it to a 1 to allow the equipping of a hyperdrive, but I think 2 may be a bit more likely. Opinions?

As for the 180 Spin, I think I'll leave it for the time being. I feel as though it should be there as a maneuver, even if only in space. The fluff described that it would fall apart at high speeds with the brackets down, so I thought it would only be fair to add it.

My goal is to remain true to canon, and if the rules don't exist for it, I'll make it happen. Just my way of always bucking the system.

Personally, you can argue that the Defender has better durability due to better building practices (it was built AFTER the Empire fell, after all), or that it has better quality armor due to the lack of the hyperdrive and missiles, or it has better shields for the same reasons.

As another note, the A-Wing was supposed to be a fragile, but fast, fighter. From what you have shared, it sounds like the A-Wing is closer to a TIE fighter with shields. . .which sounds pretty close to what it was meant to be. I mean, by design, the A-Wing was supposed to be a Hit-And-Fade fighter that would hop in, strike at a target, outrun and outmaneuver any other fighter, and hop out.

Yes, about as fragile as a TIE fighter, but unlike the TIE, it has life support AND an ejection seat, so while it may be a "death trap," it's an effective one that you can survive it being destroyed.

Just my two cents there.

Anyway, anything you would think needs to change about my writeup besides what I'm changing?

Edited by LibrariaNPC

Rest looks fine, I think you got pretty well into the ballpark. I agree that trying to convert this one is probably one of the trickiest I've seen so far, the capabilities, playability, and existing material just don't match up well.

Rest looks fine, I think you got pretty well into the ballpark. I agree that trying to convert this one is probably one of the trickiest I've seen so far, the capabilities, playability, and existing material just don't match up well.

Glad to hear. I'll update it as soon as I can. Getting a bit swamped here in the office, so I should be able to get back to editing/posting within the next few hours.

I hope you'll find a good bit of use for it!

This next one is a bit of a quirky fighter, and I feel as though I don't have it properly set up, so I shall share it with all of you with the hope that with all of us working on it, we can settle on the stats once and for all.

This also has my first attempt statting up a bomb (apparently, these notes were from 2 days ago o_O), so they may not be the most accurate to other parts of our discussions so far.

So, without further ado, I bring to you: The TL-118 StarHammer!

TL-118 StarHammer

250px-Starhammer.JPG

Ship Class: TL-118 StarHammer heavy assault starfighter

Manufacturer: Subpro Corporation

Hyperdrive: Class 3

Ship's Complement: Pilot; Gunner

Encumbrance Capacity: 12

Consumables: 1 week

Cost/Rarity: 72,000 credits (used only)/5

Customization Hard Points: 2

Silhouette: 4

Hull Threshold: 17

System Threshold: 13

Weapons:

2 Front Firing Heavy Laser Cannons (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 7; Critical 3; Range [short])

2 Front Firing Light Laser Cannons (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 5; Critical 3; Range [Close])

2 Front Firing Twin Laser Cannons (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [Close]; Linked 3)

Front Firing Concussion Missile Launcher (Fire Arc ; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [short]; Breach 4, Blast 4, Guided 3, Limited Ammo 8, Slow-Firing 1)

Air-to-Surface Bombs (Fire Arc Dorsal; Damage 8; Critical 2; Range [short]; Breach 6, Blast 6, Limited Ammo 8, Slow-Firing 1)

Note: Upgrade difficulty when targetting a moving target, such as another starfighter.

Next up, we begin our Mandalorian ship theme, starting with the M3-A Scyk!

M3-A Scyk

250px-M3AScyk-SWG.jpg

Ship Class: M3-A Scyk Fighter (Light Interceptor)

Manufacturer: MandalMotors

Navcomp: Not Equipped

Consumables: 2 weeks

Cost/Rarity: 75,000 credits (35,000 used)/4

Speed: 5

Handling: +2

Defense: 1/0

Armor: 2

Hull Threshold: 8

Weapons:

2 Forward Firing Medium Laser Cannons (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [Close]; Linked 1)

Note: The weapon is often replaced based on the needs of the pilot or group. Typical weapons include a light ion cannon, a concussion missile launcher or a proton torpedo launcher.

Creator's Note: The description of this was pretty close to a TIE fighter, but with a few useful things like an actual life support system, hyperdrive, etc. While the TIE may be better in some respects, this one at least has an ejection seat. . .

Edited by LibrariaNPC

Continuing the MandalMotors theme with the G1-M4-C Dunelizard!

G1-M4-C Dunelizard

250px-Dunelizard-SWG.jpg

Ship Class: G1-M4-C Dunelizard fighter

Ship's Complement: Pilot; Co-pilot (Astromech in the Type II variant)

Cost/Rarity: 115,000 credits (55,000 used)/5

Customization Hard Points: 3

Hull Threshold: 10

System Threshold: 9

Weapons:

2 Forward Firing Medium Laser Cannons (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [Close]; Linked 1)

To finish the trifecta: the M12-L Kimogila!

M12-L Kimogila Heavy Fighter

250px-Kimogila.jpg

Ship Class: M12-L Kimogila Fighter

Ship's Complement: Pilot; Astromech droid

Cost/Rarity: 175,000 credits (125,000 used)/7 ®

Handling: 0

Hull Threshold: 11

System Threshold: 1 0

Weapons:

Concussion Missile Launcher (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [short]; Breach 4, Blast 4, Guided 3, Limited Ammo 12, Slow-Firing 1)

Proton Torpedo Launcher (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 8; Critical 2; Range [short]; Breach 6, Blast 6, Guided 2, Limited Ammo 8, Slow-Firing 1)

And now we move into the Old Republic ships!

Sith Fighter

(Old Republic)

250px-Sith_fighter.jpg

Ship Class: Sith Fighter Light Interceptor

Manufacturer: Star Forge

Hyperdrive: None

Navcomp: None

Encumbrance Capacity: 9

Passenger Capacity: Pilot

Consumables: 1 day

Cost/Rarity: Not available for sale (estimated 60,000 on the black market)

Customization Hard Points: 0

Silhouette: 3 (2)

Handling: +3

Defense: 0

Hull Threshold: 6

System Threshold: 6

Weapons:

Note: Unlike the TIE fighter, this ship actually provides minimal life support and an ejection seat. Additionally, the ship was designed to have a small profile to allow many to be transported; while transported with the wings folded, it is considered Silhouette 2.

And now for the flopped Star Saber!

Star Saber XC-01 Starfighter

(Old Republic)

250px-Star_Saber_XC-01_starfighter.jpg

Ship Class: Star Saber CX-01 starfighter

Manufacturer: Republic Fleet Systems

Navcomp: Yes

Encumbrance Capacity: 10

Cost/Rarity: 145,000 credits (75,000 credits used)/8 ® (5 and unrestricted after mass production began)

Customization Hard Points: 4

Hull Threshold: 9

System Threshold: 7

Weapons:

2 Forward Firing Heavy Blaster Cannons (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 5; Critical 4; Range [Close]; Linked 1)

Next up is the ship that most people preferred to the above Star Saber: The S-100 Stinger-class starfighter.

S-100 Stinger -class Starfighter

(Old Republic)

250px-S-100_Stinger-class_starfighter.jp

Hull type: Starfighrer

Ship Class: S-100 Stinger -class Starfighter

Manufacturer: Corellian Engineering Corporation

Navcomp: Yes

Encumbrance Capacity: 15

Consumables: 1 month

Cost/Rarity: 465,000 credits (310,000 used)/8 ®*in 3,997 BBY

Weapons:

2 Forward Firing Heavy Laser Cannons (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 7; Critical 3; Range [short]; Linked 1)

2 Forward Firing Proton Torpedo Launchers (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 8; Critical 2; Range [short]; Breach 6, Blast 6, Guided 2, Limited Ammo 8, Slow-Firing 1; Linked 1)

*: Almost 20 years after the ship was created, the cost plummeted as it was available on the civilian market. The cost changed to 150,000 credits (90,000 used)/5 as of 3,976 BBY.

Next up is the ancient predecessor of the A-Wing and the Delta-7 Aethersprite: The Aurek -class interceptor!

As this hasn't appeared in any of the other games, I'm entirely winging it here!

Aurek -class tactical strikefighter

(Old Republic)

250px-AurekFighter.jpg

Ship Class: Aurek -class tactical strikefighter

Manufacturer: Republic Fleet Systems

Encumbrance Capacity: 5

Cost/Rarity: Estimated 360,000/8 ®

Customization Hard Points: 4

Handling: +3

System Threshold: 9

Weapons:

2 Forward Firing Heavy Laser Cannons (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 7; Critical 3; Range [short]; Linked 1)

2 Forward Firing Proton Torpedo Launchers (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 8; Critical 2; Range [short]; Breach 6, Blast 6, Guided 2, Limited Ammo 6, Slow-Firing 1; Linked 1)

This ship was rather interesting to convert some of the fluff into mechanics, so I hope someone else finds it interesting.

CX-133 Chaos Fighter

(Old Republic)

250px-CX-133_Chaos_fighter.jpg

Ship Class: CX-133 Chaos Fighter

Manufacturer: Koros Spaceworks

Hyperdrive: None

Navcomp: None

Encumbrance Capacity: 9

Consumables: 2 days

Cost/Rarity: 65,000 credits/4

Defense: 0

Weapons:

6 Forward Firing Light Laser Cannons (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 5; Critical 3; Range [Close]; Linked 5)

Special : Due to the volatile nature of the fuel and ammunition, this ship’s explosion acts like a Proton Torpedo to anything in the Blast Radius.

Explosion: Damage 8; Breach 6; Blast 6

Additionally, if rammed into another ship, it add +20 to critical hits on both ships in the collision.