Starfighter Creation Thread

By LibrariaNPC, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

I feel bad for ignoring this for so long (there's been a LOT going on from March until now). With the re-emergence of my Freighter thread , I thought I'd do a touch of Thread Necromancy (bwahahaha!) and bring this one back.

Just an FYI, the Capital Ship thread is on hiatus/scrapped until further notice due to lack of time. I'm currently balancing work, my campaign (with a difficult to schedule group), job hunting, helping a friend with a blog, and attempting to build up my blacksmith portfolio, but if you have a fighter or a freighter request, post them in their respective forums.

That said, here's the Jedi Scout Fighter!

Jedi Scout Fighter

15185834007_7d133cfbea.jpg

Era : Rise of the Empire/Rebellion

Hull type: Starfighter

Ship Class: Jedi Scout Fighter

Manufacturer: Unknown (Republic Fleet Systems? Custom Ship?)

Hyperdrive: Class 1

Navcomp: Equipped (Limited; Astromech serves this purpose)

Sensor Range: Medium

Ship's Complement: Pilot, Co-Pilot/Gunner; Astromech Droid

Encumbrance Capacity: 15

Passenger Capacity: 1 (without co-pilot/gunner)

Consumables: 1 week

Cost/Rarity: Not Available For Sale (Estimated Value at 255,000 credits)

Customization Hard Points: 2

Silhouette: 3

Speed: 5

Handling: +0

Defense: 1/1

Armor: 3

Hull Threshold: 10

System Threshold: 9

Weapons:

4 Wing-Mounted Medium Laser Cannons ( Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [Close]; Linked 3)

1 Rear Mounted Double Laser Cannon ( Fire Arc Turret*; Damage 5; Critical 3; Range [Close]; Linked 1)

*Turret mode is only available with a gunner. Locks to rear fire without a designated gunner.

2 "Shoulder" mounted concussion missile launcher ( Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [short]; Breach 4, Blast 4, Guided 3, Limited Ammo 5, Slow-Firing 1; Liinked 2)

Special: The cockpit can detach to function as an escape pod.

Notes: Outside of seeing the LEGO set and the note about the film appearance (which I didn’t see), there isn’t much to go on. I made it about as competent as the X-Wing, and able to hold a bit more cargo (as the Lego set shows a bit more space available than just in the cockpit). Due to the excessive number of systems, I reduced the System Strain. I was debating on the Hard Points, but left it at 2 due to the ability of possibly adding more internal equipment (such as a stealth system).

Edited by LibrariaNPC

Nice to see that you are not just forgetting us over here lol.

Glad to have you back Libraria

1 Nose mounted concussion missile launcher (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [short]; Breach 4, Blast 4, Guided 3, Limited Ammo 5, Slow-Firing 1)

According to the Wookieepedia description that you linked to, there should be two missile launchers:

The Jedi Scout Fighter features folding wings, four laser cannons, a pair of missile launchers, a rear turret and an Astromech slot, it's cockpit has room for two people, one pilot and one rear gunner, it's cockpit can also detach from the rest of the ship and act as an escape pod.

And that would explain those things on either side of the cockpit, slung under the wings, and which look kind of like the heads of missiles:

Edited by bradknowles

1 Nose mounted concussion missile launcher (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [short]; Breach 4, Blast 4, Guided 3, Limited Ammo 5, Slow-Firing 1)

According to the Wookieepedia description that you linked to, there should be two missile launchers:

The Jedi Scout Fighter features folding wings, four laser cannons, a pair of missile launchers, a rear turret and an Astromech slot, it's cockpit has room for two people, one pilot and one rear gunner, it's cockpit can also detach from the rest of the ship and act as an escape pod.

And that would explain those things on either side of the cockpit, slung under the wings, and which look kind of like the heads of missiles:

I'll look at everything again and fix it up. I was a bit confused about were everything was fitting, as there are obviously two blasters on the wing tips, but I can't tell if those two you are circled are blasters (and if so, I just have to change one number) or missiles (and if so, where are the other blasters?)

There's also a discrepancy in the article, as the blurb written doesn't match the sidebar of armament (which only has the two blasters and turret listed).

I'm all for tweaking it, but now I'm curious if it's 4 forward firing cannons (like an X-Wing) or is it 2 cannons and 2 missile launchers (or perhaps all of the above).

I'll make the fix later; the files are on my other hard drive, and I want to keep them up to date.

I'll look at everything again and fix it up. I was a bit confused about were everything was fitting, as there are obviously two blasters on the wing tips, but I can't tell if those two you are circled are blasters (and if so, I just have to change one number) or missiles (and if so, where are the other blasters?)

There's also a discrepancy in the article, as the blurb written doesn't match the sidebar of armament (which only has the two blasters and turret listed).

I'm all for tweaking it, but now I'm curious if it's 4 forward firing cannons (like an X-Wing) or is it 2 cannons and 2 missile launchers (or perhaps all of the above).

I'll make the fix later; the files are on my other hard drive, and I want to keep them up to date.

The art at http://multihawk.deviantart.com/art/Jedi-Scout-Fighter-484956854 is quite enlightening, especially the comments. Now, to find a higher-resolution picture of the LEGO model.

EDIT: Better yet, watch the video at

and have all your questions answered regarding what goes where.

Edited by bradknowles

Thanks for those links, bradknowles. I'll try to check out the video when I can (can't do videos at work).

That higher resolution image does show that there are multiple weapon emplacements: two on the wing tips, and four around the cockpit. Makes me wonder which is which (and hopefully the video will give me an idea).

That higher resolution image does show that there are multiple weapon emplacements: two on the wing tips, and four around the cockpit. Makes me wonder which is which (and hopefully the video will give me an idea).

Yup. The video makes it clear. The two mounted forward on the wings are laser cannons, as well as the two slung under the wings near the cockpit. The two near the shoulder joint between the wings and the body of the craft are the “spring loaded launchers”, which is what I would consider to be the missile launchers.

Then there’s the turret in the back.

And make sure you leave enough room for a dedicated gunner in the back (like a Y-wing or a Hoth snowspeeder) plus the Astromech droid, and there is apparently a fair amount of storage in the back for all Jek’s gear.

Edited by bradknowles

Yup. The video makes it clear. The two mounted forward on the wings are laser cannons, as well as the two slung under the wings near the cockpit. The two near the shoulder joint between the wings and the body of the craft are the “spring loaded launchers”, which is what I would consider to be the missile launchers.

Then there’s the turret in the back.

And make sure you leave enough room for a dedicated gunner in the back (like a Y-wing or a Hoth snowspeeder) plus the Astromech droid, and there is apparently a fair amount of storage in the back for all Jek’s gear.

Thus why I went with the higher than 5 Encumbrance with the passenger/co-pilot option. I'm wary of making it higher than 15, as Jek doesn't really carry much around beyond a lightsaber, his armor, holocrons, and what I would assume are generic supplies.

I'll take a look at the video when I can and add/change the weapons around.

Outside of that, what do you think of the rest of the writeup?

Otherwise, it seems fine. Basically, numerically equivalent to an X-Wing with a gunner and the turret, one point less strain, better sensor range, one more spare hardpoint, and 50% additional storage capacity.

The BTL-S3 Y-Wing is one point slower, one point less Handling, two more point higher Hull Trauma Threshold, etc….

I might be inclined to take away the spare hardpoints, so that it’s not quite an auto-win that combines the best of the Y-wing with the best of the X-wing. And maybe reduce the Handling to zero instead of +1. I mean, this thing is pretty heavily armed.

But maybe that’s just me.

Otherwise, it seems fine. Basically, numerically equivalent to an X-Wing with a gunner and the turret, one point less strain, better sensor range, one more spare hardpoint, and 50% additional storage capacity.

The BTL-S3 Y-Wing is one point slower, one point less Handling, two more point higher Hull Trauma Threshold, etc….

I figured the ship is like a heavily armed X-Wing and, knowing Jek-14, it was probably a custom job like his Stealth Fighter. Since the name has "Scout Fighter," it made sense to have better sensors than most fighters.

I might be inclined to take away the spare hardpoints, so that it’s not quite an auto-win that combines the best of the Y-wing with the best of the X-wing. And maybe reduce the Handling to zero instead of +1. I mean, this thing is pretty heavily armed.

But maybe that’s just me.

I was on the fence about the hardpoints. A part of me didn't want them there due to it probably being a fully-custom ship, yet there's the chance that it isn't a fully custom ship, meaning there may be room.

I left it at 2 as some things may be fitting but just take up so much HP space.

As for handling, I'll tack that into the next writeup after I view the video. I know it's LEGO so it may be over the top, but it'll give me an idea.

Saw the video, made tweaks accordingly. Let me know if there are other requests or input!

Saw the video, made tweaks accordingly. Let me know if there are other requests or input!

LGTM! Thanks!

LGTM! Thanks!

And thank you for the feedback! This is exactly why I post ships: get feedback, make them to best they possibly can!

So, I'm thinking that the reason you haven't done the K-wing is because you can't, or just that nobody thought of it http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/BTL-S8_K-wing_assault_starfighter

Others I'm interested in is the:

Among others. Starfighters make me really happy.

EDIT: I'm not familiar with it, but maybe the D-type trifoil: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/D-type_trifoil_fighter

It looks interesting and I think there's a picture of it in one of the books.

Edited by Blackbird888

So, I'm thinking that the reason you haven't done the K-wing is because you can't, or just that nobody thought of it http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/BTL-S8_K-wing_assault_starfighter

Others I'm interested in is the:

Among others. Starfighters make me really happy.

EDIT: I'm not familiar with it, but maybe the D-type trifoil: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/D-type_trifoil_fighter

It looks interesting and I think there's a picture of it in one of the books.

An interesting collection of requests! None of them are "off limits" to me, so I'll see what I can do. I'm a bit behind; two interviews down, but I'm preparing the travel logistics and necessary presentation for another one that's out of state. This has kept me busy this month, I will admit.

The Clone Z-95 is essentially a Z-95 with a different paint job, longer nose, only 2 engines, and swapped out the concussion missiles for protone torpedoes. Not really worthy of a writeup as the only differences in the end are fluff.

I have some sketched notes for the Freighter thread I'm trying to finalize, but I'll get to these after I get through some of the backlog.

Edited by LibrariaNPC

Mankvim-814 Light Interceptor

Era: Rise of the Empire

Ship Class: Mankvim-814 Light Interceptor

Manufacturer: Feethan Ottraw Scalable Assemblies

Hyperdrive: None

Navcomp: N/A

Sensor Range: Short

Ship's Complement: Pilot (usually a droid)

Encumbrance Capacity: 6

Passenger Capacity: 0

Consumables: 2 hours

Cost/Rarity: 15,000 credits (6,000 used)/6

Customization Hard Points: 1

Handling: +2

Defense: 1/0

Armor: 2

Hull Threshold: 6

System Threshold: 5

Weapons:

2 Chin Mounted Laser Cannons (Fire Arc ; Damage 5; Critical 3; Range [Close]; Linked 1)

Statter’s Notes : These ships were hastily designed and constructed with “local materials,” and were probably not horribly durable, thus the low Hull and System Thresholds.I mean, they were meant to be mass produced and shipped out quickly, after all.

Scimitar Assault Bomber

Era: New Republic

Ship Class: Scimitar Assault Bomber

Manufacturer: Sienar Fleet Systems

Hyperdrive: None

Navcomp: N/A

Sensor Range: Short

Ship's Complement: Pilot, Bombardier

Encumbrance Capacity: 10

Passenger Capacity: 0

Consumables: 2 Days

Cost/Rarity: 15,000 credits (6,000 used)/6

Customization Hard Points: 1

Handling: +1

Defense: 1/0

Armor: 3

Hull Threshold: 9

System Threshold: 8

Weapons:

*Bombers are often able to swap out armaments as needed. The stock variant is 16 missile racks and a chute for proton grenades or thermal detonators. The stats below are for concussion missiles.

2 Chin Mounted Light Laser Cannons (Fire Arc ; Damage 5; Critical 3; Range [Close]; Linked 1)

16 Ventral firing Concussion Missile Racks (Fire Arc Down; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [short]; Breach 4, Blast 4, Guided 3, Limited Ammo 32, Linked*)

*Due to the number of missile racks, the bombardier may announce how many missiles are fired each time, up to 16 (one for each launcher), allowing for the Linked quality. If all 16 are fired, then this weapon gains the Slow Firing 1 quality.

This weapon may only be used on grounded, stationary, and/or oversized (Silhouette 6+) targets.

Ventral Mounted Bomb Chute (As Thermal Detonator or Proton Grenade, ammunition based on encumbrance or carried by bombardier)

This weapon may only be used on grounded, stationary, and/or oversized (Silhouette 6+) targets.

Special : The forward pod (containing the pilot, gunner, and armed with the laser cannons) can act as an escape pod.

Statter’s Notes : As this is essentially a step-up from a TIE Bomber, I used that as my guideline. Just as durable, but adds shielding, better speed, and a slightly better maneuverability (as written in the description). I tried to fit in everything offered in the description as well as keeping it mostly balanced. Any fighter worth the name can still take this out, but this is a deadlier cousin to the TIE Bomber.

The bomb chute is a guess, honestly, but if someone has a better idea for it, I’m all ears!

I'll see if I can get the K-Wing and the Tri-Foil done in the next few days. Scattered notes but nothing solid just yet (and time is short at the moment).

Enjoy!

Thanks.

I figured the Scimitar was at least as tough as a Y-wing...

I figured the Scimitar was at least as tough as a Y-wing...

Tough to say. It was designed to be a faster, more agile yet still heavily armed version of the TIE bomber, so I didn't see how it could be as tough as the Y-Wing while still having the speed and agility of the TIE family of ships.

I was going by the fluff here, but if you have some insight I missed, I'm all ears!

Speaking of more agile; the Missile Boat had average ('round the same as an X-Wing) maneuverability so should probably be at +1, and was easily as fast as the A-Wing (a competent pilot left it in the dust with careful careful SLAM/Energy management). Given the energy systems, SLAM was probably best portrayed as expending the laser while inflicting slow-loading on it. Use SLAM, no cannon this turn... or the next. Of course it's also about as hard to get your hands on as palpatine's personal holocrons...

Any plans to do the TIE/D? FFG kinda copypasta'd a Y-Wing and called it a day...

Speaking of more agile; the Missile Boat had average ('round the same as an X-Wing) maneuverability so should probably be at +1, and was easily as fast as the A-Wing (a competent pilot left it in the dust with careful careful SLAM/Energy management). Given the energy systems, SLAM was probably best portrayed as expending the laser while inflicting slow-loading on it. Use SLAM, no cannon this turn... or the next. Of course it's also about as hard to get your hands on as palpatine's personal holocrons...

Any plans to do the TIE/D? FFG kinda copypasta'd a Y-Wing and called it a day...

I originally statted them prior to getting AoR, and some of that does show. I was also relying solely on fluff, and outside of SLAM, the ship is only as fast as an X-Wing. I never felt they were as manueverable as they are bombers and not superiority fighters (and fast ones, at that), so I left it at 0 (and considering the Xg-1 was hit with -2 Handling when that was released, a 0 is pretty solid!).

SLAM is something I've been waffling on. As written in fluff, it doubles the sublight speeds, meaning we can take a ship moving at Speed 4-5 to 8-10 at the cost of blasters (and at that speed, you won't really need them). An alternative that's a little more manageable is 1/2 Speed, rounded up, but that still doesn't feel right, and neither does a flat Speed increase.

My notes for SLAM Systems are basically 2HP, 220,000 credits/8 ®, and the waffling between Speed +2, Speed x1.5, or Speed x2 when activated, but lose blasters for X (debating turns equal to speed boost or a flat number). Mods will reduce the turns (maybe) or no mods at all.

As for ships that are officially statted, I won't touch them. While I may not always agree with the stats that FFG publishes in the end, there's not much I can do after printing (but as you can tell, I've tried beforehand) and I respect the designers enough to not be "that guy" when I disagree with them. I leave ideas like that to house rules and call it a day.

You could have SLAM just provide the Full Throttle talent, possibly including the upgraded versions for temporary +1/+2 Speed boosts.

You could have SLAM just provide the Full Throttle talent, possibly including the upgraded versions for temporary +1/+2 Speed boosts.

That could be something to look into. I always forget that talents can be added to equipment in this game (helping a friend run Savage Worlds since my game is on standby, as well as being the distant GM assistant for a Vampire and Ravenloft game; yay crossed wires!).