Starfighter Creation Thread

By LibrariaNPC, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

However, on Ships that have more crew than weapon systems, it is actually much better for the weapon systems to remain un-linked as it allows for a greater number of attack options each round. Versatility isn't always the best, but it's never a bad bet.

This exact comment reminds me as to WHY I haven't even TRIED to stat out the K-Wing or the H-Wing. For those not in the know, the K-Wing is a 5-man bomber, while the H-wing is a two-man fighter/bomber; a little more complex than what I want to deal with for fighters, as they need crews as big as some large frighters.

I love this stuff.

I have been working on very similar ship creation things.

I had never heard of a lot of these but I liked your work ups, so I did some research and started getting to work.

You can see my versions of many of the ships on this thread and a few more in my SHIPYARD .

presented on my custom Ship Sheets.

I hope to keep being inspired by other creative minds like yourselves.

Lets all keep the ideas and info flowing.

Thanks for the link. You've got some good stuff there as well, and it is interesting to see how we differ in views here and there.

I'll keep ships coming as long as people keep liking them. I'm also taking requests of ALL sorts, so please, if there's a fighter you really want to see, send it my way and I'll get to it.

I may be breaking a few rules on the next couple of ships, as the Supa Fighter and the Missile Boats are on my list, and they ride that line between a "large fighter" and a "small freighter." I'll look over the information again and see if I can get those two hammered out tonight.

Edited by LibrariaNPC

Next on the list: the Alpha -class Xg-1 Star Wing (the missile gunboat from the X-Wing/TIE Fighter PC games)

Alpha -class Xg-1 Star Wing

250px-XWA-Xg1-3d-new.jpg

Hull type: Starfighter

Ship Class: Alpha -class Xb-1 Star Wing Starfighter

Manufacturer: Cygnus Spaceworks

Hyperdrive: Class 12

Navcomp: Yes

Sensor Range: Short

Ship's Complement: Pilot

Encumbrance Capacity: 10 (100kg)

Passenger Capacity: 0

Consumables: 3 Days

Cost/Rarity: 125,000 credits (75,000 credits used)/ 7

Customization Hard Points: 2

Silhouette: 3

Speed: 4

Handling: 0

Defense: 2/1

Armor: 3

Hull Threshold: 14

System Threshold: 10

Weapons:

2 Chin-mounted Light Laser Cannons (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 5; Critical 3; Range [Close]; Linked 1)

2 Cockpit-mounted Light Ion Cannons (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 5; Critical 4; Range [Close]; Ion, Linked 1)

2 Front firing Concussion Missile Launchers (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [short]; Breach 4; Blast 4; Guided 3; Limited Ammo 16; Slow-Firing 1, Linked 1)

Note: The Alpha -class Xg-1 was a versatile predecessor to the TIE Defender. This ship has been known to exchange Concussion Missiles for 12 Proton Torpedoes, 8 Heavy Rockets, or 4 Heavy Space Bombs. Others have been known to carry Ion Torpedoes, and one has been recorded to use a Tractor Beam.

Of course, this is all based on the need of the organization using it. This ship didn’t see widespread use, but is versatile in the right hands.

Creation Note: The light blasters listed here may not be accurate. According to the source (Wookieepedia and the TIE Fighter game, which was rather fun IMHO), the blasters on this ship are the same as those on a Z-95 Headhunter, a Y-Wing Starfighter, and the Lambda -class shuttle. As these three ships have different weapons in EotE, I went with the lowest of them as it "made sense" in canon.

It can be argued that one you use Medium Laser Cannons instead, but I personally feel that Light should be for a "stock" Xg-1. Just my humble opinion.

Edited by LibrariaNPC

Of course, one cannnot offer the Xg-1 without it's successor: the Missile Boat!

Missile Boat

250px-MissileBoat-TFDOTEOSS.jpg

Ship Class: Missile Boat

Manufacturer: C ygnus Spaceworks

Hyperdrive: Class 6

Encumbrance Capacity: 10 (100kg)

Consumables: 3 Days

Cost/Rarity: Not Available For Sale (estimated 250,000 credits/8)

Customization Hard Points: 1

Speed: 5

Handling: 0

Defense: 2/2

Armor: 2

Hull Threshold: 9

Weapons:

One Cockpit Mounted Medium Laser Cannon (Fire Arc Foward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [Close])

Two Front-firing Advanced Concussion Missile Launchers (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 7; Critical 3; Range [short]; Breach 4; Blast 4; Guided 4; Limited Ammo 40; Slow-Firing 1, Linked 1)

Two Front-Firing General Purpose Warhead Launchers* (Fire Arc Forward; Linked 1; Slow-Firing 1)

*: The “General Purpose Warhead Launchers” are geared to change the payload as needed. These launchers are capable of carrying the following:

40 Advanced Concussion Missiles (see above)

30 Advanced Proton Torpedoes (Damage 9; Critical 2; Range [shot]; Breach 6; Blast 6; Guided 3)

20 Heavy Rockets (May stat at a later time)

10 Heavy Space Bombs (May stat at a later time)

Note: This ship also comes equipped with the SLAM system. My current rule of thumb is to double the speed for 3 strain per turn it is active.

I like the gunboat write up, but why did you chose light guns instead of medium, or at least 1 set of mediums?

I would see gunboat with a silhouette 4, bigger than starfighter, but I'm probably wrong.

I like the gunboat write up, but why did you chose light guns instead of medium, or at least 1 set of mediums?

The guns there are smaller, chin mounted weapons. Most of them tend to be small to medium, and I guessed small due to the energy output with everything else that has been added (shields, hyperdrive, etc).

Also, the biggest draw of the ship is the number of missiles and optional loadouts, so I decided to downplay the lasers. I can see the argument of raising them to mediums, though, but may just leave that as a case-by-case basis.

One final note: in the writeup, it states that the lasers used are the same used on the Z-95 Headhunter, the Y-Wing and the Lambda Class shuttle. As all three of these have different types of blasters, I went low for the reasons above.

I would see gunboat with a silhouette 4, bigger than starfighter, but I'm probably wrong.

This is where you are wrong. The gunboat's length is 10m, compared to an X-Wing's 12.5m. It was basically built to be a better bomber on the starfighter scale, closer to the Y-Wing than a TIE Bomber. I personally like to see it as a mini Skipray Blastboat, as it is about half of the size yet carries a rather similar loadout.

Also, the biggest draw of the ship is the number of missiles and optional loadouts, so I decided to downplay the lasers. I can see the argument of raising them to mediums, though, but may just leave that as a case-by-case basis.

One final note: in the writeup, it states that the lasers used are the same used on the Z-95 Headhunter, the Y-Wing and the Lambda Class shuttle. As all three of these have different types of blasters, I went low for the reasons above.

Ya I figured something like this. Good job, I'm not modifing your write up at all on this one! I always like to pick the brain so I know how you got to the end result. Thanks Librarian.

How bout Droid Tri-fighter or Vulture now, as minion groups?!

Ya I figured something like this. Good job, I'm not modifing your write up at all on this one! I always like to pick the brain so I know how you got to the end result. Thanks Librarian.

How bout Droid Tri-fighter or Vulture now, as minion groups?!

Thanks for the praise! I'll keep them coming as long as people are enjoying them.

If time permits tonight, I'll get to those two. My biggest problem right now is time; I have an interview tomorrow (Wednesday) before work and I'm getting married on Thursday, so time is a bit tight.

I have two or three more ships to upload I plugged out before sleeping last night, so I'll post them first, then add the Vulture Droid and possibly the Tri-Fighter as as "ships" with some options for the Droid Brain side of things. . .

Now for a ship that one of my old players absolutely loved to use: The Cutlass-9 Patrol Fighter!

Cutlass-9 Patrol Fighter

250px-Cutlass-9_patrol_fighter_SofG.jpg

Ship Class: Cutlass-9 Patrol Fighter

Manufacturer: SoroSuub Corporation

Hyperdrive: Class 2

Encumbrance Capacity: 11

Consumables: 2 weeks

Cost/Rarity: 140,000 credits (65,000 credits used)/6

Customization Hard Points: 4

Handling: +1

Defense: 1/1

System Threshold: 8

Weapons:

2 Front-Firing Medium Laser Cannons (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [Close]; Linked 1)

Front-Firing Proton Torpedo Launcher (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 8; Critical 2; Range [short]; Breach 6; Blast 6; Guided 2; Limited Ammo 5; Slow Firing 1)

And the last one from last night's creation session: The Toscan 8-Q.

I was meaning to make this one for a while as my group from last year had a few of these and a few Cloakshape fighters sitting around after ransacking an old pirate base. I figured if there's even the slim chance of that group getting back together, I should probably stat these up.

Toscan 8-Q

250px-Toscan_AIR.jpg

Ship Class: T oscan 8-Q Starfighter

Manufacturer: Shobquix Yards

Hyperdrive: Class 2

Navcomp: Equipped

Ship's Complement: Pilot*

Encumbrance Capacity: 8*

Passenger Capacity: 0*

Consumables: 1 Day*

Cost/Rarity: 35,000-40,000 credits used (180,000 credits new)/6

Customization Hard Points: 6

Handling: +0

Defense: 1/0

Hull Threshold: 10

System Threshold: 9

Weapons*:

2 chin mounted medium laser cannons (Fire Arc Foward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [Close]; Linked 1)

*: The numbers here are VERY variable based on the aftermarket modifications done to the ship. This was supposed to be a customizable starfighter, possibly the YT-1300 of the starfighter class, but it never took off due to high costs of modifications, sub-par performance from the "standard" parts, the desire for shipyards to do their own customizations, and the niche market for starfighters, especially ones you need to customize yourself to get what you need.

Modifications include more cargo space, passenger/crew additions, more supplies, and much heavier armaments, including a quad laser cannon.

This was already obsolete by the time of the Galactic Empire. Seinar used the frame as a test concept of the Skipray Blastboat, showing some of the potential of the craft.

Edited by LibrariaNPC

A personal favorite of mine: The Manta-class Assault Starfighter from the Tapani Sector.

Manta-Class Assault Starfighter

250px-Manta-class_Assault_Starfighter.jp

Ship Class: Manta-class Assault Starfighter

Manufacturer: Tapani Starship Cooperative

Hyperdrive: None

Navcomp: None

Sensor Range: Close

Ship's Complement: One pilot

Encumbrance Capacity: 8

Consumables: One Week

Cost/Rarity: 95,000 credits/6 (5 in the Tapani Sector)

Speed: 3 (5)

Handling: +1 (0)

Weapons:

2 Chin-Mounted Light Ion Cannons (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 5; Critical 4; Range [Close]; Ion, Linked 1)

2 Wing-Mounted Medium Laser Cannons: (Fire Arc Foward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [Close]; Linked 1)

2 Wing-Mounted Heavy Laser Cannons: (Fire Arc Foward; Damage 7; Critical 3; Range [Close]; Linked 1)

Note: Takes one maneuver action to calibrate between attack mode (listed stats) and interceptor mode (stats in parenthesis). All weapons except the Ion Cannons are deactivated when in Intercept Mode.

You may want to make the attack speed 4 instead of 3 , or else this thing will have trouble out maneuvering even the stockest of freighters in attack mode, which seems a little off for a fighter. Also this change would make it match the original intent as the Manta as it appeared in Lords of the Expanse had the same attack speed as a Y-wing, with intercept mode taking it up to TIE/ln speeds.

Same with the Toscan 8-Q's speed, and Xg-1, and anything else you gave a speed of 3 to. I wouldn't give any fighter a speed below 4 just because of how the game's space combat mechanics work. If it's supposed to be slow and unmaneuverable the game will manage them better if you just stick with low handling ratings.

Also I noticed in another post you're using the MGLT speed as your base. I suggest that where possible (most of them) you use the WEG space rating instead/as well. MGLT speeds largely come from the X-wing series and don't translate as smoothly to RPG terms. By comparison the WEG speeds should translate a little smoother or at least provide a more clear frame of reference.

Edited by Ghostofman

A personal favorite of mine: The Manta-class Assault Starfighter from the Tapani Sector.

Manta-Class Assault Starfighter

250px-Manta-class_Assault_Starfighter.jp

Ship Class: Manta-class Assault Starfighter

Manufacturer: Tapani Starship Cooperative

Hyperdrive: None

Navcomp: None

Sensor Range: Close

Ship's Complement: One pilot

Encumbrance Capacity: 8

Consumables: One Week

Cost/Rarity: 95,000 credits/6 (5 in the Tapani Sector)

Speed: 3 (5)

Handling: +1 (0)

Weapons:

2 Chin-Mounted Light Ion Cannons (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 5; Critical 4; Range [Close]; Ion, Linked 1)

2 Wing-Mounted Medium Laser Cannons: (Fire Arc Foward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [Close]; Linked 1)

2 Wing-Mounted Heavy Laser Cannons: (Fire Arc Foward; Damage 7; Critical 3; Range [Close]; Linked 1)

Note: Takes one maneuver action to calibrate between attack mode (listed stats) and interceptor mode (stats in parenthesis). All weapons except the Ion Cannons are deactivated when in Intercept Mode.

You may want to make the attack speed 4 instead of 3 , or else this thing will have trouble out maneuvering even the stockest of freighters in attack mode, which seems a little off for a fighter. Also this change would make it match the original intent as the Manta as it appeared in Lords of the Expanse had the same attack speed as a Y-wing, with intercept mode taking it up to TIE/ln speeds.

Same with the Toscan 8-Q's speed. I wouldn't give any fighter a speed below 4 just because of how the game's space combat mechanics work. If it's supposed to be slow and unmaneuverable the game will manage them better if you just stick with low handling ratings.

Also I noticed in another post you're using the MGLT speed as your base. I suggest that where possible (most of them) you use the WEG space rating instead/as well. MGLT speeds largely come from the X-wing series and don't translate as smoothly to RPG terms. By comparison the WEG speeds should translate a little smoother or at least provide a more clear frame of reference.

Thanks for the input. I sadly rarely have my WEG stuff on hand when I'm doing this, as I take advantage of slow nights at the library when I sit and do stats.

I did feel a bit out of place trying to reverse engineer the Y-Wing and TIE fighter speeds from the d6 version into EotE, as the numbers weren't exactly very clean (I blame FFG trying to keep the numbers small).

So, besides the tweaks to the Manta and the Toscan, was there anything that you found that was really out of place?

Nothing worth mentioning, nice little resource you've got unfolding here.

Nothing worth mentioning, nice little resource you've got unfolding here.

Thanks.

As per your input, I changed the Manta and the Toscan to Speed 4. I am still leaving the Xg1 at Speed 3 as it feels like a heavier bomber than a Y-Wing and should be slower than a Skipray Blastboat. Any objection there?

Also, did you have any specific requests you'd like to see?

If you want to stay consistent with it's previous presentation the Xg-1 really should be speed 4.

It's presentation has largely been as a multi-role fighter. X-wing, TIE Fighter, even a surprising appearance in a WEG supplement presented it as something that was intended to go head to head with the likes of the Y-wing or X-wing and perform similar mission types.

Even as a fighter-bomber, with Speed 3 the thing won't perform well in this system. I don't know if you have the AoR Beta, but in there the TIE Bomber is listed as Speed 4. The issue comes with what speed represents in this system (both a ships ability to cover ground and it's maneuverability relative to other craft) and the "Gain the Advantage" action. At Speed 3 the Xg-1 would have a very hard time gaining the advantage on any fighter and it would even find GtA on light freighters and capital ships a little difficult.

On the other hand at Speed 4, performing GtA on most "slow" fighters like the Z-95, Y-wing, B-wing and Cloakshape would be Average, GtA on high performance craft like the X-wing, A-wing and TIE/ln would be Hard, and GtA on Civilian craft like the YT-1300, or most capital ships would be Easy.

This is why I suggested that you should almost never make anything that's supposed to be a fighter with a Speed less then 4, it just makes the fighter's effectiveness against other craft too darn poor.

Now for the Skipray, take a look at it's other stats and you'll see what's going on. It's speed is 4, but also note it's handling -1, and it's Sil4. So it can still GtA on a lot of stuff, but you're looking at a setback rather then a bonus when you do. Also as a Sil4, when capital ships start firing at it they are only looking at a base difficulty of Average or Hard in most cases (hence it's heavy shields and armor). The thing isn't supposed to be a heavy fighter, it's more like a PT boat. It's true natural prey is going to be Sil5+ level craft where it can GtA and keep it, and pound them with warheads and/or ion cannons while using it's turret to fend off any starfighters.

If you want to stay consistent with it's previous presentation the Xg-1 really should be speed 4.

It's presentation has largely been as a multi-role fighter. X-wing, TIE Fighter, even a surprising appearance in a WEG supplement presented it as something that was intended to go head to head with the likes of the Y-wing or X-wing and perform similar mission types.

Even as a fighter-bomber, with Speed 3 the thing won't perform well in this system. I don't know if you have the AoR Beta, but in there the TIE Bomber is listed as Speed 4. The issue comes with what speed represents in this system (both a ships ability to cover ground and it's maneuverability relative to other craft) and the "Gain the Advantage" action. At Speed 3 the Xg-1 would have a very hard time gaining the advantage on any fighter and it would even find GtA on light freighters and capital ships a little difficult.

On the other hand at Speed 4, performing GtA on most "slow" fighters like the Z-95, Y-wing, B-wing and Cloakshape would be Average, GtA on high performance craft like the X-wing, A-wing and TIE/ln would be Hard, and GtA on Civilian craft like the YT-1300, or most capital ships would be Easy.

This is why I suggested that you should almost never make anything that's supposed to be a fighter with a Speed less then 4, it just makes the fighter's effectiveness against other craft too darn poor.

Now for the Skipray, take a look at it's other stats and you'll see what's going on. It's speed is 4, but also note it's handling -1, and it's Sil4. So it can still GtA on a lot of stuff, but you're looking at a setback rather then a bonus when you do. Also as a Sil4, when capital ships start firing at it they are only looking at a base difficulty of Average or Hard in most cases (hence it's heavy shields and armor). The thing isn't supposed to be a heavy fighter, it's more like a PT boat. It's true natural prey is going to be Sil5+ level craft where it can GtA and keep it, and pound them with warheads and/or ion cannons while using it's turret to fend off any starfighters.

Good points, overall. I'll make that change, then, and keep that in mind whenever I make new fighters.

So, besides the speed crank to 4, would you still keep the Manueverability at a 0, then? It doesn't seem like a very agile craft, but it doesn't seem as clunky as others.

And in response to AoR: I mentioned it in the first post that I do not have access to it. My money has been tied up with the wedding and similar situations to the point that I was lucky enough to buy EotE this year. AoR will just have to wait until it is officially released to be added to my collection, so I can't pull inspiration from it at this time.

I think leaving it's handling on par with the Y-wing is perfect. The Assault Gunboat is better then the Y-wing, but not by much, I think your giving it a little extra shields accommodates this as well as anything.

Grats on the wedding, and I don't blame you for skipping the AoR beta, I don't plan on getting the FaD beta myself.

If you're looking for more starfighter ideas: the Gauntlet might make an interesting stat block and the Arakyd Helix might be useful to a lot of people.

I think leaving it's handling on par with the Y-wing is perfect. The Assault Gunboat is better then the Y-wing, but not by much, I think your giving it a little extra shields accommodates this as well as anything.

Grats on the wedding, and I don't blame you for skipping the AoR beta, I don't plan on getting the FaD beta myself.

If you're looking for more starfighter ideas: the Gauntlet might make an interesting stat block and the Arakyd Helix might be useful to a lot of people.

Thank you on all counts there.

AoR seems to have some good things going for it that I would LOVE to see in it's entirety (like the various starfighter stats, Capital Ships, etc), but I hear enough here on the forums to make me go "Great, looks like I'll be doing a LOT more house rules." I'm hoping a lot of that gets fixed up before the final product; that makes me feel better about waiting.

And thank you for the two Starfighter ideas. The first I've heard of in passing but didn't have much beyond that. The second may cause me to break my original rule of "No Freighters," because that looks pretty sweet. It may be a good ship to use against my party now that I'm looking at it. . .

Consider them statted once I get the droid ships squared away!

Alright, you asked, and I provided: here's the Vulture Droid!

Variable Geometry Self-Propelled Battle Droid, Mark 1

(aka: Vulture -class droid starfighter)

250px-Droid_Starfighters.png

Hull type: Droid Starfighter

Ship Class: Variable Geometry Self-Propelled Battle Droid, Mark 1

Manufacturer: Haor Chall Engineering (made by Baktoid Armor Workshop during the Clone Wars)

Hyperdrive: No

Navcomp: Not Equipped

Ship's Complement: Droid Brain

Encumbrance Capacity: N/A

Passenger Capacity: N/A

Consumables: N/A

Cost/Rarity: 19,000 credits/8 ®

Speed: 5 (3)

Handling: +4 (+1)

Defense: 0

Hull Threshold: 6

Weapons:

4 Forward Firing Heavy Blaster Cannons (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 5; Critical 4; Range [Close]; Linked 3)

Unavailable In Walker Mode

2 Forward Firing Concussion Missile Launchers (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [short]; Breach 4; Blast 4; Guided 3; Limited Ammo 8; Slow-Firing 1, Linked 1)

Note: Other missile launchers are possible; the CIS used Buzzdroid-filled Discord Missiles, which are as follows:

2 Front Firing Discord Missile Launchers (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 2; Range [short]; Breach 4; Blast 4; Guided 3; Limited Ammo 4; Slow-Firing 1, Ion, Burn 5*)

*The "Burn" quality may be removed with a Daunting Pilot Check or an Upgraded Daunting Gunnery check.

Walker Mode

The Vulture Droids have a “Walker Mode” allowing it to support ground troops. Statistics in parenthesis denote Walker Mode.

*Note: This looks pretty intense, and it is: these ships were designed to do things that human pilots could NOT do. . .but due to their lack of intelligence, they were not horribly good at it. Fast and manueverable to a very solid degree, but piloted by the equivalent of an idiot. . .for the most part, anyway.

Clone Wars Note : There was a note about this thing having 6 cannons, but we only see four in action. I would assume that, during the Clone Wars when Baktoid started production of these instead, they added two more cannons to the hull to be used in Walker Mode.

Use the same cannons as above and link them together in Walker Mode. In Flight Mode, increase the Linked ability to 6.

Droid Brain

The Droid Brain of a Vulture Droid or Tri-Fighter can be statted as any form of opposition. Personally, I would suggest the following as a starting guideline:

Brawn 2

Agility 2

Intellect 1*

Cunning 1*

Willpower 1

Presence 1

Skills: Brawl, Gunnery, Perception, Piloting (Space), Vigilance

Use the starfighter stats for things such as Wounds (Hull), Strain (System Strain), Defense, etc. Remember that this counts as a Starfighter, so small arms will not harm it. It is, essentially, a droid the size of a starfighter.

This setup works well for minion groups, and this can be enhanced to Rival status by adding the Adversary talent, among others, as well as assigning exact skill points.

Special : These droids do not think intelligently like most other droids, but rather by set programming. This leaves plenty of openings for creative players to gain Boost dice or offer Setback dice to the droid brain.

Basically, if the player has an off-the-wall idea that even another human would say "Wait, what was that?", that's a good sign you have something to work with.

*If the droid loses contact with the ship that controls it, it will self destruct. The droid also doesn’t think very much in the first place, leaving a VERY low level of traits. The GM is welcome to change these based on the programming of the droid and the skill of the ones controlling it, of course, but this should be a good baseline.

Edited by LibrariaNPC

To continue the trend, here's the Tri-Fighter!

Droid Tri-Fighter

250px-Tri-fighter.jpg

Hull type: Droid Starfighter

Ship Class: Variable Geometry Self-Propelled Battle Droid, Mark 1

Manufacturer: Colla Designed; Phlac-Arphocc Automata Industries

Hyperdrive: No

Navcomp: Not Equipped

Ship's Complement: Droid Brain

Encumbrance Capacity: N/A

Passenger Capacity: N/A

Consumables: N/A

Cost/Rarity: 20,000 credits (8,000 credits used)/8 ®

Customization Hard Points: 1

Handling: +4

Defense: 0

Hull Threshold: 10

Weapons:

Front Firing Medium Laser Cannon (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [Close]; Linked 3*)

3 Swivel-Mounted Front Firing Light Laser Cannons (Fire Arc Forward (Swivel); Damage 5; Critical 3; Range [Close]; Linked 3*)

*Note: The four cannons CAN be fire-linked together.

Front Firing Buzz Droid Discord Missile Launcher (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 2; Range [short]; Breach 4; Blast 4; Guided 3; Limited Ammo 2-6**; Slow-Firing 1, Ion, Burn 5*)

*The "Burn" quality may be removed with a Daunting Pilot Check or an Upgraded Daunting Gunnery check.

**The ammo is directly tied to the payload assigned to the droid.

Note: I may be underestimating it compared to the Vulture Droids. I'm going by pure fluff here, but it seems to be slower than the Vulture Droids but with a slightly deadlier system installed. I gave it a slightly improved Droid Brain (+1 Cunning) to make up for this.

Droid Brain

The Droid Brain of a Vulture Droid or Tri-Fighter can be statted as any form of opposition. Personally, I would suggest the following as a starting guideline:

Brawn 2

Agility 2

Intellect 1*

Cunning 2*

Willpower 1

Presence 1

Skills: Brawl, Gunnery, Perception, Piloting (Space), Vigilance

Use the starfighter stats for things such as Wounds (Hull), Strain (System Strain), Defense, etc. Remember that this counts as a Starfighter, so small arms will not harm it. It is, essentially, a droid the size of a starfighter.

This setup works well for minion groups, and this can be enhanced to Rival status by adding the Adversary talent, among others, as well as assigning exact skill points.

Special : These droids do not think intelligently like most other droids, but rather by set programming. This leaves plenty of openings for creative players to gain Boost dice or offer Setback dice to the droid brain.

Basically, if the player has an off-the-wall idea that even another human would say "Wait, what was that?", that's a good sign you have something to work with.

*If the droid loses contact with the ship that controls it, it will self destruct. The droid also doesn’t think very much in the first place, leaving a VERY low level of traits. The GM is welcome to change these based on the programming of the droid and the skill of the ones controlling it, of course, but this should be a good baseline.

Edited by LibrariaNPC

I think the problem with these is there has to be a way to represent that they are physically capable and maneuverable, but piloted by fairly basic droids. Best way I can think of this is add multiple setback die in an any opposed pilot check vs a humanoid pilot. Also double the difficulty upgrade when humanoid pilots are using evasive maneuvers.

Why strain so high on the Vulture?

Also here are the stats I use for Discord missile. I dont really see it doing breach damage with its explosion. Raised initial damage so its less effective against armored targets.

The explosion in Revenge of the Sith explodes infront of the targets with no damage in the explosion, just release of buzz-droids.

2 Discord Missile Launchers (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 8; Critical 3; Range [short]; Blast 6; Guided 2; Limited Ammo 2; Slow-Firing 1, Ion, Burn 3*)

Edited by Diggles

I think the problem with these is there has to be a way to represent that they are physically capable and maneuverable, but piloted by fairly basic droids. Best way I can think of this is add multiple setback die in an any opposed pilot check vs a humanoid pilot. Also double the difficulty upgrade when humanoid pilots are using evasive maneuvers.

Why strain so high on the Vulture?

Also here are the stats I use for Discord missile. I dont really see it doing breach damage with its explosion. Raised initial damage so its less effective against armored targets.

The explosion in Revenge of the Sith explodes infront of the targets with no damage in the explosion, just release of buzz-droids.

2 Discord Missile Launchers (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 7; Critical 3; Range [short]; Blast 8; Guided 2; Limited Ammo 2; Slow-Firing 1, Ion, Burn 3*)

I think I got the capable and manueverable part down, but they feel a little OP if the GM decides to be a jerk.

As for the basic droids, I may just drop the traits down to 2's instead of 3's. Make them a bit more "manageable" and still offer a good upward climb for difficulty.

The strain being so high is to represent that it's not only the strain of the ship, but also of the droid itself. It's also probably going to be doing a few manuevers to soak up that strain, and again, it's supposed to do things no living pilot should.

That, and giving it a higher strain gives it a chance to survive the weakness of all ships and droids: Ion.

As for the discord missiles, I only left "Breach" as it does ignore the armor of the ship as it is cutting right to the vital parts, so I would suggest leaving it there.

I think it should have a better critical than a 3 due to, again, it cuts right to the core systems of the ship, so a higher crit makes more sense.

Your Blast is double that of most other missiles, which seems a bit overkill as we see nothing to denote that. Perhaps add a "Persistent" effect that anyone flying through the area gets applied with the Burn? Or maybe we can stat up the Buzzdroids as actual droids and give them a movement through space and/or their own attacks to anything within range?

I understand the Burn reduction, and may consider using it myself.

Yes it cuts right into vital stuff, against a tiny little jedi starfighter with next to no armor. I would take much longer to do the same thing vs a larger or more armored ship. Armor SHOULD help vs droids trying to drill into your hull and disrupt functions.

Sorry I meant to lower the damage of the blast to be 2 lower than initial, to represent you dont get as many droids on you. But I planned on using the BLAST damage as the burn for people who werent the initial target. I upped the damage and shortened burn to make it more serious and since combat typically isnt going to go that many rounds....(just less stuff to track for shorter time makes game go faster).

The way I set mine up was I wanted a disposable fighter like Tie to die in a max of 2 rounds, but a tougher ship like Y-Wing should be able to take 3 rounds. I think a maximum of 2 breach is already generous enough for a little droid with a drill. I think it would be much less effective against a larger target with heavy armor like a freighter, that has much more redundancy & thicker hull.

Ya I would also use a little token on the board to represent the remaining buzz-droids in space.

Edited by Diggles

Yes it cuts right into vital stuff, against a tiny little jedi starfighter with next to no armor. I would take much longer to do the same thing vs a larger or more armored ship. Armor SHOULD help vs droids trying to drill into your hull and disrupt functions.

Sorry I meant to lower the damage of the blast to be 2 lower than initial, to represent you dont get as many droids on you. But I planned on using the BLAST damage as the burn for people who werent the initial target. I upped the damage and shortened burn to make it more serious and since combat typically isnt going to go that many rounds....(just less stuff to track for shorter time makes game go faster).

The way I set mine up was I wanted a disposable fighter like Tie to die in a max of 2 rounds, but a tougher ship like Y-Wing should be able to take 3 rounds. I think a maximum of 2 breach is already generous enough for a little droid with a drill. I think it would be much less effective against a larger target with heavy armor like a freighter, that has much more redundancy & thicker hull.

Ya I would also use a little token on the board to represent the remaining buzz-droids in space.

So no other objections to the current droid loadout? I was tempted to even reduce it to TIE fighter levels of manueverability, and possibly adding a note that the Droid Brain reacts to events, but does not comprehend well to odd things, giving a bonus to the crafty pilots with fun ideas, making it a more ROLEplay than ROLLplay concept, but that's just me.

Well, remember that the Buzzdroids we saw had access to the ship's plans, so they knew where to cut, thus why they moved pretty quickly. Additionally, it is believed that it wouldn't work against a larger ship due to the heavier armor and complex systems, so you may be right that Breach should be reduced/removed. How does this sound?

Front Firing Buzz Droid Discord Missile Launcher (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 7; Critical 2; Range [short]; Blast 4; Guided 3; Limited Ammo 2-6**; Slow-Firing 1, Ion, Burn 3*; Persistent 4)

**The ammo is directly tied to the payload assigned to the droid.

Persistent: When this weapon is fired, it creates an effect (cloud, pool, etc) that remains for a number of rounds equal to the Persistent rating. Anyone engaged with this hazard must make a Daunting check or be affected by the hazard, while anyone at Short range must make a Simple check.

For example, a Discord Missile releases a cloud of Buzzdroids which remain clustered and dangerous for 4 turns. Anyone in Engaged or Short range for the next four rounds will have to roll be affected by the Burn effect of the Buzzdroids.

Thought? I figured this would help with ideas like setting things on fire, puddle slicks, or just a narrative way to handle a minefield or similar problem.

Vulture Droid

Linked 6 is kinda goofy as the odds of getting that many Advantage is pretty low. Why not simplify it and just make them some kind of auto-blasters taking auto-fire and removing the linked quality altogether? Statistically not a whole not of difference, but it will make the stat block cleaner.

Also be careful with using full blown vehicle scaled concussion missiles as the weapon available in walker mode. At Sil3, and most likely operating as a solo minion the thing will struggle to hit dismounted infantry, but the rules for such a hit are awful nasty of it occurs (x10 to the damage number and a suggested +50 to the crit table... not something I'd want to be on the receiving end of).

This is kinda a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation, using vehicle missile means a chance at insta-gibing players and going with something softer like the missile tube stats will make a personal hit more survivable, but limit it's value at the vehicular scale and make the blasters the go-to option almost all the time.

just my 2 cents...