Starfighter Creation Thread

By LibrariaNPC, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

I've been trying my hand at designing starfighters as of late as a way to change things up for my players (as they will only want to add so many TIE fighter silhouettes to their ship), and it also gives me the inspiration as to where else I'll be sending the party.

I'll be posting ships as I stat them in later posts, and would welcome others to add their own favorites to the mix. If anyone has any feedback, I would greatly appreciate hearing it!

I should also note that I am not working with the AoR beta, and after seeing the discussion of the X-Wing on the AoR forums, I decided to ignore it for the time being and use the TIE, Z-95 and Y-Wing as my guides for these ships. I'm up for suggestions if anyone wants to help me tweak them.

I am taking requests, and I'll do my best to stat them up. Starfighters are actually pretty easy thanks to not having to crunch how much cargo space is there and converting it to Encumbrance. Maybe I'll work on Freighters later. . .

Edit 10/29: Thanks for all the feedback so far! I've made a few tweaks on some of the ships (The Manta and Toscan in particular) to make them feel like better fighters. I'm still up for suggestions on how to make them better, so keep the feedback coming!

Edit 11/05 : Keep the requests and feedback coming! I'm adding and tweaking as I move along, and hope to "fix" everything that was wrong.
One thing I realized in my dedication to the canon was that I wasn't checking what Silhouette was required for some of the weaponry. At times, I had a Silhouette 3 ship with a Medium (or even Heavy!) Ion Cannon, which requires a Silhouette 5+ or 6+. This has been remedied in my notes (i.e. the file I'll post to GDocs once I finish the current docket), and I'll fix them here in the near future.

Edit 11/18: It's gotten rather quiet, so I decided to add a few ships to put this back up to the top. I'm starting to run out of ideas of ships that will be worth statting, so if you have a request, please make it. I'm slowly working on my freighter collection, but that's going slowly as I keep running into a snag with the tons-to-encumbrance conversion. Still, keep your eyes open for it!

Edit 12/19: Still going, oddly enough! I started making some final tweaks to my document, and will be converting it to a PDF in the near future. See update information here .

Edit 01/12/2014: I've finally put this whole thing in as a pdf ! There are a few tweaks I made before posting it. See the changes here !

Edit 01/13/2014: Apparently, the link to the pdf via Google Docs wasn't agreeing with ANYONE. I've decided to move it over to Dropbox here . ( EDIT : The link has both of the current chapters available. Enjoy!)

Edit: 03/19/2014: Apparently no one wants to let this thread die! I've added some Uglies as well as notes as to how I determined statistics, and then added on two TIE fighter variants that were requested. They will be updated in the pdf at some point after current requests are complete.

Edit 05/15/2014 : We're still going, little by little. I began posting my non-Star Wars starfighters and will begin to add others in the future.

I am also adding some new fighters from The Old Republic MMO, so expect them soon! The Freighters Chapter has been taking up a good bit of my time lately, so this may be an interesting time split.

Edit 07/16/2014 : After a large number of freighters were statted, I fleshed out two more fighters at the request of one of my players for the game I am running during 7 BBY.

I should also note that for some reason, I can't add any more links, so you're all on your own to find the last few!

Edit 09/21/2015 : I expected this and my Freighter thread to just go out quietly, but due to frequent nods to the thread and some recent activity on the Freighter thread, I thought I'd bring them back out and let people see them/make requests again.

And now a table of contents!

Manta-Class Assault Starfighter

Miy'til Starfighter

Authority IRD Starfighter

I-7 Howlrunner

Zebra Starfighter

StarViper

Blade-32

R-41 Starchaser

Alpha -class Xg-1 Star Wing

Missile Boat

Cutlass-9 Patrol Fighter

Toscan 8-Q

Vulture Droid (By Request)

Droid Tri-Fighter (By Request)

Gauntlet Starfighter (By Request)

Helix- class Light Interceptor (By Request)

Supa Fighter

Drexl -Class Starfighter

Preybird -Class Starfighter

Miy'til Assault Bomber

Razor -class Starfighter

Defender starfighter (By Request)

E-Wing

T-Wing

Belbullab-22

Dianoga-class assault starfighter

TL-118 Starhammer

M3-A Scyk

G1-M4-C Dunelizard

M12-L Kimogila

Sith Fighter (Old Republic)

Star Saber XC-01 starfighter (Old Republic)

S-100 Stinger-class starfighter (Old Republic)

Aurek -class Tactical Strikefighter (Old Republic)

Davaab- type starfighter (Old Republic)

Clutch "Tri-Fighter" (Ugly)

Ixiyen -class fast attack craft (By Request)

Kihraxz and Vaksai Assault Fighters (By Request)

Rihkxyrk Assault Fighter (By Request)

Scurrg H-6 Prototype Bomber (By Request)

Delta-7 Aethersprite -class light interceptor

Eta-2 Actis -class Interceptor

N -1 Starfighter

Aggressive ReConnaissance-170 Starfighter

V-19 Torrent

Alpha-3 Nimbus-Class V-Wing Starfighter

Dagger-Class Starfighter (By Request)

MorningStar Starfighters (-A/-B/-C) (By Request)

Porax-38 / Rogue-Class Starfighter

Sabaoth Starfighter

Sabaoth Defender

C-73 Tracker Starfighter (By Request)

NovaSword Space Superiority Fighter (By Request)

A Treatise On Uglies (Preparing for the section on Uglies)

I stalled on the Uglies, but finally statted them after getting enough requests!

TYE-Wing

X-TIE

X-ceptor

Y-TIE

Z'ceptor

TIE Advanced x1 (by request)

TIE Avenger (by request)

BXY "Boxy" Ugly (by request)

Amphibious Fighter

Savage Star Fighter

Flashfire

Novadive

HH-87 Starhopper

Heavy-95

Jedi Scout Fighter (BY REQUEST)

Non-Star Wars Ships

Babylon 5: Starfury (BY REQUEST!)
Battlestar Galactica: Viper Mark II

Battlestar Galactica: Viper Mar k III

Battlestar Galactica: Viper Mark VII

Edited by LibrariaNPC

A personal favorite of mine: The Manta-class Assault Starfighter from the Tapani Sector.

Manta-Class Assault Starfighter

250px-Manta-class_Assault_Starfighter.jp

Hull type: Starfighter

Ship Class: Manta-class Assault Starfighter

Manufacturer: Tapani Starship Cooperative

Hyperdrive: None

Navcomp: None

Sensor Range: Close

Ship's Complement: One pilot

Encumbrance Capacity: 8

Passenger Capacity: 0

Consumables: One Week

Cost/Rarity: 95,000 credits/6 (5 in the Tapani Sector)

Customization Hard Points: 2

Silhouette: 3

Speed: 4 (5)

Handling: +1 (0)

Defense: 1/1

Armor: 3

Hull Threshold: 9

System Threshold: 9

Weapons:

2 Chin-Mounted Light Ion Cannons (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 5; Critical 4; Range [Close]; Ion, Linked 1)

2 Wing-Mounted Medium Laser Cannons: (Fire Arc Foward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [Close]; Linked 1)

2 Wing-Mounted Heavy Laser Cannons: (Fire Arc Foward; Damage 7; Critical 3; Range [Close]; Linked 1)

Note: Takes one maneuver action to calibrate between attack mode (listed stats) and interceptor mode (stats in parenthesis). All weapons except the Ion Cannons are deactivated when in Intercept Mode.

Edited by LibrariaNPC

Another oddball on the list that players may face: The Miy'til starfighter!

Miy’til Starfighter

180px-Miytil_SotG.jpg

Ship Class: Miy’Til Starfighter

Manufacturer: Olanji/Charubah

Hyperdrive: Class 1.5 (Backup Class 12)

Navcomp: No; Astromech Droid

Sensor Range: Short

Ship's Complement: Pilot, Astromech Droid

Encumbrance Capacity: 6

Passenger Capacity: None

Cost/Rarity: 210,000 credits (85,000 used)/8 (6 in Hapes Consortium)

Customization Hard Points: 4

Speed: 6

Handling: +2

Hull Threshold: 11

System Threshold: 10

Weapons:

2 Front Firing Medium Laser Cannons : (Fire Arc Foward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [Close]; Linked 1)

1 Front Firing Concussion Missile Launcher (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [short]; Breath 4; Blast 4; Guided 3; Limited Ammo 6; Slow-Firing 1)

Note: A “Command” version of this ship adds another linked Front Firing Medium Laser Cannon, another linked Concussion Missile Launcher, and two Front Firing Medium Ion Cannons (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 4; Range [Close]; Ion, Linked 1). This version would still have at least 2 Customization Hard Points remaining.

The Command version is not normally for sale, but Black Market prices would be estimated to be no less than 300,000 credits.

The Storm , a famous Miy’til fighter, was estimated to have over 500,000 credits worth of changes over the standard Miy’til fighter, but this is more of an exception to the rule.

Edited by LibrariaNPC

For those wanting to send their players off to the Corporate Sector, here's the Authority IRD Starfighter!

Authority IRD Starfighter

(Intercept * Reconnaissance * Defense)

200px-Ird.JPG

Ship Class: Corporate Sector Authority IRD Starfighter

Manufacturer: Corporate Sector Authority

Ship's Complement: One Pilot

Encumbrance Capacity: 3

Consumables: One Day

Cost/Rarity: 75,000 credits / 6

Customization Hard Points: 1

Speed: 4

Handling: +1*

Defense: 0

Hull Threshold: 10

Weapons:

2 Forward Firing Medium Blaster Cannons (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 5; Critical 4; Range [Close]; Linked 1).

*: This ships maneuverability becomes -1 in atmosphere.

The IRD-A removes the atmospheric penalty and adds the following:

Forward firing Concussion Missile Launcher (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [short]; Breath 4; Blast 4; Guided 3; Linked 1; Limited Ammo 6; Slow-Firing 1)

Cost: 90,000 credits

A ship that may not come in handy immediately, but may of of interest: The I-7 Howlrunner.

I-7 Howlrunner

250px-Howlrunner_negvv.jpg

Ship Class: I-7 Howlrunner Starfighter

Manufacturer: Incom Corporation

Sensor Range: Close

Ship's Complement: One pilot

Passenger Capacity: 0*

Consumables: Two Days

Cost/Rarity: 165,000 credits /6

Customization Hard Points: 3

Speed: 5

Handling: +3

Weapons:

2 Forward Firing Medium Laser Cannons: (Fire Arc Foward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [Close]; Linked 1)

*A variant can be produced with a second seat for a passenger.

A hyperdrive can be added in exchange for one Customization Hard Point (at an increased cost).

A rather unpopular ship: the Zebra Starfighter.

Zebra Starfighter

Zebra.gif

Ship Class: Zebra Starfighter

Manufacturer: Hyrotil Vehicle Works

Ship's Complement: Pilot

Encumbrance Capacity: 5

Consumables: 1 Day

Cost/Rarity: 80,000 credits (30,000 used)/5

Speed: 4

Handling: -1

Hull Threshold: 8

System Threshold: 8

Weapons:

2 Forward Firing Heavy Laser Cannons (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 7; Range [Close]; Linked 1)

Note: this one was a bit of a challenge, as the narrative said it is not as fast or manueverable as newer fighters, yet it is believed to have the same speed as a TIE fighter or X-Wing. I went with the narration over the MGLT note and went from there.

Edited by LibrariaNPC

The StarViper was added to my list (a stickie note that wasn't on my main scribble sheet), so expect that one soon. Possibly tomorrow, depending on timing in the office.

The Droid fighters are possibilities for me as Starfighters, but they always ride that middle ground.

Buzzdroids are better for someone who is more comfortable with droid statting than I.

EDIT : Now that I think about it, the missile launching the buzzdroids could just be a Concussion Missile that deals system strain instead of standard damage, or possibly a damage over time situation. A thought to consider at the very least!

Edited by LibrariaNPC

And while these threads are ok, if you are truly the Librarian, consider Googledrive or Dropbox to store the info!

And while these threads are ok, if you are truly the Librarian, consider Googledrive or Dropbox to store the info!

That was an intention, but I'm looking for feedback before I throw it out there as a document. Figured if anyone had a better suggestion to make these closer to canon, I'm all ears.

I've never heard of or vaguely recall lots of the ones that have been posted so far. Even the prices on wookiepedia seems just outrageous compared to the variance in the core rulebook of between 38k-Cloakshape and 80k-Ywing

I've never heard of or vaguely recall lots of the ones that have been posted so far. Even the prices on wookiepedia seems just outrageous compared to the variance in the core rulebook of between 38k-Cloakshape and 80k-Ywing

That was part of the goal, as I knew most people would go for the mainline fighters, but not so much for these smaller, region specific craft.

As for the prices, some of them are from WEG, others from WotC. Also note that the price of a Cloakshape is the "used" price, as finding a "new" Cloakshape in the classic trilogy timeline was impossible.

Now, on request: the StarViper from MandalMotors!

250px-StarViper-EaWFoC.jpg

MandalMotors StarViper-class Attack Platform

Ship Class: StarViper-class Attack Platform

Manufacturer: MandalMotors/MandalHypernautics

Hyperdrive: Class 2

Navcomp: Yes

Cost/Rarity: 70,000 credits/6

Handling: +2

System Threshold: 8

Weapons:

2 Front Firing Medium Laser Cannons: (Fire Arc Foward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [Close]; Linked 1)

2 Front Firing Concussion Missile Launchers (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [short]; Breath 4; Blast 4; Guided 3; Limited Ammo 3; Slow-Firing 1)

Notes:

The StarViper has quite a few variants depending on the person requesting it being built. Prince Xizor's Virago , for example, would have a better hyperdrive, shields, proton torpedo launchers (replace Concussion Missile Launchers), and Heavy Laser Cannons (replace Medium Laser Cannons).

The varient used by the Zann Consortium wouldreplace the Concussion Missile Launchers for the following:

2 Front Firing Discord Missile Launchers (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 2; Range [short]; Breach 4; Blast 4; Guided 3; Limited Ammo 3; Slow-Firing 1, Ion, Burn 5*)

*The "Burn" quality may be removed with a Daunting Pilot Check or an Upgraded Daunting Gunnery check.

Discord Missiles explode before connecting with a target and release a swarm of Buzzdroids. The damage listed for the missile is actually for the droids that cover an individual ship and begin to tear apart or shut down important systems, either forcing the ship to crash (and be destroyed), have the air vented (killing the pilot), or just simply disabling the ship for later pickup.

Buzzdroids may also be fought individually by characters or droids, but this comes with it's own inherent risks(stats to come later).

I especially like the burn quality as a 'quick & dirty' way of representing the buzz droids.

I did alter my version a bit to represent more of a heavy fighter/strike fighter type craft

Reduced handling to +1

Reduced speed to 4

Increased hull threshold to 11, strain to 10

Changed the lasers to Heavy, 7 dmg but still CLOSE ranged

increased cost some to 95k

With the 3 hardpoints you gave it, leaves enough room to further customize the craft to lean in more of a superiority role or go all out capital ship killer.

Good job Librarian! Thanks

Edit: I was thinking more about the discord and changed it up some. It should definitely be a bigger threat to smaller craft, so have higher base damage but not breaching. The initial damage is more just the explosion to release the droids (and set the damage of burn, not necessarily to do damage).

2 Forward Discord Missile Launchers (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 8; Critical 2; Range [short]; Blast 5; Guided 3; Limited Ammo 3; Slow-Firing 1, Ion, Burn 3*)

I'm actually going to go watch Revenge of the Sith today to see how those missiles were used.

Edited by Diggles

Another favorite of mine from the X-Wing novels: the Blade-32 from Adumar!

300px-Blade32.jpg

Blade-32 Superiority Fighter

Ship Class: Blade-32 Superiority Fighter

Manufacturer: Tarrvin-on-Kalik

Hyperdrive: None (32-Betas are equipped with Class 2 Hyperdrives)

Navcomp: No (equipped on 32-Beta)

Encumbrance Capacity: 10

Consumables: One Day

Cost/Rarity: 82,000 credits (46,000 used)/6 (on Adumar; expect higher costs and rarity elsewhere depending on era)

Speed: 3

Handling: 0

Hull Threshold: 12

Weapons:

2 Forward Firing Medium Laser Cannons (Fire Arc Foward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [Close])

2 Aft Firing Medium Laser Cannons (Fire Arc Aft; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [Close])

2 Concussion Missile Launchers (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [short]; Breach 4; Blast 4; Guided 3; Limited Ammo 16; Slow-Firing 1)

Notes: The Blade-32 is thought to be a ship with some great potential, and is the best fighter on the planet of Adumar. There is an atmospheric version as well as a space worthy version, but there are very few differences between them otherwise.

I especially like the burn quality as a 'quick & dirty' way of representing the buzz droids.

I did alter my version a bit to represent more of a heavy fighter/strike fighter type craft

Reduced handling to +1

Reduced speed to 4

Increased hull threshold to 11, strain to 10

Changed the lasers to Heavy, 7 dmg but still CLOSE ranged

Lowered the burn to 4..still painful if one of those missiles hit

increased cost some to 95k

With the 3 hardpoints you gave it, leaves enough room to further customize the craft to lean in more of a superiority role or go all out capital ship killer.

Good job Librarian! Thanks

You're welcome!

I was trying to find a balance between the Virago and what we see in Galaxy At War. As the Virago was built from the ground up and was better than the TIE Interceptor, I knew it needed to be dulled down for a common version. Even then, the ship was supposed to be rather versatile and manueverable, thus the stats I gave it.

I think your stats would be, as you said, a heavier version.

For the Buzzdroids, I think Burn 5 works as there's a way to "stop" the burn; an astromech droid can go into combat (I was going to stat them up as Minions), a skilled pilot can shake them off, and a skilled gunner could shoot them off.

Of course, to each his own.

The cost was just an estimate, as I would assume that the majority of R&D for this fighter was paid by Xizor for his personal ship, leaving a bit of "wiggle room" on the price. Again, just my guesswork.

What do you think of the other ships so far? Any thoughts or opinions?

Awesome work thus far! Keep it up! I've asked this in another thread, but I would like to see what you come up with stat wise on this little thing!

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Halo

Awesome work thus far! Keep it up! I've asked this in another thread, but I would like to see what you come up with stat wise on this little thing!

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Halo

I'll see what I can do and throw it into a Freighter/Gunship thread instead, as this isn't a Starfighter. It doesn't look like it'd be very hard, honestly, especially when compared to the other freighters I've thrown together.

If work slows down tonight/I can stat things during my break, I'll see if I can stat the "base" version and PM it to you for your perusal.

Edited by LibrariaNPC

Another one from my scribble sheet: The R-41 Starchaser!

250px-R41-XWA-3dRender.jpg

R-41 Starchaser

Ship Class: R-41 Starchaser

Manufacturer: Hoersch-Kessel Drive, Inc

Hyperdrive: Class 2

Navcomp: Yes

Encumbrance Capacity: 10

Passenger Capacity: 1

Consumables: Two Weeks

Cost/Rarity: 115,000 credits (55,000 used)/6

Handling: +1

Defense: 1/0

Hull Threshold: 8

System Threshold: 10

Weapons:

2 Forward Firing Medium Laser Cannons (Fire Arc Foward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [Close])

2 Concussion Missile Launchers (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [short]; Breach 4; Blast 4; Guided 3; Limited Ammo 8; Slow-Firing 1; Linked 1)

2 Forward Firing Medium Ion Cannons (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 4; Range [Close]; Ion, Linked 1)

Optional Note: The ship lacks most of the internal bracing of other starfighters, and is suseptible to well-placed hits. Increase the critical hit rating by 10. (This also explains the low HT)

Alternatively, the ship is reliable and easy to maintain, granting a boost die to all repairs done.

I approve of this thread

Good work sir

I approve of this thread

Good work sir

Thank you. I have a few more on the side still, but now I'm trying to determine Silhouette issues, as the mechanic for that still seems rather. . .odd.

I love this stuff.

I have been working on very similar ship creation things.

I had never heard of a lot of these but I liked your work ups, so I did some research and started getting to work.

You can see my versions of many of the ships on this thread and a few more in my SHIPYARD .

presented on my custom Ship Sheets.

I hope to keep being inspired by other creative minds like yourselves.

Lets all keep the ideas and info flowing.

A rather unpopular ship: the Zebra Starfighter.

Zebra Starfighter

Zebra.gif

I rather love the Zebra. I love it so much I drew it myself! It turned up in a couple of my Star Wars D6 games as pirate fighters. Thanks to your stats it might now appear in EOTE as well!

zebra-fighter.jpg

I love this stuff.

I had never heard of a lot of these but I liked your work ups, so I did some research and started getting to work.

You can see my versions of many of the ships on this thread and a few more in my SHIPYARD .

I noticed on several of your write ups that you are not combining weapons of the same facing, for example the Arc-170 should read...

Forward Laser Canons (blah blah blah, Linked 1)

I love this stuff.

I noticed on several of your write ups that you are not combining weapons of the same facing, for example the Arc-170 should read...

Forward Laser Canons (blah blah blah, Linked 1)

On starfighters that have only one pilot, i have done my best to make sure that as many of the weapon systems as possible are linked, so that the pilot may get the most for his action.

I have changed the layout of the ARC-170 weapons layout after considering your comment.

However, on Ships that have more crew than weapon systems, it is actually much better for the weapon systems to remain un-linked as it allows for a greater number of attack options each round. Versatility isn't always the best, but it's never a bad bet.