Starfighter Creation Thread

By LibrariaNPC, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Well I only ever saw 4 blasters when watching Revenge of the Sith when they're in flight mode and they were mounted in the legs/wings just like the missiles, so I dunno how it would fire if it was using those legs to walk and the weapons were facing the ground. Does it lift 1 of the 4 legs up to shoot? If so, that would mean only 1 blaster and launcher available at a time.

I havent watched Clone Wars animated series, yet, its on my todo list. Do they ever show the vultures in that?

Good warning with the launcher, not sure how I would handle that in a game.

Edited by Diggles

Yeah they are in Clone Wars too. The issue is that between sources they can't decide if the lasers come out of the holes on the hull, or out of the wings, or both. So sources like Wookieepedia take the safe route and say ALL THE LASERZ ALL THE HOLES! PEW PEW PEW!

So I figure since anything above Linked 4 is going to be hard to activate anyway, just go for Auto-fire. You'll get the same result in the end so the actual physical number of guns on the craft won't matter.

Vulture Droid

Linked 6 is kinda goofy as the odds of getting that many Advantage is pretty low. Why not simplify it and just make them some kind of auto-blasters taking auto-fire and removing the linked quality altogether? Statistically not a whole not of difference, but it will make the stat block cleaner.

Also be careful with using full blown vehicle scaled concussion missiles as the weapon available in walker mode. At Sil3, and most likely operating as a solo minion the thing will struggle to hit dismounted infantry, but the rules for such a hit are awful nasty of it occurs (x10 to the damage number and a suggested +50 to the crit table... not something I'd want to be on the receiving end of).

This is kinda a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation, using vehicle missile means a chance at insta-gibing players and going with something softer like the missile tube stats will make a personal hit more survivable, but limit it's value at the vehicular scale and make the blasters the go-to option almost all the time.

just my 2 cents...

Well, I did say I was designing it from the materials at hand, and supposedly, it has 6 cannons that are linked. It's insanely overkill, but who knows. Perhaps they are there if a system goes down (from a critical, supposedly) or for intimidation purposes?

My concern with adding Auto-Fire is the Minion Swarm effect taking out a whole group. Linked, which uses the same number of success, can only be used on the same target, while Auto-Fire allows you to hit multiple targets. It'll make it a killer in strafing runs and will allow it, on a good roll, to hit and possibly even destroy multiple targets.

As for the missiles, I don't have my notes that I used to back when Episode 1 came out, but if I remember correctly, the lasers were in the wings while the missiles were in the center. As it walks on the wings, it can't really use them.

So yes, it's a beast, but most people on foot wouldn't be picking a fight with it. The thing is essentially a tank that can fly, so I think the powerful vehicle-grade concussion missiles actually makes sense.

If you and Diggles think it would be a better route, I can change two of the blasters from wings to center, but we still have an insanely powerful anti-player tank walking around. Opinions?

Also, I am thinking of "downgrading" the Minion droids to only 2's instead of base 3's for the stats. Thoughts?

Oh, and I'm considering reducing the manueverability on the droids as well. . .

Again, opinions, or are they deadly enough to really represent the fluff?

My concern with adding Auto-Fire is the Minion Swarm effect taking out a whole group. Linked, which uses the same number of success, can only be used on the same target, while Auto-Fire allows you to hit multiple targets.

Riiiiight forgot about that, fair point.

As for the missiles, I don't have my notes that I used to back when Episode 1 came out, but if I remember correctly, the lasers were in the wings while the missiles were in the center. As it walks on the wings, it can't really use them.
So yes, it's a beast, but most people on foot wouldn't be picking a fight with it. The thing is essentially a tank that can fly, so I think the powerful vehicle-grade concussion missiles actually makes sense.

You are correct, guns on the wings, missile on the hull. Problem was some media has shown lasers coming out of the hull, so Wookieepedia panicked and said the hull has lasers and missiles, which is why you end up with the silly 6 gun thing when 4 is probably sufficient.

For the missile it's totally your call. Like I said, you go with the missile tube, it sucks in ship to ship, you go with missiles, it's overkill for people. As long as you are only targeting bunkers and vehicles (perfectly reasonable targets that normal battle droids might need a little rapid help with) then the vehicle missiles are fine.

And now for a request: The Gauntlet Starfighter!

Gauntlet Starfighter

250px-Gauntletsf.JPG

Hull type: Starfighter

Ship Class: Gauntlet Starfighter

Manufacturer: Shobquix Yards

Hyperdrive: None

Navcomp: None

Sensor Range: Short

Ship's Complement: One Pilot, one Co-pilot/Gunner

Encumbrance Capacity: 10

Passenger Capacity: 0

Consumables: 2 days

Cost/Rarity: 165,000 credits (85,000 credits used)/7

Customization Hard Points: 2

Silhouette: 3

Speed: 4

Handling: +1

Defense: 1/1

Armor: 3

Hull Threshold: 10

System Threshold: 9

Weapons:

2 Forward Firing Medium Laser Cannons (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [Close]; Linked 1)

Forward Firing Proton Torpedo Launcher (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 8; Critical 2; Range [short]; Breach 6; Blast 6; Guided 2; Limited Ammo 5; Slow Firing 1)

2 Gunner-Operated Medium Laser Cannon Turrets (Fire Arc Turret; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [Close]; Linked 1)

Creation Note: There wasn't too much on hand about this one, so I went with what little fluff I had and the notes I found on the d6 version of this. Hopefully it's pretty close to what was requested and proves to be a useful 2-man starfighter that ISN'T a bomber. . .

Edited by LibrariaNPC

My concern with adding Auto-Fire is the Minion Swarm effect taking out a whole group. Linked, which uses the same number of success, can only be used on the same target, while Auto-Fire allows you to hit multiple targets.

Riiiiight forgot about that, fair point.

You are correct, guns on the wings, missile on the hull. Problem was some media has shown lasers coming out of the hull, so Wookieepedia panicked and said the hull has lasers and missiles, which is why you end up with the silly 6 gun thing when 4 is probably sufficient.

For the missile it's totally your call. Like I said, you go with the missile tube, it sucks in ship to ship, you go with missiles, it's overkill for people. As long as you are only targeting bunkers and vehicles (perfectly reasonable targets that normal battle droids might need a little rapid help with) then the vehicle missiles are fine.

What I think I'll do is dumb it down only to the 4 cannons and call it good. I'll just act like those other two don't exist.

Besides, during the Clone Wars, it would make sense to improve upon it, which is probably where the extra cannons came from. . .

In fact, I'll write it in as such right now. I think that'll make it pretty balanced as a tank.

Any other input on the Vulture Droids or the TriFighter?

And now a new favourite ship concept, all thanks to Ghostofman: The Helix -class Light Interceptor! I was originally going to NOT do ANY freighters in this thread, but this one was that very nice in between, unlock the Thunderclap and the D-5 Mantis (both are statted and will be available in another thread/document at a later time).

Helix -class Light Interceptor

250px-Helix-AJ5.png

Hull type: Armed Freighter (sometimes classified as a Starfighter )

Ship Class: Helix- class light interceptor

Manufacturer: Arakyd Industries

Hyperdrive: Class 2 (Class 12 backup)

Navcomp: Yes

Ship's Complement: Pilot, Co-pilot/gunner

Encumbrance Capacity: 80

Passenger Capacity: 4

Consumables: 4 Weeks

Cost/Rarity: 215,000 credits (182,000 credits used)/8 (Restricted shortly after release)

Customization Hard Points: 3

Silhouette: 4

Handling: +2

Armor: 4

Hull Threshold: 22

System Threshold: 18

Weapons:

2 belly-mounted medium laser cannon turrets (Fire Arc Turret; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [Close])

2 forward firing medium ion cannons (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 4; Range [Close]; Ion, Linked 1)

Forward firing dorsal-mounted proton torpedo launcher (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 8; Critical 2; Range [short]; Breach 6; Blast 6; Guided 2; Limited Ammo 5; Slow Firing 1)

Note : There was a Beta version released before production halted that improved the hyperdrive from a Class 2 to a Class 1.

Creator's Note : Not going to lie, this one was rather fun. It's basically a freighter (with about half of the cargo space of a YT-1300) that is supposed to be as capable as a fighter.

I'm not certain if +2 Manueverability was "overkill" for a freigter, but I figured it should be better than a YT-2400 if it's being mistaken as a starfighter. . .

Just an FYI, I'll be off the boards until Monday (at the earliest). Getting married on Halloween, so PC time for the weekend is pretty much nil. I will hopefully be back with another ship or two up my sleeve!

Just an FYI, I'll be off the boards until Monday (at the earliest). Getting married on Halloween, so PC time for the weekend is pretty much nil. I will hopefully be back with another ship or two up my sleeve!

Well, congratulations! I must admit, I wouldn't have thought of doing a Halloween wedding (not that Mrs. Flibble would have approved such a date).

Wat? Wedding? Huzzah!

CONGRATULATIONS, ship creating Librarian Non-Player Character man!

Thank you Mr. Flibble and Hishgraphics!

I made up some notes on the Drexl-class starfighter this weekend, so I plan on typing them up tonight when time permits. The Supa-fighter has some guidelines I wrote down, so I'll finish converting that tonight as well.

Anyone else have really random, almost-unheard-of starfighters they would like to see before I start digging through the WEG and d20 books off of my shelf?

As an aside, if people are really interested, I'm considering doing a Freighter thread as well with some of the requests I've been sent here and from my players. Anyone interested in seeing that?

Anyone else have really random, almost-unheard-of starfighters they would like to see before I start digging through the WEG and d20 books off of my shelf?

As an aside, if people are really interested, I'm considering doing a Freighter thread as well with some of the requests I've been sent here and from my players. Anyone interested in seeing that?

Ooh! The Defender fighter please! The D6 stats are in Topps' Star Wars Galaxy Magazine #2.

Ooh! The Defender fighter please! The D6 stats are in Topps' Star Wars Galaxy Magazine #2.

I'll add it to the docket.

I was avoiding New Republic craft for a while now, but I guess I need to bite the bullet and just go with it. I'll put the Defender and E-Wing on the list for after the current notes are cleared. See the first post for the new Coming Soon ships that I am putting the finishing touches on!

I should also add that I'm mainly relying on the writing regarding each ship and using stats from d6/d20 as inspiration. The former games had a much wider number range to work with (WEG had size scaling, dX+Y, and would also use "real" numbers instead of abstractions for things like cargo; d20 used an ever rising number system with "real" numbers for cargo), making it somewhat difficult to really keep the "technological stasis" we see in the universe a reality.

It's also the reason why I ask for feedback to see what people think of what I have, and then I'll fix things up as I go.

By the by, there IS a gdoc coming for this once I finish up enough to make a worthwhile document. . .

Edited by LibrariaNPC

And now for what is arguably the most laugh-inducing name for a ship: The Supa Fighter!

Supa Fighter

250px-Supa-XWA-3dRender.jpg

Ship Class: Supa Fighter

Manufacturer: J oraan Drive Systems

Hyperdrive: Class 2

Navcomp: Equipped

Sensor Range: Close

Ship's Complement: Pilot

Encumbrance Capacity: 8

Consumables: 1 day

Cost/Rarity: 110,000 credits (70,000 credits used)/7

Hull Threshold: 12

System Threshold: 1 0

Weapons:

2 Forward Firing Medium Laser Cannons (Fire Arc Foward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [Close]; Linked 1)

1 Forward Firing Medium Ion Cannon (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 4; Range [Close]; Ion)

2 Forward Firing Concussion Missile Launchers (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [short]; Breach 4; Blast 4; Guided 3; Limited Ammo 8; Slow-Firing 1; Linked 1)

Edited by LibrariaNPC

And now for a ship that gets VERY little love: the Drexl -class starfighter!

Drexl -class Starfighter

(Predecessor to scrapped Preybird)

250px-Drexl-tur.jpg

Ship Class: Drexl -class Starfighter

Manufacturer: SoroSuub Corporation

Ship's Complement: Pilot; Co-pilot/astromech

Encumbrance Capacity: 6 (3 with co-pilot present)

Consumables: 2 days (1 day with co-pilot present)

Cost/Rarity: 165,000 credits (100,000 credits used)/8

Defense: 1/0

Hull Threshold: 10

System Threshold: 8

Weapons:

2 Front-Firing Medium Laser Cannons (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [Close]; Linked 1)

Forward Firing Concussion Missile Launcher (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [short]; Breach 4; Blast 4; Guided 3; Limited Ammo 12; Slow-Firing 1)

Creator's Note: This one wasn't too easy to work with, as it only has one appearance in a book, and it wasn't in a novel. As it used the Saga edition rules (which I am only passingly familiar with), and I didn't have the book it appeared in (just a page scan a friend sent me to work with), I was heavily relying on the description.

As I also know that this ship is a prototype of the Preybird, I was trying to ensure that it was a bit "weaker" in some respects besides the payload, as the Preybird seems to boast a plethora of upgrades.

Next on the block is a ship that never saw mass production from the original designer, but an illegal production operation in 19 ABY: The Preybird Starfighter!

Preybird -class Starfighter

250px-Preybird-SotP_Back.jpg

Ship Class: Preybird -class Starfighter

Manufacturer: SoroSuub Corporation (originally); Cavrilhu Pirates (manufacturer: 19 ABY)

Hyperdrive: Class 3

Ship's Complement: Pilot; Gunner

Encumbrance Capacity: 3

Consumables: 4 days

Cost/Rarity: 200,000 credits (150,000 credits used)/9 (8 around 19 ABY)

Speed: 5

Handling: 0

Armor: 4

Hull Threshold: 11

Weapons:

2 Front-Firing Medium Laser Cannons (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [Close]; Linked 1)

Forward Firing Concussion Missile Launcher (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [short]; Breach 4; Blast 4; Guided 3; Limited Ammo 5; Slow-Firing 1)

Aft Firing Concussion Missile Launcher (Fire Arc Aft; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [short]; Breach 4; Blast 4; Guided 3; Limited Ammo 5; Slow-Firing 1)

As for the defender and no new republic, call it the atl interceptor and be done with it. That was the name from the droids cartoon, and was the 15 BBY version.

As for the defender and no new republic, call it the atl interceptor and be done with it. That was the name from the droids cartoon, and was the 15 BBY version.

I'm aware of the story there, as well as the fact it was supposed to be a Kenner toy and also designed as the Death Star Defender. I'm still statting it as the Defender, as it should be fun to have for guidelines for similar craft.

I was just avoiding New Republic ships until I saw a final version of AoR, but as I've gotten the requests, I decided to just take it and run. I finished up the Defender, Miy'til Bomber and Razor -class starfighter last night as well as some solid notes/near completions of the T-Wing, E-Wing, and most of the Old Republic ships I mentioned on the first post.

They are all on my external which I left on my desk in the office in my rush to get out, so I'll have to post them all tonight.

If I finish that group tonight, I'll probably get into the Mandalorian ships tonight. Not sure if/when I'll get into the "popular" ships, or if I'll ever get around to the Uglies.,

Since I statted up the Miy'til fighter earlier, I thought it was only fair to stat up the bomber. Here's my attempt!

Miy’Til Assault Bomber

250px-MiytilAssaultBomber-SotGSE.jpg

Ship Class: Miy’Til Assault Bomber

Manufacturer: Olanji/Charubah

Hyperdrive: Class 2 (Backup Class 12)

Encumbrance Capacity: 12

Passenger Capacity: None

Consumables: 2 Days

Cost/Rarity: 200,000 credits (85,000 used)/9 (6 in Hapes Consortium)

Customization Hard Points: 1

Hull Threshold: 13

System Threshold: 11

Weapons:

2 Front Firing Medium Laser Cannons : (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [Close]; Linked 1)

2 Front Firing Heavy Concussion Missile Launcher (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 7; Critical 3; Range [short]; Breach 4; Blast 4; Guided 3; Limited Ammo 32; Slow-Firing 1; Linked 1)

Here's my hand at the Razor- class Starfighter.

Razor -class Starfighter

Razorfighter.JPG

Ship Class: R azor -class starfighter

Manufacturer: Starypan/SunHui Spaceworks

Passenger Capacity: 1

Consumables: 1 week

Cost/Rarity: 75,000 credits (45,000 used)/4

Customization Hard Points: 1

Hull Threshold: 9

Weapons:

2 Forward Firing Medium Laser Cannons (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [Close]; Linked 1)

Dual Nose-Mounted Light Ion Cannon (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 5; Critical 4; Range [Close]; Ion; Linked 1)

2 Forward Firing Concussion Missile Launchers (Fire Arc ; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [short]; Breach 4, Blast 4, Guided 3, Limited Ammo 8, Slow-Firing 1, Linked 1)

By special request, here's the Defender Starfighter!

Defender Starfighter

250px-DefenderStarfighter-TDS.jpg

Ship Class: Defender Starfighter

Manufacturer: Republic Engineering Corporation

Encumbrance Capacity: 8

Consumables: 1 Day

Cost/Rarity: Not available for sale. Black Market estimate starting at 180,000/9 ®

Silhouette: 2

Handling: +3 (+1 with brackets/S-foils folded)

System Threshold: 10

Weapons:

3 Front-Firing Medium Laser Cannons (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [Close]; Linked 2)

Special Maneuver: 180 Spin

As a maneuver, the pilot can perform a 180 degree turn by cutting thrust to one of the maneuvering jets and throwing the other at full power.

This can only safely be done in space.

Performing this maneuver in the atmosphere will deal a number of points of Hull damage equal to twice the current speed travelled, -1 for each success on a Hard Pilot roll.

Edited by LibrariaNPC

Speaking of the New Republic, here's a fun little ship: the E-Wing!

E-Wing Starfighter

250px-Ewing_negvv.jpg

Ship Class: E-Wing Escort Starfighter

Manufacturer: FreiTek Inc.

Navcomp: Limited; Astromech

Sensor Range: Medium

Ship's Complement: Pilot and Astromech

Encumbrance Capacity: 15

Consumables: 1 Week

Cost/Rarity: 185,000 credits/8 ®

Speed: 6

Defense: 2/1

Hull Threshold: 12

System Threshold: 11

Weapons:

3 Forward Firing Medium Laser Cannons (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [Close]; Linked 2)

Forward Firing Proton Torpedo Launcher (Fire Arc ; Damage 8; Critical 2; Range [short]; Breach 6, Blast 6, Guided 2, Limited Ammo 16 , Slow-Firing 1)

Note: This version is after all of the kinks have been worked out of the original design. Originally, this could only use an R7 astromech, and the blasters were often weaker and/or had a reduced range.

Creator’s Note: As I don’t have the AoR Beta, and with the argument regarding the X-Wing there, I had to do a lot of guesswork. I basically did an amped up version of the Z-95 as a guideline and went from there to determine the above.

Edited by LibrariaNPC

This one was rather quirky, but fun to actually consider: the T-Wing, a (failed) replacement to the A-Wing.

T-Wing

250px-XWA-TWing-3d-new.jpg

Ship Class: T-Wing Interceptor

Manufacturer: Hoersch-Kessel Drive, Inc.

Hyperdrive: Class 1

Navcomp: Yes

Consumables: 1 Week

Cost/Rarity: 150,000 credits (60,000 used)/7

Speed: 6

Weapons:

2 Forward Firing Proton Torpedo Launchers (Fire Arc ; Damage 8; Critical 2; Range [short]; Breach 6, Blast 6, Guided 2, Limited Ammo 8, Slow-Firing 1)

For anyone who remembers, General Greivous used one of these. . .which Obi-Wan "borrowed" during Order 66.

Belbullab-22

250px-Soulless_One_TCW.jpg

Ship Class: Belbullab-22 Starfighter

Manufacturer: Feethan Ottraw Scalable Assemblies

Hyperdrive: Class 6 (Class 15 backup)

Encumbrance Capacity: 14

Consumables: 1 week

Cost/Rarity: 168,000 credits (125,000 used)/7 ®

Handling: 0

Hull Threshold: 13

System Threshold: 10

Weapons:

2 Forward Firing Light Laser Cannons (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 5; Critical 3; Range [Close]; Linked 1)

Note: The Belbullab-24 Bomber is essentially a Belbullab-22 with two concussion missile launchers and bombs. The Belbullab-23 is supposedly an assault craft with more powerful weaponry; I’d replace the current light laser cannons with heavy laser cannons.