New RRG

By Mokoshkana, in Star Wars: Legion

Very initial reaction, but I'm really liking what I see so far.

Clones lost Standby sharing. Thats the big thing to me.

Field commanders can replace your commander in list building.

2 minutes ago, codytx2 said:

Yep. Things like a T-series in an AAT have really opened up list building for the CIS (giving you a commander almost as tough as Grievous but who can't panic), not to mention the other factions.

Edited by Kirjath08

I am somewhat frustrated by the erratas that essentially change the entire card - not a clarification or rewording, but like "what you have printed isn't what it does anymore at all. Lol"

Compulsory moves can happen at the beginning or end of Speeders' activations.

1 minute ago, ScummyRebel said:

I am somewhat frustrated by the erratas that essentially change the entire card - not a clarification or rewording, but like "what you have printed isn't what it does anymore at all. Lol"

I'm not a fan either, but I'll take it if it keeps units viable in the game or fixes older units that don't work. Removing Plodding from the EWEB makes it so much more useful as an offensive unit and gives it more options on the field besides sideline clearance and gumming.

Just now, Lochlan said:

Compulsory moves can happen at the beginning or end of Speeders' activations.

I hadn't seen that yet. Huge change that I am very happy with.

9 minutes ago, codytx2 said:

*CIS players screaming in delight*

Trooper upgrades are no longer proportional to the base unit in cost. For example, B1s are still 36, but the extra trooper is only 5.

24 minutes ago, codytx2 said:

Which figures qualify as field commanders?

The transport x:open ruling looks fun. The transported unit weapons lose fixed and you can actually perform actions/attacks from there. The occupier and an EWeb might be a fun combo

Just now, buckero0 said:

Which figures qualify as field commanders?

They have to have the "Field Commander" keyword, so upgrades like the T-Series for the AAT, or Aayla Secura for the Saber Tank.

I really like a lot of these changes and how they open up the game.

As an imperial player, I am underwhelmed by the changes. The ATST still requires the pilot from tank expansion stapled to it. Speeder bikes got the minimal boost of choosing when to take the compulsory move, but lack keywords that make them survivable.

Compared to TaunTauns - a unit that has agile AND relentless AND RAM, the dewback has spur for the same cost. The dewback unit is still underpowered compared to the tauns.

Wookies got a major overhaul, but the T47 still doesn't have two weapons that point the same direction for arsenal.

20 minutes ago, evo454 said:

I'm not a fan either, but I'll take it if it keeps units viable in the game or fixes older units that don't work. Removing Plodding from the EWEB makes it so much more useful as an offensive unit and gives it more options on the field besides sideline clearance and gumming.

That was axed in the last rules errata I think. Only the blue text are new changes, the rest were changed previously.

At a glance it looks good. Open carry units having attacks and being targets makes sense. Wookie scale could be effective. Nice extra wounds on pao, bistan and deathtrooper. Would have been nice to be able to use them in corps though. Speeder compulsary could be very interesting

Edited by Alan Noir
7 minutes ago, SoonerTed said:

Compared to TaunTauns - a unit that has agile AND relentless AND RAM, the dewback has spur for the same cost. The dewback unit is still underpowered compared to the tauns.

Dewbacks are 75 (+15 / 10 / 5 points depending on the weapon you choose)
Tauntauns are 95

They certainly do not cost the same.

Edited by Mokoshkana

From my perspective this is really close to perfect as it addresses a couple of issues.

The first is I though upgrades like adding a stormtrooper were too expensive and made list building stagnate to activations over quality of activations. Now you can build a list down one activation but with say 6 more HP, I like that. Plus heavy weapons are cheaper, etc. Once you put the initial cost of a unit into your list upgrades are now more efficient than just adding another unit or more comparable at least.

They actually put good errata into cards. I wasn't sure if they would be willing to do things like giving the Airspeeder surge to crit but they did it and more adding keywords to Chewie, the wookies, amongst others. The changes they made, made things viable to a point and that is cool. For instance I still don't know if wookies are any good but at least they aren't a couch fire anymore. I can't wait to have Han riding around in an airspeeder blasting away.

Point decreases were pretty on point with what the game needed. Han and Jyn needed to be much cheaper and now they are.

It will take me time to figure out if they missed anything but honestly great job. Too bad it is the Swan song for that team but I think they left the game exactly where it needed to be.

9 minutes ago, Mokoshkana said:

Dewbacks are 75 (+15 / 5 / 0 points depending on the weapon you choose)
Tauntauns are 95

They certainly do not cost the same.

At 75 points, they aren't comparable at all, because the dewback has no ranged weapon.

I misread the 15 as 20 for one of the weapons. The dewback is a few points cheaper, but the taun tauns throw 4 red dice (range 2) + all those keywords. you would expect them to cost more than 5 points more (assuming you put a ranged weapon on the dewback). At 80 points (with the t21) the taun tauns are throwing 4 red dice vs 4 white for the dewback.

The dewback is also dealing with more suppression due to spur, and it's not agile like the taun tauns. A 15 point difference between the cheapest ranged weapon on the dewback and naked taun tauns doesn't fix that.

Edited by SoonerTed

No more Dodge or Aim tokens from Scout.

Lots of good fixes, but now I feel like I have to unlearn a bunch of stuff and re-read a 98page document before I play again

4 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

No more Dodge or Aim tokens from Scout.

Lots of good fixes, but now I feel like I have to unlearn a bunch of stuff and re-read a 98page document before I play again

Not at all. Look for the blue text and review that. List building websites will take care of the hard part (point changes and errata) for you.

I expected Vader to get an errata to his card. :(

1 minute ago, Stickynote20 said:

Not at all. Look for the blue text and review that. List building websites will take care of the hard part (point changes and errata) for you.

I wish it was that easy. I haven't played a full game in several months, and mainly skirmish games. Covid has done a number on my gaming time in the last 8 months I've picked up a couple of new games, so I need to declutter the old rules and re-learn them. Especially with Lando and Kallus coming out.

I may print some of these card fixes out and place them over my old cards in their sleeves, to help me and my playing partners remember things have changed.

Just now, drail14me said:

I expected Vader to get an errata to his card. :(

I think the designers liked the "feel" of Vader (and some of the other figures' rules) and just made him cheaper so he get's played.

There were a lot of figures I thought might warrant some change but just got point drops