New RRG

By Mokoshkana, in Star Wars: Legion

14 hours ago, Derrault said:

So, after that rambling bit of dissembling, the Rebel Troopers still cost 40, Stormtroopers still cost 44, and Phase I Clone troopers still cost 52 points, more than the most expensive than either and at the same cost as their more expensive core units (to which they are easily comparable)

Youre only comparing naked units though not the units people actually use. You need to add in heavy weapons. Because why wouldnt you take a heavy weapon? Its extremely inefficient not to. Naked units are the worst theyve ever been in Legion because of how much cheaper personnel and heavy weapons got in the rules update.

The RT-97C is the best overall heavy weapon for Stormtroopers that brings them upto 70 points.

The Z-6 is the best overall heavy weapon for Clonetroopers that brings them upto 75 points

After heavy weapons are factored in, for a mere 5 points over the Stormtroopers, the Clonetroopers get token sharing and fire support. And any advantage the Stormtroopers have over the Clonetroopers also get from Rex (like getting range 4 for a turn). And if the Imperials take their equivalent 90 point Commander, Krennic, well he doesnt compare very favorably to Rex at all.

Since anyone in their right mind would pay 5 points to upgrade Stormtroopers to Clonetroopers if they had the option, that tells me Stormtroopers probably cost too much (or Clone Troopers dont cost enough). It also tells me Krennic should cost less or perhaps Rex should cost more. Depends if you consider Rex the baseline for a 90 point commander or not.

Other units dont compare well for Imperials either like Speeder Bikes vs the Barc Speeder. The twin gunner Barc Speeder is also outright better in almost every situation for the same points cost due to the fact its firepower doesnt get cut in half as soon as it takes 3 damage. The Barc Speeder's survivability is also better overall. Going speed 3 instead of speed 2 isnt isnt always an advantage for the speeder bikes either since a compulsory speed 3 move can be a downside for speeder bikes. Especially since they dont get the option of shooting their main gun in their rear arcs like Barc Speeders do.

Imperials definitely shouldve gotten more points cost reduction than what they got. When you can objectively compare Imperial units to GAR units and the GAR units are that much better theres obviously a problem there.

On 12/14/2020 at 12:18 PM, Uetur said:

I actually think Obi has better command cards now at 3 versus Vader's 6 is what I was trying to say. I think your point that the Empire has a lot of poor units is very valid and comparing Krennic to Rex isn't really close.

Yeah I understood what you meant. I agree all 3 of Obiwans command cards are better than any 3 of Vader's command cards.

All I meant was theres a slight advantage to having 6 command cards over 3 command cards if youre building a Vader-centric list. You can more consistently give Vader face-up tokens. Its not much of an advantage but its still there.

The Snowtrooper Ion weapon is useable now. This is a counter meta play but, if armor is as prevelant as I think it will be then the empire has a cheap and easy answer that doesn't hurt your list if you take 1 or 2 of them.

I think ion weapons were always usable. The problem with them was that there was no guarantee your opponent would bring vehicles so there was always a chance of ion weapons being complete duds in your list. The other problem with ion weapons is for them to be truly effective you need to wound a vehicle with 2 of them to stop a vehicle from shooting. Which granted can be devastating if you can pull it off but its harder to pull off than it sounds.

I do think vehicles with armor will be more common now, specifically I see GAR spamming triple AT-RTs and that probably concerns me the most. Im not sure Ion weapons really counter them though.

I definitely think 10 activation GAR lists with Rex, 6 units of clonetroopers, and 3 AT-RTs are going to be a thing though. Its a pretty disgusting list. As an imperial player its depressing to see GAR get 10 activations that are almost all higher quality than your own. GAR should not be able to reach 10 activations so effectively and sadly the rules update didnt really fix that.

Edited by Khobai

Youre only comparing naked units though not the units people actually use. You need to add in heavy weapons. Because why wouldnt you take a heavy weapon? Its extremely inefficient not to. Naked units are the worst theyve ever been in Legion because of how much cheaper personnel and heavy weapons got in the rules update.

The RT-97C is the best overall heavy weapon for Stormtroopers that brings them upto 70 points.

The Z-6 is the best overall heavy weapon for Clonetroopers that brings them upto 75 points

After heavy weapons are factored in, for a mere 5 points over the Stormtroopers, the Clonetroopers get token sharing and fire support. And any advantage the Stormtroopers have over the Clonetroopers also get from Rex (like getting range 4 for a turn). And if the Imperials take their equivalent 90 point Commander, Krennic, well he doesnt compare very favorably to Rex at all.

Since anyone in their right mind would pay 5 points to upgrade Stormtroopers to Clonetroopers if they had the option, that tells me Stormtroopers probably cost too much (or Clone Troopers dont cost enough). It also tells me Krennic should cost less or perhaps Rex should cost more. Depends if you consider Rex the baseline for a 90 point commander or not.

Other units dont compare well for Imperials either like Speeder Bikes vs the Barc Speeder. The twin gunner Barc Speeder is also outright better in almost every situation for the same points cost due to the fact its firepower doesnt get cut in half as soon as it takes 3 damage. The Barc Speeder's survivability is also better overall. Going speed 3 instead of speed 2 isnt isnt always an advantage for the speeder bikes either since a compulsory speed 3 move can be a downside for speeder bikes. Especially since they dont get the option of shooting their main gun in their rear arcs like Barc Speeders do.

Imperials definitely shouldve gotten more points cost reduction than what they got. When you can objectively compare Imperial units to GAR units and the GAR units are that much better theres obviously a problem there.

Rebel Troopers: 40 points base, 7 point extra trooper, 20 point Z-6 = 67 points for 4 ave dam and white surge saves.

Clone Troopers: 52 points base, 10 points extra trooper, 23 point Z-6 = 85 points for 4 ave dam and red saves.

Stormtroopers: 44 points base, 8 point extra trooper, 22 point DLT-19 = 74 points for 3.625 ave dam and red saves.

Getting the fusion is +18 over the rebels that are comparable for damage, and +11 over the empire that has comparable defense. You’re either paying +18 for the offense, or +11 for the defense (and even then, you aren’t getting nimble or precise)

Edited by Derrault
Fixing manual quotes...or breaking them?