Looking for "A Phantom of Truth"

By Icechamber, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

13 hours ago, CrimeLord Owl said:

Its also Wages of Sin in Circle Undone and Point of No Return in Dream Eaters.

Wages of Sin was the second-to-last pack I was missing; I guess I lucked out when I found one in Canada in late October.

I didn't want to pay $9 US to have a $13 item shipped, so I bought a couple of investigator starter packs too (until then I was still pretending that I was not going to get those until next year, as if I had some restraint) so that it would be $3 shipping per pack instead and thus feel more reasonable even though it really just meant I'd spent more money. Arkham has turned me in to the queen of financial rationalization.

Same, I was like well I could just get 1 starter pack, or I could buy a whole other cycle that I don't need yet just to get the free shipping on orders over $100...

Yeah, right now the first three packs of Circle and last three Dream-Eaters are all running about $50 bucks. Along with Carnevale of Horror.

Five of these up on the ebay now. Would be nice to get some kind of clarity from FFG on their plans moving forward into the next year. I feel like they're leaving the paying customers in the dark and it's not a good feeling. There are much more important things going on in the world, it's madness, I know. Contrary to that though I need a release from this stupid ****, as James Maynard Keenan puts it in "AEnema." To be a leader in commerce and a beacon to good business someone needs to step forward and tell us whats going on. That to me will separate FFG from just another factory farm.

It is an irritation when these things happen. My FLGS just received the Devil's Reef and the War of the Outer Gods yesterday; however, the In Too Deep Mythos pack has not arrived yet due to a shipping issue (Like lost between Asmodee and the distributor... out in the ether...) We have no idea when it will show up. It's not fun waiting for restock... Due to the world situation, I still don't have the Dexter novella yet because of timing and being closed.

Hopefully it will all work out soon... but the frustration is real.

There's really not a shortage of this mythos pack because since Oct. 1 eighteen of them have shown up on ebay and another three or four on Amazon. I think all the game shops bought them up and are sitting on them. The aftermarket sellers are driving the prices, this is not a supply and demand thing. I would suggest not paying the exorbitant prices to possibly drive the price down. Also none of the ebay sellers atm have the "best offer" option on them so they are confident someone is going to pay $149 for a mythos pack.

Edited by CrimeLord Owl
22 minutes ago, CrimeLord Owl said:

There's really not a shortage of this mythos pack because since Oct. 1 eighteen of them have shown up on ebay and another three or four on Amazon. I think all the game shops bought them up and are sitting on them. The aftermarket sellers are driving the prices, this is not a supply and demand thing. I would suggest not paying the exorbitant prices to possibly drive the price down. Also none of the ebay sellers atm have the "best offer" option on them so they are confident someone is going to pay $149 for a mythos pack.

I don't believe that legit game shops are the ones responsible for this. Looking at the sold listings in the US in the last two months, only one is clearly a game shop, and a few more are sellers who clearly specialize in nerdy stuff. The rest seem to be people who aren't selling a ton of other stuff which suggests that either they were aware of the demand and found a copy somewhere local (or got one when FFG briefly had them for sale on 9/24) and bought it with the intent of making a profit., or they had a copy from their own collection and realized they could take it to the bank. All these may be scalpers sitting on stocks of these hoping the price will go up even further, but I don't think we should place blame on the game shops.

Also, I don't understand your comment, "the aftermarket sellers are driving the prices, this is not a supply and demand thing." If you offer something for a price and people pay it, that's the very definition of supply and demand. If the demand isn't high enough to justify the price, then the price goes down. It's not going down, it's going up (these were going for $50-$75 in September and $125-$150 in October/November), so the demand is there. Unless, as you say, people stop paying this price. Which I 100% agree they should do. Don't encourage the scalpers! We can get these for $15 if we're reeeeeally patient.

I wanted to add my experience as another piece of anecdotal evidence that game stores are not responsible for scalping. I got my PoT pack in 9/12 of this year from a Chicago shop, thegiftofgames.com, after looking for it for about a month. I was going through 10 or more pages of search results almost every other day finding nothing until I saw the pack in stock on their website for $14.50 + shipping. I assumed it was an error but went ahead and ordered it, and it turned out it was a legit offering as I got the pack 5 days after. After my order, the pack went out of stock again on their site. So this shop apparently found a single pack laying around in their warehouse and instead of listing it for an inflated price, which they certainly could’ve done at the time, they just offered it for MSRP.

The supply and demand point I'm attempting to convey is the fact that it seems that there IS an ample supply, seeing that easily over 20 have been made available in the past 2 months. That just being on Ebay and Amazon alone, not mentioning other aftermarket spots people been able to land them. So let's just say 14 a month have been sold. At that rate, and taking into account the AVAILABILITY and PRICING of the other harder to get mythos packs "A Phantom of Truth" is grossly overvalued. Either the price of the other packs need to come up or the price of PoT needs to come down. Looking back at the archived sales for PoT demand has remained rather steady for 3 months while supply has also remained steady, matter of fact in my opinion supply has increased as demand has decreased. I am interested in seeing where the market correction will happen. I can point to one auction on ebay on Oct 9 that has driven the price of this pack and potentially all aftermarket prices of Arkham Horror mythos packs. That auction went for $153, before that I remember PoT was selling for between $30 and $70, that auction caused a 2x aftermarket price jump overnight. Again in my estimation "A Phantom of Truth" is WAY overvalued, I would place its cost, according to the market valuation at $45 to $60. The problem is these sellers don't NEED to sell these things to survive so they could leave these postings up for a decade at the overvalued price and not miss it.

I didn't mean to imply that shops were being nefarious in their actions. I think though that they may have been sitting on back stock for a while and are only participating in what the market is dictating.

My caps are for edification I'm not yelling at you lol.

Edited by CrimeLord Owl

Looks like what I assume to be Spain spanish A Phantom of Truth is on Amazon for $25 and change. If that's useful for you go have at it.

6 minutes ago, Norintha said:

Looks like what I assume to be Spain spanish A Phantom of Truth is on Amazon for $25 and change. If that's useful for you go have at it.

¡Muchas gracias! Lamentablemente me español no es lo suficientemente bueno para jugar El Fantasma de la Verdad. 😂

So, here are all the ways I have tried to get a copy of A Phantom of Truth:

1. Refreshed FFG's product page multiple times a day for weeks on end
  2. Regularly checked dozens of other online stores
  3. Made a spreadsheet to track dates that other packs were restocked at FFG vs retail outlets, hoping to predict the date Phantom would become widely available after I missed it at FFG, so that I could refresh even more frequently on the likely dates
  4. Signed up for restock alerts on any site I could find that offered restock alerts
  5. Searched the internet endlessly hoping to find one in a store no one had noticed
  6. Commented on every thread on BGG, Reddit, and this forum where people were looking for this pack, so I'd be tracking all those threads in case someone posted good intel
  7. Created an email-to-text alert so that I would immediately be notified via text of any restock alerts or forum posts mentioning Phantom (so it goes off every time someone posts here)

GUESS WHICH ONE OF THESE BORE FRUIT?

23 minutes ago, coldt0es said:

3. Made a spreadsheet to track dates that other packs were restocked at FFG vs retail outlets, hoping to predict the date Phantom would become widely available after I missed it at FFG, so that I could refresh even more frequently on the likely dates
  4. Signed up for restock alerts on any site I could find that offered restock alerts
  5. Searched the internet endlessly hoping to find one in a store no one had noticed
  6. Commented on every thread on BGG, Reddit, and this forum where people were looking for this pack, so I'd be tracking all those threads in case someone posted good intel
  7. Created an email-to-text alert so that I would immediately be notified via text of any restock alerts or forum posts mentioning Phantom (so it goes off every time someone posts here)

WHICH ONE??? I've done all of those except 3 and 7.

Edited by Jaync
40 minutes ago, coldt0es said:

I'll say #7.

I bet it was 5.

None of the above. ☹️

Do you give up? Hint: no one has guessed yet. (But like Norintha I thought #7 was going to be my ace in the hole.)

I'll guess #2 (since no ones guessed that yet).

11 hours ago, coldt0es said:

Do you give up? Hint: no one has guessed yet. (But like Norintha I thought #7 was going to be my ace in the hole.)

Hmmm, then I'd say it was 3 because I've done all the other ones and I haven't seen anything. Also I feel like if you had found a shop then you would've told us by now.

Edited by Jaync
2 hours ago, Jaync said:

Hmmm, then I'd say it was 3 because I've done all the other ones and I haven't seen anything. Also I feel like if you had found a shop then you would've told us by now.

I 100% would have told you!

Believe it or not, it was #6! Go figure. I made a humorous comment in a Reddit thread where someone was looking for this pack, and some guy who had never had any interaction with me saw two copies in his FLGS, randomly* picked me and someone who replied to my comment, and bought them and sent them to us for retail + postage! SO NICE. He could have made $250 on eBay.

I told my husband I'd given my name and home address to a stranger on the internet, so I was either going to get a really coveted Arkham Horror mythos pack or an envelope of anthrax. But we decided that either way it would be exciting (for me. He doesn't care about AHLCG except that it's kept me from driving everyone else crazy during the pandemic) because who ever gets anthrax these days?

So, I'm sad that I didn't have a source I could share with you all so you could get it too, but I thought you'd appreciate a heartwarming story where one actual nice thing happened in 2020!

* He says it was random. I'm choosing to believe it's because he thought my comment was funny.

37 minutes ago, coldt0es said:

I 100% would have told you!

Believe it or not, it was #6! Go figure. I made a humorous comment in a Reddit thread where someone was looking for this pack, and some guy who had never had any interaction with me saw two copies in his FLGS, randomly* picked me and someone who replied to my comment, and bought them and sent them to us for retail + postage! SO NICE. He could have made $250 on eBay.

I told my husband I'd given my name and home address to a stranger on the internet, so I was either going to get a really coveted Arkham Horror mythos pack or an envelope of anthrax. But we decided that either way it would be exciting (for me. He doesn't care about AHLCG except that it's kept me from driving everyone else crazy during the pandemic) because who ever gets anthrax these days?

So, I'm sad that I didn't have a source I could share with you all so you could get it too, but I thought you'd appreciate a heartwarming story where one actual nice thing happened in 2020!

* He says it was random. I'm choosing to believe it's because he thought my comment was funny.

Oh well that's really nice of that person! I usually try to read all of the reddit threads and comment on phantom of truth related ones, but I didn't see that one. But to be honest I'm not that bummed, I have plenty of content to play and I'm getting more for Christmas. 11 and a half months and finally something good happened in 2020.

On 12/17/2020 at 11:23 AM, Jaync said:

11 and a half months and finally something good happened in 2020.

True! So I wrote a little thing about it on BoardGameGeek and Reddit.

(It's the same thing, I just posted both in case people had a preference of one or the other.) Speaking of which, where's everyone going when the forums here close? I need to know where to find y'all in case I happen upon any secret troves of Phantom of Truth!

I will miss this little thread. I'm coldtoes on BGG and coldt0es on Reddit, so you can find me both places.

On 12/24/2020 at 4:12 PM, coldt0es said:

True! So I wrote a little thing about it on BoardGameGeek and Reddit.

(It's the same thing, I just posted both in case people had a preference of one or the other.) Speaking of which, where's everyone going when the forums here close? I need to know where to find y'all in case I happen upon any secret troves of Phantom of Truth!

I will miss this little thread. I'm coldtoes on BGG and coldt0es on Reddit, so you can find me both places.

I loved your poem! I'm going to be mostly on reddit but I also made an account on BGG and joined the mythos busters discord. I don't really like the interface of BGG and discord is meh for this kind of stuff. On reddit and BGG I'm jonklin05 and on discord I'm jonklin. Hope to see y'all around after the forum closes :(

Check the Asmodee website. Phantom is back in stock!!!

7 hours ago, sarumanthewhite said:

Check the Asmodee website. Phantom is back in stock!!!

I think I missed it arghhh!!!