Looking for "A Phantom of Truth"

By Icechamber, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

I would also advise to check with your local stores as many people have auto orders through distributors and who know how much of that was fulfilled. You would hope that they fill distributor orders before putting it on their website, but who knows these days...

39 minutes ago, Jaync said:

I think I missed it arghhh!!!

The good news is, usually after things restock at FFG, they end up everywhere else in 7-10 days. Now this didn’t happen the last time Phantom showed up — I guess they only had a small supply. But apparently a lot of stuff restocked overnight, so hopefully this time it will, and all your restock alerts will be going off in a week or two.

22 minutes ago, coldt0es said:

The good news is, usually after things restock at FFG, they end up everywhere else in 7-10 days. Now this didn’t happen the last time Phantom showed up — I guess they only had a small supply. But apparently a lot of stuff restocked overnight, so hopefully this time it will, and all your restock alerts will be going off in a week or two.

Yeah I'm holding out hope that this was an actual reprint so they will be sending copies to other places. Also btw I loved forgotten age, it is so much better than Dunwich.

Agree TFA is great.

Okay so on reddit apparently almost all of the people except for a very small amount had their phantom of truth canceled bc of stock. I think that they just found a couple of packs lying around like in August (or maybe September I don't remember exactly).

1 hour ago, Jaync said:

Okay so on reddit apparently almost all of the people except for a very small amount had their phantom of truth canceled bc of stock. I think that they just found a couple of packs lying around like in August (or maybe September I don't remember exactly).

It was September 24 but who's keeping track? 😂

(Did I mention I made spreadsheets?)

Edited by coldt0es
36 minutes ago, coldt0es said:

It was September 24 but who's keeping track? 😂

(Did I mention I made spreadsheets?)

Haha yes you did. I'm thinking this will also mean that there won't be any popping up on other sites soon.

So I'm assuming that you to your copy of phantom, if so have you had a chance to start playing Carcosa? I'm curious to hear your opinions about it.

Edited by Jaync
13 minutes ago, Jaync said:

So I'm assuming that you to your copy of phantom, if so have you had a chance to start playing Carcosa? I'm curious to hear your opinions about it.

I started Carcosa yesterday and finished Curtain Call last night. Great theme so far, and the scenario did some tricky things that I loved/hated. (It's good when the devs are mean! But it's bad when the devs are mean!) And I hit the first rules question I haven't been able to find definitively answered, so we're having a good debate about it on BGG now which is entertaining.

Hopefully I will do The Last King tomorrow.

Also hoping that the FFG Phantom fiasco wasn't because they only had a few copies, but because people just bought them so quickly that it overloaded the system, causing it to sell ones they didn't have. And therefore, that it will show up elsewhere in a week or two. Fingers crossed for you all!

Still no Phantom for me, but I'm down to only missing that, Point of No Return, Where the Gods Dwell and some of the starter decks.

On 12/31/2020 at 8:08 PM, Jaync said:

Keep an eye on the FFG page this week. They are doing an inventory count Today through Monday. If they find anything extra, it may show up on the website.

2 minutes ago, Mimi61 said:

Keep an eye on the FFG page this week. They are doing an inventory count Today through Monday. If they find anything extra, it may show up on the website.

Did anybody have anything planned? Cancel that because you’ll just be constantly refreshing all week.

5 minutes ago, coldt0es said:

Did anybody have anything planned? Cancel that because you’ll just be constantly refreshing all week.

I had just checked to see why we hadn’t been charged for Horror in High Hear last week, which is very strange. They never miss the date they withdraw our money! Our preorder status is still pending, but there was a statement saying they won’t be shipping anything between Jan1-4 because they are doing annual inventory and will resume shipping on Jan 5. So stuff will be late, but who knows what they may find?

56 minutes ago, Mimi61 said:

It seems a very ad hoc approach to inventory management. I sort of imagine them checking behind the sofa, looking through the kitchen cupboards, checking coat pockets and desk drawers like they're looking for their car keys...and occasionally they stumble across the odd Mythos pack.

8 minutes ago, Dr Dee said:

It seems a very ad hoc approach to inventory management. I sort of imagine them checking behind the sofa, looking through the kitchen cupboards, checking coat pockets and desk drawers like they're looking for their car keys...and occasionally they stumble across the odd Mythos pack.

Well if they find a couple of phantom of truths behind the sofa I'm not going to complain.

1 hour ago, Mimi61 said:

They never miss the date they withdraw our money!

Ain't that the truth. It really does send a bad message though, like Asmodee only cares about getting paid and not about us.

Edited by Jaync
3 hours ago, Mimi61 said:

I got a couple missing things so far (assuming the listings were good).

3 hours ago, Mimi61 said:

Ooh yeah Harvey Walters is in stock now, if anybody's missing him. Good tip, Mimi!

3 hours ago, Dr Dee said:

It seems a very ad hoc approach to inventory management. I sort of imagine them checking behind the sofa, looking through the kitchen cupboards, checking coat pockets and desk drawers like they're looking for their car keys...and occasionally they stumble across the odd Mythos pack. can only hope they hit pay dirt.

Exactly.

Dusting in the Warehouse. “I hate these shelves, they are so high and I can never find the ladder....” a few minutes later, “Oh! That’s where I put all those Phantom of Truths.”

In the lunchroom. “Hey, look what I found behind the expired Peanut Butter!”

In the mailroom. “Um...guys? Remember last March when we were suddenly shut down for Covid? There’s a bunch of boxes under this table we never opened when we got back.”

Here’s to hoping that 2021 has a few happy surprises right out the gate.

Edited by Mimi61
On 1/1/2021 at 12:03 AM, Jaync said:

Update: I've made it up to (but have not yet played) the elusive Phantom. So far, I really enjoyed Curtain Call, The Last King, and Unspeakable Oath. Echoes of the Past I found frustrating at the beginning (it's the lowest rated Carcosa pack on BGG so that tracks) — it took me TEN ROUNDS to advance the first act! But there is a cool mechanic at the end (which also saved Jim's neck) so I liked it better after that. I love this campaign thematically; I can see why people really like it! Although I think I'm ultimately going to get stomped. But we'll see.

34 minutes ago, coldt0es said:

Update: I've made it up to (but have not yet played) the elusive Phantom. So far, I really enjoyed Curtain Call, The Last King, and Unspeakable Oath. Echoes of the Past I found frustrating at the beginning (it's the lowest rated Carcosa pack on BGG so that tracks) — it took me TEN ROUNDS to advance the first act! But there is a cool mechanic at the end (which also saved Jim's neck) so I liked it better after that. I love this campaign thematically; I can see why people really like it! Although I think I'm ultimately going to get stomped. But we'll see.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed 3/4 of them! I've also heard many places that echoes is the worst one, but it's good that even on that one there are some cool things. I saw your post on Reddit but I can't exactly remember, are you playing Wendy with Jim?

4 hours ago, Jaync said:

Glad to hear that you enjoyed 3/4 of them! I've also heard many places that echoes is the worst one, but it's good that even on that one there are some cool things. I saw your post on Reddit but I can't exactly remember, are you playing Wendy with Jim?

Yes! My decks felt pretty lousy at first but feel slightly better the last two games. Even though the XP is dismal compared to TFA! In the first 4 scenarios I've gotten 4, 2.5 (5 to split two ways), 0(!!! and another reason to be down on Echoes), and 4. It's also my first time with Delve in a deck and I've drawn it 3 times but haven't been able to play it once. So my upgrade choices are pretty dismal. (Currently deciding between 1x Ornate Bow and 1x Rabbit's Foot (3) for Wendy and I don't know what for Jim — a single Grotesque Statue? I guess it's between that, 1x Shrivelling (3) and 1x Crystalline Elder Sign.) I think I got spoiled by TFA, getting like 7XP per scenario. But I haven't played Jim before (I'm assuming you have!) so it's fun to get used to his playstyle.

4 hours ago, coldt0es said:

Yes! My decks felt pretty lousy at first but feel slightly better the last two games. Even though the XP is dismal compared to TFA! In the first 4 scenarios I've gotten 4, 2.5 (5 to split two ways), 0(!!! and another reason to be down on Echoes), and 4. It's also my first time with Delve in a deck and I've drawn it 3 times but haven't been able to play it once. So my upgrade choices are pretty dismal. (Currently deciding between 1x Ornate Bow and 1x Rabbit's Foot (3) for Wendy and I don't know what for Jim — a single Grotesque Statue? I guess it's between that, 1x Shrivelling (3) and 1x Crystalline Elder Sign.) I think I got spoiled by TFA, getting like 7XP per scenario. But I haven't played Jim before (I'm assuming you have!) so it's fun to get used to his playstyle.

Oh yes, the xp in TFA is so nice. Right now I'm playing with Wendy and Leo and Leo has plenty of stuff to spend xp on but Wendy has a little too much xp and not enough things to spend it on! Jim's really fun, one of my favorites. If you're doing my preferred way of playing Jim which is token manipulation stuff then grotesque statue is really crucial, if you're playing more standard mystic then Shriv (3) is always a good choice.

Crystaline Elder Sign seems like it could be really good with Jim because he usually wants to pull spooky tokens so anything that seals is good. Also it brings his stats to 5/4/4/3 making it so that he can actually use his raw stats when spells aren't needed/available. I haven't tried it yet so this is all speculative but it sounds fun. I'm assuming you're playing on standard difficulty?

For Wendy I haven't tried either of those with her because she hasn't been fighting and I don't have RTNOTZ.

I prefer not to use delve for blind playthroughs because I don't know what the encounter deck is like and also the time is usually tighter so there is less time to delve. In Dunwich it is certainly good because of the tiny amount of xp you get gives, but I'm not completely sold on it outside of there. I generally prefer Arcane Research but now that I think of it Carcosa is (apparently) pretty horror-heavy so avoiding mental trauma might be the better idea.

Edited by Jaync
2 hours ago, Jaync said:

Oh yes, the xp in TFA is so nice. Right now I'm playing with Wendy and Leo and Leo has plenty of stuff to spend xp on but Wendy has a little too much xp and not enough things to spend it on! Jim's really fun, one of my favorites. If you're doing my preferred way of playing Jim which is token manipulation stuff then grotesque statue is really crucial, if you're playing more standard mystic then Shriv (3) is always a good choice.

Crystaline Elder Sign seems like it could be really good with Jim because he usually wants to pull spooky tokens so anything that seals is good. Also it brings his stats to 5/4/4/3 making it so that he can actually use his raw stats when spells aren't needed/available. I haven't tried it yet so this is all speculative but it sounds fun. I'm assuming you're playing on standard difficulty?

For Wendy I haven't tried either of those with her because she hasn't been fighting and I don't have RTNOTZ.

I prefer not to use delve for blind playthroughs because I don't know what the encounter deck is like and also the time is usually tighter so there is less time to delve. In Dunwich it is certainly good because of the tiny amount of xp you get gives, but I'm not completely sold on it outside of there. I generally prefer Arcane Research but now that I think of it Carcosa is (apparently) pretty horror-heavy so avoiding mental trauma might be the better idea.

Yes, Standard, and I definitely want Grotesque Statue in there (I have Scavenging on tap to recycle it and Chthonian Stone holding its place until I can afford it) but I got panicked about enemy management so went with the second Crystalline Elder Sign. It is really nice to get his stats up and sealing the +1 doesn't hurt Wendy too badly. (I'd never wanted to play that card until I actually looked at the odds and realized it's much less detrimental to the other players than I thought.) But my biggest deckbuilding flaw is always trying to do too many things instead of picking a strategy and then hitting it with a laser focus, so I am probably doing that here as well — it's not much of a Grotesque Statue deck when I'm 4 upgrades in and still don't have it! (But really only 3 upgrades, since I couldn't buy anything with my 0 XP one, grr.)

For Wendy I went with a second Rabbit's Foot and that's the one thing I'm feeling really good about. 2x Rabbit's Foot (3) and 2x Double or Nothing (I don't use taboos yet), find a 5-shroud location and investigate with DoN, fail big and then fire the Rabbit's Foot to search the top 9 or 10 cards of your deck. I didn't have a great tutor strategy for survivors but this one is nice.

I don't have Wendy built as a fighter but I'm terrible about splitting my investigators up, so I find I always need my cluever to be able to do a little fighting and my fighter to do a little investigating. So right now she has Fire Axe but I was hoping to upgrade it to Ornate Bow (She's got Skeleton Key now so doesn't need Flashlight as much, so could in theory have a two-handed weapon). I may have to give up that plan though because I don't think there's enough XP to support it.

I had told myself I was being smart not using Delve in blind playthroughs, but then I wasn't using it in the later ones either so really I was just scared. I had a moment of bravery (and was having the same thought about mental trauma in Carcosa) so I went with it, but so far I should have used the slot on something else.

I haven't failed any of the scenarios in Carcosa so far, but I have a weird feeling that I am failing the campaign overall. Remains to be seen...

11 hours ago, coldt0es said:

Yes, Standard, and I definitely want Grotesque Statue in there (I have Scavenging on tap to recycle it and Chthonian Stone holding its place until I can afford it) but I got panicked about enemy management so went with the second Crystalline Elder Sign. It is really nice to get his stats up and sealing the +1 doesn't hurt Wendy too badly. (I'd never wanted to play that card until I actually looked at the odds and realized it's much less detrimental to the other players than I thought.) But my biggest deckbuilding flaw is always trying to do too many things instead of picking a strategy and then hitting it with a laser focus, so I am probably doing that here as well — it's not much of a Grotesque Statue deck when I'm 4 upgrades in and still don't have it! (But really only 3 upgrades, since I couldn't buy anything with my 0 XP one, grr.)

For Wendy I went with a second Rabbit's Foot and that's the one thing I'm feeling really good about. 2x Rabbit's Foot (3) and 2x Double or Nothing (I don't use taboos yet), find a 5-shroud location and investigate with DoN, fail big and then fire the Rabbit's Foot to search the top 9 or 10 cards of your deck. I didn't have a great tutor strategy for survivors but this one is nice.

I don't have Wendy built as a fighter but I'm terrible about splitting my investigators up, so I find I always need my cluever to be able to do a little fighting and my fighter to do a little investigating. So right now she has Fire Axe but I was hoping to upgrade it to Ornate Bow (She's got Skeleton Key now so doesn't need Flashlight as much, so could in theory have a two-handed weapon). I may have to give up that plan though because I don't think there's enough XP to support it.

I had told myself I was being smart not using Delve in blind playthroughs, but then I wasn't using it in the later ones either so really I was just scared. I had a moment of bravery (and was having the same thought about mental trauma in Carcosa) so I went with it, but so far I should have used the slot on something else.

I haven't failed any of the scenarios in Carcosa so far, but I have a weird feeling that I am failing the campaign overall. Remains to be seen...

Scavenging is definitely a good way to recycle the statue (Scavenging(2) also is a super good upgrade if you have it). I am actually the opposite with my deck building, I make my decks too focused on one thing and completely ignore everything else! I recently discovered that my Leo deck had too many allies and ally healing/readying cards and not enough actual combat support! I generally ignore investigator's weaknesses and focus on maximizing their strengths, leading to Finn getting wrecked by treacheries because he had no plan to deal with them.

That's a really good application of DoN I've never thought of using it like that. You obviously don't get the doubled results but letting you search super deep is really good. DoN (when you're trying to succeed the test) is also really good card for Wendy though because she can circumvent the classic rogue problem of autofailing it.

I haven't played with either the Bow or Skeleton Key and I can't decide if they're efficient or not. Their value is a lot harder to quantify that that of something like a flashlight of .45. Hopefully you don't have any more 0xp scenarios so you can buy all of those expensive goodies!

I had that same weird feeling in TFA when at the beginning I was doing really good but getting a lot of vengeance along the way. It turned out to not have that bad of an effect though so I was happy about that.

Edited by Jaync
13 minutes ago, Jaync said:

I haven't played with either the Bow or Skeleton Key and I can't decide if they're efficient or not. Their value is a lot harder to quantify that that of something like a flashlight of .45. Hopefully you don't have any more 0xp scenarios so you can buy all of those expensive goodies!

I had that same weird feeling in TFA when at the beginning I was doing really good but getting a lot of vengeance along the way. It turned out to not have that bad of an effect though so I was happy about that.

I was wary of Skeleton Key because it involves a lot of actions, but I want to be trying new things (hence Delve) so I gave it a go. When Wendy had Leo in play it was amazing! 5-shroud locations are nothing. But it's exceptional (which I hadn't realized until I went to buy it) so you only have one and in this scenario I didn't tutor it up until pretty late. And I didn't have Leo in my opening hand or get Dark Horse until recently, so every time I start saving up to play him I end up having to spend it on Fire Axe or an event. The 2-action penalty definitely hits harder without Leo.

Edit: ALSO I AM PLAYING PHANTOM OF TRUTH RIGHT NOW.
(Well, not right now. Right now I am "working" — can't you tell? But I went to bed in the middle of the scenario so I'm still playing it in my head.)

Edited by coldt0es
forgot to make this comment relevant to the thread
1 hour ago, coldt0es said:

I was wary of Skeleton Key because it involves a lot of actions, but I want to be trying new things (hence Delve) so I gave it a go. When Wendy had Leo in play it was amazing! 5-shroud locations are nothing. But it's exceptional (which I hadn't realized until I went to buy it) so you only have one and in this scenario I didn't tutor it up until pretty late. And I didn't have Leo in my opening hand or get Dark Horse until recently, so every time I start saving up to play him I end up having to spend it on Fire Axe or an event. The 2-action penalty definitely hits harder without Leo.

Edit: ALSO I AM PLAYING PHANTOM OF TRUTH RIGHT NOW.
(Well, not right now. Right now I am "working" — can't you tell? But I went to bed in the middle of the scenario so I'm still playing it in my head.)

The Key also seems really solid in 3 or 4 player but it is kinda unreliable because there is only 1. How's phantom (please tell me it's worth it)? Also, did you go doubt or conviction?

Edited by Jaync