Looking for "A Phantom of Truth"

By Icechamber, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

I am missing one Mythos pack from the Carcaso cycle... A Phantom of Truth.

I am hoping someone out there might be able to help find me a copy of it (or direct me to a store that has it in stock) in the US or anywhere that will ship to the US. Thank you

I've been looking the past 7 weeks for this. They've been slowly trickling out of Amazon and Ebay during that time for a low of 70$ to a high of 150$.

I don't think it's findable for anything close to retail price right now. It's the only mythos pack I'm missing out of all the campaigns, so I have been stalking it pretty relentlessly. FFG had it in stock for a couple of hours about a month ago, but it never seemed to show up in any other stores after that (except for Board Game Bliss in Canada, but I didn't want to pay $10 shipping for a $15 item, so I didn't get it, thinking it would show up in the US somewhere, which didn't happen.)

I'm just trying to put Carcosa on the backburner and play other cycles until there's a reprint.

Gamingongrand.com says they have 1 in stock this morning. They are located in California.

29 minutes ago, KennerHugh said:

Gamingongrand.com says they have 1 in stock this morning. They are located in California.

That store closed in February, and you can't actually buy the one on the website (I think they partially took down the ecommerce part of the site but failed to get all of it). I have tried, for sure!

14 hours ago, coldt0es said:

I'm just trying to put Carcosa on the backburner and play other cycles until there's a reprint.

In general, how often are there reprints? Because I have all of Carcosa except phantom and am wondering if I should just start getting TCU if there's not going to be any reprints soon.

2 hours ago, Jaync said:

In general, how often are there reprints? Because I have all of Carcosa except phantom and am wondering if I should just start getting TCU if there's not going to be any reprints soon.

I'm probably too new to the game to give you a great answer to how often reprints happen; I'm sure someone else will chime in. But in the last couple of months, as I've made a lifestyle out of obsessively stalking mythos packs, I've seen them reprint all of the TFA packs, most of Carcosa, about half of Dream-Eaters, and a couple of standalones. So they seem to reprint things reasonably often. However, since Phantom showed up in the FFG store in September (and was immediately snapped up), I'm concerned that it will be a while before they get more in, so if I were you I wouldn't put everything on hold waiting on that and work on collecting another cycle. That was my strategy at least.

Great now you guys have me thinking I should buy the Forgotten Age line while it is all available..... I have that on my wishlist for some Secret Santa Groups I am in, but now I am worried I am going to be hunting after Xmas if I don't act now.

Supply and demand is not in great balance right now. If I was just getting into this game now, I would be tempted to get what's available and then fill in the missing packs once they get a reprint...who knows which pack will become the next 'A Phantom of Truth'. The Forgotten Age is also excellent. If you can find the complete cycle, and have the cash, it's definitely worth getting.

I just got so excited because I found a store that had 2 copies of phantom...only to realize that it was in Singapore and doesn't ship to the US. :(

16 hours ago, Jaync said:

I just got so excited because I found a store that had 2 copies of phantom...only to realize that it was in Singapore and doesn't ship to the US. :(

LOL I did two... and they won't ship to the US.... I need a friend who lives in Singapore

6 hours ago, Icechamber said:

LOL I did two... and they won't ship to the US.... I need a friend who lives in Singapore

*calculates cost to fly to Singapore and buy it*...no...no...it can't be worth it...unless...

13 hours ago, Jaync said:

*calculates cost to fly to Singapore and buy it*...no...no...it can't be worth it...unless...

LOL if they sell on Ebay for $140 then it just might be if you have a passport and get both of them.....

On 10/27/2020 at 3:36 PM, Icechamber said:

Great now you guys have me thinking I should buy the Forgotten Age line while it is all available..... I have that on my wishlist for some Secret Santa Groups I am in, but now I am worried I am going to be hunting after Xmas if I don't act now.

TBH, given how difficult some things have been to find, and how quickly things have gone out of stock even on FFG's site (sometimes in hours), I'd buy what you can find and afford ASAP. I've *just* managed to complete my collection, but it took a ton of time and not a small amount of luck (and money!) to do it.

Forgotten Age is a neat campaign. It's more Indiana Jones-ey horror, so it has a bit of a 'change of pace' feel from the other campaigns. Play on easy! It's brutal... And be leery about destroying the temple - I wish I hadn't...

40 minutes ago, Sarre said:

I've *just* managed to complete my collection, but it took a ton of time and not a small amount of luck (and money!) to do it.

I'm assuming not but did you find a phantom of truth recently?

Three were sold this week on Ebay for $130 each.

Wow...some people have more money than patience. I still don't understand how we get to a point where certain mythos packs seem rarer than others. It would be nice, however, to have a bit more information from FFG as to their plans and priorities for reprints so that people at least had a vague idea as to when things will be available (I know they used to do this...but even then the information was a little unreliable).

1 hour ago, CrimeLord Owl said:

Three were sold this week on Ebay for $130 each.

Oh no, I'm so angry that I missed that amazing deal.

Looks like I'm joining the illustrious "Just missing A Phantom of Truth' club too.

18 hours ago, Sarre said:

TBH, given how difficult some things have been to find, and how quickly things have gone out of stock even on FFG's site (sometimes in hours), I'd buy what you can find and afford ASAP. I've *just* managed to complete my collection, but it took a ton of time and not a small amount of luck (and money!) to do it.

Forgotten Age is a neat campaign. It's more Indiana Jones-ey horror, so it has a bit of a 'change of pace' feel from the other campaigns. Play on easy! It's brutal... And be leery about destroying the temple - I wish I hadn't...

thanks for the tip! i'm just about to start TFA! i've found not destroying things along the campaign has turned out to be rather rewarding. errr...though i did have a little mishap in that speakeasy in Dunwich. XD

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

i want to echo the sentiment of "buy what you can while it's available" (without paying those ridiculous gouging prices!). i was one of the lucky ones during that 30-second window to grab a copy of Phantom of Truth, but i also decided to just finish picking everything else up as well so i don't get stuck somewhere in the middle of the campaign. if you can afford it, stay well-ahead of yourself.

I have a feeling that FFG had too many irons in the fire before the pandemic and now they are just swimming. I might have to pay the money for phantom because I haven't seen any reprints for almost 2 months now. The other cycles are getting just as scarce.

A bit of advice for those looking to continue collecting Arkham. I have started preordering the day of for packs and the likes, if I don’t I end up not being able to get them forever. I just got the Roland banks novel (well like 3-4 months ago, but still)... it’s hard once that day 1 passes, so I would highly recommend people wanting all the things, if finance allows, buying it ASAP.

Unfortunately, this year, because of the unusual situation no doubt, even ordering in advance as soon as items become available for pre-order offers no certainty. I see that In Too Deep is already showing as out of stock with many sellers and distributors...and it hasn't even released yet. The general advice, though, to get what you can now, rather than wait for complete cycles, is sound. I don't know whether the player count for this game has rapidly increased this year but FFG seem to be a little off on their calculation of supply versus demand.

I think when things were announced, at the beginning of 2020, the print jobs were already run, based on whatever FFG’s forecast was. The pandemic came out of nowhere and a ripple effect was that it added players to the game faster than they could have planned for. Since printers shut down in the spring too, I have to assume that the backlog, added to an unexpected need for reprints, may be part of the problem.
Innsmouth is the only cycle so far to be out of print before it’s release dates. Both with the base expansion and the first Mythos pack, but remember it was announced last February and it’s release is 2-3 months behind its original schedule. A lot has changed since then.

I nearly bought a German Phantom of Truth ("Ein Phantom Der Wharheit") on Amazon by mistake, although now I see even that is sold out! The place that fixes my car said they are having trouble getting parts from China, lots of goods stuck in containers waiting to be processed by reduced staff due to COVID.