Looking for "A Phantom of Truth"

By Icechamber, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

45 minutes ago, Jaync said:

Also what really sucks about all of this is that the scenario (or at least the conviction route) has been completely spoiled for me. Back when I was getting into the game I watched a team covenant vid of them playing through it, and as hard as I try to forget, I just can't. So it's really annoying me that I'm waiting so long and going through so much trouble to get a scenario that I already know what's gonna happen and it's probably not gonna be as fun as the others.

“Empty your mind Luke...feel the force...”

Don’t let that factor in. Carcosa has more than one path to success.
Just like with replays, there will be things you can’t “un-know”. We make our decisions with role playing, based on what we think our investigators would most likely do. Some of those conversations are hilarious.
For example, we just re-played Dream Eaters which we have played through twice, but this time we did the mini 4 part campaign with just the Dreamers. They made totally different decisions than we have made before, mostly because Winnie was lead investigator, is super ADHD and makes a lot of impulsive choices without a lot of chit chat. Poor Stella had to either follow her, or get stuck delivering kitty kibble in Ulthar for the rest of her days. It was a lot of fun though, because we had resolutions we haven’t seen and it ended totally differently than it has in the past.
Savor Phantom of Truth, you’ve earned it!

Edited by Mimi61
12 hours ago, Mimi61 said:

“Empty your mind Luke...feel the force...”

Don’t let that factor in. Carcosa has more than one path to success.
Just like with replays, there will be things you can’t “un-know”. We make our decisions with role playing, based on what we think our investigators would most likely do. Some of those conversations are hilarious.
For example, we just re-played Dream Eaters which we have played through twice, but this time we did the mini 4 part campaign with just the Dreamers. They made totally different decisions than we have made before, mostly because Winnie was lead investigator, is super ADHD and makes a lot of impulsive choices without a lot of chit chat. Poor Stella had to either follow her, or get stuck delivering kitty kibble in Ulthar for the rest of her days. It was a lot of fun though, because we had resolutions we haven’t seen and it ended totally differently than it has in the past.
Savor Phantom of Truth, you’ve earned it!

Yeah that's true. I know this one changes a good bit based on doubt/conviction, and either way it's still going to be fun.

15 hours ago, Jaync said:

I actually saw this before it was sold out and I didn't want to pay the shipping/I thought it might not be legit. And now the price has been changed to $188 somehow. When I saw it in stock it was like $18.

It did when I ordered it... I asked them before I paid. They are from another country and put in a comma instead of the period. I only paid $18 for it then $22 shipping. But like I said I picked up a second for a friend so we are splitting the shipping.

YEAH I get to find out if I was scammed or not today!!!! The package is out for delivery!

26 minutes ago, Icechamber said:

YEAH I get to find out if I was scammed or not today!!!! The package is out for delivery!

Ah nice, my barkham comes today also! Can't wait to use the dogs in campaigns. Oh wait what I meant to say FFG is that I will follow all of the rules regarding the dog investigators and "not" use them in any campaigns. ; D

Edited by Jaync
28 minutes ago, Icechamber said:

1 minute ago, Jaync said:

Ah nice, my barkham comes today also!

Hooray for new toys! Wini & Harvey are due here on Friday. They are my last missing pieces other than Phantom (excluding novellas and Labyrinth, which at this point I don't have plans to buy) so I guess I'll have to stop tracking store inventory and just play the game!

8 hours ago, Jaync said:

Yeah that's true. I know this one changes a good bit based on doubt/conviction, and either way it's still going to be fun.

It’s true that it can impact things. We have played Carcosa at least 4 times and our Doubt and Conviction has been all over the place based on letting our investigators “personalities” choose, but bad card draws, enemies all over the place, weaknesses showing up at the worst possible times, have had far more impact. I guess what I am saying is, sometimes the less pristine outcomes have the best memories attached. In our first time through one campaign (not Carcosa) we ended up winning, but it was at the expense of one of our investigators ending up insane.
When you play as much as we do, stuff starts blending together, (who did we play where?) but his story is etched in our memory. Every time we are near Arkham Asylum for one reason or another, we make sure to honor his sacrifice and “visit” him. He’s the only investigator we have woven into other campaigns in this way. So it really ended up being a win for him too!

I hope your journey as you pursue answers in the realm of The King in Yellow, are memorable. Have fun!!
Let us know how it went.

Edited by Mimi61
42 minutes ago, Mimi61 said:

I hope your journey as you pursue answers in the realm of The King in Yellow, are memorable. Have fun!!
Let us know how it went.

When I can actually find phantom I definitely will. Oooh, an asylum I can't wait!

Isn't it neat my collections complete <sings in Ariel's voice. Test (Sanity 5) or take 4 horror due to how awful it was>

It came in and it was legit!!! YEAH!!! Time to play some Carcosa!!!

Edited by Icechamber
1 hour ago, Icechamber said:

It came in and it was legit!!!

Or is it?

• YEAH!!! Of course it is. You just checked those cards. Mark one conviction.
  • Uuuh.... I hope so? You can't trust these people. Mark one doubt.
Edited by Eldan985
5 hours ago, Icechamber said:

It came in and it was legit!!! YEAH!!! Time to play some Carcosa!!!

*Me and @coldt0es watching jealousy*

One just sold on ebay for $156.

9 minutes ago, CrimeLord Owl said:

One just sold on ebay for $156.

People are crazy! I've never paid more than $20 US, including shipping, for a mythos pack. If this was your last chance to get it ever, I can see deciding it was worth an outrageous price, but not when you'll be able to get for 1/10th the price if you just wait a few months.

Not to be a walking, talking ad for Team Covenant, but this thread makes me exceedingly glad that I've been subbed for every AH:TCG product (except novellas) since Where Doom Awaits and they've never let me down. The price is literally a few bucks more, and I never go through the kind of nightmares you guys describe.

It's an option, if you can afford it. *shrug*

I just buy at my local shop during the week of release, and I've never missed a box or a pack.

22 minutes ago, SGPrometheus said:

Not to be a walking, talking ad for Team Covenant, but this thread makes me exceedingly glad that I've been subbed for every AH:TCG product (except novellas) since Where Doom Awaits and they've never let me down. The price is literally a few bucks more, and I never go through the kind of nightmares you guys describe.

It's an option, if you can afford it. *shrug*

Sure, I’ve done this for Innsmouth with my FLGS, but I only started playing this game during the pandemic, so I had a lot of content to catch up on. A subscription is great for new items, but for old ones, those of us who are new to the game are stuck with lots of nightmares (as is appropriate for AH!)

I'm now just preordering from Asmodee as they're announced. It's the only way to be (mostly) sure. Would prefer to support a B&M retailer, but with the fulfillment problems Asmodee has been having...

A Thanksgiving miracle! So I woke up this morning to a restock alert on A Phantom of Truth from a store where I didn't even remember having set up restock alerts. I quickly bought it (for retail + $5 shipping, although I'm sure I would have paid more despite my vows not to pay inflated prices!) and was headed here to let you know where I'd gotten it so you all could get one too. But when I went back to the page, it's sold out so they must have only had one copy. :( Sorry.

We'll see if I actually get it or if it was posted in error. But fingers crossed!

8 hours ago, coldt0es said:

A Thanksgiving miracle! So I woke up this morning to a restock alert on A Phantom of Truth from a store where I didn't even remember having set up restock alerts. I quickly bought it (for retail + $5 shipping, although I'm sure I would have paid more despite my vows not to pay inflated prices!) and was headed here to let you know where I'd gotten it so you all could get one too. But when I went back to the page, it's sold out so they must have only had one copy. :( Sorry.

We'll see if I actually get it or if it was posted in error. But fingers crossed!

Good for you, hope it works out! Lmk what ends up happening.

Edited by Jaync

Auction on ebay at $77 atm and also two went up for sale yesterday one for $129 plus shipping another for $159. I personally don't care if I finish it anymore.

On 11/26/2020 at 8:38 AM, coldt0es said:

Well, not surprisingly, I just received the following email:

I am reaching out to inform you of an unfortunate incident that has impacted your order. Late Wednesday night, an exception occurred that caused our server to display a number of items that were unavailable as 'in stock'. We discovered the problem when we returned to work today and have resolved it. However the item you requested is, in fact, currently out of stock in our warehouse.

So, I am back in the "Waiting till spring(?) 2021" boat with the rest of you!

1 hour ago, coldt0es said:

So, I am back in the "Waiting till spring(?) 2021" boat with the rest of you!

Oh sorry to hear that :(

It’s okay. It seemed too good to be true (how would that have happened, like they were cleaning out the storeroom before Black Friday and they found one that had fallen behind a shelf or something?) so I wasn’t terribly surprised. And I’d already resigned myself to waiting until spring. I’ve now played through The Forgotten Age and it was great. I’ve still got TCU and Dream-Eaters to go and even Innsmouth may be complete before I get to do Carcosa, so I can keep myself occupied.

Yeah I'm getting TFA for Christmas, can't wait to play! What were your experiences with it? I've heard very mixed things, a lot of people say they hate it and a lot say they love it.

52 minutes ago, Jaync said:

Yeah I'm getting TFA for Christmas, can't wait to play! What were your experiences with it? I've heard very mixed things, a lot of people say they hate it and a lot say they love it.

I knew that people felt that way about it so I just decided to be one of the people who loved it despite its flaws, and I did. I loved the theme, and there’s a great opening twist in one of the scenarios. There are definitely some things that feel unfair, but as a result, I had to take a Minh with 6 mental trauma (out of 7 sanity!) through the final scenario and when she survived it that was a great feeling. I did play on easy though I usually do standard, and I’ve heard it’s unusually punishing for true solo but I always play two-handed. So it might be worth adjusting your normal play mode.

I thought about adding Return To, which fixes some of the things people don’t like, for my next run with Ursula and Finn, but I decided I want to see if I can use what I learned the first time to improve. Then I’ll add in Return whenever I do a third run.

So I’d say if you go in with appropriate expectations, and are prepared to let the bad stuff roll off your back (which can amount to things like, “What? I have to take trauma because I thought a coffee filter would be more useful than a garlic press?!?”), you’ll have a great time.