Few questions

By vmoss, in Marvel Champions: The Card Game

2 hours ago, Venompuppy said:

Actually, no to you'll pay for that. If a card has a limit, then you can't go above that cap.

Yes, 5 Threat is the cap for how much it can remove. It could boost 3 damage up to 5 threat removal though, but it will never remove more than 5.

6 hours ago, FearLord said:

Yes, 5 Threat is the cap for how much it can remove. It could boost 3 damage up to 5 threat removal though, but it will never remove more than 5.

Is that in the RRG? Also, You’ll Pay for that’s Max appears to be a cap on the conversion, not a cap on thwarting per se.

edit: that’s because the language about the max takes place after the conversion, not after the amount of thwart removed; if it were positioned immediately after the phrase like so: “remove 1 threat (to a maximum of 5) for each damage you took...)”

Edited by Derrault
2 hours ago, Derrault said:

Is that in the RRG? Also, You’ll Pay for that’s Max appears to be a cap on the conversion, not a cap on thwarting per se.

edit: that’s because the language about the max takes place after the conversion, not after the amount of thwart removed; if it were positioned immediately after the phrase like so: “remove 1 threat (to a maximum of 5) for each damage you took...)”

It’s all one sentence. What else can the maximum apply to? The amount of damage you take? It’s saying “remove threat equal to the amount of damage you take from an attack (but no more than 5).

3 hours ago, Derrault said:

I’m not sure if it’s in the RRG, but it has been ruled that the maximum is the amount of threat that can be removed and that the increase from Shrink is still bound by this maximum:

Q: How does Ms. Marvel’s Shrink interact with You’ll Pay for That? Can it be increased past the maximum value of 5 threat?

A: Shrink modifies the amount of threat “that event removes” so the maximum of 5 applies.

-Caleb

If weapons runner is revealed during initial setup or new scheme stage, do we surge another encounter card?

Thank you.

1 hour ago, vmoss said:

If weapons runner is revealed during initial setup or new scheme stage, do we surge another encounter card?

Klaw’s main schemes specify that cards are discarded until a minion is found, then the minion is put into play (from the discard pile). In game terms the Weapons Runner has never been revealed and so surge does not trigger.

I hope that helps!

1. Are ally hulk follow up damage considered attacks (ie. subject to guard or retaliate)?

2. Does wonder man have to pay 1 card/attack (eg get ready)?

Thank you.

3 hours ago, vmoss said:

1. Are ally hulk follow up damage considered attacks (ie. subject to guard or retaliate)?

2. Does wonder man have to pay 1 card/attack (eg get ready)?

Thank you.

1) No, they are things that happen as a response to the attack, not an attack themselves.

2) Yes, it's an additional cost every time he attacks.

I've found the best use for Wonder Man is in decks that use the card Teamwork, since that lets you add his attack power without him actually making an attack, so his extra cost doesn't kick in.

When looking at top card of decks (h. quiver or s. futurist), if needed do one get to shuffle and look at remaining cards?

Thank you.

You only shuffle if the game effect tells you to. So something that says "look at the top card of the deck" gives you information on what that card is, but does not change where it is.

13 hours ago, vmoss said:

When looking at top card of decks (h. quiver or s. futurist), if needed do one get to shuffle and look at remaining cards?

Thank you.

Do you mean do you reshuffle your deck if there are fewer cards than you are permitted to look at/search? I don’t think so, you look at as many as you can.

For example, if you only have four cards in your deck and use Hawkeye’s Quiver, you would only get to look at four cards instead of five. Any cards you didn’t draw would go back as your draw pile after the search is completed.

1.Can Earth's mightiest heroes be used to ready your hero's identity. If yes, very strong card.

2. For red sk's scenario by adding threat from delay counters, one can complete stage one of main scheme before game start (eg 9 counters)?

Thank you.

5 hours ago, vmoss said:

1.Can Earth's mightiest heroes be used to ready your hero's identity. If yes, very strong card.

2. For red sk's scenario by adding threat from delay counters, one can complete stage one of main scheme before game start (eg 9 counters)?

Thank you.

1) Yes, so long as your hero is an Avenger.

2) Yes. Schemes advance as soon as they reach the threat threshold.

5 hours ago, vmoss said:

Thank you.

1. Yes, but only if your identity has the avenger trait. For example, when playing Black Widow you couldn't use it to ready in alter ego form(Natasha Romanov) because it is S.H.I.E.L.D and spy, not avenger.

2. Yes, unlike in Arkham Horror, where the Agenda can only advance in the mythos phase, the main scheme, in champions, advances whenever threat meets its threshold.

Edited by Orcdruid
8 minutes ago, Orcdruid said:

1. Yes, but only if your identity has the avenger trait. For example, when playing Black Widow you couldn't use it to ready in alter ego form(Natasha Romanov) because it is S.H.I.E.L.D and spy, not avenger.

It’s a hero action, so only available in hero form anyway (in case your alter ego gets the Avenger trait from Honorary Avenger for example).

Ms Marvel couldn’t use it though (unless someone else plays Honorary Avenger on her).

For Clint's obligation 2nd choice, is the bow discarded into the discard pile? If so, he would be able to find it with an action soon.

Thank you.

8 minutes ago, vmoss said:

For Clint's obligation 2nd choice, is the bow discarded into the discard pile? If so, he would be able to find it with an action soon.

Thank you.

Yes, whenever it says "discard", it goes to its respective discard pile: player discard for player cards, encounter discard for encounter cards.

4 hours ago, vmoss said:

Thank you.

Yes, it’s probably the easiest second ability on an obligation so far.

Generation why: Discards for persona only (max 3) or also for allies (max 7)?

Thank you.

Edited by vmoss
Spelling
4 hours ago, vmoss said:

Generation who: Discards for persona only (max 3) or also for allies (max 7)?

Thank you.

Generation Why?

When Revealed : Discard the top card of each player’s deck for each ally and PERSONA support in play.

So, count the allies in play, and count the Support cards with the PERSONA trait, add them together, and discard that many cards from everyone’s decks.

9 hours ago, Derrault said:

Generation Why?

When Revealed : Discard the top card of each player’s deck for each ally and PERSONA support in play.

So, count the allies in play, and count the Support cards with the PERSONA trait, add them together, and discard that many cards from everyone’s decks.

We were getting crushed by this against Risky Business (normally fairly easy) with Ms. Marvel/Thor. Discarding 5-9 cards each Gen-Y reveal, Norman was just spinning out side schemes like nobodies business. We eventually won but it was tough when he was adding 7 threat to Stage 2B each turn.

If the villain is stunned, and you play toe to toe, would you deal the 5 damage to him? Because I've seen other cards, like focused rage and assault on norad, that when you prevent the first part, the other parts don't happen. Just wanted to clarify on this card though.

16 minutes ago, Venompuppy said:

If the villain is stunned, and you play toe to toe, would you deal the 5 damage to him? Because I've seen other cards, like focused rage and assault on norad, that when you prevent the first part, the other parts don't happen. Just wanted to clarify on this card though.

If it has an arrow (---->), everything before the arrow is a cost that must be paid to get every thing after the arrow (eg. Focus Rage).

With " After doing x , do y ". If x doesnt happen then y doesnt either.

Assault on Norad " Forced Response : After placing threat here during step one of the villain phase, each player must choose to either place 2 threat here or put the top card of their deck into play facedown, engaged with them as a Drone minion."

3 hours ago, IceHot42 said:

If it has an arrow (---->), everything before the arrow is a cost that must be paid to get every thing after the arrow (eg. Focus Rage).

With " After doing x , do y ". If x doesnt happen then y doesnt either.

Assault on Norad " Forced Response : After placing threat here during step one of the villain phase, each player must choose to either place 2 threat here or put the top card of their deck into play facedown, engaged with them as a Drone minion."

That is immensely helpful, thank you. It's kind of frustrating how nitpicky the rules are, but at the same time it wouldn't be a good game if it didn't have these rules.

I shouldn't say nitpicky, more like complicated, and specific. Because only a person can be nitpicky, you can decide how strict you want to be on the exact rules. The only problem is that I am nitpicky about the rules. I believe the game can't function if you don't play by the rules, because then there are inconsistencies in 'your' game.

I just don't have the same level of commitment as others to educate myself and logically deduce how different card effects and abilities react with one another. Really appreciate this thread in general.

Edited by Venompuppy
1 hour ago, Venompuppy said:

That is immensely helpful, thank you. It's kind of frustrating how nitpicky the rules are, but at the same time it wouldn't be a good game if it didn't have these rules.

I shouldn't say nitpicky, more like complicated, and specific. Because only a person can be nitpicky, you can decide how strict you want to be on the exact rules. The only problem is that I am nitpicky about the rules. I believe the game can't function if you don't play by the rules, because then there are inconsistencies in 'your' game.

I just don't have the same level of commitment as others to educate myself and logically deduce how different card effects and abilities react with one another. Really appreciate this thread in general.

Don’t give up!

But yes, the language is often very precise to achieve one outcome singularly from another.