Few questions

By vmoss, in Marvel Champions: The Card Game

1 hour ago, IceHot42 said:

Speaking of explicit, we actually had Explosion trigger the other day with Bomb Scare out, does that damage effect both players in multi-player.

I don’t know that Ive seen it go off before 😂 But yes, in that case it says you assign the damage “among heroes and allies.” So I’d say the damage could go to any friendly characters at the table.

13 hours ago, IceHot42 said:

Speaking of explicit, we actually had Explosion trigger the other day with Bomb Scare out, does that damage effect both players in multi-player.

11 hours ago, SpiderMana said:

I don’t know that Ive seen it go off before 😂 But yes, in that case it says you assign the damage “among heroes and allies.” So I’d say the damage could go to any friendly characters at the table.

Something to bear in mind is that Indirect Damage doesn't exist in the core box - it was introduced in Green Goblin. I suspect that if there is ever an updated (not even 2.0, just fixed) Core, it will say indirect damage.

Do taking damage from boost cards like concussive blast count toward no damage cards (eg unflappable)?

Thank you.

On 7/13/2020 at 12:32 PM, IceHot42 said:

Edited by Venompuppy
13 hours ago, vmoss said:

Do taking damage from boost cards like concussive blast count toward no damage cards (eg unflappable)?

Thank you.

Yes. Same with Thunderball's ability.

16 hours ago, vmoss said:

Thank you.

2 hours ago, Venompuppy said:

Yes. Same with Thunderball's ability.

Uh, actually no? I'm not looking at those specific cards, but if a boost effects says "do damage" that doesn't actually count as taking damage from the attack. The boost effect would have to "add damage to the attack" for it to count as damage from an attack and screw up Unflappable/Desperate Defense.

On 7/15/2020 at 12:11 PM, SpiderMana said:

Uh, actually no? I'm not looking at those specific cards, but if a boost effects says "do damage" that doesn't actually count as taking damage from the attack. The boost effect would have to "add damage to the attack" for it to count as damage from an attack and screw up Unflappable/Desperate Defense.

Oh, I always thought that if you took damage from any aspect of a villain's attack, then you would consider your hero "damaged by the attack". I realize that I have no idea though, does it say anywhere in the rules reference?

While prison guard is guarding the villain, can the other members of the wc be attacked?

Thank you.

19 hours ago, vmoss said:

While prison guard is guarding the villain, can the other members of the wc be attacked?

Thank you.

No.

Why not?

Thank you.

1 hour ago, vmoss said:

Why not?

Thank you.

In the rules reference under Keywords, guard specifically says you cannot attack villains without the guard keyword. It uses the plural villains.

When cards are drawed (and shuffling is needed), does one mix in the cards just used to pay for it (eg. nick fury or r. blast)?

Thank you.

3 hours ago, vmoss said:

When cards are drawed (and shuffling is needed), does one mix in the cards just used to pay for it (eg. nick fury or r. blast)?

Thank you.

Nick Fury would still be in play, as it stays in play until the end of the round or defeated.

Events aren't discarded until the effect is resolved. So if you're playing Repulsor Blast, that card will stay in play until after all the cards have been discarded and damage is dealt, and only then it will be discarded.

4 hours ago, vmoss said:

Thank you.

Resource costs are paid before the card is put into play, so the cards you used to pay for it are already in your discard pile. If you play Nick Fury and choose the draw 3 cards option when there are 3 or fewer cards in your deck then the cards you used to pay for Nick Fury will be reshuffled. So if you still need to draw cards after the reshuffle from Fury’s draw effect you could potentially draw cards that you used to pay for him.

For Repulsor Blast, the card you used to pay for it goes into your discard pile, after which you discard the top 5 cards of your deck. If you have 5 or fewer cards in your deck I believe the order is: you discard the remaining cards in your deck for Repulsor Blast’s effect, shuffle your discard pile to make a new deck, deal yourself 1 encounter card, place Repulsor Blast into your now empty discard pile.

Note that for Repulsor Blast, because it is a discard effect rather than a draw effect, you don’t continue discarding cards from your deck after reshuffling if you had discarded fewer than 5 cards (see the last sentence of “Empty Player Deck” in the Rules Reference).

I hope that helps.

Edited by Assussanni

For futurist: after looking at the cards, do they go back in the same order or player's choice?

Thank you.

2 minutes ago, vmoss said:

For futurist: after looking at the cards, do they go back in the same order or player's choice?

Thank you.

Neither - they’re discarded.

Discarded in what order? (for cards like Ms. Potts)

Thank you.

Edited by vmoss
Spelling
56 minutes ago, vmoss said:

Discarded in what order? (for cards like Ms. Potts)

Thank you.

Players choice.

1 hour ago, FearLord said:

Players choice.

Actually, that's not the case. I played it that way for a while, but when you "look at" cards with abilities like Futurist, you don't get to change the order at all unless specified.

5 hours ago, SpiderMana said:

Actually, that's not the case. I played it that way for a while, but when you "look at" cards with abilities like Futurist, you don't get to change the order at all unless specified.

What are you basing that on? The ruling for Hawkeye’s Quiver? I don’t see that as changing the normal resolution of discarding cards - if you were just looking at these cards, I’d agree, but here, you look at the top 3, then choose 1 to add to your hand and 2 to discard. Whenever you’re discarding cards at the same time, it’s your choice the order they go into the discard.

2 hours ago, FearLord said:

What are you basing that on? The ruling for Hawkeye’s Quiver? I don’t see that as changing the normal resolution of discarding cards - if you were just looking at these cards, I’d agree, but here, you look at the top 3, then choose 1 to add to your hand and 2 to discard. Whenever you’re discarding cards at the same time, it’s your choice the order they go into the discard.

The closest I can find is this ruling on Hall of Heroes:

Q: Does order matter when discarding cards for Futurist or Repulsor Blast? Or can you re-order as you like, such that (for instance) the tech card you want is highest in your discard for Stark Tower.

A: You should not manipulate the order that cards are discarded from your deck unless you are told that you can by card effect.

-Caleb

I’d say that answer still leaves room for doubt. For Repulsor Blast, where cards are just discarded from the deck, it is clear that the order of the cards cannot be chosen. For Futurist you aren’t simply discarding cards from your deck, you are looking at 3, choosing 1 then discarding the other 2. However, since Caleb did not distinguish the two cases in his answer, it would seem like you should not change the order of the cards when they are discarded.

1 hour ago, Assussanni said:

The closest I can find is this ruling on Hall of Heroes:

I’d say that answer still leaves room for doubt. For Repulsor Blast, where cards are just discarded from the deck, it is clear that the order of the cards cannot be chosen. For Futurist you aren’t simply discarding cards from your deck, you are looking at 3, choosing 1 then discarding the other 2. However, since Caleb did not distinguish the two cases in his answer, it would seem like you should not change the order of the cards when they are discarded.

Thanks, that’s useful. I’d agree that seems more like it’s supposed to apply to abilities more like Repulsor Blast, but as he didn’t clarify a difference, I’ll play Futurist that way for now as well - it’s not like Iron Man really needs the help...

Would toe to toe or you'll pay for this be effective if a player blocks with an ally?

Also for you'll pay can we remove 2 more threats with shrink for a total of 7?

Thank you.

On 8/22/2020 at 6:59 PM, vmoss said:

Would toe to toe or you'll pay for this be effective if a player blocks with an ally?

Also for you'll pay can we remove 2 more threats with shrink for a total of 7?

Thank you.

You mean, can an ally block when the villain attacks from Toe to Toe? If so, yes, same as Get Behind Me!

edit: Yes to the shrink question.
double edit: No to the shrink question. 🤪

Edited by Derrault
2 hours ago, Derrault said:

You mean, can an ally block when the villain attacks from Toe to Toe? If so, yes, same as Get Behind Me!

edit: Yes to the shrink question.

Actually, no to you'll pay for that. If a card has a limit, then you can't go above that cap.