Few questions

By vmoss, in Marvel Champions: The Card Game

1. When an ally attacks to undo a stun status card, does she suffer collateral damage?

2. When an ally blocks an attack, does the you portion still take effect? (For examples, Spiderman's hero card draw or Thunderball's 1 damage to each character you control.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, vmoss said:

1. When an ally attacks to undo a stun status card, does she suffer collateral damage?

2. When an ally blocks an attack, does the you portion still take effect? (For examples, Spiderman's hero card draw or Thunderball's 1 damage to each character you control.

Thank you.

1) No - Stun is a replacement effect, so the attack is entirely replaced, including the final step of your ally taking consequential damage.

2) Depends on the ability. ‘You’ is used to both refer to ‘you the player’ as well as your identity card, so it depends on context. In the case of Spider-Man, his ability only cares who the attack was initiated against, so it will only ever work if Spider-Man was the original target. In Thunderball’s case, if he attacks you the player (I.e any of your cards) his ability triggers. This is different to say Green Goblin (Mutagen Formula version) - his ability requires him to attack and damage you, which means he’d gave to damage your identity card with an attack. Have a look at the definition of ‘You’ in the rules reference (current online version) for more detail on this.

Would a character with a tough status card still retaliate?

Thank you.

15 minutes ago, vmoss said:

Would a character with a tough status card still retaliate?

Thank you.

I believe retaliate triggers off of getting attacked; taking damage isn't necessary. (For example if you defend with Captain America or Black Panther and you defend all of the incoming damage, you still retaliate the one damage back.)

When using Wonder Man with teamwork, does the player still have to discard a card for the three extra damage? Thank you.

40 minutes ago, vmoss said:

When using Wonder Man with teamwork, does the player still have to discard a card for the three extra damage? Thank you.

No, because you're not using Wonder Man to attack, you're just adding his ATK number to the hero's ATK. It means he also won't take any consequential damage, because it isn't an attack.

If Hulk's attack of three damage finishes off a stage of a villain, can the next part (2 damage or 1 to each character) be used for the next stage of a villian?

Thank you.

From the rulebook (under Villain Defeat)

• Excess damage that is dealt to defeat a villain stage does not carry over to the new stage.
1 hour ago, IceHot42 said:

From the rulebook (under Villain Defeat)

• Excess damage that is dealt to defeat a villain stage does not carry over to the new stage.

But this is two different instances of damage. If Hulk's attack finishes the first stage of the villain off , any left over from that disappears. But the damage (if any) from his text response is its own thing and would still trigger against the next stage of the villain.

Edited by maniakmedic
I was reading through this document from ffg and found a few things that I missed before (two interesting examples quoted below). Hope it helps. Thank you.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LoxeYzEQ0HIkf3_aSi1qOTWbBdZ6_j1_3zkJBNm0EcY/edit?fbclid=IwAR1XAEBCLjDudRD0kkA3AbYBdxtUg5PDfPaDB8vdCUOZr3KcGFTiXFRF-D8 #

Q: If an enemy has a stun status card, and I play Webbed Up to that enemy, which card triggers first?

A: The stun card would trigger first. In this scenario, if you attached Webbed Up to an already stunned enemy, that enemy would be prevented from attacking for three attacks.

Reference: p.16, “Status Cards”

Q: If I defend for another player as Spider-Man, does Spider-Sense trigger?

A: No. Spider-Sense triggers before any of the steps for attacking, so he must be the initial target of the attack for Spider-Sense to trigger. Note that this means Spider-Sense still triggers if another player/ally defends for Spider-Man.

Reference: p.21, "FAQ"

Edited by vmoss
info

When the main scheme advances to the next stage, does Under Surveillance stay in play or get discarded?

Thank you.

11 hours ago, vmoss said:

When the main scheme advances to the next stage, does Under Surveillance stay in play or get discarded?

Thank you.

The way I understand it - and I could be wrong - but the different stages all constitute the complete main scheme, so Under Surveillance would remain attached when the stage advances.

27 minutes ago, maniakmedic said:

The way I understand it - and I could be wrong - but the different stages all constitute the complete main scheme, so Under Surveillance would remain attached when the stage advances.

My take is that if it remains, it's too simply strong. Unfortunately the Main Scheme article in the reference only specifies that excess threat doesn't carry over when changing stage, while acceleration tokens do, but it hasn't been updated yet to clarify what happens with attachments. The Reference does state that main scheme is an encounter card type and that they all together form the main scheme "deck", so there seems to be this idea behind these rules that each stage is a main scheme unto itself. Considering that attachments on villains are specifically said to remain on the next stage, because otherwise it would help the player, I think that grim-ruling Under Surveillance means it wouldn't stay.

2 hours ago, maniakmedic said:

2 hours ago, Ascarel said:

My take is that if it remains, it's too simply strong. Unfortunately the Main Scheme article in the reference only specifies that excess threat doesn't carry over when changing stage, while acceleration tokens do, but it hasn't been updated yet to clarify what happens with attachments. The Reference does state that main scheme is an encounter card type and that they all together form the main scheme "deck", so there seems to be this idea behind these rules that each stage is a main scheme unto itself. Considering that attachments on villains are specifically said to remain on the next stage, because otherwise it would help the player, I think that grim-ruling Under Surveillance means it wouldn't stay.

Yeah, I had always just assumed it stuck around, but when playing with a couple of the guys who regularly answer rules questions on the Discord, they said it gets discarded.

I find it odd that the Villain keeps all attachments and statuses (which I suppose is going to help the Villain more often than the players) and the Main Scheme wouldn't, but they Main Scheme stages do have completely different names, where the Villain retains his name as you move along each stage. So that could be part of the reasoning. Either way, would like to see this actually mentioned in a Rules Reference update, but I think it gets discarded as the rules currently work.

2 hours ago, Ascarel said:

That's fair. Hopefully it gets addressed so we know for certain.

35 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

Yeah, I had always just assumed it stuck around, but when playing with a couple of the guys who regularly answer rules questions on the Discord, they said it gets discarded.

I find it odd that the Villain keeps all attachments and statuses (which I suppose is going to help the Villain more often than the players) and the Main Scheme wouldn't, but they Main Scheme stages do have completely different names, where the Villain retains his name as you move along each stage. So that could be part of the reasoning. Either way, would like to see this actually mentioned in a Rules Reference update, but I think it gets discarded as the rules currently work.

The Villain keeping all attachments and statuses is part of why I figured it stuck around.

Interesting question! I just always assumed it got discarded when the stage advances - didn’t even give it a second thought! Will keep my eyes open for official rulings. In the meantime, I’ll keep playing as I have been - it seems a little too good if it stays “permanently” between main schemes.

It attaches to the Scheme not the scheme deck. You don’t transfer Spider Tracer to the next minion you’re engaged with when you defeat the minion it’s attached to, and the same principle applies here - you attached a card to another card in play. That card leaves play, and anything attached to it also leaves play.

4 hours ago, FearLord said:

It attaches to the Scheme not the scheme deck. You don’t transfer Spider Tracer to the next minion you’re engaged with when you defeat the minion it’s attached to, and the same principle applies here - you attached a card to another card in play. That card leaves play, and anything attached to it also leaves play.

Agreed, the villain retaining attachments is a specific exception to that general rule.

Answer from the big guy directly. Thanks Caleb!

Hi vmoss,

Glad you enjoy my games. Thanks for saying so!
Under Surveillance will be discarded when the scheme it is attached to is defeated.
Cheers,
Caleb

The only reason cards stay attached to the villain and nothing else, is because the whole point is that the villain's isn't a new guy, or him coming back again. He's the same dude, with the same weapons and status cards, but just more peeved.

Villain Phase 1)

Place the amount of threat indicated in the main
scheme’s acceleration field onto that scheme. If any
acceleration icons or tokens are active, additional threat
equal to the number of such icons and tokens is also
placed at this time.

'at this time' means simultaneously, right?

so the total threat from main scheme card and acceleration tokens/icons will be placed at the same time?

(for example, the counter intelligence card to prevent 3 threat can be activitated on that total?)

9 hours ago, soolmaan said:

Villain Phase 1)

Place the amount of threat indicated in the main
scheme’s acceleration field onto that scheme. If any
acceleration icons or tokens are active, additional threat
equal to the number of such icons and tokens is also
placed at this time.

'at this time' means simultaneously, right?

so the total threat from main scheme card and acceleration tokens/icons will be placed at the same time?

(for example, the counter intelligence card to prevent 3 threat can be activitated on that total?)

Yes. The scheme rises by a set amount all at once which is equal to the scheme’s rising amount + the acceleration tokens.

11 hours ago, FearLord said:

Yes. The scheme rises by a set amount all at once which is equal to the scheme’s rising amount + the acceleration tokens.

thanks much, appreciate it...

this makes counter-intelligence a pretty powerful card in solo.

(or at least for me, it does. I like playing against Klaw, and I run through his encounter deck really fast most of the time)

When an ally with a tough card takes collateral damage (such as Luke Cage), do we remove the tough card or put on one damage token?

Thank you.