THE MANDALORIAN, in a Civilized Age

By Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun, in Star Wars: Legion

Make sure to watch after the credits in today's episode. There's a 5-minute after credit segment.

7 hours ago, oreet said:

Make sure to watch after the credits in today's episode. There's a 5-minute after credit segment.

Star Wars Legion Scum and Mercenary faction confirmed?

1 hour ago, buckero0 said:

Star Wars Legion Scum and Mercenary faction confirmed?

First Commander and Operative confirmed too.

Based on the conversation in the finale, why was Sabine able to pass the dark saber to Bo-Katan in the final season of Rebels without any issue?

7 minutes ago, Weikel said:

Based on the conversation in the finale, why was Sabine able to pass the dark saber to Bo-Katan in the final season of Rebels without any issue?

Its more that no one respects you for obtaining it that way. I'm sure post Rebels Bo found it hard to convince most Mando's she was worthy of having it. That why now she wants to obtain it the worthy way.

1 hour ago, Welshie13 said:

Its more that no one respects you for obtaining it that way. I'm sure post Rebels Bo found it hard to convince most Mando's she was worthy of having it. That why now she wants to obtain it the worthy way.

Or this is a clever plot point to drive the story forward in season 3. This is a goofy RAI vs RAW situation when one stops to thinks about it. Mando could literally fake a fight and then lose without consequence and all would be right with the world.

4 hours ago, oreet said:

First Commander and Operative confirmed too.

They better have a neutral command card called "Maclunkey", which results in your operative or commander dying immediately.

Pretty weak finale episode in my opinion. The first season did well to have a 2 part finale.

No spoilers, but there wasnt much of a Dark Trooper payoff, the good guys won a little too easily, and the cameo felt rushed and weird.

The best part of the episode happened after the credits rolled.

Overall good season (more good episodes than bad) excited for the next one!

9 hours ago, Welshie13 said:

This seems pretty plausible, and explains why Mandalore was not able to unite enough to resist the Empire after the events of Star Wars: Rebels.

Im stoked for season 3 to dive into this and expand the story out to encompass Mandalorian politics. Now Din Djarin, a deathwatch member (though now questioning his beliefs it seems), holds the Darksaber. Im sure word will spread fast and other Deathwatch will try to gather around him and try to put him on the throne.

Meanwhile Bo Katan and her true Mando loyalists will try to rally to oppose it.

DOUBLE MEANWHILE Boba Fett the Mandalorian usurper will be gathering power as a new and rising rogue crime lord.

Made you look ...

b2z5z3h2m0661.jpg

1 hour ago, KommanderKeldoth said:

Pretty weak finale episode in my opinion. The first season did well to have a 2 part finale.

No spoilers, but there wasnt much of a Dark Trooper payoff, the good guys won a little too easily, and the cameo felt rushed and weird.

The best part of the episode happened after the credits rolled.

Overall good season (more good episodes than bad) excited for the next one!

Too many characters and threads going on simultaneously for 45min imo. Loved it, but it could have been done better. As i keep going back to, it smacks of a rushed shoot trying to stuff too much in to a truncated airtime before everything shut shop. Despite this it so many threads to pickup and setups for the spin offs without being too offensive about it. The mando up for several seasons worth of storytelling and mcu/arrowverse crossovers already if they so desire....

Edit: I read an article comparing this season of mando to ESB in it's direction, and it's a fitting comparison. Much and little were told at once, but tug on a story thread and get ready for the rabbit hole.

Edited by Ralgon
13 hours ago, Weikel said:

Between then and now Bo-Katan has lost the saber and the right to rule. It seems likely that the fact that Bo-Katan did not win the saber in battle last time is (at least partially) what led to her downfall, and she wants to do it right this time around.

Overall I liked the season, but it started to feel like Disney and FilFav were trying to set up too many separates series at once.

So either Grogu dies in 15 in-canon years or he leaves the academy early, or he "graduates", but then where was he during the whole ST?

I am one of the few (or at least it feels that way on the internet) who likes Luke in the Last Jedi, but it was nice to see him going ham and not being hamstrung by 70s/80s special effects and fight choreography. Also how I feel about Boba, nice to see him be a combat powerhouse this season and not get taken out by a flailing blind guy.

13 hours ago, Weikel said:

They better have a neutral command card called "Maclunkey", which results in your operative or commander dying immediately.

Disney is really doubling down on making "Maclunkry" stick.

8 hours ago, Ralgon said:

Edit: I read an article comparing this season of mando to ESB in it's direction, and it's a fitting comparison. Much and little were told at once, but tug on a story thread and get ready for the rabbit hole.

I was really hoping for and ESB style ending for the season. Everyone's captured and/or dead. Gideon continues to have the upper hand. And all seems lost. Unfortunately we got everything wrapped up in a nice little RotJ bow, albeit with too many unanswered questions (Why was Mando's face able to use the imperial computer? Where is Thrawn? Etc.).

I was getting ready for that big battle scene, then all the tension was removed when that X-Wing showed up. Why did the dark troopers stop punching (why didn't our heroes just turn them off from the command bridge)? Much like the prequels, droids just get cut down like a hot knife through butter when a lightsaber flashes to life. Also Luke's CGI face really took me out of the moment, much like Tarkin in Rogue One.

There are 2 lines that would have been nice to have; When the X-Wing Arrives "Ship approaching, X-Wing class". And once the blast doors are opened: "Who are you?" "Oh... the cloak. I'm Luke Skywalker. I'm here to rescue you". 😝

2 minutes ago, thestag said:

I was getting ready for that big battle scene, then all the tension was removed when that X-Wing showed up. Why did the dark troopers stop punching (why didn't our heroes just turn them off from the command bridge)? Much like the prequels, droids just get cut down like a hot knife through butter when a lightsaber flashes to life. Also Luke's CGI face really took me out of the moment, much like Tarkin in Rogue One.

There are 2 lines that would have been nice to have; When the X-Wing Arrives "Ship approaching, X-Wing class". And once the blast doors are opened: "Who are you?" "Oh... the cloak. I'm Luke Skywalker. I'm here to rescue you". 😝

Yeah everything about the climax felt lackluster and rushed to me. The characters seemed to just stand around and do nothing on the bridge while the darktroopers approached, besides uttering an unconvincing "They're headed this way". Only closing the blast doors. The tension could have been ramped up a lot more by having them try a few things to stop the DT's but having it fail.

Luke's entrance should have been a fan squee moment but instead felt kind of listless. His X-wing slowly arrives and the script forgets about the 3-4 TIE fighters that were launched a few minutes ago that would have tried to intercept.

And his actual appearance was made weird by the fact that he just instantly asks for the child and doesnt ask whats going on or if everything is all right. It makes him feel less like Luke the character than just a CGI plot device and deus ex machina.

The show commits some basic storytelling mistakes in this episode. This episode marks the very first time we see the Darksaber wielded in battle in live action and its completely ineffective against the main hero, which sucks all of the tension out of the fight. Its just Din Djarin beating up an old man while wearing full plate armor. From a story perspective it would have been a more effective scene (and episode) if Gideon had used his element of surprise to stab Mando between his beskar plates and start the fight with a big upper hand.

Overall this season has also overused Stormtroopers getting mowed down as filler for episodes to the point that its getting boring. They need to be shown being a threat occasionally or theres no tension or catharsis to it. The OT did this well by showing the very first stormtroopers we see gunning down a bunch of rebels, and the heroes have to consistently fall back from them in large numbers. Leia even gets shot in RotJ. In Mandalorian season 2 everyone is either in blaster proof beskar or doesnt need to wear it becuase they can just run forward shooting and never get hit.

The best scene in the finale episode is when Din is getting his clock cleaned by the darktrooper becuase theres actual stakes and challenge and tension. This is also what made chapter 15 (The Believer) so good. It put our hero out of their comfort zone and forces them to confront something about themselves.

Basically, should have been a 2 parter, but for the life of me I cant choose which episode they could have cut from the season.

1 hour ago, KommanderKeldoth said:

...but for the life of me I cant choose which episode they could have cut from the season.

Ice spiders.

2 hours ago, thestag said:

Ice spiders.

I liked that one, but yeah if you HAD to choose one you're probably right

Ugh this by thread is starting to remind me again that Star Wars fans suck. They find so little enjoyment in something they claim to love.

14 minutes ago, ninclouse2000 said:

Ugh this by thread is starting to remind me again that Star Wars fans suck. They find so little enjoyment in something they claim to love.

I loved the season as a whole and Im excited for the next one. Its just the finale episode didnt do it for me. I dont automatically have to love everything labeled 'Star Wars' and neither do you.

Yes we do. It's why most of us have Star Wars sheets even though they have such a low thread count.

Phew. Looks like we'll only have to wait a single interminably long year to find out what happens to the remaining plot threads rather than a couple. Plus we're getting two Star Wars shows next December, woo.

EDIT: Also on the criticism of the episode - didn't Boba roast the TIEs with his guns reversed before jumping out? I'm sure I remember that.

Edited by Yodhrin
10 hours ago, ninclouse2000 said:

9 hours ago, KommanderKeldoth said:

I loved the season as a whole and Im excited for the next one. Its just the finale episode didnt do it for me. I dont automatically have to love everything labeled 'Star Wars' and neither do you.

For me both statements are true and convenient. You don‘t have to love all Star Wars stuff. But why feel so many „fans“ the need to emphasize the things they don‘t like?

I once read about the art of writing good reviews. The author was a famous journalist who made his name with texts about theatre plays. He said: only write about the good things. And over the years I found this a wise suggestion. There‘s a difference in tone and style saying „I loved episodes 1-7.“ or „The finale sucks.“

Of course it‘s also completely reasonably to write about how things could have been made better. It‘s quite easy to dislike and to disdain creative decisions. You‘ll get a lot of support. To be destructive is quite safe and comfortable. But if you have to come up with own ideas you will risk to be criticized yourself (often by the same people). You‘ll find that it can be quite complicate to come up with coherent and popular storytelling.

Last thing is to express a negative critique as a personal dislike rather than a vale judgement. „The finale episode didn‘t do it for me.“ is fine as a statement, because it leaves room for another point of view. Why hurt anybody‘s feelings. Remember what the rant against Jar Jar did to the life of Ahmed Best.

For me Star Wars is entertainment and no religion. A good show makes me happy. Why should a bad show make me angry? I just try to forget and ignore what I don’t like. (It‘s like good and bad songs at an album. I can totally enjoy the good ones and skip the rest.) Nobody should dwell on his/hers negativity in so called fan forums. That‘s a path that leads to the dark side.

Happy holidays to all Star Wars fans! Take care and stay positive!

4 hours ago, Yodhrin said:

EDIT: Also on the criticism of the episode - didn't Boba roast the TIEs with his guns reversed before jumping out? I'm sure I remember that.

You might be right about that, I'll have to give it another watch.

On 12/19/2020 at 10:43 AM, oreet said:

Disney is really doubling down on making "Maclunkry" stick.

Filoni is never, ever, ever, ever, ever, going to do anything other than lean into everything Lucas does. He worships that man, it's not more complicated than that.