[UPDATE 15/12/19] Heroes On Both Sides - An unofficial Clone Wars supplement feat. 300+ NPCs, new playable species and more!

By Kualan, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Hello there folks!

Some of you may be familiar with the Clone Wars adversary cards I made (which you can view HERE ) that made stats for a whole host of Clone Wars-era NPCs from named Jedi right down to the likes of Black Sun foot soldiers and Mandalorian police officers.

Well for my next project I wanted to take that one step further and take those CW adversaries and turn them into a full-blown sourcebook in the same vein as the official Allies & Adversaries.

[UPDATED 15TH DECEMBER - FINAL BONUS CHAPTER NOW COMPLETE]

LATEST PDF (157MB) HERE (Google Drive) or HERE (Dropbox)

CHANGE LOG BELOW:

15th December 2019 - BONUS ADVERSARIES - COMPLETED AND UPLOADED (8 PAGES)

19th October 2019 - PLAYABLE SPECIES AND CLONE REGIMENTS - COMPLETED AND UPLOADED (10 PAGES)

16th October 2019 - SECTION SIX - PEOPLE AND PLANETS - COMPLETED AND UPLOADED (45 PAGES)

5th October 2019 - SECTION FIVE - FORCE USERS - COMPLETED AND UPLOADED (6 PAGES)

29th September 2019 - SECTION FOUR - SCUM AND VILLAINY - COMPLETED AND UPLOADED (25 PAGES)

21st September 2019 - SECTION THREE - THE SEPARATIST ALLIANCE - COMPLETED AND UPLOADED (26 PAGES)

15th September 2019 - SECTION TWO - THE GALACTIC REPUBLIC - COMPLETED AND UPLOADED (33 PAGES)

8th September 2019 - SECTION ONE - THE JEDI ORDER - COMPLETED AND UPLOADED (35 PAGES)

7th September 2019 - PREVIEW PAGES UPLOADED

I've done a few pages to get familiar with the SWRPG style guide, but am looking for feedback before I commit to using the same template for dozens more characters. So here you go, take a peak and let me know what you all think:

gqzogXp.jpg Z4u5m3K.jpg pYdFtkA.jpg shMMiyR.jpg

There will be a credits page in the final version that identifies as much of the art/artists used as possible. However a big mention goes to https://fanggrip.wordpress.com/2015/04/17/edge-of-the-empire-style-guide/ for the style guidance and https://kainrath.wordpress.com/ for the background page images.

Edited by Kualan

Tagging this to follow. Can't wait to see it when done.

Looks great, and look forward to seeing it completed as well.

I have used your cards on and off as well, though I admit, we changed what you have for the "generic" Jedi Force Ratings (usually down by 1. Just can't see an average youngling with a FR 2 and an average knight with a 4, master and padawan we all thought was appropriate, but *shrug*).

Either way, your work and effort are awesome. Thanks

5 hours ago, Jareth Valar said:

Looks great, and look forward to seeing it completed as well.

I have used your cards on and off as well, though I admit, we changed what you have for the "generic" Jedi Force Ratings (usually down by 1. Just can't see an average youngling with a FR 2 and an average knight with a 4, master and padawan we all thought was appropriate, but *shrug*).

Either way, your work and effort are awesome. Thanks

Thanks, glad you like and have got use out of the cards! I think that Youngling FR might be a oversight on my part - the Jedi kids should definitely be FR 1. I'll get that changed in the next round of updates.

But hey, people should of course change them to fit their own games just like they should with official stats.

Minor update: I have updated the pages so they now have black outlines for the dice symbols, which should make it easier on the eyes for everyone. Also made some minor tweaks to the example characters' Force powers.

This is amazing! Was already a fan of your adversary cards. Will definitely keep tabs on this.

Progress for the first section - the Jedi Order - is going well, here is the list of the entries in this section. Those in bold are done as of this morning - if progress continues well I may have the section ready before the weekend is out.

EDIT: Jedi Order section complete - see first post.

Edited by Kualan

Awesome! Will pay attention to this!

High quality. Awesome job

UPDATE 8TH SEPTEMBER - The Jedi Order section (35 pages) has been completed! See the first post for updated links to both full-resolution and lower-res (for mobile users) versions of the PDF. Sections to come include Galactic Republic, Separatist Alliance, Scum & Villainy and more. Also included is a credits pages for the art used and additional notes.

A few examples from the new update:

eu3ChGm.jpg aNy0ky8.jpg

Edited by Kualan

So with the Jedi Order section now complete and uploaded, work turns to the Galactic Republic, starting off with a couple of heavy hitters in the Republic military. Tarkin is a slightly toned-down version of his Grand Moff stat block from Dawn of Rebellion / Allies & Adversaries (fewer ranks in several skills to represent he is younger/earlier in his career), whilst Yularen is a souped-up version of the Republic Fleet Officer stat block.

9htjAMX.jpg XxaB79t.jpg

Edited by Kualan

Suggestions needed! I'm starting to get into the clone soldier part of the Galactic Republic section and want to make sure I'm including plenty of variants without either going overboard or missing any important ones.

What I plan to have so far:

Trooper

Sergeant

Captain

ARC Trooper

Commando

Cadet

Pilot

Ace

Naval Officer

Cold Assault Trooper

Scuba Trooper

Are there any other variants people feel would be worth having their own stat block? I initially considered Heavy Gunner , Flame Trooper and Riot Trooper but they might be a little superfluous? Thoughts?

I want to crack on with the clones as soon as possible so any suggestions/thoughts welcome!

Edited by Kualan

I would suggest heavy gunner, flame trooper, and riot trooper as they would have various skills specially trained or even ones that the others don't have. I'd make riot trooper and maybe flame trooper minions though.

Would you please also make stats for various famous clones? One idea would be to have stats for some of them at different stages throughout the show (i.e. cadet Fives, shiny Fives, trooper Fives, ARC trooper Fives).

Including a Commander would also be helpful as a baseline for major officer NPCs somewhat analogous to the rebel cell commander in the AoR CRB. They would be especially useful if you intend to use them for mass combat.

Thanks for doing these!

It might be nice to have minion, rival, nemesis level.

Ie pilot minion, pilot rival, pilot nemesus

6 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

I would suggest heavy gunner, flame trooper, and riot trooper as they would have various skills specially trained or even ones that the others don't have. I'd make riot trooper and maybe flame trooper minions though.

Would you please also make stats for various famous clones? One idea would be to have stats for some of them at different stages throughout the show (i.e. cadet Fives, shiny Fives, trooper Fives, ARC trooper Fives).

Including a Commander would also be helpful as a baseline for major officer NPCs somewhat analogous to the rebel cell commander in the AoR CRB. They would be especially useful if you intend to use them for mass combat.

Thanks for doing these!

Thank you for the suggestions! I am doing some famous clones too - Captain Rex and Commander Cody will have their own pages. I was toying with Echo/Fives and other commanders like Fox and Wolffe but the former can use the ARC trooper stats and a generic Nemesis-level Commander might be the way to go for the latter.

2 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

It might be nice to have minion, rival, nemesis level.

Ie pilot minion, pilot rival, pilot nemesus

The intention was to make pilot a minion, and ace would be the rival-level version. This would be to make it consistent with the FFG official material, which has a similar "two tier" system for Rebel and Imperial pilots.

Think like how in edge they have 3 levels of bounty hunter. Rookie, journeyman, veteran

5 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

Think like how in edge they have 3 levels of bounty hunter. Rookie, journeyman, veteran

I won't rule out a Nemesis-level pilot entirely, but maybe I'll make them a named character. Who are the best clone pilots? Odd Ball or Warthog, maybe?

Just now, Kualan said:

I won't rule out a Nemesis-level pilot entirely, but maybe I'll make them a named character. Who are the best clone pilots? Odd Ball or Warthog, maybe?

Warthog, Hawk, and Oddball are the ones that come to mind, but you could look at shadow squadron if you want. Hawk is my favorite, he flew pretty much anything. I can't remember all of his appearances, but he appeared in "Landing on Umbara" as a Gunship pilot and in the Zygerria arc as a Z-95 Headhunter pilot.

34 minutes ago, Kualan said:

That would be perfect. My thinking is to give gms options for what ever level they need. Ie a squadron leader plus 3 minion and 3 rivals with minions to do a full squadron

1 hour ago, Kualan said:

Suggestions needed! I'm starting to get into the clone soldier part of the Galactic Republic section and want to make sure I'm including plenty of variants without either going overboard or missing any important ones.

What I plan to have so far:

Trooper

Sergeant

Captain

ARC Trooper

Commando

Cadet

Pilot

Ace

Naval Officer

Cold Assault Trooper

Scuba Trooper

Are there any other variants people feel would be worth having their own stat block? I initially considered Heavy Gunner , Flame Trooper and Riot Trooper but they might be a little superfluous? Thoughts?

I want to crack on with the clones as soon as possible so any suggestions/thoughts welcome!

What about the Clones that were used as Coruscant Police?

Those, I believe, are the Riot Troopers.

Great work. Beautifully done. Just one main question though.

What source are you using for the named Jedi saber styles? I'm just not sure if you are using a source that I'm unaware of. Or are you using the guidelines that FFG has been? Just asking because several of the listed Jedi have very different styles than I can find reference to. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, just trying to understand your design process.

4 hours ago, Jareth Valar said:

Great work. Beautifully done. Just one main question though.

What source are you using for the named Jedi saber styles? I'm just not sure if you are using a source that I'm unaware of. Or are you using the guidelines that FFG has been? Just asking because several of the listed Jedi have very different styles than I can find reference to. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, just trying to understand your design process.

Are you referring to the '_____ Technique' talents that some Jedi have? These should not be taken as based wholly on lore (in truth, I find the concept of rigid saber forms a little silly anyway) but based on gameplay mechanics as the chosen Technique dictates which characteristic the lightsaber skill is linked to and nothing more. For example, I believe in canon Depa Billaba is said to have used Form III (Soresu) but in her stat block she has been given the Niman Technique because that talent means she uses Willpower for the Lightsaber skill instead of Brawn, which suits her character better.

It is the same reason Yoda is given Niman Technique in the official FFG stat block even though canonically he is supposed to primarily use Ataru.

Edited by Kualan
2 hours ago, Kualan said:

Are you referring to the '_____ Technique' talents that some Jedi have? These should not be taken as based wholly on lore (in truth, I find the concept of rigid saber forms a little silly anyway) but based on gameplay mechanics as the chosen Technique dictates which characteristic the lightsaber skill is linked to and nothing more. For example, I believe in canon Depa Billaba is said to have used Form III (Soresu) but in her stat block she has been given the Niman Technique because that talent means she uses Willpower for the Lightsaber skill instead of Brawn, which suits her character better.

It is the same reason Yoda is given Niman Technique in the official FFG stat block even though canonically he is supposed to primarily use Ataru.

Yeah, I remember seeing that with Yoda and scratching my head but YMMV. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and regardless, keep up the good work.

7 hours ago, Jareth Valar said:

Yeah, I remember seeing that with Yoda and scratching my head but YMMV. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and regardless, keep up the good work.

Thanks. I had a similar question from someone on the SWRPG subreddit when I released the adversary cards - if the form names are too off-putting then in your own games you could rename the talents to something less deeply tied to the lore. "Acrobatic Duelist" instead of Ataru Technique, "Disciplined Duelist" instead of Niman, etc.