[UPDATE 15/12/19] Heroes On Both Sides - An unofficial Clone Wars supplement feat. 300+ NPCs, new playable species and more!

By Kualan, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Today's update: lots of clone trooper pages done today, with more to be done as we head into the weekend. This is the page I think people will be most interested to see though, and the one I'm most eager to receive feedback on:

Thoughts, feedback and constructive criticism welcome.

fjw40s7.jpg

Edited by Kualan

I really like this, but just a small quibble, I don't think they should be Nemeses as I don't think that the characters or the statted NPCs are up to the power level of Nemeses.
I would suggest lowering Athletics, Cool, and Vigilance to 2 for both and giving the ARC Trooper at least 1 rank of Resilience.

I would view them as a high level Rival.

If you want to keep them as Nemeses though, I would still suggest giving the ARC Trooper 1 or 2 ranks of Resilience.

Upon further reflection, I realized that the Stormtrooper Sergeant (which is what I had in mind when I was mentally comparing power levels) has skills of 2, not 3, so I mostly take back what I said, although I still feel that Nemesis is too high, even though I think that it is necessary for the power level. Adversary 1 is the right choice.

I also think you should either give the Clone Commander Gunnery or change the DC-17m anti-armor mode to Ranged (Heavy),

Edited by P-47 Thunderbolt
19 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

I really like this, but just a small quibble, I don't think they should be Nemeses as I don't think that the characters or the statted NPCs are up to the power level of Nemeses.
I would suggest lowering Athletics, Cool, and Vigilance to 2 for both and giving the ARC Trooper at least 1 rank of Resilience.

I would view them as a high level Rival.

If you want to keep them as Nemeses though, I would still suggest giving the ARC Trooper 1 or 2 ranks of Resilience.

Thanks for the feedback! The thought process behind making them Nemeses was to compare them to other "top tier grunt" adversaries like IG-100 MagnaGuards, Clone Captains and Assassin Droids. I also thought ARC troopers and commandos would both benefit from having a Strain threshold.

I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing the stats for all the clones, I'm a big fan of clone troopers!

4 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing the stats for all the clones, I'm a big fan of clone troopers!

It's turned into quite the list, in all there will be 18 variants and 2 named characters (this is from memory since I'm away from my main PC now), grouped by page;

Captain, Sergeant, Trooper - done

Commander, Cadet, Vehicle Crew - done

Pilot, Ace, Gunnery Crew, Naval Officer - done

ARC Trooper, Commando - done

Cold Assault, Flame Trooper, Heavy Gunner

Medical Officer, Riot Trooper, Scuba Trooper

Captain Rex and Commander Cody

I'm also considering statting up Clone Force 99 - otherwise known as the Bad Batch, who will feature in the upcoming Season 7 of the Clone Wars show.

The "Band of Brothers" ability has a typo in it where Commando is written as "Comando".

Nice work, Kualan! From skimming through these are looking great! I'll try to get an opportunity soon to take a more in-depth look. This is a fantastic resource!

@Kualan I just realized, you forgot ARF troopers. Would you please stat them too?

Just now, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

@Kualan I just realized, you forgot ARF troopers. Would you please stat them too?

The ARFs are included as part of the Clone Vehicle Crew stat block - basically a Rival-class trooper that can pilot walkers.

12 minutes ago, Demigonis said:

The "Band of Brothers" ability has a typo in it where Commando is written as "Comando".

Nice work, Kualan! From skimming through these are looking great! I'll try to get an opportunity soon to take a more in-depth look. This is a fantastic resource!

Thanks for the spelling catch - there's a couple more in some Jedi pages that I've already caught and rectified for the next update, but keep 'em coming if you spot them.

Most of the Jedi will also have some tweaks to their statblocks on the next release (when I upload the Galactic Republic section). Nothing major, main changes were giving most of the Jedi Council an increase from Discipline 3 to 4, and a few buffs here and there for those I felt were a little underpowered.

Anyone care for some fan service mutated clone commandos with OP abilities?

I've also updated all the images posted in previous posts with their latest versions ahead of the updated PDF going up before (hopefully) the end of the weekend.

akVcE2J.jpg E7qtjL6.jpg

Edited by Kualan

Shouldn't Crosshair have 5 Agility? And shouldn't Hunter have 4 Cunning and some ranks in Survival (and maybe "Expert Tracker")?

24 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Shouldn't Crosshair have 5 Agility? And shouldn't Hunter have 4 Cunning and some ranks in Survival (and maybe "Expert Tracker")?

Oops, Hunter definitely should have Survival - 4 Cunning and Expert Tracker works too. I'll add those in.

5 Agility for Crosshair would be a bit much I think - look how many dice he rolls with his sniper rifle already, plus his Precise Aim ranks means he already has an easy time hitting whoever he attacks.

EDIT: Changes to Hunter added.

Edited by Kualan
On 9/12/2019 at 12:16 PM, Kualan said:

Thanks. I had a similar question from someone on the SWRPG subreddit when I released the adversary cards - if the form names are too off-putting then in your own games you could rename the talents to something less deeply tied to the lore. "Acrobatic Duelist" instead of Ataru Technique, "Disciplined Duelist" instead of Niman, etc.

The names aren't off putting, the obvious changes from the character to artificially (how it feels) bump their die pool. Changing to the above escriptors would bug me more I think. lol

To be honest, most of the characters die pools wound't change at all given their current stats, but Ahsoka having Shien (same die pool), Kit Fisto having Chi-cho (same die pool), etc would alleviate a little bit of the "itchy scalp" syndrome.

The only one that it would affect in a major way (if at all) would be Yoda really. Ataru would give him YYGGG until he uses Enhance. TBH, Yoda knowing Niman fits too, but maybe put a "hat tip" to his main style being Ataru. Dunno.

I do find it interesting that you gave Mace and Deepa Niman. That actually pairs nicely with Juyo I think.

As for changing things to fit my game, LOL, that has NEVER been a problem.

@Kualan You forgot the "-Setback" symbols on Survival for Hunter. His pool should be YYYG BB

Edit: I just remembered that that is only for tracking targets, so never mind.

6 minutes ago, Jareth Valar said:

The names aren't off putting, the obvious changes from the character to artificially (how it feels) bump their die pool. Changing to the above escriptors would bug me more I think. lol

To be honest, most of the characters die pools wound't change at all given their current stats, but Ahsoka having Shien (same die pool), Kit Fisto having Chi-cho (same die pool), etc would alleviate a little bit of the "itchy scalp" syndrome.

The only one that it would affect in a major way (if at all) would be Yoda really. Ataru would give him YYGGG until he uses Enhance. TBH, Yoda knowing Niman fits too, but maybe put a "hat tip" to his main style being Ataru. Dunno.

I do find it interesting that you gave Mace and Deepa Niman. That actually pairs nicely with Juyo I think.

As for changing things to fit my game, LOL, that has NEVER been a problem.

I see your point, but to FFG's credit, I think the saber technique talents are quite an elegant solution to the issue that despite Jedi coming in all shapes and sizes, with different skillsets and specialities, they're almost always invariably badass with a lightsaber (even Jocasta Nu or Tera Sinube can break out some whoop-*** when they need to). And since a 2 in Brawn is going to put a hard cap on how many yellow die a character can roll, it neatly sidesteps having to make a choice between limiting the character's Lightsaber dice output or unfairly boosting a characteristic that doesn't fit the character (and which has a knock-on effect for all other skills linked to that characteristic).

Most characters do benefit from their chosen technique in some way - Kit Fisto is an exception since I believe I gave him Ataru prior to buffing his Brawn, so his Ataru Technique is a bit redundant now. Ahsoka uses the technique given to her by FFG's official statblock.

4 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

@Kualan You forgot the "-Setback" symbols on Survival for Hunter. His pool should be YYYG BB

That's actually deliberate - I only include the -Setback symbols when these are deducted from all checks using that skill (like Jocasta Nu's Researcher or the Jedi Ace's Skilled Jockey). Because Expert Tracker is situational (it only applies to Survival checks that relate to tracking, not all Survival checks as a whole) the -Setback symbols are not used. Same approach for Tech with his Bypass Security and Codebreaker talents.

Just now, Kualan said:

That's actually deliberate - I only include the -Setback symbols when these are deducted from all checks using that skill (like Jocasta Nu's Researcher or the Jedi Ace's Skilled Jockey). Because Expert Tracker is situational (it only applies to Survival checks that relate to tracking, not all Survival checks as a whole) the -Setback symbols are not used. Same approach for Tech with his Bypass Security and Codebreaker talents.

Yeah, I had just realized that and amended my comment, sorry.

Just now, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Yeah, I had just realized that and amended my comment, sorry.

No problem! I'm glad there are people that are happy to go through these stat blocks in such detail.

@Kualan I'm sorry I'm so late on this, but should the ARC trooper have Piloting (Planetary)? The specialization includes Piloting (Planetary) as a skill for them because it sort of assumes that they might use a jetpack. I have also often pictured ARCs as being competent BARC pilots (or any other personal transport easily at hand) as a result of their frequent solo actions.

46 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

@Kualan I'm sorry I'm so late on this, but should the ARC trooper have Piloting (Planetary)? The specialization includes Piloting (Planetary) as a skill for them because it sort of assumes that they might use a jetpack. I have also often pictured ARCs as being competent BARC pilots (or any other personal transport easily at hand) as a result of their frequent solo actions.

That's a fair suggestion, and is consistent with FFG's depiction of ARC troopers so far - will add it in and update the previous preview image.

I also decided to rename the Clone Vehicle Crew back to Clone ARF Trooper as well.

Another marathon Photoshop session today means there are just five pages left to do before the Galactic Republic section is complete so expect that to be uploaded before the weekend is out.

One more preview though, because I couldn't resist. I'm still in two minds about whether or not to give him ranks in Adversary.

aXjT7vL.jpg

Edited by Kualan

Give him Adversary 3! He seems like he would cause a LOT of Despair to be generated. (And I guess "Dodge" mostly covers that)

Other than that, I would say no, no Adversary.

Shouldn't Jar-Jar have un- coordination? ;)

And, since I keep coming up with new things to mention, what is "Improved Distracting Behavior?" Where is that statted? And Improved version of Dodge.

8 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

And, since I keep coming up with new things to mention, what is "Improved Distracting Behavior?" Where is that statted? And Improved version of Dodge.

Improved Distractive Behavior is from the Performer talent tree, and Improved Dodge is from either Martial Artist or Steel Hand Adept (or both, can't quite remember).