Podcast - Fangs Out!

By Jeff Wilder, in X-Wing

3 hours ago, Jeff Wilder said:

It's a good show. Hope y'all join us, and, as always, please give us unvarnished comments, criticism, and suggestions.

It really is. I was aware about their history (mainly facebook clashes) and I let out a loud "ooooooooh snap" when Tyler was announced. I have nothing constructive to say, the whole thing was a very informative and pleasant breeze!

It was one of my main priorities at LVO to meet Tyler and make sure there wasn't any real bad blood. I'm new to you all's sandbox, and I would like to be known as contentious but friendly.

Really happy Tyler agreed to come on the show, he clearly thinks about X wing on levels much deeper than I have learned to do and it was a very enlightening experience.

Wide World of Wargaming (X-Wing) episode 55 is now available. This episode was recorded on February 19th, 2020.

https://wwwargaming.podbean.com/e/wide-world-of-wargaming-x-wing-episode-55-a-day-long-remembered/

Vince has been very busy, so this one came out of the editing booth late. I'm posting without listening, and thus without much of a blurb, for that reason. After I get a chance to listen, I may come back and edit in my usual customized blurb.

Our (Vince, Drew, and Jeff!) guest on this show is the Greedy Dragon, co-host of the Fly Better Podcast, Dee Yun. Dee and I go back a long time ( ... a long time), and he's one of my favorite people in X-Wing. I really appreciate his commitment to logic, to supporting his opinions, and to admitting when he gets something wrong. (I also appreciate that he's willing to crow -- just a little! -- when he gets something right, against whatever consensus exists, I have to admit.) He's also just plain a good person.

In other news, I wrote a couple of short posts with actual content, and if our listeners would like to comment on them, I'm going to try to carve out a little time on a near-future show to address any questions or comments.

The 10(?) Skills of X-Wing - https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/305888-the-10-skills-of-x-wing/

Movement Hacks in X-Wing - https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/305885-movement-hacks-in-x-wing/

As always, please don't shy away from general comments, cristicism, and suggestions. We can all take it!

Y'all have a good week!

This is very tardy, and I apologize. I've been extremely busy, with work, personal life, and X-Wing (including getting ROFLstomped in my first Store Champ of the season), and this just slid off my plate.

Wide World of Wargaming (X-Wing) episodes 56 and 57 have been available! These episodes were recorded on 2/26 and 3/4, respectively.

https://wwwargaming.podbean.com/e/wide-world-of-wargaming-the-rumor-mill/

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-hxtj5-d5a438?utm_campaign=au_share_ep&utm_medium=dlink&utm_source=au_share

Episode 56 is a fun tight little episode that gets back to basic, with just me, Vince, and Drew, talking about a tournament and a massive leak we missed from a few weeks ago.

Episode 57 sees Vince and Drew, with Bay Area ex-pat Ben Smith, talking about various subjects, including breaking down Ben's Store Champ list, in which he chose Emon Azzameen over Boba Fett in a three-ship Scum squadron.

Y'all have a good week!

Just wanted to emphasize that CLT and predator are not remotely the same because, as you pointed out Jeff, CLT adds a die.

Focus+Force+CLT on 2 dice results in 2.5 on average, with 94% for 2-3 hits. That's better than optics+heroics Awings. That gets even more interesting at range 1, where the expected increases to 3.25 with 84% for 3-4 hits . Removing the focus drops these numbers to 2 (75% for 2-3) and 2.5 (50% for 3-4). That directly rewards good maneuvering, punishes the opponent for mistakes, and goes down when repositions are used to correct the position. Seems both very strong but also skill dependent, which is pretty cool to me.

If you compare that to predator on 2 dice... let's say the ship has somehow force and predator (plus the focus as above), then the range 2-3 attack gets 1.83 with 84% for 2hits . That is pretty much the same as optics+heroic (or Howlrunner+focus obviously). Range one improves that to 2.68 and 95% for 2-3 hits . So to put it more succintly: CLT is pretty much equivalent to a constant range1 attack with predator . It's not remotely close.

On 3/21/2020 at 7:43 AM, GreenDragoon said:

Just wanted to emphasize that CLT and predator are not remotely the same because, as you pointed out Jeff, CLT adds a die.

Did Vince go off on a rant about this? Did he try to argue Predator was comparable? *facepalm*

On 3/27/2020 at 7:44 PM, Jeff Wilder said:

Episode 60 of Wide World of Wargaming (X-Wing) is available. No listen, no blurb. This episode was recorded on 3/26/2020.

https://wwwargaming.podbean.com/e/wide-world-of-wargaming-x-wing-ep-60-living-la-vita-livestream/

We talk about the FFG live-stream, our wants for Aces packs, and a little about VASSAL and Tabletop Simulator.

Y'all have a good week.

Great episode as usual guys.... nicely done.

...this pint’s for you.

Episode 62 of Wide World of Wargaming (X-Wing) is available! ( ... Has been for a little while. My bad.) This episode was recorded on April 4th, 2020, during the height of the Great Pandemic Shelter-in-Place of 2020.

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-hfuvq-d8d888?utm_campaign=w_share_ep&utm_medium=dlink&utm_source=w_share

A significant part of this is Vince asking me for my views in reaction to Fly Better Podcast's episode, guest-starring Raithos, discussing the similarities of poker and X-Wing. I've been a serious poker player for almost 30 years now, and my view definitely diverges from Raithos' to a large extent. (There's also a fair amount of overlap; he's not entirely, or even majorly, wrong, after all.)

Anyway, as always -- especially now, oh, please, God -- give us something to talk about, with regard to your questions, comments, suggestions, and criticism. Vince is an absolute alchemist in getting 60 minutes of content from basically air, but still ... we want to hear from you!

Y'all have a good week.

Edited by Jeff Wilder
On 3/29/2020 at 4:49 PM, clanofwolves said:

...this pint’s for you.

Who measures tea by the pint?

On 4/18/2020 at 2:50 PM, Npmartian said:

Who measures tea by the pint?

After 5, everything is measured in pints.

Hey @Jeff Wilder I had forgotten about it but Saturday I saw one of those card sets I had mentioned some time during the winter. They contain a small pseudo slate plate, a chalk pen, and a sponge to track the score in a game of cards. This particular set also has a sharpener in the lid.

https://imgur.com/a/0gzbepb

AECu84E.jpg

Two more images in the album. The sponge, pen and slate fit into easily into my kit. Haven't tried it yet at an event, for obvious reasons, but I think it might work quite well.

That's pretty sweet!

I am, of course, highly confused by your measurement scale, though.

1 minute ago, Jeff Wilder said:

That's pretty sweet!

I am, of course, highly confused by your measurement scale, though.

But you did recognize that it is a measurement scale. I see that as a step in the right direction 😉

Episode 65 of the Wide World of Wargaming (X-Wing) is now available! I have to be honest ... I genuinely can't remember when we recorded this. I had to look it up ... April 28th, 2020. We're stretching out episodes a little, as Vince changes his life circumstances (significantly and positively), and it's tougher to record during the transition. But we'll be ready to get back to normal when, you know, things get back to normal.

https://wwwargaming.podbean.com/e/wide-world-of-wargaming-x-wing-episode-65-imperial-logjam/

We spend the majority of the show talking about the Space Jam results. I'm listening now, and it's a pretty good and tight show.

Not to tease, but we have a pretty high-profile guest on an upcoming show, thanks to Vince schmoozing way above our normal fighting class.

Y'all have a good week.

Listening right now. As someone who will play in the "Rome" SpaceJam:

• I expect to play very few turns per tournament round. That means I want to play something front-loaded. Swarms would be that, but your point is exactly what I think: I don't want to set up a swarm on the computer. That is too imprecise and leads to all these inaccuracies down the line - even though the maneuvers are of course much more accurate than on the table.
  • I've also seen a ton of aces. So, whatever hurts aces is a good meta call in my opinion
  • Because of those points, I will bring VaderSoontirHomiebro instead of a list where I need a precise setup and good maneuvers. Maybe you've seen me mention this list earlier, I've been playing it since late January now, just not very often. 5th Brother is exactly what I want against other aces. Except my Soontir gets a shield and outmaneuver (predator/crack might be the better choice, but I love outmaneuver...) because bids are not too deep at the moment - 195 seems to win a lot right now.

We'll see how well it will go, I've yet to play a game on TTS, so that will be a factor, next to the matchup luck, daily form, focus, and so on. But at least that's why I pick that list.

Also, LeHuse is awesome ;_;

Episode 66 -- oh, my God, we forgot to make any Order 66 jokes! -- of the Wide World of Wargaming (X-Wing) is now available! We recorded this on May 14th, 2020, so Vince did amazing work on the editing turnaround. (And there's a good reason for that!)

https://wwwargaming.podbean.com/e/wide-world-of-wargaming-x-wing-episode-66-skitch-how-did-we-get-here/

Somehow -- I honestly don't know how (except that Vince is an exceptional schmoozer) -- Vince lined up current X-Wing World Champion and all-around fantastic Englishman and individual ... Oli Pocknell. Frankly, I'm not sure we deserve it, but every single guest we've had on the show has been an absolute pleasure, and Mr. Pocknell just builds on that, effortlessly. Thank you again, Oli; it was such a fun conversation.

I don't wanna talk too much about what we talked about, but we really ranged all over the place, and Oli didn't just indulge us, he actively participated and made a fantastic show.

If you listen to no other podcast episode during this particular apocalypse, make it this one!

Y'all have a good week!

On 5/9/2020 at 5:47 PM, GreenDragoon said:

We'll see how well it will go, I've yet to play a game on TTS, so that will be a factor, next to the matchup luck, daily form, focus, and so on. But at least that's why I pick that list.

So, that didn't work out that well in the end.

Game 1 against Anakin Mace (both 7b) and Obi worked out well.
Game 2 paired with a friend, playing a really cool scummy list . Came down to three 50:50s, and I lost all three of them.
Game 3 against an objectively better player with Kylo Vonreg Scorch and an Epsilon. Started well, trading Soontir for Kylo, then half Fifth for half Vonreg. After that he simply outplayed me and I didn't get another shot.
Game 4 against 5 SFs with Homings. Two really important blunders on my part that cost me the game. And 13HP vs 10 homing missiles don't allow much room for mistakes.
Game 5 against a rebel list, worked out well again.
Game 6 was one of the more frustrating ones. Changed from 90% won to 100% lost in 2 turns.

Feels like a 4-2 was possible. But also that I maybe should have played the 5 recommended games before instead of a single one. However, Brunching and watching community between tournament rounds is my new favorite thing

That was a really good episode. Great guest, great themes, good flow, and a lot of humor.

Small point though, GDW is not GW, completely independent of each other. Those were times, I still have a full set if 2300AD on my attic....

6 hours ago, Managarmr said:

That was a really good episode. Great guest, great themes, good flow, and a lot of humor.

Small point though, GDW is not GW, completely independent of each other. Those were times, I still have a full set if 2300AD on my attic....

That's a huge point! Thanks for the correction, and for listening ... especially close enough to catch my mistake.

On 5/15/2020 at 3:01 PM, Jeff Wilder said:

https://wwwargaming.podbean.com/e/wide-world-of-wargaming-x-wing-episode-66-skitch-how-did-we-get-here/

If you listen to no other podcast episode during this particular apocalypse, make it this one!

Y'all have a good week!

You are correct Jeff, this was ‘you guys’ best epidode and a load of interesting fun to listen to. ****, it might just be the best X-Wing episode of all podcasts I’ve ever heard.

Props to you and your mates and Oli, well done!

This pint’s for y’all.

No new podcast yet, but I wanted to piggyback on this to point interested persons to some streamed games that have occurred, are occurring, and will continue to occur. The Bay Area's Militant Casuals (not directly affiliated with the podcast, or vice-versa) is currently running its second Jank Tank League, and games are being streamed on YouTube when possible, and there are previous games up on YouTube as well, in the Militant Casuals channel.

Many of these games have our own Vince as a co-commentator, so there's that, and even if not they are all pretty enjoyable.

One caveat: like our podcast, the audio for these is definitely PG-13 (at best). If you're dumb enough to think your kids don't know these words yet, and you want to continue to be that dumb, don't expose them to this heinous language!

Edited by Jeff Wilder

Got a twofer for you guys!

Episode 68 of Wide World of Wargaming (X-Wing) is up! This episode was recorded on Monday, June 1st, 2020.

https://wwwargaming.podbean.com/e/wide-world-of-wargaming-x-wing-episode-68-we-had-to-ask/

This show, honestly, surprised me with how good it turned out. Drew was in great form, Vince adhered to his usual professional-adjacent standards, and I did my usual (for better or worse). We discuss the LA Space Jam, a little bit about what we've been flying, and a little bit about what we expect and hope for with possible upcoming points changes.

In addition, I did some commenting for the first time on a fun -- if one-sided -- Jank Tank VASSAL league. This league is in its second iteration. It's run selflessly by Militant Casuals co-founder Ben Smith, and it's been fun so far. (Even though I did somehow manage to lose my first game ... ) This particular game is one between Chris Langland's Republic squad, and Tommy Nguyen's Imperials ... and remember, this is a Jank Tank League, so you'll see stuff you don't expect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjImhug5Ko0

Like I said, this is my first time commentating, but Vince has sat in the chair for a few of these games with Ben, and the two of them are actually really good together. I hope y'all will check out a few more of the games and subscribe to Militant Casuals!

Y'all have a good week.