Podcast - Fangs Out!

By Jeff Wilder, in X-Wing

Okay, I have literally no idea why the other thread was closed, and the mods haven't seen fit to respond to at least a couple of us asking, so let's try it again!

Wide World of Wargaming (X-Wing) episode 32 is available!

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-33tmu-bc984e?utm_campaign=w_share_ep&utm_medium=dlink&utm_source=w_share

Vince, Drew and I start out by discussing a weird rules interaction that personally affected me, then we segue into covering Hyperspace Trials. As usual, we focus our discussion on those lists that we find particularly interesting in one way or another. (While on this subject, let me say this: if we are covering an event you're in, and you did well, I promise, we're not snubbing you. It's more a matter of our individual subjects of myopia. Vince finds some lists and subjects he likes to talk about, Drew others, and me still others. If we didn't mention you or your list, think of it more as you didn't trigger our neuroses, not that we think your list isn't discussion-worthy!)

Vince did particularly well in a local(-ish) HST, finishing in the Top 4 with a Rebel Impossible Meat list, and we talk about that, and then -- drama! -- I confront Vince about his arguable lack of precision with his ships and templates. Drew jumped in ... and since Drew and I "came up" under the same influences in X-Wing, I completely understand why Vince felt piled on, and I again apologize for that, Vince. It absolutely was not planned or anything. Anyway, it may or may not surprise our listener ... s, but Vince's after-reaction to quarreling is, IMO, remarkable. He shakes it off better than almost anybody I've ever seen. It's truly an admirable thing.

As always, with absolute sincerity, please offer up questions, comment, criticism, and suggestions where you're reading this (or on the WWW Facebook page). If you're an iTunes users, iTunes ratings can really help get us exposure, also.

Oh, and I'm running out of recognizable Vader quotes! Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi!

Edited by Jeff Wilder

You discuss 3 game systems and indicate that you have a time stamp to separate them.

I have a quick and possible dumb question. On iTunes, have you just separated the topics into three different podcasts?

You can't Crack Shot a Jamming Beam or Tractor Beam attack in 2.0. Crack Shot is primary attack only.

Crack Shot

1 hour ago, Chudley said:

You discuss 3 game systems and indicate that you have a time stamp to separate them.

I have a quick and possible dumb question. On iTunes, have you just separated the topics into three different podcasts?

We split them up into separate podcasts (under the WWW umbrella) about 15-20 episodes ago, yeah.

Edited by Jeff Wilder

Wide World of Wargaming (X-Wing) episode 33 is available! This episode was recorded on August 26th, 2019.

https://wwwargaming.podbean.com/e/wide-world-of-wargaming-x-wing-episode-33-both-sides-of-the-atlantic/

This is a pretty tight episode, squeaking in at under an hour. I was pretty exhausted, so mellower than usual. Most of y'all will appreciate that!

We discuss the results of the XTC tournament in Poland. (We got the winner wrong -- we weren't even close! -- so congrats to Spain! Germany finished second, Netherlands third, and Poland actually got fourth. Jolly Ol' England got fifth, and -- we got this one right! -- the United States team made a quite respectable 6th.) We also discuss the results of the Canadian Nationals, and we compare and contrast Europe and Canadian metas ... they were very, very different, if these tournaments are fair representations.

Along the way we try to figure out whether Force or high-Init perfect-knowledge movement is the biggest dominator in the game right now. (The answer is "both," but if you had to pick one ... ) And I again make my case for "First Player Random."

I will actually talk about this some on-air, but it occurred to me as I was listening to this episode: people might listen and think we think X-Wing is busted and bad. We absolutely don't. Speaking for myself, I'm having more fun with X-Wing than I have since maybe Wave 3 of 1E, and considering I'm in the worst competitive slump I've ever been in, that's saying something. Even the stuff we're complaining about is, compared to the worst excesses of 1E, absolutely small-time. If you'd asked me to rate 1E, 20 months ago, on a scale of 1-to-10, I'd have said, "2, and I'm on my way out the doors." Luckily 2E was announced, and I'd rate 2E a 9, so ... it's a good game, y'all. But, frankly, complaining is easier content, and -- to be fair -- 9 is less than 10 ... we here at WWW(X) would love to see X-Wing as a 10!

As always, criticize, suggest, comment, and question, wherever you're reading this. We will see it, we will read it, we will take it seriously, and we're fairly likely to address it on the show. If you use iTunes, we'd love if you left us a rating.

Anyway, Happy Friday (as I post this), and have a great weekend.

Tournament Finals are 120m minutes (2 hours).

We're back! Stop groaning! You! Stop groaning! The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Episode 34 of Wide World of Wargaming (X-Wing) is now available! This episode was recorded on September 9th, 2019.

https://wwwargaming.podbean.com/e/wide-world-of-wargaming-x-wing-episode-34-nova-open-and-the-putrid-state-of-the-meta/

It's a fairly light-and-tight show this week. (Don't tell Vince, but I think the title he's given this episode is way too pessimistic. Just remember: he was not around for the REAL problems in X-Wing 1E.) We start out by examining the NOVA Open, as usual looking for notable trends and lists that we like. We move on to look at some data posted by svelok -- shout out and thanks to him! -- pertaining to stats for entry, cut-making, and conversion rate for NOVA, Extended, and HSTs. It's interesting data, and because we are who we are, we definitely see confirmation of things we've been ringing the alarms about for a few weeks now.

The highlight of the show, for me, is Vince continuing to pronounce the Kihraxz correctly. Y'all have no idea how much the language nerd in me appreciates it when people make an effort on stuff like that. (In other news, it's "rik oh-lee-AY." Go forth and pronounce correctly.)

With the time off, there's an inevitable loss of a little momentum, so I'm gonna ask again: please point a friend in the direction of Wide World of Wargaming (X-Wing), if you can do so in good conscience! As ever, please, please, please hit us with comments, criticism, suggestions, and questions. Personally speaking, I'd love suggestions for some show topics ... I love talking about tournaments and lists and point costs as much as anybody, but if there's stuff y'all would find interesting to get our takes on, ask us! I'd love to talk about more aspects of the game.

Y'all have a good week.

Jamming Beam strips Reinforce tokens. :D

Your inadvertent summary of S&V tricks when you talked about the Torkil list is dead on. No other faction relies so heavily on their opponent not knowing how their abilities work for them to succeed than Scum. Tricks beat fools and the ignorant. When the ignorant have faced it, they're no longer ignorant and all the S&V player has left are the fools. Fools rarely make it into the cut...

Edited by Hiemfire
1 hour ago, Jeff Wilder said:

The highlight of the show, for me, is Vince continuing to pronounce the Kihraxz correctly.

In what language is "xz" pronounced "jjj"???

2 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

In what language is "xz" pronounced "jjj"???

English. In English, consecutive harsh consonants are usually pronounced in a muddled, gutteral way.

(Also Klingon ... )

54 minutes ago, Jeff Wilder said:

English. In English, consecutive harsh consonants are usually pronounced in a muddled, gutteral way.

(Also Klingon ... )

? Interesting. I've always pronounced that combo "ksz".

“Arvel solves all problems”

you guys just handing out secrets over here!

As @TasteTheRainbow has already discovered, Wide World of Wargaming (X-Wing) episode 35 is available! This episode was recorded on 9/16/19.

https://wwwargaming.podbean.com/e/wide-world-of-wargaming-x-wing-episode-35-here-comes-the-sun/

I (Jeff, nice to meet you) was unavailable to record due to a family thing, and Vince and Drew definitely handled things admirably without me! It's a nice, focused show, with good professional back and forth from Vince, and none of my unprofessional hijinks! (I like to think I'm funny, but so few other people do ... !) Anyway, they have a fairly in-depth talk about the recent release of Wave 5, concentrating (naturally) on the new ships ... the Y-wing BTL-B and the Nantex. Enjoy!

As ever, please comment, question, criticize, and suggest. (Aside to DJ ... your question was great, and if I have anything to say about it, we'll be addressing it on-air!) If you can do it without guilt, pick one victim this week, and point us out to him or her. We'll really appreciate it!

Y'all have a good week!

Wide World of Wargaming (X-Wing) episode 36 is available! This episode was recorded on 2019-09-25.

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-8fb9m-c10cd3?utm_campaign=au_share_ep&utm_medium=dlink&utm_source=au_share

I rejoin Drew and Vince, and we -- to put it simply -- blitz through results for five Hyperspace Trials. As usual when we do this, we're picking out lists we like and find interesting, spend some time noting trends, and of course don't hesitate to poke at each other a little bit, in good-natured fun.

We really appreciate our listeners, so if you're one of them, we appreciate you! (If you're not one of them, tell us why!) If you have comments, suggestions, criticism, and questions, please don't hesitate to share them. We have enough narcissism in us that we like to know people are listening, even if they don't love us just to pieces, unconditionally.

Y'all have a good week!

hey @Jeff Wilder could you do me a favor and shame the people who didn't enter their lists in the Sacramento Great Game Escape HST on August 17th? Currently 22/64 are missing, and that pushes it below my arbitrary completion threshold for tournaments to consider

https://listfortress.com/tournaments/997

Particularly Darryl and a guy called Vince M. ;)

edit: oh, I just saw that there's a second, partially complementary entry... nevermind then, that puts it at 50/64

https://listfortress.com/tournaments/1001

Edited by GreenDragoon

Even so, I will mention it, @GreenDragoon , to see if we can get it to 100%.

I’ve flown that 18-dice i1 imperial list off and on for awhile. I like it better with two alphas and 3 strikers.

I’m not taking it to Hyperspace because it just gets stomped by TA-175 swarms.

1 hour ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

I’m not taking it to Hyperspace because it just gets stomped by TA-175 swarms.

Wait. Why?

Timing Window means the droids don't get their calculates until they're removed. And they're removed at the end of I1 engagement. Meaning... nobody gets a calculate!

Not going to argue over the legality tournament rules wise over taking the Rebel YT-1300 (Modified YT-1300) to use as the Resistance YT-1300 (Scavenged YT-1300) since it isn't, just going to suggest that Vince checks with the TO before hand. The TO should be fine with it and having checked his *** will be covered if someone causes **** with him for the model.

On 9/27/2019 at 3:27 PM, BowBaller said:

Wait. Why?

Timing Window means the droids don't get their calculates until they're removed. And they're removed at the end of I1 engagement. Meaning... nobody gets a calculate!

Yea that’s true for other locales probably. There’s been a bunch of guys here not running at i1.

Edited by TasteTheRainbow

At least, in many European countries, you do not have to sell your X-wing collection in order to pay medical treatment when you are "unlucky enough" to get sick ;)

I think one of the confounding factors in having very few Separatist swarms early showing up in the European meta, is just FFG's inability to deliver enough product to Europe. Getting 1 Guardian pack and 1-2 Jedis was still comparatively easy, compared to trying to get 6+ Vultures, just not enough on sale anywhere.

11 hours ago, Managarmr said:

At least, in many European countries, you do not have to sell your X-wing collection in order to pay medical treatment when you are "unlucky enough" to get sick ;)

Hey, I'm with you! My comment was a sardonic tweak of Vince, which possibly wasn't obvious enough.

Episode 37 of Wide World of Wargaming (X-Wing) episode 37 is up! This episode was recorded on Monday, September 30th, 2019.

https://wwwargaming.podbean.com/e/wide-world-of-wargaming-x-wing-episode-37-if-it-aint-broke-dont-faq-it/

Unfortunately, we're missing Drew this episode, as his Actual Life intervened. We're definitely lesser without Drew, but he has a LOT of important stuff on his plate -- not least of which is his upcoming marriage to my favorite TIE swarm player (no offense, Dallas!), Sherry -- so we stuggle on. Luckily, the topic for the show is the Rules References changes, and that lends itself pretty well to back-and-forth between only two people.

It's pretty obvious that both Vince and I are still wrapping our heads around some of the changes, so if you're also in that boat, you might get a good amount of clarification from listening to us work it out as we move through the document! (I hope so, anyway.)

As usual, always, and ever, please hit us with comments, criticism, suggestions, and questions. Post them wherever you downloaded this, or saw the download link, or head stright to the Wide World of Wargaming Facebook page and post there. We genuinely care what you think ... and you should take advantage of that, because to be honest both Vince and I are otherwise very limited in caring what other people think! (Drew, on the other hand, does care. He is the best of us, no doubt.)

Y'all have a good week!

I find myself dreading you talking him through the differences between Player Order and Initiative (namely that Initiative has no bearing on the Ability Queue at all).