Podcast - Fangs Out!

By Jeff Wilder, in X-Wing

13 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

I find myself dreading you talking him through the differences between Player Order and Initiative (namely that Initiative has no bearing on the Ability Queue at all).

Never comes up, so have no fear! (FWIW, my own understanding of when Init Order matters outside of Engagement is shaky enough that I have to reply on others or look it up.)

Just now, Jeff Wilder said:

Never comes up, so have no fear! (FWIW, my own understanding of when Init Order matters outside of Engagement is shaky enough that I have to reply on others or look it up.)

System Phase: Low to High.

Activation Phase: Low to High.

Engagement Phase: High to Low.

:)

Hello to our lovely friends and audience, host and clown-in-chief Vince here updating this thread with our latest episode!

https://wwwargaming.podbean.com/e/wide-world-of-wargaming-x-wing-episode-38-return-of-the-ricktatorship/

Jeff took the week off so we are lucky to be joined by Rick Ruddell of team Militant Casual, where we cover a handful of Hyperspace trials. Shenanigans, some quality bants, and general hilarity ensue.

Wide World of Wargaming (X-Wing) episode 39 is ... well, it's been available for a few days now. We just didn't advertise it because it's mostly dealing with a local HST, but now I recommend listening because of how unbelievably wrong our Worlds predictions were! This episode was recorded on 10/13/2019.

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-5pv3k-c3f9ff?utm_campaign=w_share_ep&utm_medium=dlink&utm_source=w_share

Drew couldn't make it and is missed on this episode, but Vince and I are joined by South Bay Militant Casual Rick Ruddell. As it happens, all three of us attended the HST at Games of Berkeley on 10/12, so we discuss that -- and topics arising from it -- for quite a while. We get sidetracked by a discussion of "Why are generic Republic ARCs only one point more than Rebel generic X-wings." I think Voince regrets bringing it up, but I thought it was interesting. (The most interesting question, though, is one I did not ask, "Vince, how come you always compare generic X-Wings to Republic ARCs, but never to Rebel U-wings?" (BTW, if y'all know Vince, the reason is pretty clear.)

We're going to have Rick again on episode 40, and hopefully Drew will be back, giving us a full house. Rick was at Worlds, so he'll give us his perspective of things there. Tune in, won't you?

Did I hear this right? Did Vince actually imply Handbrake Han didn't need a nerf? The large based, I6, my dial don't mean ****, stressless full stop into white boost with guaranteed mods Rebel Ace? Right after ******* about Force? 🤨

Edited by Hiemfire

Vince has a ... soft spot ... for Rebels. :-)

FWIW, he knows Handbrake Han was bonkers. Most of the time he's just being contrarian.

10 minutes ago, Jeff Wilder said:

Vince has a ... soft spot ... for Rebels. 🙂

His "soft spot" is obvious (I honestly have a similar one for S&V).

10 minutes ago, Jeff Wilder said:

Most of the time he's just being contrarian.

That explains allot. :)

Wide World of Wargaming (X-Wing) episode 40 (wow!) is now available! This episode was recorded on 10/23/2019.

https://wwwargaming.podbean.com/e/wide-world-of-wargaming-x-wing-episode-40-what-a-wonderful-worlds/

We had a full house -- Vince, Drew, Rick, and me -- while recording last night, and had a very good time with it, including during our pre-show. (At some point I'll secretly record our pre-show and share it. When I'm old, and don't fear death.)

Fair warning ... I haven't listened yet, so I'm posting blind. (There's something wrong with that metaphor. I'll smell it out eventually.) But we had such a good time recording, and Vince did a miraculous job with one-day editing turnaround, so I'm releasing it into the wild. Fly, little Nimnuls. Fly!

As the title implies, most of the discussion is about Worlds, and ancillary topics arising therefrom.

Y'all have a good week.

2x Wide World of Wargaming X-Wing casts released in 1 week?!!?! This has been a good birthday week. :D

Edited by Hiemfire

Back to the front so more have the chance to listen.

We want to book a "listener guest"! Anybody who listens to our podcast, and plays X-Wing somewhat regularly, is eligible. You don't have to be X-Wing famous. You don't have to be a serious competitive player. You just need to be a listener, play X-Wing, and have something about the game that you want to talk about.

To be considered, please write at least two or three sentences about what you'd like to talk about, X-Wing related. Vince, Drew, and I will read the entries and pick one -- or more, I dunno! -- people to be a guest on the show. We'll get in touch and work out a time for recording, and then we'll spend a significant chunk of the show talking with you about whatever it is you want to talk about.

Send your request to be considered to jeff dot wilder at gmail dot com. Include your chosen subject, the best way to reach you, and the times during the week when you'll have 60-90 minutes to record. (Don't forget time-zone! We're Pacific, which I think is ... -8 GMT?) We'll announce our pick during an upcoming episode!

Dangit! I thought a new episode was up. :D

We recorded last night, so ... any hour now, I'd expect!

<shaking fist at the heavens>Hiiiiiieeeemfiiire!</shaking>

Wide World of Wargaming (X-Wing) episode 41 is, in fact, available. We recorded this episode on 10/30/19.

https://wwwargaming.podbean.com/e/wide-world-of-wargaming-x-wing-episode-41-the-haves-and-have-nots/

This is a pretty straightforward episode, as Vince, Drew, and I dive more into some of the numbers arising from lists making the cut in Worlds. (Thanks again to @ChahDresh !) We find some things we expected, and some we certainly didn't. We also, BTW, forgot to bring up some stuff I wish we had. For example, in our statement that First Order -- as a faction, taken as a whole -- isn't very good, and Vince taking me just a little too literally that every FO ship needs a shield added, I forgot to point out that FO's cut-rate (20%) wasn't appreciably below where one would expect. (Although the counter-point there would be "no FO make Top 16.")

I want to remind folks of a couple of things. First, please offer comments, criticism, corrections, and suggestions. We read every bit of feedback, and give it real consideration. And we sincerely appreciate that *mumble*mumble* of you take the time and make the effort to listen every week(-ish). Second, we're looking for a "listener-guest." We only have a few entries so far, and we will be picking someone, so why not you? You can read the details here:

Y'all have a good week!

What time do you usually record?

7 hours ago, Chudley said:

What time do you usually record?

We usually record at between 8 PM and 10 PM. But there's flexibility.

9 hours ago, Jeff Wilder said:

We usually record at between 8 PM and 10 PM. But there's flexibility.

8PM to 10PM. What time zone?

What sort of rig does one need?

Just now, Chudley said:

8PM to 10PM. What time zone?

What sort of rig does one need?

Pacific time-zone.

Really all you need is a decent USB mic and speakers. An average gaming headset should work fine, for instance.

A little 200G acceleration never hurt anybody. You just gotta clench up first.

kudos for The Expanse mention

I spend too much time trying to design a tabletop version of expanse combat.

17 minutes ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

I spend too much time trying to design a tabletop version of expanse combat.

Check out the Battletech space combat rules. They're pretty dang close.

Hello everyone, happy Veterans Day and thank you to any of our listeners with a military background for your service!

Jeff has been unable to get away from secret squirrel work stuff for a few days so I will be updating the thread with Episode 42 now being available!

https://wwwargaming.podbean.com/e/wide-world-of-wargaming-x-wing-episode-42-the-rebellion-is-reborn-in-spain/

We cover the Spanish Grand Championships which had the highest concentration of Rebel lists in the cut of any tournament Jeff, Drew or I can remember in recent memory. Daniel Taylor's expose of the power of the Z95 seems to have been an inspiration for many players, but there was also a general trend towards 3 ship lists in direct contrast across all factions that presents a very interesting view of current list theory.

Jeff and I butt heads about the relative costs of Soontir Fel vs Fenn Rau and the definition of "problem", his very literal interpretation of the word vs my more esoteric meaning.

And Drew cracks some truly horrendous, awful, soul destroying bad jokes.

All in all, not a bad day at the office for us. Enjoy!

Edited by FlyAndtheMighty

Wide World of Wargaming (X-Wing) episode 43 is now available! This episode was recorded on 2019-11-13, which means Vince turned around the editing very quickly! That's one of the reason he gets the big bucks. (By big, I mean "none." But still.)

https://wwwargaming.podbean.com/e/wide-world-of-wargaming-x-wing-episode-43-two-for-one/

This is a somewhat longer than usual episode, for very good reason! For our listener-guest invitation, we selected Daniel Neal and his daughter, Katie. Once you listen, you'll see why. I'm just fascinated by their incredible relationship, Katie's maturity and knowledge with regard to the game, and Dan's enthusiasm for the game and playing X-Wing (including tournaments) with Katie. Drew couldn't join Vince and me for this episode, and I really wish he could've. Next time! (Dan and Katie will hopefully be back!)

In addition to covering a number of topics with Dan and Katie, once she retires (and Dan is gracious enough to stick around), we pivot and discuss Spanish National Grand Championship and the Polish Grand Championship, and find lots and lots we really like in the tiny European meta. We wanted to cover the St. Louis Grand, also, but it's not up yet on ListFortress.

We hope you enjoy the episode (it's one of my favorites we've recorded), and if you ever run into Dan or Katie at a tournament, don't be afraid to say hi! They are great, great people.

Y'all have a good week!

On 11/14/2019 at 7:30 PM, Jeff Wilder said:

Wide World of Wargaming (X-Wing) episode 43 is now available! This episode was recorded on 2019-11-13, which means Vince turned around the editing very quickly! That's one of the reason he gets the big bucks. (By big, I mean "none." But still.)

https://wwwargaming.podbean.com/e/wide-world-of-wargaming-x-wing-episode-43-two-for-one/

This is a somewhat longer than usual episode, for very good reason! For our listener-guest invitation, we selected Daniel Neal and his daughter, Katie. Once you listen, you'll see why. I'm just fascinated by their incredible relationship, Katie's maturity and knowledge with regard to the game, and Dan's enthusiasm for the game and playing X-Wing (including tournaments) with Katie. Drew couldn't join Vince and me for this episode, and I really wish he could've. Next time! (Dan and Katie will hopefully be back!)

In addition to covering a number of topics with Dan and Katie, once she retires (and Dan is gracious enough to stick around), we pivot and discuss Spanish National Grand Championship and the Polish Grand Championship, and find lots and lots we really like in the tiny European meta. We wanted to cover the St. Louis Grand, also, but it's not up yet on ListFortress.

We hope you enjoy the episode (it's one of my favorites we've recorded), and if you ever run into Dan or Katie at a tournament, don't be afraid to say hi! They are great, great people.

Y'all have a good week!

On your opinion of Obi shouldn't be at I5 because he hates flying. One name: Matthew Quigley.

Hello all, posting this at a bit of an odd time since the crew was very busy this weekend with events or personal business!

Jeff, myself and one of our favorite guests Rick Ruddell cover the results of the St. Louis Grand Championships and somehow find things to fight about that don't actually involve any of the winning lists, which seems like a wasted opportunity. However fear not, there is more than enough controversy and moments of unbelieving silence to sate anyone who loves a bit of podcast drama. And any show with Rick is sure to be a hilarious one! Enjoy and as always, please leave your feedback and comments below or on our Facebook page!

https://wwwargaming.podbean.com/e/wide-world-of-wargaming-x-wing-episode-44-the-sun-also-rises/