Podcast - Fangs Out!

By Jeff Wilder, in X-Wing

Episode 72 of Wide World of Wargaming (X-Wing) is now available. This episode was recorded on (I think) July 6th, 2020.

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-vpd7j-e2e7b8?utm_campaign=w_share_ep&utm_medium=dlink&utm_source=w_share

In this episode, Vince makes a statement addressing his recent troubles, and his intentions going forward. IMO, it's worth listening to.

In addition, we have Drew's wonderful wife, Sherry, on the show to help us discuss toxicity in X-Wing. There's otherwise not much to this episode, but (I'm listening as I type this) I think it's pretty good conversation.

As an aside, we are looking for a new name for the podcast, as (due to other games under the umbrella) the Wide World of Wargaming brand is going on hiatus. (My favorite so far is "Rancor Pit," but it didn't get the love from Vince and Drew that I think it deserves.)

Rancor Pit doesn't sound very relatable to X-Wing.

Just now, miguelj said:

Rancor Pit doesn't sound very relatable to X-Wing.

Depends on the perspective. That said they cover multiple different games in the genre on their podcast so it is less generally applicable.

1 hour ago, Jeff Wilder said:

As an aside, we are looking for a new name for the podcast, as (due to other games under the umbrella) the Wide World of Wargaming brand is going on hiatus.

Can't come up with a suggestion that doesn't have a secondary negative connotation or might already have a claim of some sort towards it.

16 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

Depends on the perspective. That said they cover multiple different games in the genre on their podcast so it is less generally applicable.

Can't come up with a suggestion that doesn't have a secondary negative connotation or might already have a claim of some sort towards it.

We aren't worried about secondary negative connotations associated with history. My fan club is not going to care what the name, they will take shots based solely on the fact that I haven't agreed to shut up and go away.

8 minutes ago, FlyAndtheMighty said:

We aren't worried about secondary negative connotations associated with history. My fan club is not going to care what the name, they will take shots based solely on the fact that I haven't agreed to shut up and go away.

Even tongue in cheek, calling them a fan club is being unduly generous to a group that stalked you across platforms to do what they've done...

Back to podcast name suggestions. Animals out?

The Mynocks sounds like a name that could have a decent podcast built around it.

47 minutes ago, KrisSherriff said:

The Mynocks sounds like a name that could have a decent podcast built around it.

While that idea appeals very greatly to the ironical part of me (which, admittedly, is like 80%), we do think we've found a name all three of us like. It's thematically and personality appropriate, it's short, and it should lend itself well to a logo.

Stay tuned!

How about "The Blue Hard Twos" as a podcast name?

I liked the beginning of the episode and I think a lot of good points were brought up about toxicity in the game. I really enjoyed how much Drew and Sherry had to say on this episode.

Personally I think the narrative got lost about halfway through starting with the discussion of RAC/Vader that proceeded into "toxic lists". The game being poorly designed doesn't really equate toxic play and tbh I think most of the toxicity I've seen is actually the other way around. I see a lot of toxic behavior along the lines of trying to shame people for playing "netlists", or trying to fly "jank" and then being mad about not winning. I don't really think flying a list that's good competitively is toxic behavior, if anything, I think flying lists that are not good is the root of a lot of toxic behaviors.

I guess another point that I'd want to make about toxicity is "humor". Specifically, I'm talking about people not sharing the same sense of humor. A couple years ago I threw some dice as a joke and later realized it didn't look like a joke to anyone else, and had to apologize for it. I'm sure there's stuff I've said that I thought came across as a joke but may not have. I've also definitely seen people say things that are ironic/memes and it doesn't come across well to everyone - kinda a common internet phenomenon, but important now more than ever since X-Wing is kinda going to be a video game for the near future.

Final note is apologies - I know I'm not personally very good at them so there's definitely times that I've wanted to apologize for something I did in the past and I may not have gotten it out loud enough. I'm glad that you guys are willing to apologize for bad behaviors and try to move on from them. People change a lot, all the time. I've been playing this game for almost 8 years now so I've seen it happen in the context of X-Wing a lot. Things are pretty weird in the world right now so I think now more then ever the community needs to be able to move on from things in the past and band together to create an inclusive and welcoming place for everyone.

On 7/14/2020 at 2:55 PM, unfassbarnathan said:

How about "The Blue Hard Twos" as a podcast name?

I'm inventing a cocktail that will somehow involve Bombay Sapphire as a celebration of what is apparently my most infamous statement in X Wing.

On 7/14/2020 at 10:02 AM, Hiemfire said:

Even tongue in cheek, calling them a fan club is being unduly generous to a group that stalked you across platforms to do what they've done...

Back to podcast name suggestions. Animals out?

Welcome to the internet in the 2010s. I remember when it was called "personal army" and you used to get **** on for doing it.

Episode 75 of Wide World of Wargaming (X-Wing) (last time!) is now available.

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-9j8jr-e5ad16?utm_campaign=w_share_ep&utm_medium=dlink&utm_source=w_share

Unfortunately, no time to do a blurb for this one, as I had to physically come into my office and do actual work. The horror.

We discuss about half, maybe a bit more, of the points changes, and then reveal our new name (which we all really like)!

Sorry for the radio silence for a while ... we've had some audio troubles, losing an entire episode. Vince managed to save this one.

Y'all have a good week!

Whoot!

Edit1: @FlyAndtheMighty To answer your question about S&V and Sat Salvo (If it hasn't already been). Kimogila, Andrasta Firespray and Y-Wings (those are the 3 chassis with reload in S&V) all can make use of it with the Kimo specifically having a semi-synergy with the talent against targets in bullseye (other than against ******* force users).

Edit2: @Jeff Wilder Bare Scum Han pilot has dropped 6 points after remaining unchanged for 5 points updates.

Edited by Hiemfire

New branding! Woooooo!

A pack of vultures at the feast, fangs out, beaks bloody.

739bd73fc6008a9b2ad5852844f030503346bd4a

Episode 80 of the Fangs Out Podcast is available! This was recorded on August 24th, 2020.

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-d39ms-e956e1?utm_campaign=au_share_ep&utm_medium=dlink&utm_source=au_share

Oli Pocknell was kind enough to be our guest on this show, and his presence leads to some really good discussions. We talk about the first 218-player Galactic Championship leg, sticking mostly to the cut. Tabletop Tournament Organizer was under absurd load while we were recording, so on the one hand we had to work around that ... but on the other hand, it kept us from too many digressions.

Let me give a sincere "Thank You!" to our listeners. We really appreciate your comments and suggestions, too, during these, uh, strange a content-lean times.

Y'all have a good week.

On 8/24/2020 at 9:30 AM, Jeff Wilder said:

Hi, all! A few episodes of Fangs Out Podcast have dropped since I last posted. I've just been crazy busy with work, and then recently I've been pretty ill.

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-r5zkm-e6b3e6?utm_campaign=w_share_ep&utm_medium=dlink&utm_source=w_share

Y'all have a good week!

36 minutes ago, Jeff Wilder said:

Episode 80 of the Fangs Out Podcast is available! This was recorded on August 24th, 2020.

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-d39ms-e956e1?utm_campaign=au_share_ep&utm_medium=dlink&utm_source=au_share

Oli Pocknell was kind enough to be our guest on this show, and his presence leads to some really good discussions. We talk about the first 218-player Galactic Championship leg, sticking mostly to the cut. Tabletop Tournament Organizer was under absurd load while we were recording, so on the one hand we had to work around that ... but on the other hand, it kept us from too many digressions.

Let me give a sincere "Thank You!" to our listeners. We really appreciate your comments and suggestions, too, during these, uh, strange a content-lean times.

Y'all have a good week.

Holy heck the thread must have slipped off the front page a couple of times. I've got some catching up to do. :D

On 8/24/2020 at 11:06 AM, theBitterFig said:

A pack of vultures at the feast, fangs out, beaks bloody.

739bd73fc6008a9b2ad5852844f030503346bd4a

I approve this post and this gif.

Episode 81 of Fangs Out is available! This episode was recorded on 8/31/2020.

https://wwwargaming.podbean.com/e/fangs-out-episode-81-xiing-loudly/

With this episode, we go into the Xi-class Shuttle pilots and upgrades. I talked my cast-mates into the wrong pronunciation of "Xi." (It should actually be "sai," or (more subtly) "ksai," according to videos from native Greek speakers on Youtube.) That's on me. My only excuse is that I went to a school with a strong Greek system presence ... and they pronounced it wrong.

We spend a lot of time bemoaning the Xi not really being suitable for Hux. Don't get us wrong ... it's not that we want a Hux list to be broken ... we just want one that's playable outside of "for the memes."

My audio is pretty lousy in this episode. I'm not sure why ... I used my Blue Yeti as usual. Weird. Hope it's not too distracting.

Y'all have a good week! (As Jimmy Dugan might autograph, if he played X-Wing instead of baseball: "Avoid the Nantex. -- Jimmy Dugan.")

I'll just share here what I sent to ya via FB:

Hey guys, nice new episode for Xwing. A couple things though:

Gideon Hask works on himself. I think he'll be good with Aces too due to this. He can cleanup better than the other shuttles, and his ability is optional.

Sensor Bouts only work on XI and UPS shuttles. Limited to medium and large ships.

Also, for the Razor rest, there was an interview done by Team Covenant back in March, that Mando content was coming next year for Xwing and Legion. They are basically waiting for season 2 to wrap up to get more content to work with.

The Continental turned out to be the heralds of hope pack.

On 9/7/2020 at 3:21 PM, Jeff Wilder said:

My audio is pretty lousy in this episode. I'm not sure why ... I used my Blue Yeti as usual. Weird. Hope it's not too distracting.

Have you double checked your audio settings? Windows had an update recently iirc and that might have messed with it (you and Drew were both really quiet in Ep 80 so might be the same issue).

Edit:

swz69_target-priority_card.png on JakkuGunrunnerPilotCard.png ?

Edited by Hiemfire
trying to fix the image link for the Jakku.

Post-80, I did the huge Win10 update to 2004, so we'll see.

Can't see your second image, unfortunately. Just shows a placeholder.

7 hours ago, Jeff Wilder said:

Post-80, I did the huge Win10 update to 2004, so we'll see.

Can't see your second image, unfortunately. Just shows a placeholder.

Jakku gunrunner (not saying it'll be potent, but they do have the slot for Automated Targeting Priority and it would free them up to concentrate on getting the tractors in while retaining a mod). Fandom is messing with the linking. I'll try again.

8 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

Jakku gunrunner (not saying it'll be potent, but they do have the slot for Automated Targeting Priority and it would free them up to concentrate on getting the tractors in while retaining a mod). Fandom is messing with the linking. I'll try again.

Depending on cost (as always!), could be fun!