PBP Alt Univ: Clone Wars: Misc

By EliasWindrider, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny Beginner Game

7 minutes ago, EliasWindrider said:

Teacher is not niman-disciple but the answer is still yes

The sig applies to "talents the character possesses," not talents from the particular tree.

10 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

The sig applies to "talents the character possesses," not talents from the particular tree.

I thought the question was can he attach the signature ability to the teacher tree since he had dedication and force rating (the column 1 and 4 attach points of the signature ability in question).

2 minutes ago, EliasWindrider said:

I thought the question was can he attach the signature ability to the teacher tree since he had dedication and force rating (the column 1 and 4 attach points of the signature ability in question).

He asked if he could connect it to Teacher, and I said yes. So since it had already been stated that he was referring to Teacher and I referenced talents in Niman Disciple as candidates for the ability, I assumed that must have been what you were referring to.

If not that, what exactly were you correcting?

5 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

He asked if he could connect it to Teacher, and I said yes. So since it had already been stated that he was referring to Teacher and I referenced talents in Niman Disciple as candidates for the ability, I assumed that must have been what you were referring to.

If not that, what exactly were you correcting?

Not correcting, but providing too much information (beyond what was asked for) is potentially confusing so I was clarifying that he didn't need talents in a different tree in the same career to connect the signature ability to teacher (I might have found your answer confusing when I was new to the game)

Edited by EliasWindrider

I'm not entirely clear on the restrictions around Force power checks, as they are different than regular skill checks.

When you roll a Force power check, you may use the pips for whatever you want within that power, regardless of any stated intent.

But what if you are rolling an opposed check or a combined check requiring a skill like Vigilance or something? If you fail the check, can you still spend the pips on something else, or do you just fail the check and "lose" the pips?

Does it differ based on what you are trying to do? So hurling a boulder would be a Ranged check, and if you hurl it and miss, you've already performed the action and can't "take it back." But what if you don't get sufficient Force pips to throw the item? Can you ignore the results of the skill check and just move an item normally?

I'm guessing the answer is that if it is linked to a skill or is an Opposed check, you aren't allowed to redirect the pips, but I'm trying to clarify.

5 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

I'm not entirely clear on the restrictions around Force power checks, as they are different than regular skill checks.

When you roll a Force power check, you may use the pips for whatever you want within that power, regardless of any stated intent.

But what if you are rolling an opposed check or a combined check requiring a skill like Vigilance or something? If you fail the check, can you still spend the pips on something else, or do you just fail the check and "lose" the pips?

Does it differ based on what you are trying to do? So hurling a boulder would be a Ranged check, and if you hurl it and miss, you've already performed the action and can't "take it back." But what if you don't get sufficient Force pips to throw the item? Can you ignore the results of the skill check and just move an item normally?

I'm guessing the answer is that if it is linked to a skill or is an Opposed check, you aren't allowed to redirect the pips, but I'm trying to clarify.

I believe the intent is to declare all you are doing then try to get the pips and/or make the skill check. I can see the issue as players, myself included, tend to be rather ambiguous with our intent when it comes to what we do with force powers, especially the more esoteric powers.

Sorry if I caused any confusion, I thought I was clear about what I wanted to do. Just wanted to toss some silhouette 2 debris (which costs 3 pips total).

3 hours ago, MrTInce said:

I believe the intent is to declare all you are doing then try to get the pips and/or make the skill check. I can see the issue as players, myself included, tend to be rather ambiguous with our intent when it comes to what we do with force powers, especially the more esoteric powers.

1 hour ago, SuperWookie said:

Sorry if I caused any confusion, I thought I was clear about what I wanted to do. Just wanted to toss some silhouette 2 debris (which costs 3 pips total).

Just a general question, doesn't have anything to do with either of you.

FYI, when trying to tag me, make sure you pick the right P-47 Thunderbolt. Due to, I think, some shenanigans between the forum and my internet, there are four other P-47s who spontaneously popped into existence on the 20th. How? I have no idea. But it won't notify me unless you select the correct one. They all have exactly the same name, so you have to pick based on the avatar.

3 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

FYI, when trying to tag me, make sure you pick the right P-47 Thunderbolt. Due to, I think, some shenanigans between the forum and my internet, there are four other P-47s who spontaneously popped into existence on the 20th. How? I have no idea. But it won't notify me unless you select the correct one. They all have exactly the same name, so you have to pick based on the avatar.

Yeah, I'd noticed and wondered about it.

On their way to the hanger to confront the Dark Lady, Jorin notices something odd etched into the stone wall of the corridor; a circle surrounded by runes and what looks like birds...that are moving..

That's strange... he murmurs as he tentatively places a hand in the circles center...and is shocked as it passes through.. Master, do you see-- suddenly Jorin is on what can only be described as a walkway through space.. and it wasn't the only one, multiple pathways turned and twisted throughout the void.. - this? Jorin saw other circular features as he took a couple of steps forward. Contilations were outlined, showing several animals and figures. Where am I?

As if to answer, he heard voices.. snippets of conversations became clear...

...for some reason, there are four or five other P-47's....

..roll for initiative...

..Jorin will use Saber Throw...

Jorin followed the voices to a circle surrounded by a Square with strange language that pulsates as the voices speak. He listened for a moment, and noticed one voice seemed to be in charge of the others. Jorin chose that moment to try walking through the Circle.

The next encounter will be at the Hanger... uhhh... the man looked up from his computer terminal and stared at Jorin... He quickly shuffled through a stack of flimsy, he stopped and alternated between the sheet and Jorin.. uhhh, Ruus... he quickly typed out a message. <Ruus, why can I see Jorin in my house?!>

Who are you, where am I? Jorin asked..

<Ruus!!>

< Elias, what's up?>

<JORIN IS IN MY HOUSE>

< huh? (scroll, scroll..) umm..I'm reading our conversation..and Jorin talking to you...did we get hacked? This isn't me.>

The man looked at Join as he looked at the screen.. Jorin pointed to the screen, What is this? That's me and the others! He grabbed the man by his shirt and lifted him out of his seat. What are you?

I'm GM'ing an online RPG! the man yelps, as something tumbles out from his shirt.

What's a "GM".. what's an "RPG"... Jorin looked down, what the heck are those?

The man looked down, his eyes grew large. My god.. are those XP points??

Jorin let go of the man and put his hands up, Ok, that's it... this is too crazy for me.. Jorin felt around the featureless wall looking for the portal.. I'm out of here!

Jorin hurried back the way he had come, doing his best to ignore the voices, more this time... he tried his best to ignore the fact that they all sounded like Mireska, Kersee, Camouflage...even himself.. all talking in disbelief at Jorin's appearance.

As Jorin passed through the first portal, Mireska had turned and looked shocked as he walked through a solid slab of stone.

Padawan, what...?

Jorin waved her concerns away. Nope, I'd rather face a Sith Lord.. let's keep moving!

Edited by RuusMarev

:D

That's a new way to riffle through the GM's "pocketsies"!

(Pssst! @RuusMarev : "hang a r" in this case, not "hang e r".)

45 minutes ago, Bellona said:

That's a new way to riffle through the GM's "pocketsies"!

(Pssst! @RuusMarev : "hang a r" in this case, not "hang e r".)

So many errors in that post, I guess I missed a couple. :)

hard to type long posts on the phone ...

Drat, and this was the week I was going to take @EliasWindrider out to the barn and milk him for XP.

19 hours ago, RuusMarev said:

The man looked at Join as he looked at the screen.. Jorin pointed to the screen, What is this? That's me and the others! He grabbed the man by his shirt and lifted him out of his seat. What are you?

I'm GM'ing an online RPG! the man yelps, as something tumbles out from his shirt.

What's a "GM".. what's an "RPG"... Jorin looked down, what the heck are those?

The man looked down, his eyes grew large. My god.. are those XP points??

@EliasWindrider

So, is that gentle enough prodding to earn us some XP? :)

22 minutes ago, Bellona said:

@EliasWindrider

So, is that gentle enough prodding to earn us some XP? :)

Terry Crews Fingers Crossed GIF by America's Got Talent - Find & Share on  GIPHY

I still have 24 minutes that I could milk you in the barn instead.

Finally saved up to 25 XP (well 29 now). Spending 25 of my 29 to buy Range 15 and Duration 10 on the right side of the Imbue tree. So now I will be able to commit Force dice to keep a party member buffed (at medium range).

Edited by SuperWookie
13 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

Actually, since Jorin traveled through the World between Worlds... whos to say he didn't arrive after midnight?

On 12/8/2020 at 10:12 AM, RuusMarev said:

Actually, since Jorin traveled through the World between Worlds... whos to say he didn't arrive after midnight?

Because I read it before midnight.

SuperWookie grabs his milk pail and looks around nervously. Is today the day?

Sneaking behind the cantina, he makes his way across the dangerous streets of Mos Eisley toward the bantha stables to see if he can find @EliasWindrider . He finds the GM sleeping in the corner as expected. Carefully milking the female bantha that is most awake, SuperWookie then splashes the GM with some foul-smelling bantha milk (it's blue right?). @EliasWindrider wakes up and begins to shake due to the surprise and smell, cursing the twin suns and anyone foolish enough to wake him up.

SuperWookie wastes no time and make a hasty retreat. Later that morning, @EliasWindrider can be found entering the cantina, clean, but still cranky. SuperWookie buys him a drink (not milk) and pats the GM on the back heartily to cheer him up, but the real intention it to shake loose some XP now that he is distracted. Eyeing the cantina, SuperWookie hopes @RuusMarev , @P-47 Thunderbolt , @Bellona , and @MrTInce are all paying attention so they can sweep up the XP falling onto the floor and save some for him as well.

Just a heads up: my online presence will be very spotty over the next few days, as it looks like my desktop computer has given up the ghost. :(

Hopefully it won't take me too long to get a replacement in place, but it's hard to know for sure so close to Christmas.

5 hours ago, Bellona said:

Just a heads up: my online presence will be very spotty over the next few days, as it looks like my desktop computer has given up the ghost. :(

Hopefully it won't take me too long to get a replacement in place, but it's hard to know for sure so close to Christmas.

Phew! Crisis averted. :)

It looks like it was "just" a short circuit in the cabinet's main fan. A new fan will be purchased, and in the meantime the cabinet's side has been taken off so that there's enough air flow to keep things cool.

(... But the whole mess is old enough that I probably should start thinking about an eventual replacement.)

... Ah, the joy of a proper-sized screen again, instead of the insanity of trying to read e-mail and do other stuff on a mobile's screen ...

*moves to hug screen, but then realises that it's extremely dusty on the back; plans to dust - tomorrow*