Fourth Annual Star Wars: Armada Vassal World Cup (2019)

By BiggsIRL, in Star Wars: Armada

Here it is, the most prestigious tournament that doesn't have any prize support* - just the knowledge that you are the best at a digital representation of a plastic spaceship pushing game! That's right, it is the 2019 Armada Vassal World Cup! We are now in our 4th year for this tournament, and we are very excited to run it yet again!

2016 Armada World Cup
2017 Armada World Cup
2018 Armada World Cup

Leader Roles:
Organizer: @BiggsIRL
Marshall: @BiggsIRL
Judges: @Truthiness or really any player watching your game!

Format:
Structure: Custom - World Cup Format, with 3 Rounds of POD play / 4 Rounds of Elimination, extended time to complete games.
Tier: Premier - "Premier events are the highest level of competition for Fantasy Flight Games tournaments. At this top level of tournaments, players are expected to have a moderate amount of experience. Players should be familiar with not only the game rules, but also the FAQ and tournament regulations. The focus is on a competitive and fair environment."

Rules:
Rules being used for construction of lists and questions throughout the game will be based on the most recent FAQ and Tournament Rules, with a special FAQ to be devised for not-yet-FAQ'd or released cards. I'll be putting together an FAQ with specific rulings, so PM me if you have a question.
400 points total maximum for your list, with a maximum of 1/3 (134 points) of the list being squadrons. Each player must have one of each type of objective (Offensive / Defensive / Navigation). Link to post your list is below. Lists (minus objectives) will then be posted by the Organizer for public viewing by the start of POD play. There is a hard cap of 32 players for this tournament, priority first will go to the 32 players who have been pre-qualified, then any standbys in numbered order, and finally non-standby players chosen randomly (if slots are still available). Any players that are standby or sign up and do not have a slot for the 32 will play a fleet patrol tournament instead, with the top 2 getting automatic entries into the 2020 World Cup (if they don't already have one from being standby).
Because of the POD play, everyone is expected to be able to schedule time to play everyone else in their pod within 3 weeks (averaging 1 game / week). PODs will be built to try and give players opponents within or near their time zone to make scheduling easier. Any player pair that are unable to play during this 3 week window will receive a 1 point loss each. Either player has the opportunity to concede to their opponent if they are unable to schedule and believe they are more to blame for the scheduling conflict, which will result in a 8 point win (140 MOV) for the other player, and a 1 point loss for the conceding player. Players are encouraged to post their scheduled games to the thread once they agree to a game time. A no-show by either player for a scheduled game will result in a 1 point loss for that player, and an 8 point victory for their opponent, with 140 point MOV.

Speaking of POD play: All players will be assigned into a POD of 4 players. During the POD round (3 weeks) each player will play the other 3 players in their POD, earning Tournament Points and MOV as usual. The top 2 players in each POD will go on to the Playoff Rounds. Each round of the playoffs will last for no more than one week (plus remaining time from a previous round that finished early). Players are required to post within 2 days of the round start when they will be able to play their opponent. If a player does not show up for the scheduled time, they automatically forfeit the match and are eliminated. If neither player are able to find a time they would be able to play within the time frame, the winner will be determined by coin flip. Please don't make me do this - I haven't had to yet, don't be the first! Either player may concede to their opponent if they are unable to schedule a game, which is much preferable to a coin flip, but not as good as playing your game!
Each pod winner and runner-up will be matched up for the elimination round as follows: Pod winners will be matched with runner ups from opposite pods. The winner of Pod #1 will be matched with the runner up to Pod #8, the winner of Pod #2 with the winner of Pod #7, etc. From this point on, winners of each match will be matched up with the winner of the neighboring match until only one player remains.
What is Legal for Play?
Anything that has been fully spoiled by Jan 1st, 2019. This includes: Upgrade cards that have names, text, and points known. Squadrons that have all stats known, and no unexplained keywords. Ships with all stats known, firearcs known, and all rules pertaining to their size known. As of right now, the upgrade cards included in the SSD expansion are legal but the SSD itself isn't, as we do not know if any additional rules exist regarding ships of that magnitude.
Additional Thoughts:
There hasn't been any issues with games needing a Judge to rule on things before, don't let this tournament be the one it starts. Figure out any issues that arise in the game among yourselves - ask any folks watching along for help as makeshift judges if needed. I'll be watching the games that I can, as will @Truthiness . Remember Rule #1 of Star Wars Miniatures Gaming - "Fly Casual".
If you do have a rule question about how a particular card interacts, PM me as I am the official Marshall for the event! Obviously I can't pop into every game for a game-by-game judgement, but I will be updating the Supplemental FAQ.
If there's something that you see that needs addressed, please bring it to my attention. I can't fix issues that I don't know about.
Reporting Completed Games :

* ... or does it?

Edited by BiggsIRL

Timeframe:

Signups - Closed
PODs Posted - Completed
POD Play Ends - Completed
Elimination Round 1 - Completed
Elimination Round 2 - Completed

Semi-Finals - 0100 GMT 25th Feb **Have Begun**
Finals / 3rd Place Game - Open Ended

semichub.PNG

If you have your matchups for the Elimination Round, you can begin play.

Edited by BiggsIRL

Are the four duplicates already factored into how far down the standby list players get included? Or do those folks literally have two entries? Or...?

1 minute ago, xanderf said:

Are the four duplicates already factored into how far down the standby list players get included? Or do those folks literally have two entries? Or...?

The four duplicates are factored in.

Total Qualified: 36

Unique Qualified: 32

Open Slots: 0

http://www.steelstrategy.com/p/qualified-players-for-2019-world-cup.html

Feel free to post in this thread that you are signing up, and taunt your opponents. Especially those too scared to sign up themselves.

I'll throw my name in the ring as a standby. I'd like to play more Armada, regardless of platform.

SSD cards are legal? *Brain storming intensifies*

aka I will be claiming my spot.

Edited by Karneck

Clearly a better player then @JJs Juggernaut signing up!

I will be camping until the 20th of January, so will need to cede my place (unless my Pod are willing to cram the games into a mere four days (almost five if you count the extra 16 hours of my times zone)).

2 hours ago, clontroper5 said:

Clearly a better player then @JJs Juggernaut signing up!

I'm obviously goaded to join in after this...

0:55 : "Soon you will learn to appreciate me"

4 hours ago, JJs Juggernaut said:

I'm obviously goaded to join in after this...

7146c7262bd454683e59dc3f642bf20c05e1e422

Your daily Norwegian language lesson: my first name is Bjørn, literally "bear". In Norwegian the raccoon is a "Vaskebjørn", literally "washing bear".

Edited by Green Knight
9 hours ago, LTD said:

I will be camping until the 20th of January, so will need to cede my place (unless my Pod are willing to cram the games into a mere four days (almost five if you count the extra 16 hours of my times zone)).

Camping for 2 weeks in January (Australia?) I am envious sir.

Signing up. 'Murica Eastern Time Zone

London calling!

Count me in please. No withdrawal agreement needed for me thankfully.

Count me in. central time zone.

Edited by mhd

I’m in. Pacific time zone please!

On 12/12/2018 at 6:30 PM, BiggsIRL said:
What  is Legal for Play?
Anything  that has been fully spoiled by Jan 1st, 2019. This includes: Upgrade cards that have names, text, and points known. Squadrons that have all stats known, and no unexplained keywords. Ships with all stats known, firearcs known, and all rules pertaining to their size known. As of right  now, the upgrade cards included in the SSD expansion are legal but the SSD itself isn't, as we do not know if any additional rules exist  regarding ships of that magnitude. 

Just a reminder since I am getting questions related to it.

As of this moment:

SSD - the ship itself is not legal

Upgrade cards in the SSD expansion (Emperor Sheev "the Senate" Palpatine, Officer Vader, Officer Ozzel, Piett, etc) are legal.

Edited by BiggsIRL

I'm in, NA Easter Daylight Time Zone, though with my rotating work schedule I am probably just as suited to play in another time zone since I am often off during the day and work at night.

Bump.

A secret exists within the OP.

And only 3 people have officially signed up.

34 minutes ago, BiggsIRL said:

Bump.

A secret exists within the OP.

And only 3 people have officially signed up.

Too much text in the OP 😁

I am in, it is just like always. I need a long time to decide what list i want to play. And because your storage is limited, i don't want to spam a new signup every 5 minutes ;)

I'm in --- EST. Haha hopefully someone else more competitive is in the mix to represent the mid-Atlantic US states...

Count me in. Gmt-6, central time.

1 hour ago, Tokra said:

Too much text in the OP 😁

I am in, it is just like always. I need a long time to decide what list i want to play. And because your storage is limited, i don't want to spam a new signup every 5 minutes ;)

Google drive us the definition of unlimited storage.