X-Wing Squad Builder Update

By FFGSysops, in X-Wing Squad Builder

As we using the same app? V 1.0.2?

You must work for FFG Dev team if you think this compares favourably with first edition app.

As for ironing out bugs, it needs a steamroller.

Offline mode, the ability to save lists, and a way to create a list using only stuff from your collection would really go a long way in making this app useful.

Below are the issues I have found in the brief time spent using the app in order of most to least frustrating...

(1) No offline mode or local save capability, rendering app useless in many places and requiring mobile data use. App should function primarily in local/offline mode. Logging on should simply provide the ability to sync your lists to the cloud for recovery if your device is lost. Internet access should not be essential to an app that is required for a tabletop game...

(2) Dials are not able to be displayed from ship selection screen or within the squad list.

(3) Red actions are not displayed as red unless you click card view.

(4) Many recharge symbols are not displayed except in card view. (See Emperor Palpatine crew)

(5) Condition cards are not displayed with the upgrade that assigns them, nor can the be seen using the search function.

(6) Upgrades are not ordered by point cost or alphabetical order. They are just listed randomly...sort functionality needed.

(7) Collection serves no functionality. Upgrades/ships not in your collection should be indicated within the app (red text). That way you can theory craft but know when you are building a squad you do not have the resources for.

(8) Upgrades with restrictions should either be greyed out and not selectable, or completely hidden from ships to which they cannot be equipped.

(9) There is no copy ship function helpful for swarm building.

(10) No copy list function to easily make alterations on existing lists.

(11) Ships added to squad list take a huge amount of screen space when expanded to add upgrades. Simple symbology would do given that the card image can be displayed by clicking it.

(12) Save button is enormous and other displays are too large for a mobile app. The required scrolling is excessive.

(13) Updates should be listed with most recent at the top...why am I scrolling to see the latest changes?

(14)'<italics>'... '<\italics>'....

(CONCLUSION) Major issues that could have been avoided by taking a look at just a few of the fan made 3rd party squad builders. This App was clearly released without a single X-wing Player/Developer looking at it.

20 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

That's extremely harsh. I've been using it since Saturday and had very few problems, and certainly none that weren't easily resolved. As far as production values go the app looks perfectly fine to me, and once the bugs have been ironed out it should be more than up to the job.

It certainly compares favourably with the 1st edition mobile apps I've used.

This thing should have been the high end luxury model of squad-builders and it isn't even a fancy mid-sized sedan.

I can't see the entire list at once.

I can't see what the upgrades in a saved list do.

I can't make notes on what I was thinking with the list.

I can't make notes or keep track of what a list did in games.

I can't see what upgrades ships I search for can take.

I can't search for ships by what upgrades they can take.

I can't filter the pull down lists for searching by ship type to just one faction's ships.

I can't change the view options for looking at the upgrades or search results.

I can't go to search from the building page and so on as there isn't any kind of always accessible top menu.

I can't limit my building to items in my collection.

I can't more granularly limit what models I can field with my conversion kit.

I can't get information on what ship tokens can't be fielded together. (Norra and Garven with just one conversion kit for example.)

I can't find out what expansion an upgrade is in from the builder.

I can't use it offline.

I can't make use of several features because I don't have a smart phone.

But I'm being harsh because I can make a list with it as long as I didn't try to equip a bugged upgrade that won't save or one showing the wrong cost?

6 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

But I'm being harsh because I can make a list with it as long as I didn't try to equip a bugged upgrade that won't save or one showing the wrong cost?

Yep, you nailed it.

1 hour ago, Frimmel said:

I can't limit my building to items        in my        collection

That's for me the most important thing to add right now in the app!

If I have 2 ion torpedoes cards in my collection it should not give me the ability to choose a third same card...

There was so many good builders for 1.0 that I can't understand how ffg didn't follow there example.

Under New Squad>info about Second Edition in the Android app. There is still an error in the explanation of what Second Edition is it shows the all to familiar italics error around X-Wing.

19 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

That's extremely harsh. I've been using it since Saturday and had very few problems, and certainly none that weren't easily resolved. As far as production values go the app looks perfectly fine to me, and once the bugs have been ironed out it should be more than up to the job.

It certainly compares favourably with the 1st edition mobile apps I've used.

It's improved since it released, that's for sure. But the errors it released with were, quite frankly, embarrassing. Production values fine? They had <italics> tags showing in the product they released to us for God's sake. A lot of the problems with it now are more subjective, but the UI is among the prettiest but also least user friendly I've seen on a squad builder. As for comparisons to 1st editions squad builders, I'd argue it has about 50% of the utility they do. You can make a list. That's pretty much it. No ship copying, no dial display, no collection management functionality. The list goes on.

I think the app will eventually be fine. I worry about how much good will FFG has already lost with the bungled launch. Their own statement here says they were dismayed by the functionality at launch. That tells me they hadn't even seen it. That speaks volumes about their attitude towards the app, IMO. There's a lot of work for them to do to win back customer confidence.

34 minutes ago, Jike said:

Their own statement here says they were dismayed by the functionality at launch. That tells me they hadn't even seen it.

That was certainly my thought. I was under the impression the app would be a center-piece of the new edition and it seemed that it got finished in the morning on the bus like a sixth-grader's homework.

My recollection is that an large portion of the questions at the time of the announcement were around the app and web-builder. That we didn't get a more substantial preview of the thing before launch had my spidey-sense tingling.

Did I mention I can't put this thing on my Kindle Fire? Not that it matters since the FLGS doesn't have wi-fi and the thing is online only. So I need print-outs.

7 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

Did I mention I can't put this thing on my Kindle Fire? Not that it matters since the FLGS doesn't have wi-fi and the thing is online only. So I need print-outs.

This is such a huge problem that it totally eclipses all the other problems and terrible decisions that went into this 'app'. If you are not intending to take advantage of the ability to store data locally and make the app work without the need for a permanent net connection they why have you even bothered developing one, you could just create a mobile optimised version of the web based builder and direct people to that.

It means that in a lot of places where we go to play X-Wing the Squad Builder is just totally useless and everyone will have to print out their squad lists anyway. It's a spectacularly poor decision.

5 minutes ago, UberMunchkin said:

This is such a huge problem that it totally eclipses all the other problems and terrible decisions that went into this 'app'. If you are not intending to take advantage of the ability to store data locally and make the app work without the need for a permanent net connection they why have you even bothered developing one, you could just create a mobile optimised version of the web based builder and direct people to that.

It means that in a lot of places where we go to play X-Wing the Squad Builder is just totally useless and everyone will have to print out their squad lists anyway. It's a spectacularly poor decision.

It is like no one actually thought about or asked the players how they were likely to use and need to use the thing.

22 hours ago, Frimmel said:

This thing should have been the high end luxury model of squad-builders and it isn't even a fancy mid-sized sedan.

I can't see the entire list at once.

I can't see what the upgrades in a saved list do.

I can't make notes on what I was thinking with the list.

I can't make notes or keep track of what a list did in games.

I can't see what upgrades ships I search for can take.

I can't search for ships by what upgrades they can take.

I can't filter the pull down lists for searching by ship type to just one faction's ships.

I can't change the view options for looking at the upgrades or search results.

I can't go to search from the building page and so on as there isn't any kind of always accessible top menu.

I can't limit my building to items in my collection.

I can't more granularly limit what models I can field with my conversion kit.

I can't get information on what ship tokens can't be fielded together. (Norra and Garven with just one conversion kit for example.)

I can't find out what expansion an upgrade is in from the builder.

I can't use it offline.

I can't make use of several features because I don't have a smart phone.

I would love to have any of those problems. I can't even log in using my correct credentials and have not been able to since day one. And no assistance has been forthcoming. Oh well.

So when do I get my money back, I've only received part of the product and a defective product at that?

Edited by Saloh Cin

What’s also worrying is the silence of FFG.

They are clearly hoping this will all blow over. Instead it's their incredibly crap app that blows.

Apart from the "it didn't go as well as we hoped" pathetic excuse for an apology we have heard nothing.

I have about £150 burning a hole in my pocket which will remain there until FFG avknowledge their ineptitude and produce an app worthy of a school project, i.e. not this pile of poo.

Looks like they outsourced to a Polish firm called 10 Clouds. They really screwed the pooch.

Tried the 1.0.0 version on release (Android + Web). It was completely useless bc of bugs, plus HORRIBLE UI.

After a few fixes some bugs are gone. But UI is horrible, and everything just screams clunky and underdeveloped.

Not using this again.

On 9/14/2018 at 5:49 PM, FFGSysops said:

We are dedicated to providing you with the best possible Squad Builder experience, and you can expect to see immediate and regular updates to the website and mobile apps over the next several days.

What happened to this? We've seen what, one update? And the same bugs keep getting brought up by people over and over.

Maybe it's vacation week in Poland :)

I see that there is a credit for the Agile project manager. In my experience there is a tendency to not specify things properly because it's "Agile" and it gets sorted on the way.

This rarely happens (as we have seen)

Now I can't save squads in Android app.

The lolz ?

I can eventually. I now have 3 separate lists of scum but all with the same name lol

It's very hit and miss whether the ship gets added to a list in the first place.

If it wasnt so bad it would be funny.

1 hour ago, Number16 said:

Maybe it's vacation week in Poland :)

It's not. ;)

And now I can't, and now I can, and then I start a list, go back to main menu, start a new squad and it's kept the old name from my unsaved list.

This app is utter shite.

And now ALL ships have disappeared when I am trying to make a new squad! I have nothing to choose from.

Wtf ffg.