X-Wing Squad Builder Update

By FFGSysops, in X-Wing Squad Builder

As is evident to many of you who excitedly booted up the X-Wing Squad Builder yesterday, its launch did not go as well as we hoped. Several critical features were either missing or non-functional, and we were just as dismayed by this fact as you all were—probably more so.

Since then, we have been working more-or-less around the clock to address the Squad Builder’s technical issues, and with the latest update, the most critical issues have been fixed. That being said, the Squad Builder is still far from perfect. We will continue to listen to player feedback and monitor forums as we attempt to identify any unresolved issues and prioritize fixes. We are dedicated to providing you with the best possible Squad Builder experience, and you can expect to see immediate and regular updates to the website and mobile apps over the next several days.

Thank you all for your passion and patience.

-Fantasy Flight Games

Edited by FFGSysops

Thanks guys. Regardless of what has been stated here in these forums, it’s obvious you guys have been working hard to fix up the issues. Keep up the good work, and keep your chin up.

Now, a question regarding version numbers. Will there be an obvious delineation regarding a Points cost version update, and a technical update of the app. Eg. current updates are 1.0.1, 1.0.2 etc. And maybe a points change update will be 1.1.x, or 2.0. I’m just trying to work out a way to future proof it. Possibly a means to update your current lists to your up to date version to allow for patch/points updates. I can just see an issue at tournaments with lists being correct.

So it didn’t go as well as we or you hoped!, but I think as a community that we can all see that this will be ok in the end and we’ll have a fantastic companion to a great game. Keep it going guys ? .

I hope you are also working for a way to switch language, at least to English, wothout being forced to mess with the operative system of the telephone

It would be great, if there was ability to show ONLY cards and pilots OWNED (in collection), while designing new squads.

Where is it?

App hadn't updated, all working now!

Edited by Invader Ste

I certainly appreciate you guys fixing the bugs but honestly the line about you guys being dismayed more than us is insulting it best. How in the world did you guys find out about all the problems on launch day like the rest of us?!

This is supposed to be the heart of the game now and how you build squads. It's very disheartening to hear that you guys didn't place any real importance on the builder's development until after it was launched. I mean geez guys, there are community apps that didn't have access to 2.0 that are way better. There is really is no excuse for how badly your team dropped the ball here!

Like the other users I'm glad to see you guys fixing the problems and hopefully you'll make the app all it was promised to be but this was a really really bad start for you guys.

It really needs to have an offine mode and print functions to truly be worth while.

Edited by smauel

Thanks for letting us know you're working on it. Just remember, No plan survives first contact.

Keep up the good work.

OFFLINE-use! Please. I was just sitting in an aeroplane, with no internet connection, and thus unable to use the iOS App.

I can think of a lot of situations, where I would be planning a squad offline. Please make it possible.

1 hour ago, LeiserLers said:

OFFLINE-use! Please. I was just sitting in an aeroplane, with no internet connection, and thus unable to use the iOS App.

I can think of a lot of situations, where I would be planning a squad offline. Please make it possible.

I was in my game store with no reception unable to open the app.

Awesome how none of the negative comments are making it in only the ones praising y'all. ?

Couple of functionality issues I noticed (I think):

When I was building a 2.0 list (not extended), the escape craft isn't listed as a possible ship, but Lando's Falcon is listed. I think this is an error, as the escape craft should be a legal 2.0 ship?

Also, the ability to see a) both sides of a dual-sided upgrade card, and b) the dials of the ships you are building out, would be very helpful to have.

There is an issue with the Syck fighters where it is not saving the jamming beams I have selected after I save my list

Edited by VorpalHeart

Loving the new app but found some bugs on IOS

- no Tarkin crew to choose

- configuration for gun boat does not provide cannon slot

- sometimes previous pilots and lists appear when making new lists

Suggestions for moving forward

- allow copying of ships with upgrades after made

- allow viewing cards without editing

- add a tournament management portion to app

- add rules

- add bomb and other such description cards as quick reference

Thanks for your time, have a great day!

Hello,

EMPIRE CONVERSION KIT DOES NOT HAVE THE PILOT CARDS THAT WERE ADDED LATER ABOUT 5 or 6 SHIPS.

I DONT KNOW IF ANY OF THE OTHER CONVESTION KITS ARE MISSING SHIPS ADDED LATER.

38 minutes ago, Alphaborn said:

Hello,

EMPIRE CONVERSION KIT DOES NOT HAVE THE PILOT CARDS THAT WERE ADDED LATER ABOUT 5 or 6 SHIPS.

I DONT KNOW IF ANY OF THE OTHER CONVESTION KITS ARE MISSING SHIPS ADDED LATER.

There wasn't the little extra bag of pilots in yours?

Any further updates to the app yet to make it a tiny bit useful?

4 hours ago, papy72 said:

There wasn't the little extra bag of pilots in yours?

Check you Tube Empire Conversion kit. From big orbit games. This is the 2nd Video I have seen with this information

Edited by Alphaborn
Not complete
  1. Get a person or two that actually play X-wing. No, your secretary or the idle people at the Arkham Horror design team won't do.
  2. Make them download any of the free, community built squad builders. It's okay if they are for First Edition.
  3. Tell them to build a couple of squads. No, random pilots sprinkled with random upgrades isn't enough. Make them build some of the winner squads of previous years.

Then

1. Ask that or those people to do the same in FFG's squad builder.
  2. Note down every comment of frustration that they express. In particular: waste of screen real estate, lack of ability to copy a ship and all its upgrades, lack of obstacle selection, generally bad user experience with un-tappable buttons, weirdly nested scrollbars, and dropdowns, ready squads don't show descriptions for equipped upgrades unless you edit them and click them one by one...
  3. Self reflect why FFG's squad builder is so unfit for real X-wing players. Was the design of your builder driven by the needs of the players, or by the marketing team?
Edited by Azrapse

Nicely put.

8 hours ago, Azrapse said:

Was the design of your builder driven by the needs of the players, or by the marketing team?

I don't think it is the marketing teams fault or they don't actually have a marketing team and just have PR people.

The thing that gets me about the builder is there is huge analytical data potential with this thing that they're not getting. The Collection aspect of the thing is a gold mine for how people buy and build from what they buy except you can't make choices between only building with stuff in your collection and building with anything.

There is a lack of any sort of sharing of squads within the app between players and any win/loss tracking.

There isn't any tourney stuff or organized play stuff in here. You can't go to a tourney or just to game night and see all the lists that beat you or that you beat. So you can't mine that for new ideas and see if your collection contains that stuff or if you need to go get more stuff.

There isn't a built in way to run a league.

They can't see what people are building and winning and not winning with for errata purposes or to inform future design.

Other than it isn't easy to make and print proxy lists this squad-builder is really a failure of marketing.

And I still can't believe I'm making an argument for tracking me. ?‍♂️

18 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

The thing that gets me about the builder is there is huge analytical data potential with this thing that they're not getting

What gets me is that not only it is the worst X-wing squad builder tool there is, it is also the worst game companion app FFG has ever released.
That tells me that FFG is less interested on X-wing than on almost any other game in their catalogue that has a companion app.
And let's not forget that most of those other games don't really need those apps, they are just nice optional extras. However, X-wing needs it at a core fundamental level for list building and event participation.

Any software can have defects or hiccups at launch. That's fine.
But the abysmal production values put on this one is more worrisome than the defects of the software itself. It tells you about the attitude of the company towards the product.

1 minute ago, Azrapse said:

But the abysmal production values put on this one is more worrisome than the defects of the software itself. It tells you about the attitude of the company towards the product.

I agree there. It isn't the bugs. It is awful before you get to the bugs. I think it probably also speaks badly of the attitude towards the customers.

39 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

I agree there. It isn't the bugs. It is awful before you get to the bugs. I think it probably also speaks badly of the attitude towards the customers.

That's extremely harsh. I've been using it since Saturday and had very few problems, and certainly none that weren't easily resolved. As far as production values go the app looks perfectly fine to me, and once the bugs have been ironed out it should be more than up to the job.

It certainly compares favourably with the 1st edition mobile apps I've used.