Space station, Satellite & more

By LinoB, in Star Wars: Armada Painting and Modification

Asteroids look great! Can't wait to get my hands on them!

21 hours ago, LinoB said:

Hi everyone

More asteroids news !

What I planed for asteroid distribution on token was 4 on the larger one a 3 on both of the other so a total of 10 asteroids. I worked on them a good part of the weekend. I manage to finish all of them, reducing polycount allow me to separate them in 2 pack of 5, I would have liked to make them in a single pack but to reach this level of polygon they will look somewhat minecraftiest.

Side note about the station, from @Admiral Calkins and some other peoples feedback, I have made a mirrored and a "dual side" variant of the station base.

As always suggestion and feedback are welcome !

here some screen of the asteroids:

for size compare

5hP6UhS.jpg

a little render

rj4VhBx.jpg

You tease! I was already set to drop both into my cart.

Seriously though, those look great! I look forward to adding them to my collection!

Space station Painting finish !!!

7pBmz1e.jpg

jHI4CGC.jpg

Hi all

Sorry for the lack of news ;) I get pretty busy lately. I did not get my order of the asteroid/support prototype yet, from the tracking I will get them this week.

Meanwhile, I started to think about the debris fields, the first thing is I will use the same fitting that I made for the asteroids. So things will become even more customizable over time. I know we see an ISD and a shattered CR90 on the tokens, but, I would like to do something different. I think about modeling *Arquitens fragment(I have this ship in mind because it's in both CW and GCW era, so fit well as old"remnant"/new"live" debris).

*The Arquitens I see one problem with this one is I can fall in the same situation that happened to Space Rock.

My other idea is to make broken pirate ships or somekind of cargo ship. But seriously I have no define idea of the thing, so this is why im asking what would you like to see as debris fields props ???

Please keep in mind cost so stay in small ship or one med size in parts.

And thanks to Gwendolyn (a Shapeways member) here a pic of the large size Mercy class

Y022d0Y.jpg

For the debris fields, make sure everything is a new sculpt. Change scale slightly, if you do use any ships FFG has made. Make it obvious that this is your own artistic creation, based on the game.

Space Rocks was hit because he made molds of "damaged" actual FFG ships, then just recast them in resin.

@cynanbloodbane Thanks for your advice and the precision about Space Rocks !

But I'm still wondering what the community would like as debris ?

to be sure it's your own sculpt, go for Uglies! lamba shuttle body with Tie wing, X-tie Tie-x,

or reshaped small ships, squared corvette front, twin tail frigate, four-reactors CR9x or scattered bunch of 'vette reactors

or explosion clouds....

Honestly, I would go with ships that span both the Clone Wars and The Galactic Civil War. Venator, Acclimator, Concilor cruiser, Gozanti (original version).

Love the idea of Uglies!

There’s a risk that if you even incorporate any - even own made - components that are recognizable as being derivative from Star Wars IP, there can be issues or at least threat of issues.

Burning debris, sheets of metal, just scrap ?

On 8/14/2018 at 3:43 AM, Drasnighta said:

There’s a risk that if you even incorporate any - even own made - components that are recognizable as being derivative from Star Wars IP, there can be issues or at least threat of issues.

Mel miniatures seems to doing fine with that, so I don't think that's an issue.

Edited by Atromix
Just now, Atromix said:

Mel miniatures seems to doing fine with that, so I don't think that's an issue.

Shapeways is different - you’re at least hiding behind that.

... and it is a potential issue, even if it hasn’t yet come to pass... I say as a shapeways member and creator ...

2 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

Shapeways is different - you’re at least hiding behind that.

... and it is a potential issue, even if it hasn’t yet come to pass... I say as a shapeways member creator ...

Dras, what have you created on Shapeway's? I'm genuinely curious.

6 minutes ago, cynanbloodbane said:

Dras, what have you created on Shapeway's? I'm genuinely curious.

Nothing fancy or even really interesting, I'm afraid.

Mostly movement and blast templates branded for a local Charity Wargaming tournament, as well as running some of my Prototype ship trays through it...

Thanks for the reply and suggestion !

On 8/13/2018 at 4:23 AM, gounour said:

go for Uglies! lamba shuttle body with Tie wing, X-tie Tie-x,

or reshaped small ships, squared corvette front, twin tail frigate, four-reactors CR9x or scattered bunch of 'vette reactors 

Uglies are an idea but I think figther may end up hard to sculpt broken in mid air and will also make the obligation of debris to be made out of FUD because of their size, I could do somekind of hybrid ship for sure...

On 8/13/2018 at 12:06 PM, cynanbloodbane said:

Honestly, I would go with ships that span both the Clone Wars and The Galactic Civil War. Venator, Acclimator, Concilor cruiser, Gozanti (original version).

Love the idea of Uglies!

This is why my initial though were about making and arquitens.

On 8/13/2018 at 1:43 PM, Drasnighta said:

Burning debris, sheets of metal, just scrap ? 

These where in my mind auto included as small orbiting parts around the main destroyed ship ;)

On 8/13/2018 at 1:43 PM, Drasnighta said:

I know :( This is the official answer you will get if you ask permission to disney :

edit: I wanted to make the station we see in EAW so I sent an email to Petroglyph they answer me to ask Disney, so I have sent a permission request to Disney. It was in the time I made my first topic about making a station, a couple month ago and get this email some week after.

Thank you for your email requesting authorization to use STAR WARS™ vehicles, ships and any other proprietary elements from the Star Wars motion pictures in connection with your 3D printed tabletop miniatures. Although we appreciate your interest, we cannot grant you the permission you seek. We receive many requests seeking permission to use material from the Star Wars motion pictures, and we are unfortunately unable to grant permission for uses that are not associated more closely with our films.

Lucasfilm Ltd. is the sole and exclusive owner of the Star Wars motion pictures and any other Star Wars properties. These properties and unique elements that appear therein are protected by the copyright and trademark laws of the United States and other nations. Please note that any unauthorized use of these names, characters, music and images would, at a minimum, be inappropriate. Therefore, please take care not to make any commercial use of our properties.

Sincerely,

Christopher Holm

Business Affairs

Lucasfilm Ltd.

still look a bit confusing to me... Edit: The first part seems to suggest they can grant permission only if its relative to what's figure in the movies!? The second part is more clear and at least know to everyone, but, it still sound like they dont care that much as long we dont make money out of it !?

Edited by LinoB

A bit unrelated question to the post above but what's the difference between the "Large" and the "standard" base size? Could you post a comparative picture please?

48 minutes ago, Norell said:

A bit unrelated question to the post above but what's the difference between the "Large" and the "standard" base size? Could you post a comparative picture please?

Actually, I only have a standard variant, so I'm unable to make a side by side comparison picture, the main difference is a size increase of 25% (except the peg and fitting hole).

If you look at the picture on this topic mine stand at VSD height and kind of fit in the middle of it vs the picture sent by Gwendolyn witch is a large variant and look to stand well at ISD height/size.

Also the price increase between the 2 type mainly comes from Shapeway machine space cost. As I have made the effort to reduce wall thickness.

Screen taken in blender with nominal size +/- 0.1mm tolerance:

1WdqnNk.jpg

Back to creativity and custom made stuff... I got my prototype pack yesterday so the asteroids are now available !

I just ordered my whole set couple hours ago.

I know, it's far from the final set. I have been able to test the peg and asteroids fitting, just a bit too tight, but come up perfect after you spin them in each other!

kzTlyxW.jpg

Another prototype for the adaptor asked by @E-Man720 . This thing just work perfect !!! From it I have also make and adaptor to make Mel's Golan usable on my station base.

nJNX4tK.jpg

I'm working on a secret project and shield dials will be necessary so I make some, they work perfectly on FFg base and on my prototype holder as well (the holder pin is a bit too long leaving a gap).

6rahN6n.jpg

Got my relay Sat as well, they just look great :) the pins were all a little to big this time but take like 5 sec of sanding(using watered 220 sandpaper) to get a perfect fit on all of them !

QeLrQJr.jpg

and because I was badly in need to get my Armada fix in the waiting for a new release. I get a Mc40 from Mel Miniatures, pretty nice sculpt as always, and got it painted today ! I will try to get better pictures of it ...

zvz8jgp.jpg FiRMlLy.jpg

As always suggestion and feedback are welcome !

Edited by LinoB

Custom shield dials would be very welcome. I used so many times some of my ships that the original one start to fall off...

11 hours ago, Norell said:

Custom shield dials would be very welcome. I used so many times some of my ships that the original one start to fall off...

http://www.corseceng.com/products/armada-shield-dials Make good replacement and end up cheaper than printing a set (because of Shapeways base price per file).

Hi

Just making a precision. In the asteroids pack description I have left a note about ticking the "print it anyway", but just find it's only available for me (feeling a bit stupid). So it may be better to wait until I get the manual check report to order them!

Hi

Well, my attempt to save some time resulted in a total failure, learning my lesson lol. I got feedback from shapeways yesterday, they got some problem with my stand set (broke at cleaning) so I have to rework the way parts are held together... asteroids seem to be ok(don't have manual report yet but they are printed). If everything goes well the asteroids set and support should be available in around a week, I apologise for this extra waiting time !

About the debris field I have set my mind on what I will do and because at least 2 persons like to see Uglies I will incorporate some in the "orbiting scrap"

here a better picture of Mel Mc40 paint job:

1oUuaOC.jpg

For those of you who wait for the asteroids, well I have make correction on the stand model and uploaded the file Monday. Tuesday I got an email telling me there is still part with too thin wall/wire (witch is not the case for the simple reason they are taking measurment out of unscaled file) since then I have reupload the file and got to argue with Shapeways customer service to make them understand that they are not taking measurment on the printed scale but the raw stl file...and today they just cancelled the stand from my order and shiped the asteroids. so apparently it will take some time before I can make them public :(

On 8/17/2018 at 3:44 PM, LinoB said:

I 'm working on a secret project and shield dials will be necessary so I make some, they work perfectly on FFg base and on my prototype holder as well (the holder pin is a bit too long leaving a gap).

6rahN6n.jpg

Are you going to list the shield dials and most importantly the peg caps for under the shield dials. That is what I was really looking for?

Think you could make some external racks for ships?

On 9/3/2018 at 2:07 AM, TallGiraffe said:

Think you could make some external racks for ships?

If you mean a plastic representation of what we see on the upgrade card yeah I can do the reb and imp version.

On 9/1/2018 at 4:30 PM, cynanbloodbane said:

Are you g  oing  to list the shield dials and most importantly the peg caps for under the shield dials. That  is what I was really looking for? 

If you want them yes I can make them public !

and I got the asteroids (Shapeways send them faster than light). made of white versatile processed(polish) they are just 99% matching the 3D models...just perfect!

p0v5CNR.jpg

OkO4afJ.jpg

I goig to reorder the stand pieces next week so dont despair ;)

Edited by LinoB