Custom Guardians

By dkw, in Fan Creations

illustrations are much nicer this way ! good job.

You should check out this link for a large archive of mythos related images. (if you haven't already)

As for an arkhamesque rendition of three card monty. not exactly but close.

callofcthulhucloverclub.jpg

Or for the food cart you should use this

v004noodlehy6.jpg

A new guardian. Intention is to enhance encounters in the stable locations.

AShadowFromThePast-Guardian.jpg

This would make Ursula a crazy character to play.

One question, what do you mean by "clear" stable location?

OK two questions did you mean for spending the clue token in the street to have an encounter be mandatory?

Veet said:

This would make Ursula a crazy character to play.

One question, what do you mean by "clear" stable location?

OK two questions did you mean for spending the clue token in the street to have an encounter be mandatory?

Ursula.. did not think about it, but I think that is OK :-)

clear was meant to be no gate and open. Any other terminology would be great.

Yes, mandatory. So, in one hand it is a benefit, in the other it is not. Any suggestion on wording is very welcome.

Opening power: just label "Start of Game:" Before isn't necessary.

One More Question: Looks fine but you should refer to the stable location in the possessive "stable location 's special ability"

On the Lookout of Mysteries: During the Arkham Encounter phase investigators in streets must spend a clue token and have an encounter at a stable location of their choice with no open gate in their neighborhood. If there is no such location or the investigator has no clue tokens, nothing happens.

Last one looks OK...at least I can't think of a better way of phrasing it.

great. thank you Veet. Will do the update asap.

OK. Updated.

amikezor said:

OK. Updated.

A little question: "investigators are forced to spend a clue token while in a street area..." does this imply the move to the chosen stable location and after having an encounter there they return to the street area they're coming from or should they remain inside the location?

Start of the game ability: what about locations with special abilities? The way you worded this rule implies that no special ability can be activated, am I correct?

Julia said:

A little question: "investigators are forced to spend a clue token while in a street area..." does this imply the move to the chosen stable location and after having an encounter there they return to the street area they're coming from or should they remain inside the location?

Start of the game ability: what about locations with special abilities? The way you worded this rule implies that no special ability can be activated, am I correct?

I did not think they move, but this may be equal to move back and forth. Do you think it would make any differences ?

Start of Game: right, no special capacity. The whole purpose of this guardian is to make stable encounters more significant. ;o)

amikezor said:

I did not think they move, but this may be equal to move back and forth. Do you think it would make any differences ?

In some rare cases, yes. You finish your movement in a street area and evade a monster. Then you are forced to spend a clue token to move to a stable location and then you return to the street. The monster is still there. As far as I've understood from a Tibs observation in a different thread, every time during AE phase you move to an area with a monster, you have to deal with it. So basically, if you move and return, I think you have to evade the monster again.

Viceversa, in case you move from the street to a location to have an encounter and you remain inside the location, the flyers movement during the Mythos phase can be different

amikezor said:

Start of Game: right, no special capacity. The whole purpose of this guardian is to make stable encounters more significant. ;o)

Yeah, this could be great. Stable locations are rarely used (sometimes *never* would be better. I never had an encounter at Gilman's House in Innsmouth, nor in the other stable location in the lower left corner - I cannot remember the name, sorry. And I play with the Innsmouth board almost every time we play Arkham)

In some rare cases, yes. You finish your movement in a street area and evade a monster. Then you are forced to spend a clue token to move to a stable location and then you return to the street. The monster is still there. As far as I've understood from a Tibs observation in a different thread, every time during AE phase you move to an area with a monster, you have to deal with it. So basically, if you move and return, I think you have to evade the monster again.

OK let's stick with the "you do not move". gran_risa.gif

Yeah, this could be great. Stable locations are rarely used (sometimes *never* would be better. I never had an encounter at Gilman's House in Innsmouth, nor in the other stable location in the lower left corner - I cannot remember the name, sorry. And I play with the Innsmouth board almost every time we play Arkham)

yop that is what the poor stable locations are doomed for. There are many attemps to boost them up. This Guardian is an attemp in this direction too.

Thank you for the feedback.

amikezor said:

yop that is what the poor stable locations are doomed for. There are many attemps to boost them up. This Guardian is an attemp in this direction too.

Thank you for the feedback.

Thank you too for the interesting Guardian! Need some holydays to play Arkham with ease ::laughing::

amikezor said:

I don't know, I like a guardian that can turn on you if you aren't careful....more thematic that way.

I'd suggest that you change all reference from must to may . This gives players options, rather than forcing them to spend clue tokens.

Another option to encourage exploration of stable locations might be:

Whenever a Mythos card indicates that a clue would appear on an unstable location place clue tokens on all stable locations in that neighbourhood instead.

This would radically increase the number of clues in play, a little like Hypnos. It'd also make the gates at Backwood Country particularly nasty.

I agree about changing all of the "must"s to "may"s.

Well, changing the must to may really changes this Guardian into a nice guy... and I am not sure I want this gran_risa.gif . I am not convinced may are more fun than may (though still open mind to discussion ;o)

Plus, would anyone pay one clue to have an encounter in a stable location ? I bet no...

I'll think about it more...

Veet said:

amikezor said:

I don't know, I like a guardian that can turn on you if you aren't careful....more thematic that way.

100% agree. However, it fear that it may sound too technical in the end and it already forces you to spend clues...

Jake yet again said:

I'd suggest that you change all reference from must to may . This gives players options, rather than forcing them to spend clue tokens.

a month later, I finally came to agree with you. So I updated the gardian:

AShadowFromThePast-Guardian.jpg

After a little testing, here's an update to the "Streets of Arkham" guardian. A few slight rules changes, and I also figured I should reference gate locations, plural, because of the new Lurker Mythos cards... There's also a few tweaks to the existing Street Tokens, as well as three new ones; the Mayor, the Donation Bin and the Protest Group. I haven't tried this version yet... hopefully this coming week... but I think this will work a little better than the last version.

The-Streets-of-Arkham-Front-Face-1.jpg

StreetTokens-1.jpg

Four more Street Token ideas... I probably have enough at this point to keep the variety there, but of course I'll be happy to consider any suggestions for new ones to include or to replace/tweak other ones.

BlackMarketDealer1.jpg

MobHit1.jpg

FruitStand1.jpg

Ambulance1.jpg

I was about to print out the guardian sheet (above) for this to playtest with, when it occurred to me that there seemed to be something wonky about it... it didn't make sense that new Street Tokens should appear when gates open, and that they would go away when a gate was closed or sealed. It should be the opposite, really... So here's an updated version:

The-Streets-of-Arkham-2.jpg

And here is the latest collection of Street Tokens:

StreetTokens_b.jpg

StreetTokens_a.jpg

So what do you do? Do you print these out of photo paper and glue them to card board to play with? Would you play these with just the base game? I like this street idea.

I printed them on sticker sheets (reduced the size to be 1.125 inches each) and attached them to square wooden chips I found at Michael's.

I've also made them in circular shape, to put on wooden discs. Here are all of the full-size files: http://s746.photobucket.com/albums/xx107/Grudunza/Streets_of_Arkham/

Yeah, it's on a scenario sheet, but it's a guardian, really... Any ideas for a Final Battle bonus for the Train Station and River Docks? I might consider making this a "Good Karma" guardian and then creating a "Bad Karma" herald.

Karma-Front-Face.jpg

And the Karma Token...

karma_token4a.png