Custom Guardians

By dkw, in Fan Creations

Yeah, I pretty much gathered that. If I were the sort of person to use Guardians, I'd seriously consider using yours :'D

I like this one very much ! I enjoyed the thematic context of it. excellent.

I changed the price for hermes (made 2 gates for coded mssg and darke blessing)

I was wondering how you would do that without taking up too much space, good job there.

As for Servants of Nodens, I'm also interested if anyone has better or more efficient phrasing for what I've said there, some of it feels clunky to me but I'm not sure how. Don't worry, I can take it gui%C3%B1o.gif .

Hrm... I'll try to remember to edit it for you later this week if I have time.

I don't think I have anything to add that the others haven't said before- but I had to congratulate you guys for two very cool Heralds, Hermes would help getting those cards that we barely pull out from the box anymore into the limelight & The Nightgaunts are VERY cool- very thematic, very appropriate.

I think the prices for Hermes are fine now that you have changed them- two gates is more then enough in my honest opinion, its quite a worthy sacrifice.

And the nightgaunts- well, I believe i easily understood the guardians abilities, I don't think its clunky at all- but we'll see what Avi has to say about it, I am afraid I don't have enough experience to be able to judge effectively.

Saldre said:

I don't think I have anything to add that the others haven't said before- but I had to congratulate you guys for two very cool Heralds, Hermes would help getting those cards that we barely pull out from the box anymore into the limelight & The Nightgaunts are VERY cool- very thematic, very appropriate.

I think the prices for Hermes are fine now that you have changed them- two gates is more then enough in my honest opinion, its quite a worthy sacrifice.

And the nightgaunts- well, I believe i easily understood the guardians abilities, I don't think its clunky at all- but we'll see what Avi has to say about it, I am afraid I don't have enough experience to be able to judge effectively.

Oh, it's very understandable, it's just we could probably cut the text length to a half. Just guessing without looking. Take my original version of The Lich King. it was originally quite bloated, and then after I came back to it a year or so later for editing (after I had gotten a lot more experience creating custom creations and helping other people edit their custom creations), I was able to reduce the size by a lot.

Veet said:

I was wondering how you would do that without taking up too much space, good job there.

As for Servants of Nodens, I'm also interested if anyone has better or more efficient phrasing for what I've said there, some of it feels clunky to me but I'm not sure how. Don't worry, I can take it gui%C3%B1o.gif .

Start of Game: place one Nightgaunt in the sky and the rest on this sheet.

Agents of the Great Abyss

When an Arkham or Other World encounter causes a random monster to appear (without a gate), a Nightgaunt from here is faced instead.

Nightgaunts are Nightmarish 1 spawn monsters that return here when defeated in an encounter, and to the Sky if they are defeated on the board. They move with the crescent and slash symbols, and are not removed from the board by gate closings. [Turning it into a spawn monster is probably a better idea so it won't mess up the monster limit, and the endless language was kind of redundant functionally].

Nightmares

Nightgaunts treat investigators in Arkham with the Dreamlands or Unknown Kadath trophy as if they were in the street, regardless of their locations.

Nightgaunts [in Arkham? Otherwise it’s going to lead to weird situations in Other World encounters— which would be fine in my opinion, I’m just not sure if you’d want it] move investigators to the nearest Gug instead of the nearest gate if one is on the board.

So. Presumably:

Nightgaunts in Arkham move investigators to the nearest Gug instead of the nearest gate, if one is on the board.

OK finally cleaned up the text on Servants of Nodens and added a little flavor text to it.

Just translated it in french and store it to the french wiki...

Needs some more Street Tokens, but here's what I've got for now...

The-Streets-of-Arkham-Front-Face.jpg

StreetTokens.jpg

Life in the Streets: I love this idea so much. I'm definitely saving this one.

Very nice !

When I have a little time later today I'll look over and see if I can't find some text reducing edits that can be done.

I updated the Streets guardian sheet to say that Street Tokens never move into a vortex (moving the opposite direction). That change should reflect at some point on the image above.

Veet said:

When I have a little time later today I'll look over and see if I can't find some text reducing edits that can be done.

Yeah, for the Salesman, Trolley, etc. I tried to keep it succinct, but it's tough. One obvious change for the Salesman would be to remove Unique Items. Actually, I think there should probably be more than one Salesman... one that sells a Common Item and one a Unique Item.

I think I'll replace the Snake Oil Salesman with the other Salesman. Being that it's a guardian, I'd rather not have an outright negative character in there.

So then...

Salesman1.jpg

Salesman_2.jpg

As I said on BGG, it's a great idea.

My 2 cents :

Rumor for 2 clues should be elusive -2 or giving only 1 clue at -1 non elusive. I dont like the picture too, not arkhamish at all...

Ice cream vendor may give 1 stamina or 1 clue token instead of sanity (wich is already given by the preacher)

The salesman will always have a target so it may be boring/powerfull to draw an item each turn. Maybe It's better to make it stalker and eventually fast. And it removes its first paragraph...

Dietch said:

As I said on BGG, it's a great idea.

My 2 cents :

Rumor for 2 clues should be elusive -2 or giving only 1 clue at -1 non elusive. I dont like the picture too, not arkhamish at all...

Ice cream vendor may give 1 stamina or 1 clue token instead of sanity (wich is already given by the preacher)

The salesman will always have a target so it may be boring/powerfull to draw an item each turn. Maybe It's better to make it stalker and eventually fast. And it removes its first paragraph...

I like how the Gossip works (I agree about the picture, though), as she gives the 2 Clues but causes you to be delayed, which can really hurt when you're trying to get things done. I changed her to be black-bordered, but I don't think she should be elusive... you want to be able to avoid her because she might talk your ear off. If you're desperate for some clues, then she might be worth taking the time to talk to, regardless, as she knows everything going on.

I would agree about the Ice Cream Vendor except that you never know if the Preacher will also be out there at the same time... and being that it's specific to ice cream, that actually has more of a "sanity" effect on people, being a particular comfort food. But perhaps instead of an ice cream vendor, it should just be a generic food vendor that can provide stamina.

I changed the salesman to be a stalker... good idea. I also changed it so that when you encounter him, your movement ends (so he can waste some of your time and you might want to avoid him) and you may (instead of "must") buy an item for $1 above the cost.

Thanks for the input!

OK this is going to possibly be lengthy, there is a lot to cover here.

First, I don't know if I've said it yet but I like this idea, a unique way to create a live feel to Arkham, just needs a little spit and polish to work smoothly.

Some suggestions on mechanics; I would suggest giving the tokens a discard clause along the line of "(effect happens) then return token to the cup". If you go with this suggestion i would also remove the three per town limit. In theory that should allow the tokens to cycle through with more variety and would prevent people from trying to do stuff like camp the gossip to try for 2 clues each turn. I'll talk about this a little more later in the post.

The Guardian: I'll do a paragraph by paragraph here.

Right Side: I would phrase like:

Start of Game: Place the street tokens on this card, return them to this sheet when returned to the cup.

Seperate cups can be a pain and I know this is mechanically similar but it involves a little less of the necessary clarification involved.

Left side First Paragraph:

At the end of the Mythos phase roll a die. On a success place a random street token from this sheet at the street adjacent to the gate location on the Mythos card (first players choice if there is no gate location).

I would consider changing the appearance location to the street adjacent to where the first clue appears, there's almost always a clue appearing even if a gate doesn't open so fewer special cases that the first player has to resolve.

Second Paragraph: As mentioned before I would remove this and add a discard clause to each token. Otherwise I would phrase like:

There is a limit of 3 street tokens per board. If placing a token would exceed this limit the first player must first return to the cup one street token already in play.

Third Paragraph: Here is where we're going to save a lot of space.

Street tokens move and are encountered like monsters but do not end movement.

Fourth Paragraph: If you add the remove clause to the tokens this part would be unneccisary otherwise combine it with the above paragraph and phrase it:

Investigators may only encounter each street token once per turn.

Fifth Paragraph: I would consider removing this as well, it would be somewhat thematic to have the town gossip snooping around the Watley farm and run afoul of the other Watley twin, or a salesman visit innsmouth never to be heard of again. But that's a mater of taste. If you keep it combine it with paragraph 3 and phrase:

Street tokens do not enter vortexes, instead they move opposite if their movement would require them to.

That is it for the guardian, the edit on paragraph 3 should give you a lot of room left on the sheet if you wanted to include other things, also you may want to consider moving the quote to the left side just under the power title like most quotes are. I'll cover the tokens in another post Dietch already made a few suggestions I would have and I have a 2 year old wanting attention atm.

Ack, I made a lengthy reply and hit publish but then it wasn't there...

Anyway, Veet, thanks much for your input. You'll see in the update above that I incorporated some of your suggestions.

Some suggestions on mechanics; I would suggest giving the tokens a discard clause along the line of "(effect happens) then return token to the cup". If you go with this suggestion i would also remove the three per town limit. In theory that should allow the tokens to cycle through with more variety and would prevent people from trying to do stuff like camp the gossip to try for 2 clues each turn. I'll talk about this a little more later in the post.

Someone on BGG had suggested that the Street Tokens should leave the board whenever a gate is closed or sealed and they are in that neighborhood, so I went with that and added monster surges to make it a little more frequent and unpredicatable. I also thought the terror level should be a factor, thematically speaking, and I went with removing the last Street Token added because it would be easier to remember which one that was, and also because I think that people who had been around longer would be more likely to stay around, being used to things more... But there might be a better way to determine which one(s) to remove when the terror track rises.

Left side First Paragraph:

At the end of the Mythos phase roll a die. On a success place a random street token from this sheet at the street adjacent to the gate location on the Mythos card (first players choice if there is no gate location).

I would consider changing the appearance location to the street adjacent to where the first clue appears, there's almost always a clue appearing even if a gate doesn't open so fewer special cases that the first player has to resolve.

Actually, I think it's the opposite... There are fewer clarifications needed with gate locations on Mythos Cards... almost without exception (the double doom tokens), there is exactly one gate location per Mythos Card. But several Mythos Cards have no Clue location (i.e. Rumors) and several have two Clue locations.

Investigators may only encounter each street token once per turn.

Fifth Paragraph: I would consider removing this as well, it would be somewhat thematic to have the town gossip snooping around the Watley farm and run afoul of the other Watley twin, or a salesman visit innsmouth never to be heard of again. But that's a mater of taste.

Yeah, I agree. There might be some clarification needed, though, as far as whether a Street Token moving into a vortex should trigger the usual efffects (e.g. Deep Ones Rising Track, Dunwich Horror Track, etc.).

A few more Street Tokens... with an emphasis on earning money.

ThreeCardMonte1.jpg

NewsReporter1.jpg

StrayDog1.jpg

I am not sure I love the pictures so much (especially those last 3)... I saw that you changed gossip > good !

I would change all photographs to drawings... this may take some time to search for new ones, but I really think it is worth it :-).

why is the news reporter a stalker ?

amikezor said:

I am not sure I love the pictures so much (especially those last 3)... I saw that you changed gossip > good !

I would change all photographs to drawings... this may take some time to search for new ones, but I really think it is worth it :-).

why is the news reporter a stalker ?

Yeah, graphics as opposed to pictures would be better, but there is some limit to what's realistic to find... I mean, try to find a graphic-rendition (especially in COC/AH style) of three-card monte... good luck with that. For my use as a custom fan variant, and considering how small the monster chits are, anyway, these will look fine as they are. Yeah, I can probably find a better dog, at least...

News reporters are stalkers, no?

Alright, I discovered the "watercolor" effect in my image program, so I ran the Three-Card Monte and Busker and Stray Dog (with a new dog picture) through that. Seems to be a better fit to the style. And there was a good CoC image for the news reporter...

ThreeCardMonte1.jpg

Busker1.jpg

StrayDog1.jpg

NewsReporter1.jpg