Custom Guardians

By dkw, in Fan Creations

kroen said:

Funny. It doesn't to bother you Hermes is low quality. I guess it is me you hate, not my actions.

Now it is.........and amikezor uses a resolution that is twice that of yours.

Now on to the critique......wow you do not like a chalenge do you....

Ofcours I do. The fact I make something doesn't I would play with it.

You're right kroen. Everyone is just picking on you for no reason.

I'm kind of amused that you can't even see the difference between your images' quality and those of everyone else. Keep insisting there's no problem. That'll work.

Amikezor,
really a nice Herald. I do not surf through the Guardians thread often, since I generally do not use Guardians at all, but... that's great. Simply because it allows you to explore deeper the game, triggering some options that generally are not that easily available. I'm gonna print it, and use it happy.gif

Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
@amikezor: I wanted to clarify my earlier praise of Hermes. I'm not a huge fan of the Guardian mechanic as it currently exists. When I look for an Ancient One, Herald or Guardian I don't look at how hard or easy it makes the game but HOW it accomplishes that. Hermes is fairly subtle but most importantly it helps to bring forward elements of the game that tend to get buried under other stuff and doesn't hit you over the head with them. Job well done Amikezor.

@kroen: Perhaps it was also a bit unfair of me to just comment on yours with a single snarky remark. Your guardian is simply put and "I win" button, Perma blessings for everyone is bad enough but curses that almost instantly disappear an Asylum/Hospital hybrid and a nonitem boost to every roll in the game is just horrible.

In response to your comment, or at least what I think it translates too, why would you make something you wouldn't want to use? What it the point? It is painfully obvious that you do not consider quality of work to be any value, I mean just look at that sentence you just cobbled together. Low quality images matched with low quality thought put into the mechanics, for that reason alone I will probably not critique most of your creations, they are lesser than the other creations. It's a shame because there are a few genuinely good ideas hidden amongst the garbage.

The guardian doesn't make anyone start with a blessing. Learn to read. And Hypnos is stronger. All of my guardian's abilities are active (meaning you have to do something to activate them, e.g. trophies for a blessing, $5 for a heal, etc.) excpet for the doom ability. Hypnos has only passive abilities, and great ones at that.

There's a phenomenon having to do with custom creations, not just for AH. I made a lot of MTG cards and I noticed that whenever I made a powerful card, it is immediately considered overpowered. I see it's also exists here. The fact something is strong doesn't automatically makes it broken.

Btw after the "lesser" and "garbage" in your post I have decided to stop taking you seriously. Go to hell.

Nah, you're going to continue to take me seriously because you like to argue. Nothing to be ashamed of, I'm the same way at times and this forum lacks moderators so it's just asking for it, but I will attempt to stay on topic.

You need to reassess what makes a power active and passive. True Hypnos has passive abilities but your guardian does as well. The only thing that could be considered to be active is paying to get healed, which as I pointed out in my last post is just a super Asylum/Hospital mashup.

Altering the rolling for blessings and curses is passive, and skewed to an extreme. I could see allowing a reroll or extending the threshold for the roll on the curse but you've prety much just hand waved the rolling away, for the most part a blessing stays and a curse goes away.

The other two powers are passive as well, their triggers are just dependent on the active power.

It's arguable that this guardian is more powerful than Hypnos and a moot argument as well since I already stated that he is done poorly.

Oh and one more thing, since you make such a big deal about the quality of the images elsewhere I need to point out that since your resolution is less than the other that actually does make your images lesser.....literally...as in not an opinion, it is a fact they are of lesser quality than the others.

Oh, and that they're garbage is also a fact?

serio.gif

Veet, I'm just telling you in advance, unless you're in the mood for an argument you won't win (in the sense that you're dealing with an unpersuadable person), don't bother. I don't want you to stress out over this. Last time Kroen was his charming self, several members of the forums left, I'd rather people who were getting annoyed by him just basically ignored him unless he did something absolutely outrageous. So. You've been warned ;')

Avi_dreader said:

Veet, I'm just telling you in advance, unless you're in the mood for an argument you won't win (in the sense that you're dealing with an unpersuadable person), don't bother. I don't want you to stress out over this. Last time Kroen was his charming self, several members of the forums left, I'd rather people who were getting annoyed by him just basically ignored him unless he did something absolutely outrageous. So. You've been warned ;')

I'm aware, but thanks for the heads up. He kind of proved my point by responding to me gui%C3%B1o.gif . You have to admit though it's not every day you get to match wits with a person who has an entire wiki dedicated to how much of a douchebag they are.

Now now Veet, according to Kroen, it's everyone else that's the problem, not him. Let's be fair to his point of view ;')

Hey! I'm proud of that wiki happy.gif

Avi_dreader said:

Now now Veet, according to Kroen, it's everyone else that's the problem, not him. Let's be fair to his point of view ;')

Meh, I'll buy into the 'teach the controversy' type attitude when were allowed to teach in schools that man was licked out of a giant salt block by a cosmic cow as an alternative to evolution.

Now on to the topic at hand, Avi what do you think Hermes would need to be truly great?

Veet said:

Avi_dreader said:

Meh, I'll buy into the 'teach the controversy' type attitude when were allowed to teach in schools that man was licked out of a giant salt block by a cosmic cow as an alternative to evolution.

Now on to the topic at hand, Avi what do you think Hermes would need to be truly great?

That's a... Very interesting point of view. I should probably stop sacrificing cows to God, he might get offended.

I think Hermes is basically fine (keeping in mind I don't personally like Guardians and won't use him anyways), except for the special condition flipping costs, they're too low. Special conditions (well, at least Rare Book Collection and Darke's Blessing— Coded Messages is decent too, and if fully exploited, quite powerful— i.e. investigators can go into gates without the proper amount of clues, relying on other investigators to bring them to them after they emerge) are a big deal. They should cost the same as an ally or deputization.

Velma's Gratitude doesn't even worth 1 gate trophy. Rare Book collection is probably worth 1 gate trophy (or the 5 toughness of monsters). Coded Messages is easily worth 2 gate trophies and Darke's Blessing is priceless (although 3 gate trophies would be a fair price).

Avi_dreader said:

That's a... Very interesting point of view. I should probably stop sacrificing cows to God, he might get offended.

Norse Mythology...It's Odin you have to worry about there.

So Avi, as people who when not satisfied with something we pick at it until it fits what are some ideas that may make the guardian mechanic interesting enough to use? I liked the idea of a guardian pulling out and showcasing certain aspects of the game that tend to get buried, and much like the heralds duty of forcing the players to vary their tactics to cope a guardian should probably offer new avenues to explore rather than just make things easier. Thematically this should probably include cost or risk.

Heh... But I like to do all that with heralds ;'D

wow... left the forum for few days and now the guardian thread is alive... happy.gif

@Veet and Julia: thank you for the positive feedback.

@Avi and Kroen (for suggestion on the price):

well... it is all a balance of keeping it simple although avoid a strong definite advantage. I could certainly modulate the prices depending on the conditions.

Velma's gratitude is certainly the less helpfull, drake's benediction or coded message the best. But drake's is "only" Mandy capacity (though less good), it won't totally evaporates the game diffculty and Coded message is "only" Patrice capacity (though less good).

Looking at how you much you are suppose to pay for them: Darke's Blessing sacrifice 1 blessing (ie. 1 Gate) . Rare Book collection - 1 Necronomicon. Coded message - 1 gate 1 clue. Velma's gratitude - take 1 injury (if you have a combat 4). OK, true enough using 1 gate, coded message becomes cheaper (it is indeed very powerful).

On the first version, I had different 2 prices one for velma and rare books (1gate) and one for coded message and darke's blessing (2 gates).

But, really, would you go for an ally or for the drake's benediction if you had 2 gates to spend ? I think I would go for the ally.

Not so easy to fix the right price. Anyway, these conditions will help the investigators but will not be decisive on the game issue I think. :-)

For Hypnos, when I play it (not so often I have to say), I remove the clue if not picked before the next turn, otherwise it is way too powerfull.

The question I would have would be how well do the encounters that give allies stack up against ma's boarding house cost wise? It does seem to me that the randomness of getting something from an encounter or the trawling through the encounter deck otherwise should be factored into the cost.

good point. So what prices would you suggest ?

amikezor said:

good point. So what prices would you suggest ?

I'd say the same as the cost of an ally? I'm not entirely sure what this is referring to though.

Thought I would take a stab.

Servants-of-Nodens-Front-Face.png

Interesting... But I don't use guardians :')

Well I know that.....

I was trying to see if you could make a guardian that would be thematically and mechanically interesting without being a gimme. I think it has potential to be a powerful ally to the investigators but can also swing the other way. I added nightmarish 1 to the nightgaunt to act as a toll, the gug thing is mostly for theme but a potential cog in the machine.